Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » WDIV and Devin » Archive through November 22, 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Buyamerican
Username: Buyamerican

Post Number: 214
Posted on Thursday, November 22, 2007 - 11:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't know if anyone heard his remark this morning while hosting the annual parade, but Devin put a ski cap on, covered his face and said "you could knock off a 7-11 wearing this thing".

After explaining his stupid remark to my 10 year old grandson, I called the station and they already had quite a few complaints about his remark. He certainly wasn't thinking, and with the City of Detroit just receiving the "most dangerous City in the U.S." distinction, it wasn't an appropriate remark at all, joking or not.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!

WHAT YOU DRIVE, DRIVES AMERICA!

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 803
Posted on Thursday, November 22, 2007 - 11:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hmmm, I don't blame you for complaining. That is very inappropiate to say at an event like it. Especially when you consider a big percentage ofthe nation was watching and the recent safety issues.

Did Bill Bonds get a lot of complaints about his anchoring or reporting during his time?

Hudkina
Username: Hudkina

Post Number: 79
Posted on Thursday, November 22, 2007 - 11:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What has caused Americans to become so overly sensitive? Really. He made a joke, if you didn't like it don't laugh. If your 10 year old grandson doesn't know about criminals wearing ski-masks he hasn't seen very many kids movies (Home Alone anyone?).

Nellonfury
Username: Nellonfury

Post Number: 230
Posted on Thursday, November 22, 2007 - 12:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I haven't catch that part,but I wonder what Carmen was thinking when she heard him said it.
The only thing that I remembered during the SuperBowl XL is that Guy said "shitty" what he was really saying city while I was watching it on YouTube.
Happy Thanksgiving and don't eat too much!

Detroitrise

Post Number: 805
Posted on Thursday, November 22, 2007 - 12:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yep, I saw it on YouTube as well Nellon. I guess it's immoral for people on WDIV to make a joke or slip up. I'm not saying that it was the best thing to say, but he was just being liberal (and literal) with the situation.

Buyamerican

Post Number: 215
Posted on Thursday, November 22, 2007 - 12:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

His remark offended me. It was totally inappropriate. This is a Thanksgiving Day parade, mainly for children and the young at heart; it certainly was not the venue for a "joke" of that kind. Whether my 10 year old grandson didn't quite understand his meaning is irrelevant

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 694
Posted on Thursday, November 22, 2007 - 12:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I cant believe that offended anybody. Better hide somewhere!

Detroitrise

Post Number: 807
Posted on Thursday, November 22, 2007 - 12:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yet and then, if someone buys an American car and it breaks down every half of mile, it's perfectly ok. I have never in my life...

Buyamerican

Post Number: 216
Posted on Thursday, November 22, 2007 - 12:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Many people have been offended by much less and made big issues about it. Laws have been established to prevent offending people. This is small potatoes, but it was not the time nor the place to joke about robbing a convenience store.

I must assume that some of you like the distinction of being labeled the most dangerous city in the U.S. and having it publicized by a news anchor while hosting the parade.

Detroitrise...get a life.

I voiced my opinion, enough said.

(Message edited by Buyamerican on November 22, 2007)

Thnk2mch
Username: Thnk2mch

Post Number: 1063
Posted on Thursday, November 22, 2007 - 12:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd rather see a bad joke than a "Ron Paul for President" sign.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 808
Posted on Thursday, November 22, 2007 - 12:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is also Devin expressing his freedom of speech liberally. People do use those masks to commit petty crimes (everyone knows that). America is now wayyyyy to conservative. And you wonder why Europe and Asia laughs at us. Making a joke about that in one of those countries is practically a daily thing (they can take jokes like that). People like you are the reasons why entertainment is crap now, because you can't take a joke. It's irony is all. That's the funniest bit of entertainment around. Heck, Bill Bonds has said worse things than that on live TV and didn't get this many problems. This is because he ironically spoke the truth about the situations.

(Message edited by DetroitRise on November 22, 2007)

Detroitrise

Post Number: 809
Posted on Thursday, November 22, 2007 - 12:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Detroitrise...get a life."

No, you get a life. Left Wing Conservatives are the main reasons why America is in the shape it's in now. I'm not the one sitting there getting offended by Sweet Peas. Apparently, you must not have anything better to do while waiting for the food and football games.

(Message edited by DetroitRise on November 22, 2007)

Username: 1953

Post Number: 1484
Posted on Thursday, November 22, 2007 - 12:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whoa. This was bad taste, but nothing to complain about.

Matt
Username: Matt

Post Number: 1221
Posted on Thursday, November 22, 2007 - 12:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh come on people, it was a stupid little joke. Get over it.

Ed_golick
Username: Ed_golick

Post Number: 868
Posted on Thursday, November 22, 2007 - 12:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Devin is no Sonny Eliot.

Softailrider
Username: Softailrider

Post Number: 90
Posted on Thursday, November 22, 2007 - 1:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't really care for the guy , he comes off to me as kind of a milquetoast . But come on....he made a remark SOME people could think was SLIGHTLY offensive . Give him a break .

Detroitrise

Post Number: 810
Posted on Thursday, November 22, 2007 - 1:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Truthfully, Sonny isn't all that funny to me, but rather annoying.

Thecarl
Username: Thecarl

Post Number: 1184
Posted on Thursday, November 22, 2007 - 1:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thanksgiving, itself, offends many native americans. the parade should never have been broadcast, or even allowed to happen. it appears that devin scillian only perpetuated the insensivity of the occasion.

may each of you experience this autumnal holiday in the mood and manner of your choosing.

(Message edited by thecarl on November 22, 2007)

Scooter2k7
Username: Scooter2k7

Post Number: 22
Posted on Thursday, November 22, 2007 - 1:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitrise: Yet and then, if someone buys an American car and it breaks down every half of mile, it's perfectly ok. I have never in my life...

Well aren't you a hypocrite! You call yourself Detroit rise but yet you do not support what made Detroit rise. The Ohio border is about 100 miles south, dont let the door hit you on the way out!

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 2110
Posted on Thursday, November 22, 2007 - 1:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Buyamerican" ? How about "Hireamerican".

Taj920
Username: Taj920

Post Number: 267
Posted on Thursday, November 22, 2007 - 1:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Since the last 7-11 in Detroit closed years ago, what's the big deal?

Detroitrise

Post Number: 811
Posted on Thursday, November 22, 2007 - 3:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Well aren't you a hypocrite! You call yourself Detroit rise but yet you do not support what made Detroit rise. The Ohio border is about 100 miles south, dont let the door hit you on the way out!"

Just telling it like it is. Besides, when I do say something good about Detroit (which I usually do), it gets ignored. So what's all the fuss about my comment? You can't even call me a hypocrite until you take the time to read every single one of my comments.

20043_stotter
Username: 20043_stotter

Post Number: 136
Posted on Thursday, November 22, 2007 - 4:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As a quick humorous comment, it may be humorous to some and not to others. Geez, we are so uptight anymore. I guess you could ask yourself. Do robbers wear ski masks, when they commit robberies? If they do, maybe we should we make ski masks illegal? Maybe we should have a 6 second delay for all live broad and telecasts. It's abit over the top to some, I think.

Miesfan
Username: Miesfan

Post Number: 59
Posted on Thursday, November 22, 2007 - 5:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Laws have been established to prevent offending people.

quote:

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Thankfully there are no actual laws against offending people.

Flyingj
Username: Flyingj

Post Number: 48
Posted on Thursday, November 22, 2007 - 5:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"you could knock off a 7-11 wearing this thing"

Not if Denny McClain can help it.

Gplimpton
Username: Gplimpton

Post Number: 86
Posted on Thursday, November 22, 2007 - 5:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

get a life people.

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 1629
Posted on Thursday, November 22, 2007 - 6:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Count me on the side that thinks it is absurd, and ridiculous, to become upset over the comment.
Also, I am having trouble believing that the grandson gave any significant notice to the statement, much less solicited an explanation.
If it's like that, I would suggest that the TV shouldn't be on, at all.

Arab_guyumich
Username: Arab_guyumich

Post Number: 9
Posted on Thursday, November 22, 2007 - 7:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You can't fault a guy for trying to keep it real...

Wazootyman
Username: Wazootyman

Post Number: 284
Posted on Thursday, November 22, 2007 - 7:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can't believe this could offend anyone. I don't mean this as a personal attack, but really, get a life.

It's important to understand the seriousness of crime in this city, but in my opinion there's nothing harmful about poking fun to lighten up the mood a little. In fact, in this case it was such a generic remark you'd be hard pressed to say it was directed at Detroit at all.

At least it wasn't an exposed boob. God help us if that happens again. Boobs, bad words, off-color jokes and sexually suggestive situations offend almost everyone universally. I'm glad there are people out there trying to make sure I don't get exposed to such filth!

You know, I was hoping to watch Home Alone this weekend in the spirit of the approaching Christmas season, but I'm afraid I can't handle a movie that takes so lightly the serious topic of home invasion.

Wow, all that turkey has made me really sarcastic. Burf.

Falstaff
Username: Falstaff

Post Number: 95
Posted on Thursday, November 22, 2007 - 8:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What a silly thing to be upset about.