Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » The Walkerville Times- 2007 edition « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Walkerpub
Username: Walkerpub

Post Number: 190
Posted on Saturday, November 24, 2007 - 1:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The one and only edition of The Walkerville Times is currently available online for downloading (Issue #58).

http://www.walkervilletimes.co m/2007-edition.html

In this issue, we feature:

The Ill-Fate Throttle Twisters

High Hopes - Windsor Mid 20th Century Architecture by Andrew Foot aka AIW- long-time DetroitYes forumer

Olde Walkerville Business District- What's New on the Street

The Genius of Albert Kahn

Images of our Times: Historical Photo Gallery

My Old House: 1411 Kildare

Time Travel: Postcard From Quebec City

This is first time we have posted the full magazine as a PDF- it is rather big download at 14MB so if you are on dial-up it may take awhile.

Enjoy!

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 4320
Posted on Saturday, November 24, 2007 - 2:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow! There is so much there, I hardly know where to begin but here is a 'DetroitYES' suggested path. For warm ups, jump to page 18 and check out the historical photos. Old Car Factory aficionados will appreciate the aerial of Ford City.

This segues nicely into Chris' excellent "The Genius of Albert Kahn". Anyone who hasn't explored Kahn's Windsor works in Walkerville is in for huge surprises.

Backtrack to page 14 and AIW's photos of modernist Windsor for an image treat of an overlooked architectural aspect. As many of our generation decry the destruction of ornamented buildings that went virtually uncriticized in the past, the similar treatment of the modern era is certain to upset some future observers.

I also enjoyed Elaine Weeks summary of the the commercial events and changes in 'downtown' Walkerville. Walkerville is truly a jewel of our metropolitan region and its business area has a lot of charm. This week's arrival of the The Gourmet Emporium & Café, set to open in the gorgeous former Bank of Montreal building, should be a big boost. Willistead Manor is a must see.

That's just a taste. Thanks and Congrats Chris, Elaine and all contributors.

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 9961
Posted on Monday, November 26, 2007 - 9:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I quite enjoy the letters as well. A great magazine that takes a lot of time.
Thanks Chris and Elaine. Congrats on the award for Eastern Canada for Walkervile Times Book. A book that many will enjoy.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.