Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » The Man Who Pied 'God' - Pat "The Rat" Halley RIP « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 4316
Posted on Thursday, November 22, 2007 - 12:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have sadly learned of the passing of a most remarkable Detroiter and friend, Pat "The Rat" Halley, playwright, comedian, satirist, underground theater activist, troubadour, and taxi driver.

Pat's most famous moment occurred during a formal session of the Detroit City Council in 1973 when he pied the then-heralded "boy god" [the "Guru" Maharaj Ji], in protest of the Guru's organization's claim of his divinity while 'God' was receiving the keys to the City of Detroit. Halley later claimed that he "always wanted to hit God in the face with a pie."

"God's" vengeance came in the form of two renegade goons from the Divine Light Mission [the front organization] who tricked Halley into admitting them into his apartment, claiming they were former DLM members wanting to expose the cult. They proceeded to assault him caving in his skull and leaving him for dead, which later required a metal plate.

Pat ran the famous Cass Corridor underground theater the Freezer Theater, a subject of recent discussion on this forum. His standup act as "Dirty Dog" the clown was as hilarious as it was outrageous as it was outstanding. I always wondered why he was never discovered and became a star. But then Pat threw his comedic pies at all gods - commercial, nationalist, cultural, even the divine. He wouldn't/couldn't fit. Pat was the classic round peg in a square peg world.

Like many artists he did not make a living from his art and creativity and, like more than one artist, was a life-long Detroit taxi driver. In recent years, failing health along with the death of his son last year weighed heavily on him. Last week he threw his final pie at himself and ended his own life.

RIP, Pat. Thanks for making us laugh so hard that it hurt!

Pat Halley's memorial is to be held
Sunday November 25th
2-5 PM at the Berkely American Legion Hall,
2079 12 Mile Rd. (248-542-7668

Rjlj
Username: Rjlj

Post Number: 429
Posted on Thursday, November 22, 2007 - 1:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's too bad. People like this are what make our city unique. We need more of them.

Dan
Username: Dan

Post Number: 1459
Posted on Thursday, November 22, 2007 - 3:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Very sad, Thanks for the info Lowell.

Sorry to hear about your friend.

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 4494
Posted on Friday, November 23, 2007 - 1:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Never met him, but enjoyed many a Friday and Saturday night at the Freezer Theater, in bleak, early 1980's Detroit.
Any man who plants a pie in the face of a religious charlatan is a hero to me.

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 4317
Posted on Friday, November 23, 2007 - 10:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In fairness to Prem Rawat [aka Mararaji], I am don't think he was a charlatan, so I should note that the divinty claim and subsequent exploitation were due to his mother's and the DLM machinations. At the time he came to Detroit, she ran the operation and organization. A year later when he reach the age of independence in India at age 16, he [gasp] married an American follower. The caused a split with his mother and the organization. He later dropped the 'guru' title, moved away from the religious trappings and may now be described as a secular humanitarian.

The last line in his wikipedia entry may reveal the difference between a 'boy god' and the real person.

"A U.S. citizen since 1977, Rawat lives with his wife in Malibu, California. They have four grown children. He holds an Airline Transport Pilot License and has type ratings for a number of multi-engined aircraft and helicopters. His résumé lists skills in computer graphics, computer-aided design and the development of aviation software. He is listed as co-inventor on a U.S. patent for a world-time aviational watch. He supports himself and his family as a private investor, and has contributed to the success of startup companies in various industries, including software."

Pat's pie probably should have hit mom, but I still wonder if that event, and the subsequent violence, may have enlightened the young Prem Rawat.

Fzappa2000
Username: Fzappa2000

Post Number: 3
Posted on Friday, November 23, 2007 - 11:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, Pat was a great guy. He took me to my first Red Wings game at the Olympia decades ago. He wore an overcoat which held six beers in the lining and we easily finished them all.

His sarcastic wit and humor was unbounded and unlike many of us, he wasn't afraid to put himself out there to be subject of both praise and ridicule alike. Hope your spirit lives on big fella'!

If anyone has any video from the old Freezer Theater Days please contact Lowell or myself and I I will see if we can show it somewhere or distribute it to those who knew and loved Pat.

Michael K.

Whaler
Username: Whaler

Post Number: 17
Posted on Wednesday, November 28, 2007 - 11:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lowell ....Do you know anything of Prem Rawat..and Yes he is a total charlatan He proclaimed himself the Living Perfect Master(God)
In New Deli 1966...He came to the United States pennyless in 1971..He created his mission here in the U.S. off the donations of thousands of young Devotees..Millions of Dollars..Yes he fly's a Gulfstream 5 Lives in Malibu, 60 million Dollar Home Private investor My Ass..He also knew of Mohatma Fakiernand's Bang Bang Silver hammer to the head of Pat..He called The Detroit ashram and had the culprits flown out of the United States(to Germany then India)The next day...To avoid Arrest...If you want to find out the true story of this so called Motivational Speaker http://www.prem-rawat-talk.org /forum/ Here is the link..Not all of his devotes think so highly of him

Xd_brklyn
Username: Xd_brklyn

Post Number: 349
Posted on Wednesday, November 28, 2007 - 12:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Though I never met him, I did get the chance to see at least one Freezer Theater play and its impression has not left me. Sorry to hear Detroit has lost another stand-out character.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.