Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Just got back from Detroit ...again. and a funny story « Previous Next »
Archive through November 21, 2007Lobsterpots30 11-21-07  10:36 am
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Eric_c
Username: Eric_c

Post Number: 1105
Posted on Wednesday, November 21, 2007 - 10:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you want a big, beautiful house in a stable, quiet, low-crime area with great neighbors, you need to look in Islandview Village, "The Gateway to Belle Isle".

Coming soon at auction: 2549 Field Avenue. 1905 Tudor, five bedroom with solarium. 4000 sq ft. All hard wood. Needs all new electrical, heating, plumbing. House roof is less than ten years old. Two-car brick garage with loft had a tree fall on it, so it needs a new roof and some framing, but otherwise solid.

If you could pick it up for $20 - $30k, it would only need about $50k to make it into a real fine family home with a little equity to boot.

A $100,000 renovation mortgage would more than cover you and you would never be disappointed with your choice.

Anyone considering a house in the city NEEDS to do themselves a favor and check out Islandview Village.

I'm always happy to answer questions or even show people around.

Lobsterpots
Username: Lobsterpots

Post Number: 38
Posted on Wednesday, November 21, 2007 - 10:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Craig:
Greed of the banks, (not the realtors) for not aggresivly marketing the homes for realistic prices. If they were priced right, they would have moved. Realtors would have made commish on ten small sales instead of nothing.
Banks need to come to terms with market conditions and the values of their REOs and the credit crunch that is keeping people from obtaining mortgages.
I sold my Trailblazer last summer. it booked out for $15k. I advertised it and sold it for $8900 in a week on Craigslist, knowing there is little demand for SUVs. The guy across the street was selling his at the same time. Same year same everything. He wanted all the money, I'm looking at his out the window right now, with the same faded sign on it. Now were past oct.1 , its another year older.
Better to make the fast nickel than the slow dime.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 10845
Posted on Wednesday, November 21, 2007 - 10:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I beleive that the Pointes have rules regarding how many places can be rental. They also have amazing schools and an incredible park system and tight knit neighborhoods.

I think that there will be a further decline in pricing but given the access to water, homes, schools, etc they won't go to junk.

Jt1

Post Number: 10846
Posted on Wednesday, November 21, 2007 - 10:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On realestateone.com there are a couple of great IV foreclosures that look like they are in good shape:

Listing #

2553 Seminole St
170K - 4000 sq ft. Look like a beatiful home

2250 Seminole St
160K - 3900 Sq. ft. Looks like it needs some work but a unique exterior design

2415 Seminole St
130K - 3500 SQ. Ft. Is on a nice corner lot.

Sstashmoo
Username: Sstashmoo

Post Number: 600
Posted on Wednesday, November 21, 2007 - 10:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He was only packin' a Glock? Sounds like a pretty good neighborhood.

Detroit will never turn around until the crime problem is addressed. I took a tour the other day and noticed all the new houses being built. They look nice. Unfortunately, looks like the same old activities are going on. Dealing etc. Infrastructure alone will not repair this city.

Lobsterpots

Post Number: 39
Posted on Wednesday, November 21, 2007 - 11:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Randolph mass had amazing schools, a tight knit community also. although the parks were never anything to write home about.
Prices came down, and now we have crime and two black eyes. Kids killing kids on main street in broad daylight during rush hour. The town is tarnished, nobody wants to live here anymore. We are the butt of jokes around the Boston metro area and the south shore. You tell someone you live in Randolph and they look at you funny. Check out rants and raves in Boston type in Randolph. I would hate to see that happen in the Pointes.

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 9952
Posted on Wednesday, November 21, 2007 - 11:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sstashmoo. Careful, you will get the Citylover treatment by those up in here for saying the "C" word.

Lobsterpots

Post Number: 40
Posted on Wednesday, November 21, 2007 - 11:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

huh? what C word? I see no mention to the see you next tuesday word.

Jt1

Post Number: 10847
Posted on Wednesday, November 21, 2007 - 11:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Goat - It isn't that most don't agree that crime needs to be addressed. The issue many have with CL is how he appraoches the topic, the fact that he openly admits that he was part of the problem for years but takes no blame for contributing to the crime in the city and his complete inability to acknowledge that the crime issue in Detroit is a result of years of bad decisions, flight, etc, etc.

Cl seems to take the approach that crime just happened and that those of us that live here condone it or ignore it. I agree the crime issue needs to be addressed but I get really fed up with listening to someone who contributed to the drug/crime issue for years taking his holier-than-thou approach to lecturing us about it.

The fact that he ignores that the crime is a result of many other issues that occured over the last 50+ years is annoying as well.

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 449
Posted on Wednesday, November 21, 2007 - 11:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Crime is a problem, absolutely, and in some areas more than others.

Police response needs to get fixed. We get real police response, you'll see crime drop like a rock. Outside of a few areas (downtown, or WSU police coverage area), response times are pathetic.

It's psychological - if you know that the cops won't show up for at least an hour or two after someone does call, you're going to feel pretty bold as a criminal. It's one of the reasons (as much as I get indignant) that I know people who dump in the city. They feel like it's free and nothing is going to happen to them - and they feel that if the residents cared, they'd elect leaders who'd do something real about it.

Unfortunately, I don't think we as a humanity have as good as a moral compass as we'd like to think. In general, if we don't get punished for something, we do it.

Is the DPD just understaffed? I think Rep. Kilpatrick and especially Conyers in his position of power needs to go fight for some federal funds and make a huge impact in the city that he loves - and obviously loves him. I've heard reports of only having one or two cars on patrol per district sometimes from cops.

Although I am for strong scrap regulation, it is obvious from the post above they'll get around it by selling it directly.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 4055
Posted on Wednesday, November 21, 2007 - 11:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lobsterpots, thanks for sharing the story. I'm glad you keep coming back and that you are seemingly able to put the safety concerns of Detroit in perspective.

I know of multiple homes in Grosse Pointe that have been broken into while for sale; in one of the cases, it was specifically for copper.

The Grosse Pointes will never be like Boston-Edison, with vacant, unkept homes and poor security/safety. It just won't. It has too far to fall, and before it ever falls that far, the City and region will have rebounded and living in a unique suburb near downtown will regain some popularity. GP governance will never be like Detroit governance/services, and can obviously never be stigmatized like Detroit.

GP has seen serious home price declines, due to mainly structural factors. There's just a large supply of homes on the market because of jobs moving from Detroit, but even more so because of the age of the population. Tons of old people who held onto thier houses are dying off; GP remains popular among families because of the schools. There were similar devaluations in the early 80s, when my parents got in near Mack Ave.

In the end this will make GP even more accessible. Which is fine. A 6000 sf house on Beverly, one of the most amazing residential streets I've ever seen, it now selling for $1.1 mil. It would have been 2 mil in 2000. Honestly that's fine with me. And then you have houses of 3000 sf that used to sell for 500-750k now selling for 300-500k. That increases accessibility. It will increase diversity, too, and in the end make the city better, if less prestigous. What we'll see is a crunchier, more liberal city. They'll be dozens of remaining elites surrounded by a large population that is more liberal than the middle-upper class that has traditionally lived there. It probably wouldn't be too difficult to draw comparisons to a lot of aging suburbs in the eastern US. There's South Orange/the Oranges in NJ, which are disdained by many people because of their proximity to Newark (and crime), but loved by others for that same proximity to Newark and of course NY, and because of the character of those cities. Even more so than the past, GP will probably be loved or hated.

If you want to purchase there or in any historic Detroit neighborhood right now, it's probably a good call. I don't see how home values could drop too much lower, and long term, investing in any place with character (and potential for new interest and growth) will pay off.

I still can't get over your story. If ever there was a situation to convince me that gun possession might be a good idea, it's something like that. The realtor knew he could be walking in on a bad situation, and knew that the cops weren't coming...especially since the house was vacant and it was mere property crime. I don't care if the realtor was from the burbs or not, I can actually understand his fear.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 2235
Posted on Wednesday, November 21, 2007 - 11:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

The fact that he ignores that the crime is a result of many other issues that occured over the last 50+ years is annoying as well.

I think we've got a winner!

Spacemonkey
Username: Spacemonkey

Post Number: 267
Posted on Wednesday, November 21, 2007 - 1:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not a big fan of crime. That's why I choose not to live near it.

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 1999
Posted on Wednesday, November 21, 2007 - 2:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

You really believe that all stealing is just a moral choice, not an economic choice?

Sure, some people are just thieves, but when there are no jobs to be had and you have become hopeless, you really don't think some people turn to stealing to eat??

That's still a bullshit argument, though. In this day and age, you DON'T have to steal to eat. There are soup kitchens, food stamps, and other ways to get enough food to eat. I'm not aware of these programs running out of food on a regular basis such that people are starving for lack of food. (If that were the case, we should do everything within our power, including raising taxes, to make sure everyone has enough food to eat. Which would be fairly easy, since food is cheap.)

Now, realistically, there is an economic factor to the increase in theft, but I'd guess most of it is in order to pay for drugs, alcohol or other relative luxuries, or possibility more legitimate things such as rent and food. But even then there is still a moral choice between stealing and going to the homeless shelter/soup kitchen, or moving in with your relatives, etc.

Stealing should never be tolerated in any form. It's much more costly to society than giving out food & shelter for free.

Dougw

Post Number: 2000
Posted on Wednesday, November 21, 2007 - 3:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Craig:
Greed of the banks, (not the realtors) for not aggresivly marketing the homes for realistic prices. If they were priced right, they would have moved. Realtors would have made commish on ten small sales instead of nothing.

You're basically right, but I would argue it's mostly incompetence and shortsightedness on the part of the banks, along with short-term greed. The incompetence is what led to the ridiculous loosening of standards in the last couple years, ARMs, mortgage fraud and the corresponding housing bubble which has now burst, and now they're paying the price. (See the stock prices for a number of lenders.)

And the incompetence continues with their inability to secure their own REO homes, or sell them in a timely manner. In relatively stable neighborhoods such as B-E, this stripping of copper & architectural items could have been prevented in most cases by the bank turning power on at the home and installing an alarm system for a few hundred dollars. But they'd rather save on that expense and instead let the property be completely stipped/trashed and devalued by tens of thousands of dollars. Morons. This destruction of assets probably hasn't even been reflected yet in the bottom lines of these lenders, so look for more losses and bankruptcies ahead. Some lenders have avoided most of this mess, of course, but the ones deep into it (Washington Mutual, Countrywide, etc) are probably going to go out of business.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 3784
Posted on Wednesday, November 21, 2007 - 3:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Banks doing a poor job of maintaining homes should be no surprise. It isn't what they are in business to do. They don't want to be real estate managers, they want people to pay their mortgages. Which is why anybody looking at forclusure should call their lender and try to work something out, the last thing they want is another home empty and deteriorating, slowly losing them more and more money.

Dougw

Post Number: 2001
Posted on Wednesday, November 21, 2007 - 3:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

The funny part is that you'd waste your time looking to buy any of those foreclosed homes in Detroit. No offense, but that can't be a very wise business decision.

Not true, if it's cheap enough. It all depends on the price. If it's really dirt cheap it can make financial sense.

Lobsterpots

Post Number: 41
Posted on Wednesday, November 21, 2007 - 3:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is one house that I looked at at the corner of Boston and Linwood. Last house in BE. What a dump. The tenants (I saw the eviction papers stapled to the door frame) trashed the place so bad, they smashed one of those original indoor decorative pewabic tile fountains to smithereens, smashed the furnace. the roof is ruined and the kitchen is torn out. windows missing, & there is junk everywhere and filthy. There asking 10k for it they will be lucky to get $500.00.

Dougw

Post Number: 2002
Posted on Wednesday, November 21, 2007 - 3:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Banks doing a poor job of maintaining homes should be no surprise. It isn't what they are in business to do.

True, a lot of it is probably the banks being overwhelmed by the sheer number of foreclosures, which they haven't had to manage in the past. Still, they need to take some action above and beyond what they used to do to protect their assets from being completely destroyed.

Lobsterpots

Post Number: 42
Posted on Wednesday, November 21, 2007 - 3:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had a long talk today with a national credit manager from one of my major merchandise suppliers. This is a major manufacturing company. I can't of course reveal their name. She told me that things are so bad with with their dealers in Michigan. She told me that they owe this company so much money that they should just write them all of them off, as so many have gone or are going out of business. Tens of millions of dollars is owed and they will never see a penny of it. Its like the economy of entire state of Michigan is collapsing. I sit here 604 miles away as the crow flies, and I know its headed here too. I see the winds of change coming this way.

Sstashmoo

Post Number: 601
Posted on Wednesday, November 21, 2007 - 4:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quote: "anybody looking at forclusure should call their lender and try to work something out, the last thing they want is another home empty and deteriorating,"

Yes, that or Lenders should look at developing some sort of second chance mortgage plan. These folks know what the house is worth wholesale. They know the costs they will incur for maintanence in the interim. They should pro-rate the value and let the existing homeowners refinance at that price. Lower the payment and they might be able to afford it then. And retain the rest of the homes retail value in some sort of escrow, that the owner could tack on to their mortgage later, like when the economy recovers. Better than whats happening now. If the house is sold then the seller is liable for the original selling price based on the retail.

I don't know how many commercial properties have been vacant for years because the owners are holding out for 2003 prices. Rough times, adjust.

Citylover
Username: Citylover

Post Number: 2754
Posted on Wednesday, November 21, 2007 - 5:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I understand your attacks on me jt1 for lack of a better description. I think you are a bit misguided. Because I came to Detroit bought drugs and left many man years ago I should be silent on this forum about crime? How do you know whether or not I was involved with the police? Or that I didn't get in trouble?

You have things a bit askew. I am one of the redeemed ones(not in a religious context)I changed.You should hope that waht happenned to me happens to a lot ofother people..........I am not the problem. And frankly I was never really a problem. Armed robbery, murder, breaking and entering etc, etc those are the problem makers.

Here is something that illustrates one idea on when crime began to get a stranglehold on Detroit

http://www.mackinac.org/articl e.aspx?ID=4784

Digitalvision

Post Number: 452
Posted on Wednesday, November 21, 2007 - 6:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Even the prices dropping by half makes over there on Beverly still stratospherically out of reach at for the class of people who do what they did to that former beauty on Boston-Edison.

As I work in the city a lot, I get a lot of concerns from folks about my safety. Although semi-misplaced and exaggerated, I also know they worry about me.

I have a friend who had a homeless neighbor wander into his slightly open door in Eastern Market - now, that doesn't necessarily shock me 100%, but if I tell most people this story, they freak the heck out. All the time when I'm in Troy or Royal Oak or anywhere north of 696, I get made fun of for habitually locking my car.

It's a matter of perspective, I guess.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 3793
Posted on Wednesday, November 21, 2007 - 6:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"All the time when I'm in Troy or Royal Oak or anywhere north of 696, I get made fun of for habitually locking my car."

Car theft is actually pretty high in Troy, isn't it? I could be off the mark, but I heard that's a hot spot for auto theft.

Digitalvision

Post Number: 453
Posted on Wednesday, November 21, 2007 - 7:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is in spots, Johnlodge. But it's not perceived that it is.

I also believe you're just as likely to have your car window busted for the change in your dash in downtown Royal Oak as downtown Detroit, too. I've seen it a ton of times - and I got hit up by two homeless guys in downtown Royal Oak today when I was dropping some stuff off.

Goes back to my point I keep making about perception - it "feels" safe to the vast majority of people, regardless of the actuality.

Sstashmoo

Post Number: 602
Posted on Wednesday, November 21, 2007 - 7:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You get made fun of for locking your doors in Troy? Why? They have car thefts too. Next time they make fun of you ask them if they have their house keys? Crime is a problem all over the metro area, not just Detroit. Downtown is a bit better in a way as it doesn't lull people into a sense of false security. I always lock my doors, no matter where I am. Thieves are everywhere.

Lobsterpots

Post Number: 43
Posted on Wednesday, November 21, 2007 - 7:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I dont feel unsafe in Detroit. However I think that the city should do a better job with fixing street lights. Some streets seem very dark with only a handful of lights on. I think the city needs to correct this problem. It would discourage crime.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 3870
Posted on Wednesday, November 21, 2007 - 8:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

... I get made fun of for habitually locking my car.

All car thieves make fun of people who habitually lock their cars.

Lobsterpots

Post Number: 44
Posted on Wednesday, November 21, 2007 - 11:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mackinaw:
Thanks for your response. I don't mind doing a project in BE as long as the home is in direct view of my friends' home. If I'm not able to get one there, then I will probably find something in the Pointes.
It's a shame with all of this crime. The realtor with the gun that I met is from Sterling Heights, and he listed that home in Arden Park two months ago. It has been a persistent problem since he took the listing.
I feel so bad for the owner. He somehow inherited the property from a deceased family member, had to pay a TON of money in back taxes as it sat vacant for ten years, and he still is behind on 06 taxes. He seems as though he is ready to give up after trying to secure the home time after time. He said this was the last time he is going to throw any more money on plywood and locks and hasps, only to have doors and windows kicked in over and over. He said if they get in hes not coming back again. I asked him why there was a gaping rectangular hole over the fireplace mantle and he told me that it was an ornate inlaid wooden carving of two horses. Thieves broke in about two weeks ago and hauled it out. The neighbor a few houses down saw them running down street with it and they were caught and he's going over to get it back. He's so disgusted, I think he will take anything for the house at this point. The house is completely gone inside, everything is smashed and ripped down to the studs for the most part. Floorboards torn up to get copper pipes underneath...mounds of broken up house debris is piled up in the rooms, every wire cut out of the electic panel. It would take weeks and dumpsters just to shovel it out.
While I was waiting for my realtor, the next door neighbor pulled up and said she is tired of the neighborhood and the crime, and she will be putting her home up for sale soon as she is now elderly and can't take it anymore either. She's done too.
When my realtor showed up and I went to E Boston to look at the listing I was interested in, thieves had broken in there as well and smashed the mantle to pieces and stole windows and all the lighting fixtures that were in the photos in the listing were gone as well.
Well, that's my first hand account of Arden Park as it happened Monday.
This crime problem is so huge and out of control, I don't think that there is a solution to it. There isn't nearly enough manpower to handle all of this. So many people are broke, desperate, jobless etc. and I don't see it getting any better anytime soon, as they say its going to get worse for another year of so.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 799
Posted on Wednesday, November 21, 2007 - 11:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"The humor escapes me. However, this would be an appropriate and "funny" story for a DNo forum/board."

Yeah, now this is just irony.

Eric_c

Post Number: 1111
Posted on Thursday, November 22, 2007 - 7:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So let me get this straight: You would rather live in a questionable community within sight of your friends than a great neighborhood somewhere else in the city?

Either that or Grosse Pointe?

You've been given several suggestions as to where you'll find outstanding neighborhoods like Grandmont-Rosedale, Indian Village and Islandview, yet you won't consider them at all?

That's odd to me.

Lobsterpots

Post Number: 45
Posted on Thursday, November 22, 2007 - 10:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, at least being by my friends they could check up on the property regularly. It would help them to have one less vacant home on their block. Seems to make the most sense. If something were to happen like the burglar alarm going off, I wouldnt want to have them running all around town. Its just not practical.
Indian Village has these same problems as well. Do you recall a few months ago a vacant home was stripped, the thieves were caught and the bank wouldn't even prosecute them?
I've been through Iroquois, Burns, Seminole very nice homes but too far away from my friends in BE to keep an eye on the place. I suppose if they lived in that neighborhood, I'd be looking there. GP has a better handle on crime.

Eric_c

Post Number: 1112
Posted on Thursday, November 22, 2007 - 10:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bizarre.

So, ONLY your friends will look out for you? ONLY your friends are capable of keeping an eye on the neighborhood?

Not the neighbors in Indian Village who reported the stripping which allowed for the capture of the bad guys?

Do you think that if the bank wouldn't prosecute in Indian Village, they would prosecute in GP? You're fooling yourself.

Before I started dragging realtors from Sterling Heights through Boston-Edison bank repos, I'd do a little more research into the neighborhoods and options available to you in the city.

As a matter of fact, I'm mortified at the thought of you even THINKING about moving across the country to a strange city where you would commit to buying, restoring and heating one of that city's largest homes without knowing where these dear-fucking-friends even live!

Dougw

Post Number: 2005
Posted on Thursday, November 22, 2007 - 11:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Well, at least being by my friends they could check up on the property regularly. It would help them to have one less vacant home on their block.

That's fair enough, I can see wanting to live close to them if they're the only people you know in the area. But Eric_c makes some valid points.

Unfortunately your Sterling Heights realtor friend in Arden Park doesn't know what he's doing. He needs to tell the owner to install an alarm system to protect the house. Larger vacant mansions like the ones in Arden Park are too much of a target and they need an alarm system if they're going to be vacant for extended periods. For a few hundred bucks, they'd save tens of thousands of dollars in damage. They may think it's too late to bother with now, but the home is still worth something, and there's always more damage that can be done. Responsible realtors in these neighborhoods know this.

Sstashmoo

Post Number: 603
Posted on Thursday, November 22, 2007 - 12:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's not fair that some of you are attacking this poster. He's interested enough in our city to travel considerable distance to invest here and his preferences should not be scrutinized. It's his money and his decision. If he's not painting the picture based on a real experience that you prefer, then maybe you need to be a bit more honest with yourselves.

Don't be pissed at him, be pissed at a city government that allowed the crime issues to degrade and play a deplorable host to this visitor.

Eric_c

Post Number: 1113
Posted on Thursday, November 22, 2007 - 12:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not pissed. I'm just amazed by his complete lack of rationale.

Jerome81
Username: Jerome81

Post Number: 1656
Posted on Monday, November 26, 2007 - 12:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In discussing the crime issue, I think it is a very simple thing: Criminals know that the cops will show up hours later (if they even show up in the first place). Simple as that.

If cops were on the front doorstep in 3 minutes, these crimes would nearly disappear. When they know they'll be done stripping and back home watching their televisions hours before the cops arrive at the scene of the crime, why should they worry about getting caught?

It isn't even having to catch them and prosecute them, its just that if they knew the cops would show up quick, and they MIGHT be caught (instead of feeling 99% confident they won't), they wouldn't do it in the first place.

I'm not a huge GP police lover, but I swear that a huge reason crime there is so low when you have some of the poorest areas of Detroit right next door is because criminals know if they do something in GP, the cops will be there in 30 seconds. Just easier to stay in the D and have the cops never show up. Potential payout is probably smaller, but your potential for going to jail is way smaller too.

Nickstone
Username: Nickstone

Post Number: 26
Posted on Monday, November 26, 2007 - 1:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hate to sound like a silly cheerleader broken record... but my downtown experience thusfar has been stellar in terms of police/fire response (I know this is what people rail on but anyway)... one Wednesday a month or two ago a fire alarm went off in Trolley Plaza... a friend and I watched from the exercise room (before we ran out to watch of course) and no less than six Detroit fire trucks showed up, with two ambulances... improvements under the current admin. are going inside-out... positives are starting at the immediate downtown and branching out... I agree, I spent some time recently between 8 Mile and State Fair on the east side and was frightened... police and fire presence is not what it could be.... but things take time... well regardless these are just ramblings... anyhow thanks for the postings so far and we are lucky to have this website as a fantastic resource

Lobsterpots

Post Number: 46
Posted on Tuesday, November 27, 2007 - 9:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sstashmoo:Your quote: "It's not fair that some of you are attacking this poster"
I know, WTF? Do you want your houses sold or what? This Eric_c guy seems really pissed when I mentioned that I want to live next door to my friends house in BE so they could keep an eye out when I'm not in town. If he read the posts properly it's clear that I didn't "drag realtors from Sterling Heights through BE" the realtor that was at the house where the break in occurred was already there and I had met him for the first time while he was waiting for the owner to buy plywood and the police to show up, and I was actually waiting for another local realtor (who is my friend in BE) for the house behind the one on Arden on E. Boston. I wanted to see what a 6000+ sf circa 1890 Queen Anne home looked like, and despite its missing pieces it was certainly magnificent. Nothing remotely exists like it here in my home town. He also fails to realize that this is still a free country, we as Americans can choose to live and buy wherever we want to. Although this last visit makes it clear that it is very difficult if not impossible to protect ones property from theft and vandalism. It's a sad state of affairs today & I don't know how some residents are able to handle the huge homeowners insurance, heating costs, out of control property taxes, massive car insurance rates, and having to pay a mortgage and city income taxes on top of it all. If the city wants to preserve these beautiful historic neighborhoods, then they should make these homes tax EXEMPT for a number of years, providing that homeowners maintain a certain threshold of annual receipts proving they are making improvements to the homes. It was mentioned that BE may be headed the way of Brush Park. I wouldn't be surprised if that is their fate as some of these once beautiful homes have been stripped and destroyed to the point that they are no longer economically feasible to restore. Also, we are on the brink of a national recession, I read yest. that its going to directly affect the auto industry as banks are not making nearly as many auto loans now. and there is constant reports that more foreclosures are imminent throughout 2008 and beyond. How bad can this possibly get? I firmly believe that Detroit is equally important as any other American city. I am totally amazed and shocked that our government has allowed these economic losses and ensuing decay to Detroit to happen. Concerning the historical districts:These historic neighborhoods are a jewel of the City of Detroit, when they're gone, they're gone forever. The unraveling of this community needs to stop. More Detroiters need to realize and promote the architectural assets that they have. Also, I may add that in all of my visits to Detroit I have always met friendly locals and will continue to visit.

Mwilbert
Username: Mwilbert

Post Number: 9
Posted on Tuesday, November 27, 2007 - 10:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree with Lobsterpots that some kind of subsidy to people who preserve and renovate these irreplaceable houses would be appropriate. However, the entity with the most interest in their preservation (the City of Detroit) hasn't got the resources to do this--I believe that is what they were trying to do with the NEZs, but probably that isn't enough--preservation and restoration is really expensive, especially on the scale required by the homes in BE.

The only hope is that there are enough individuals who want to preserve them and can afford to do so. Maybe there are, maybe there aren't. Personally I love the homes there, and lived in one for a short while, but my wife and I wouldn't want to undertake a project of that size, and we don't need or want a house that big. But I certainly hope a lot of other people do!

Swingline
Username: Swingline

Post Number: 956
Posted on Tuesday, November 27, 2007 - 10:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

If the city wants to preserve these beautiful historic neighborhoods, then they should make these homes tax EXEMPT for a number of years, providing that homeowners maintain a certain threshold of annual receipts proving they are making improvements to the homes.

Lobsterpots, while you undoubtedly know that it's a little unrealistic to expect this kind of tax break for historic district homeowners, are you aware of the very valuable historic rehabilitation tax credits actually available for these properties? Michigan's program is one of the best in the country. For most restoration projects, it provides a 25% state income tax credit. In other words, the state will basically pay for 25% of the cost to restore a home in a historic district. You should check it out. http://www.michigan.gov/hal/0, 1607,7-160-18833_18873-54166-- ,00.html

Mackinaw

Post Number: 4064
Posted on Tuesday, November 27, 2007 - 11:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It would certainly be a worthwhile investment for homeowners to ratchet up security at some of these houses. Get some bright lights and alarm systems.

I'll echo what a few other people have said: look at some other Detroit neighborhoods. There are other Detroit neighborhoods with phenomenal houses but more cohesion among neighbors and less crime. Boston-Edison has great location and amazing houses and bargains, but so does Indian Village and Palmer Woods, with less crime and more community organization. Even with the house price slump, you'll be paying a lot more for a lot less in Grosse Pointe. Yes there are several districts with houses almost as grand as Boston-Edison/Indian Village homes, but these, even at deep discounts, are still $1-$5 million.

Lobserpots, do you plan on private schooling for you child(ren) if you live in the city? I know I'm getting a bit more detailed now, but if you want, share your target price range and the type of house (size, condition, neighborhood context) that you're looking for. I could point you to a few particular locations in east side neighborhoods like IV, and GP, that you could be looking. I'm not saying give up on B-E, but know your options!

Lobsterpots

Post Number: 47
Posted on Tuesday, November 27, 2007 - 1:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm divorced and my teenage daughter goes to school in Fall River, MA she resides with her mother and she attends St. Stanislaus school, as you know, there is or was a St. Stanislaus school in Detroit. What happened to the school?
I had her at my house for a few days over Thanksgiving, she found out that I made a trip to Detroit earlier in the week and was so mad. We went out there last Summer and she loved it.
You see, I own a seasonal business and summer is typically a very slow time. Slow enough that I can get away. I would like to do a restoration project and stay in Detroit from June through Sept.

Rob_in_warren
Username: Rob_in_warren

Post Number: 13
Posted on Tuesday, November 27, 2007 - 1:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If a person had good credit prior to being foreclosed, still has a job, and honestly couldn't afford the mortgage... Why can't the banks work out some sort of rental deal with people getting their homes foreclosed? Allow the resident to remain in the property at a cheap rate. Make the resident responsible for maintaining and watching the house while the bank puts it back on the market. Monitor the quality of the home care, and evict the renter if they are not holding up their end of the bargain.

its a win-win. The bank gets a valuable security service, and the family can stay in the same place while they get back on their feet.

I'm sure there are complications to this idea, but banks can't afford to watch over all of these properties. These places won't be improved by renters, but won't be destroyed by the scrappers.

As these houses die off, the hope for revitalization dies as well.

I agree with tax breaks and federal/state subsidies for those who wish to rehab old, great houses. Current residents shouldn't have too much of a problem with newbies getting breaks because no one will live there otherwise, and anyone who improves a home, improves the neighborhood, and lifts up the trend in property values.

Bostonedisonrocks
Username: Bostonedisonrocks

Post Number: 26
Posted on Tuesday, November 27, 2007 - 1:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WOW - why does B-E get bashed so badly. Folks -- let it be said - B-E is NOT full of crime. We have an occasional problem with petty crimes and some stripping of vacant homes. IT IS NOT AS OUT OF CONTROL AS IT IS BEING PORTRAYED ON THIS THREAD. A number of the vacant homes have been stripped -- however, they are now priced accordingly as a fixer-upper. Check out the B-E website -- the inexpensively priced homes listed for sale have major problems ... but there are a number of well-maintained homes that are for sale as well. In fact, there are homes in B-E that will appeal to those wanting a move-in ready home to those looking for a fixer-upper.

Now, to have my say about the owners of unoccupied homes. B-E works hard to determine ownership, we send letters to the owners and request they maintain them, and report them to the appropriate city dept if they don't. The city has actually been quite responsive to our efforts -- Building Safety and Engineering sends out inspectors to ticket the owners, etc. These tickets can become quite hefty. It is my belief the only way to get an owner to maintain their property (once the nicer methods have failed) is to hit them where it hurts - their pocketbooks. BS&E is helping us do this.

I've said it before and I'll say it again -- I LIVE IN BOSTON-EDISON BECAUSE IT IS A GREAT PLACE TO LIVE. I have a great house I would never be able to afford if it was elsewhere. I have great neighbors who watch out for one another - if a neighbor's alarm goes off, 2, 3, 4 other neighbors come out to investigate. I live here not only because of the house, but because of the diversity of our community and the fact we really do have a "sense of community". I lived in the burbs before moving here 10 years ago. I didn't have the same sense of community or pride living in Royal Oak, that I have living in B-E.

Dougw

Post Number: 2006
Posted on Tuesday, November 27, 2007 - 2:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Why can't the banks work out some sort of rental deal with people getting their homes foreclosed?

Because the banks (at least the ones who got deep into this) are overwhelmed with foreclosures and they basically don't know what they're doing. They're adopting a deer-in-the-headlights approach until their assets are destroyed and they go out of business.

Lobsterpots

Post Number: 48
Posted on Tuesday, November 27, 2007 - 2:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, Bostonedisonrocks. Boston Edison does rock.
I'm sorry if I you thought I was telling a different story. My observation is that the vacant homes are being destroyed by intruders and the quality of the area is being compromised.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 4065
Posted on Tuesday, November 27, 2007 - 11:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think Boston-Edison, West Village, Corktown, and the old portion of Woodbridge are probably the best places for an aggressive rehab project. You have the most to gain in B-E, but it may take patience.

Any of those would be good places to live part-time. I'd be the most comfortable in West Village but that's just me.

Bostonedisonrocks
Username: Bostonedisonrocks

Post Number: 28
Posted on Wednesday, November 28, 2007 - 3:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lobsterp - I wasn't necessarily responding only to your comments. You are correct about the "intruders" but everyone needs to remember, B-E has 930 plus homes covering 36 blocks. There is something for everyone in our neighborhood.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.