Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Detroit declared most dangerous city » Archive through November 19, 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Alexei289
Username: Alexei289

Post Number: 1324
Posted on Sunday, November 18, 2007 - 5:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just what we needed...

http://www6.comcast.net/news/a rticles/national/2007/11/18/Da ngerous.Cities/?cvqh=itn_detro it

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 750
Posted on Sunday, November 18, 2007 - 5:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Darn, we got there by one score. Come on, give us the benefit of the doubt and (at least) tie us with St. Louis. Gas Station Wars don't count.

(Message edited by DetroitRise on November 18, 2007)

Alexei289
Username: Alexei289

Post Number: 1325
Posted on Sunday, November 18, 2007 - 5:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I guess we should be proud of that "grit".

Iaintgotnostyle
Username: Iaintgotnostyle

Post Number: 218
Posted on Sunday, November 18, 2007 - 5:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit? Dangerous? Pshaw,,,,,,,I only moved to Rochester because I wanted something a little more boring.

I cant go out in the afternoon in Rochester, but Detroit? dangrous. Naaaaaaaaaaaa I don;t but it.

Wow, I would never have believed it!

(Message edited by iaintgotnostyle on November 18, 2007)

Ed_golick
Username: Ed_golick

Post Number: 865
Posted on Sunday, November 18, 2007 - 6:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WOO HOO!

Thecarl
Username: Thecarl

Post Number: 1166
Posted on Sunday, November 18, 2007 - 6:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Detroit declared most dangerous city

please. we're the *nation's* most dangerous city. if you're not careful how you quote the article, it could be damaging to the city's reputation.

remember: say nice things about detroit! :-)

Miesfan
Username: Miesfan

Post Number: 49
Posted on Sunday, November 18, 2007 - 6:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Gas Station Wars don't count

Tell that to the families of people killed in the cross fire of gas station wars you insufferable little narcissist.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 3844
Posted on Sunday, November 18, 2007 - 6:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can non-Comcast subscribers read the story at that link? I've tried to link to Comcast stories before but it would ask others for their Comcast username and password.

(I'm a Comcast subscriber and I can read it fine.)

Pjazz
Username: Pjazz

Post Number: 91
Posted on Sunday, November 18, 2007 - 7:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This thread needs to die along with that assessment.

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 679
Posted on Sunday, November 18, 2007 - 7:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20071118/U PDATE/711180365

"The idea that people oppose it, it's kind of blaming the messenger," Goldenberg-Hart said. "It's not coming to terms with the idea that crime is a persistent problem in our society."

The report "helps concerned Americans learn how their communities fare in the fight against crime," CQ Press said in a statement. "The first step in making our cities and states safer is to understand the true magnitude of their crime problems. This will only be achieved through straightforward data that all of us can use and understand."

Mama_jackson
Username: Mama_jackson

Post Number: 250
Posted on Sunday, November 18, 2007 - 7:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't worry, Yahoo has the same story up tonight so you don't have to try to read it thru Comcast.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/200 71118/ap_on_re_us/dangerous_ci ties_6

Flint MI, my town is still holding tight at number 3!

Iaintgotnostyle

Post Number: 219
Posted on Sunday, November 18, 2007 - 7:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pjazz,

I think this is for you and the rest of the dreamers on this forum

". "The first step in making our cities and states safer is to understand the true magnitude of their crime problems.""

Goldensunshine
Username: Goldensunshine

Post Number: 54
Posted on Sunday, November 18, 2007 - 7:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All credibility is lost at the end of this article when they state the cities that weren't mentioned because of complete data.

There is really no conclusion made.
Yes Detroit is dangerous - we know this.
Talk about the efforts being made to turn this around. People LOVE using Detroit as a frickin scapegoat.

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 445
Posted on Sunday, November 18, 2007 - 10:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Take a look at the Detroit News version of the article, with a statement from the FBI:

----

"You're not comparing apples and oranges; you're comparing watermelons and grapes," said Rob Casey, who heads the FBI section that puts out the Uniform Crime Report that provides the data for the Quitno report.

The FBI posted a statement on its Web site criticizing such use of its statistics.

"These rough rankings provide no insight into the numerous variables that mold crime in a particular town, city, county, state, or region," the FBI said. "Consequently, they lead to simplistic and/or incomplete analyses that often create misleading perceptions adversely affecting communities and their residents."

----

If the FBI itself is say that it creates "misleading perceptions," then I'm not giving this study heavy weight.

The problem of it all is that lay people who don't look behind the numbers will just use this as reinforcement. I'm so sick of so many people telling me that I'm going to get killed downtown, or if they come downtown to meet me they will be killed. It's stupid the perceptions people have around the city. Completely f-in stupid.

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 447
Posted on Sunday, November 18, 2007 - 11:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry to double post, but that most dangerous city story made featured front and center of CNN.com with the headline "Most Dangerous Cities Go On The Attack" with a picture of Detroit down a street looking at the rencen - I can't put my finger on the street, can anyone else?

GREAT job on the PR at the DPD. I'm not joking - being quick on this stuff is key.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/11/ 18/dangerous.cities.ap/index.h tml

Detroitrise

Post Number: 760
Posted on Sunday, November 18, 2007 - 11:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's not Atwater, but I know it's somewhere around Tri-Centennial.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 761
Posted on Sunday, November 18, 2007 - 11:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ah, it's most likely Franklin and DuBois (the sign says DuBois and Woodbridge ends at DuBois, but the picture doesn't show a sign of the street ending at Dubois.

Brenda
Username: Brenda

Post Number: 28
Posted on Sunday, November 18, 2007 - 11:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

recently left Detroit (Michigan) to work/live in another nearby state. I had enough of the high taxes, housing and long commutes. My choice was personal and economic. I still have family and many friends in metro Detroit who I love dearly. When I heard that Detroit regained the title of "Murder City"....I was saddened. It seemed to be the nail in the coffin so to speak after the recent news of business's leaving, foreclosures and criminals still running the city and state. There are wonderful, good and decent people who still live in Detroit and don't kill each other...power is in the people. Get rid of the criminal leaders, city, council and state...take Detroit back...don't let the recent news media blitz on Detroit turn it into a ghost town. You have the power to make miracles happen. Don't let the media bring up the riots of 40 years ago to add to the recent statistics about Detroit as a catalyst to destroy this city. If you stand back and take this recent news posting, then you will prove them and the world correct..that Detroit is the Iraq of America...don't let them destroy Detroit. BTW: I will be spending Thanksgiving with my family in Detroit! I am not afraid!

Novine
Username: Novine

Post Number: 265
Posted on Sunday, November 18, 2007 - 11:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Crime rates across metropolitan areas might have some statistical significance. Crime rates for individual municipalities don't. Most western cities have sprawled outward bringing the suburbs into the city limits and in turn, driving down their overall crime rates as the rates in the city areas are offset by the lower crime rates in the suburbs. When Detroit gets to include Farmington Hills and Shelby Township, then we'll have a more accurate picture of how Detroit compares to places like Phoenix or Houston.

Brenda

Post Number: 29
Posted on Sunday, November 18, 2007 - 11:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Digitalvision: The street is Russell or possibly Beaubian towards Greek Town..Eastern Market Area...I hope this info helps....

Detroitrise

Post Number: 764
Posted on Sunday, November 18, 2007 - 11:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Brenda, that's impossible. The intersecting street says Dubois and it seems to be looking at the RenCen from the sides. Besides, if it was Greektown or Eastern Market, you would see all of Downtown and Lafayette Park (or a good part of it) in the picture. I'm sure it's Franklin and Dubois.

(Message edited by DetroitRise on November 18, 2007)

Brenda

Post Number: 30
Posted on Sunday, November 18, 2007 - 11:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitrise: Sorry....but the street does take you down to the Eastern Market and to the police station...that I do remember cuz as a young lady, I spent a few hours at 1300 Beaubien for not having my driver's license during the "stress years" and police stop'g cars at road blocks...anyway, hope this story makes up for my "goof'g up" the correct street, but I am right on the location....Smile!

Detroitrise

Post Number: 767
Posted on Sunday, November 18, 2007 - 11:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wish I knew how to upload a Google or MSN MAp onto here, because I know I'm right on this. I see where you're mistaken it for Brenda. However, I'm pretty sure if the Media wanted show a area of Detroit perceived as dangerous, they would have avoided Downtown and all that. The area just shy of Chene Park until recently was a desolated area that looks eerie. Franklin and Dubois is right in the middle of that. Of course, I'm sure they wanted a ok shot of a building that represents Detroit too, that way people would not have thought of it as a fake picture.

Not to mention, Dubois not once intersects Beaubien. It's ok, I will not argue with you.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 768
Posted on Sunday, November 18, 2007 - 11:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, I know Beaubien is where the police station is, but even then, it runs north and south west of I-75, and the Eastern Market is east of I-75. Either way you flip it, it's not the street in the picture. It's what you believe though.

Iaintgotnostyle

Post Number: 225
Posted on Monday, November 19, 2007 - 12:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

we made aol also yay!

Detroitrise

Post Number: 769
Posted on Monday, November 19, 2007 - 12:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We made everything, even Yahoo!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/200 71119/ap_on_re_us/dangerous_ci ties;_ylt=ApzRIoQaZMsMLtU5W2sieFus 0NUE

Brenda

Post Number: 32
Posted on Monday, November 19, 2007 - 12:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I will admit I am wrong, but I agree the picture was "damage control" in lieu of the posting of the city making it to the most dangerous...I worked at the VA medical center for 10 years before leaving and haven't ventured in the area for along time. It just looked like a street I ha been down before the Ren Center was built.....I am not pompous to admit I am wrong......

Detroitrise

Post Number: 770
Posted on Monday, November 19, 2007 - 12:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I see how it's mistaken though. I thought for a brief second that it was Beaubien or Brush as well.

Brenda

Post Number: 33
Posted on Monday, November 19, 2007 - 12:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One funny note..when I go to work tomorrow in Indiana and someone mentions the news about Detroit...I will tell them don't mess with me cuz I am from Detroit! Smile!

Detroitrise

Post Number: 772
Posted on Monday, November 19, 2007 - 12:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL Brenda, having a dangerous label does give a citizen extra backbone.