Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Detroit declared most dangerous city » Archive through November 19, 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Detroitej72
Username: Detroitej72

Post Number: 639
Posted on Monday, November 19, 2007 - 12:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's the end of the world as we know it, and I feel fine..............

Nothing new here, let's all move along...

We all know how the nation thinks, and speaks of us...

Focus on the great strides we have accomplished, and achieved downtown, and in certain neighborhoods.

As we channel our money into Detroit,(i.e. Book-Cadillac, etc,), the nation will take notice...

We're proving to the nation that Detroit is a "GREAT CITY"...

When all of metro-Detroit comes together as one, then the nation will cease to condemn us...

(Message edited by detroitej72 on November 19, 2007)

Wolverine
Username: Wolverine

Post Number: 377
Posted on Monday, November 19, 2007 - 12:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Doesn't matter, people have been calling it the most dangerous city for years. 1st, 2nd, 3rd, whatever..still dangerous.

Jerome81
Username: Jerome81

Post Number: 1655
Posted on Monday, November 19, 2007 - 12:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

as of 12:27am EST Nov 19 (monday) it is the lead story on cnn.com :-)

i don't really care about the comparos and all that jazz. Detroit has a crime problem. Fix it. Be it 3rd or 1st or even 10th. Fix it. The rest will take care of itself.

Though I will make the distinction that I don't believe this makes Detroit the "Murder Capital". This is overall crime. But I haven't crunched the per-capita murder rate from these articles, so maybe it "wins" that distinction too.

Why don't other cities report the same way? Not that I'd expect Chicago or Minneapolis to be way up on these lists, but it seems odd they can use different methods....

Detroitej72
Username: Detroitej72

Post Number: 640
Posted on Monday, November 19, 2007 - 12:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not to rain on all the suburbs' parade, but this includes all of us...

We're all part of Detroit(abiute, metro Detroit)

Softailrider
Username: Softailrider

Post Number: 89
Posted on Monday, November 19, 2007 - 1:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For openers get rid of the damm open air drug markets on the neighborhood streets . Then maybe , things will get better from there .

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 680
Posted on Monday, November 19, 2007 - 2:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

De Nile is not just a river in Egypt.

Hagglerock
Username: Hagglerock

Post Number: 465
Posted on Monday, November 19, 2007 - 4:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's 11pm here in Hawaii and the article is still on Yahoo's main page. I've been using yahoo for many years now and never seen a news story on it's front page for this many hours. Makes me wonder are they trying to tell us something.
More Detroit bias, methinks so.

Crash_nyc
Username: Crash_nyc

Post Number: 1052
Posted on Monday, November 19, 2007 - 5:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's just a bit of sensationalism to carry them through a slow news overnight.
Besides, Yahoo didn't birth this story, the Associated Press did.

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 1260
Posted on Monday, November 19, 2007 - 6:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Must be because of all the junkies hanging around the Masonic Temple.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 6815
Posted on Monday, November 19, 2007 - 7:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When BROTHERS KILLING BROTHERS in the ghettos of Detroit. The police, DEA, ATF, SWAT, and FBI reports start piling up.

Toog05
Username: Toog05

Post Number: 157
Posted on Monday, November 19, 2007 - 8:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Made it to the home page of MSNBC as well...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21 870766/

Genesyxx
Username: Genesyxx

Post Number: 812
Posted on Monday, November 19, 2007 - 8:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Of course its front page news. <sigh>

Wazootyman
Username: Wazootyman

Post Number: 283
Posted on Monday, November 19, 2007 - 8:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Toronto Star has solved the mystery of our population decline:

"Detroit was pegged the U.S. murder capital in the 1980s and has seen nearly 1 million people killed since 1950, according to the Census Bureau."

That's about 48 people a day...

http://www.thestar.com/News/ar ticle/277632

Gumby
Username: Gumby

Post Number: 1639
Posted on Monday, November 19, 2007 - 8:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I find these dangerous city lists to be a little laughable. I mean I live in the city of Flint (#3) and hang out quite often in Detroit. I have only once ever witnessed a dangerous crime (Super Bowl Shooting in Campus Martius) in either city. I am not denying the crime problems in either city because it is bad and needs to be addressed but the fact is most crimes are not random unlike the super bowl one. If you don't go looking for trouble 955 of the time it is not going to find you. I would be willing to bet that more than half of the murders in both cities are drug related. Perhaps we need to rethink how we address that problem and things might start to look up in other areas.

Aoife
Username: Aoife

Post Number: 37
Posted on Monday, November 19, 2007 - 8:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Take that St. Louis!

There is more than a little bit of schadenfreude involved in compiling such an list....I don't understand the need for such a thing. It is not like you are warning anyone about something they are not aware of already. Is there anyone out there who doesn't have an idea of the roughest cities in America? Do we really need to break down the statistics blow by blow- it makes it seem like some sort of competition.

Carolcb
Username: Carolcb

Post Number: 2759
Posted on Monday, November 19, 2007 - 9:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have to say there are people you will never convince regarding Detroit - so there is no use worrying about those people.

My question would be this - are the New York numbers separated out by boroughs? Or not?

Buddyinrichmond
Username: Buddyinrichmond

Post Number: 249
Posted on Monday, November 19, 2007 - 9:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am outraged. How dare they.

Zulu_warrior
Username: Zulu_warrior

Post Number: 3249
Posted on Monday, November 19, 2007 - 9:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Brenda

Detroit isnt the Murder Capital

its New Orleans:

http://www.nola.com/news/t-p/n eworleans/index.ssf?/base/news -7/1181026980265890.xml&coll=1

Hpgrmln
Username: Hpgrmln

Post Number: 280
Posted on Monday, November 19, 2007 - 9:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quit laying off cops or this will happen ext year, too.

Iaintgotnostyle
Username: Iaintgotnostyle

Post Number: 227
Posted on Monday, November 19, 2007 - 10:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"My question would be this - are the New York numbers separated out by boroughs? Or not?"

No, why would they be? the 5 boroughs are NYC, not Manhattan alone. That would not make sense. In the 5 boroughs there are 16 1/2 millions. Look at the stats when comparing crime.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 2224
Posted on Monday, November 19, 2007 - 10:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are not 16 million people in the 5 boroughs.

Dj_tom_t
Username: Dj_tom_t

Post Number: 6
Posted on Monday, November 19, 2007 - 10:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hopefully this will be the catalyst to get law enforcement to focus on all the petty crime that goes on in the city.

I'm talking about car theft, home invasions, even littering or public urination.

Go zero tolerance on petty crime, and violent crime tends to decrease.

Iaintgotnostyle

Post Number: 229
Posted on Monday, November 19, 2007 - 10:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"There are not 16 million people in the 5 boroughs"

my bad, thats the entire state, the boroughs are around 8 or 9 mill

Genesyxx
Username: Genesyxx

Post Number: 815
Posted on Monday, November 19, 2007 - 11:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's the report on the U.S. Conference of Mayors dispute of this so-called study:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/usnw/2 0071118/pl_usnw/the_u_s__confe rence_of_mayors_challenges_cit y_crime_rankings

Among other reasons the rankings are bogus, the Conference said, are these:

-- In computing the rankings, Morgan Quitno/CQ weights automobile theft as
equal to homicide. "Most people would probably prefer to have their car
stolen than to be murdered," Mayor Duffy noted. "You would not know
this from the rankings."
-- The rankings are shaped in good measure by the geography of the city
they examine. Older U.S. cities are generally smaller and do not
contain middle-class, low-crime areas that lie in their suburbs; newer
cities, by contrast, tend to have wider boundaries that contain these
neighborhoods.

In addition, the FBI became so concerned by the rankings that it posted a disclaimer on the web site where it posts the UCR figures (http://www.fbi.gov/ucr/cius200 6/about/variables_affecting_cr ime.html). The disclaimer reads:

Caution Against Ranking-Each year when Crime in the United States is published, some entities use reported figures to compile rankings of cities and counties. These rough rankings provide no insight into the numerous variables that mold crime in a particular town, city, county, state, or region. Consequently, they lead to simplistic and/or incomplete analyses that often create misleading perceptions adversely affecting communities and their residents. Valid assessments are possible only with careful study and analysis of the range of unique conditions affecting each local law enforcement jurisdiction. The data user is, therefore, cautioned against comparing statistical data of individual reporting units from cities, metropolitan areas, states, or colleges or universities solely on the basis of their population coverage or student enrollment.

Media needs to cover this part of the story more than the actual survey.

Iaintgotnostyle

Post Number: 231
Posted on Monday, November 19, 2007 - 11:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

damn De Nile is not only in Egypt, my man above was right.

Iheartthed

Post Number: 2226
Posted on Monday, November 19, 2007 - 11:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The problem with statistics is that most people don't know how to use them.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 3706
Posted on Monday, November 19, 2007 - 11:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

43% of all statistics are innaccurate. The other 59% are questionable at best. In a recent poll, 34% of people said they would not take a poll if asked to.

Iheartthed

Post Number: 2227
Posted on Monday, November 19, 2007 - 11:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^LOL.

Nainrouge
Username: Nainrouge

Post Number: 362
Posted on Monday, November 19, 2007 - 11:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quote: The report "helps concerned Americans learn how their communities fare in the fight against crime," CQ Press said in a statement. "The first step in making our cities and states safer is to understand the true magnitude of their crime problems. This will only be achieved through straightforward data that all of us can use and understand."

I do agree with this part. Why won't DPD be more forthcoming with their data? I think that more granular analysis of the crime problem would point out that not ALL of Detroit is dangerous and some places (like downtown) are relatively safe. They only report data at the city level and then only because they are required to by law. Because businesses and individuals do not have this data, they will avoid the entire city.

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 2782
Posted on Monday, November 19, 2007 - 11:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The sad thing is this a such an easy problem to fix if the people really wanted to do so...

There's such an enormous potential benefit to doing away with the criminal tendencies that lead to these kinds of statistics, and at a very little cost...