Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » WDIV and Devin » Archive through November 24, 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jerrytimes
Username: Jerrytimes

Post Number: 79
Posted on Thursday, November 22, 2007 - 11:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You are kidding me??? Devin's only telling to truth. Some people are way to oversensitive.

Scooter2k7
Username: Scooter2k7

Post Number: 23
Posted on Thursday, November 22, 2007 - 11:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Say something interesting than maybe I will read it. However I did you read your Jap Crap loving post. So does that count?

Dustin89
Username: Dustin89

Post Number: 154
Posted on Thursday, November 22, 2007 - 11:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What a bunch of prudes! I'm sure that none of that ten year old's friends would ever say anything more offensive than that.

Yeah, crime is a problem in America. So it's definitely not appropriate to ever make any vanilla sarcastic remarks about anything remotely related to crime in a major American city where crime may or may not occur on a fairly regular basis. Excuse me, I have to go crawl back under my rock and pull my ski mask back over my head to prevent any complex thoughts from entering.

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 454
Posted on Thursday, November 22, 2007 - 11:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Having worked with him awhile back, I would think the last thing he would want to do is offend people, especially people about Detroit, as I remember him being pro-Detroit. He's a quality guy and I am sure it was innocent.

Mcwalbucksnfitch
Username: Mcwalbucksnfitch

Post Number: 71
Posted on Thursday, November 22, 2007 - 11:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Seriously people...

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1704
Posted on Friday, November 23, 2007 - 12:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

complainin' folk are the worst kind of foo-lk

Buyamerican
Username: Buyamerican

Post Number: 217
Posted on Friday, November 23, 2007 - 8:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Now I understand why the U.S. is in the shape it's in.

Mcp001
Username: Mcp001

Post Number: 3083
Posted on Friday, November 23, 2007 - 9:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What a wimp!

I was at the parade yesterday, and I didn't need a ski mask.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 814
Posted on Friday, November 23, 2007 - 9:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Now I understand why the U.S. is in the shape it's in."

Conservatives can be so shallow of their own craziness.

Arab_guyumich
Username: Arab_guyumich

Post Number: 10
Posted on Friday, November 23, 2007 - 9:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If only we could return to a simpler, more innocent time, when men like Bill Bonds ruled the local airwaves...

Buyamerican

Post Number: 218
Posted on Friday, November 23, 2007 - 9:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You people just don't get it do you.

For a Detroit news anchor to host a parade being broadcast from the City of Detroit, to many other major cities in the U.S.; a City that was just given the "most dangerous City to live in" distinction, and jokingly (or whatever) state that he could use the ski cap to "knock off a 7-11" is wrong. It gives the impression that robberies and murder have become such a common occurrence in Detroit that people have become blase about crime. It leaves those people who do not live in the City of Detroit the impression that NO ONE CARES, even public figures. The majority of you posting here don't even feel ashamed for your City. You have become toughened to crime and choose to bury your heads in the sand, your indignation shows that.

Administration officials, Kwame, Bates, Allen, have all done the City of Detroit wrong and I haven't heard a whimper from residents, only suburbanites.

My only complaint here is that Devin should be held to a higher standard because of his position in the media.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 815
Posted on Friday, November 23, 2007 - 10:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bill bonds made wise-crakc jokes every chance he got about the problems in Detroit. Most people didn't get all uptight about it though because they were more liberal in his day.

Fnnm400
Username: Fnnm400

Post Number: 9
Posted on Friday, November 23, 2007 - 10:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

People are being way to sensative about nothing. I'm sure that it really meant nothing.. Devin really cares about the city and does a great job as an anchor.

Wazootyman
Username: Wazootyman

Post Number: 285
Posted on Friday, November 23, 2007 - 10:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pennington: "These are the Hartz Mountains of Asia. A terrain so rugged, so treacherous, no country will claim it."
Asquith: "Worse then Detroit?"
Pennington: "I'm afraid so."

Arab_guyumich

Post Number: 11
Posted on Friday, November 23, 2007 - 10:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Buyamerican, you're clearly intent on feigning outrage here, so there's no sense in trying to level with you about the absurdity of your post. However, I would like to direct you to this map of 7-11 locations for the city of Detroit, which might help ease some of your concerns:

http://tinyurl.com/36lpjr

Club_boss
Username: Club_boss

Post Number: 196
Posted on Friday, November 23, 2007 - 11:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Arab_guyumich, where in the Middle East are you from?

I'm Lebanese

Arab_guyumich

Post Number: 12
Posted on Friday, November 23, 2007 - 11:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Club_boss, I'm Lebanese too.

Vas
Username: Vas

Post Number: 859
Posted on Friday, November 23, 2007 - 11:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You people need to relax. This hardly in the range of a very controversial thing to say. Its was a stupid joke and thats it. It doesn't need a call to the station it doesn't need a thread on Detroityes

Mcp001
Username: Mcp001

Post Number: 3086
Posted on Friday, November 23, 2007 - 11:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh no, I get it.

There were kids on Woodward reaching for beads, books and candy who were wearing less outside clothing that he had on.

TV personalities are soft and Devin is still a wimp!

Mdoyle
Username: Mdoyle

Post Number: 251
Posted on Friday, November 23, 2007 - 12:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Scooter2k7, well thats completely appropriate and not in the least offensive. Really what the hell? The racist and hate mongering words you've so kindly chosen to use in a thread that is exactly about the insensitivity and or over sensitivity of the public are clearly far more inflammatory than those of Devin Scillion. Not to mention you've added exactly zero to this discussion other than your buy American hoopla.

(Message edited by mdoyle on November 23, 2007)

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 3008
Posted on Friday, November 23, 2007 - 12:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is very silly and why do you think all the 7-11's in the City closed?? If it was a profitable business they would still be there.

Cub
Username: Cub

Post Number: 90
Posted on Saturday, November 24, 2007 - 2:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They closed because they were being robbed blind(did the robbers wear ski masks I don't know)LOL. My girlfriend and I thought it was kind of funny. Devin is a cool dude.

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 96
Posted on Saturday, November 24, 2007 - 2:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

detroit is detroit, cold and bad. didn,t hear what devin said , don,t care. i buy american, live in greater detroit. this is a rough town, i too get tired of detroit bashing, but it goes with the city.

Bussey
Username: Bussey

Post Number: 618
Posted on Saturday, November 24, 2007 - 10:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

you buy american yet look at your clothes, computer, cell phone, toothbrush, digital camera, wallet, printer, dvd player, television, furniture (better not be IKEA), towels, dishes...etc

I'd say that over HALF are foreign made.

Get over it. This isn't the 1920's and we aren't a nation of WASP's anymore.

Buyamerican

Post Number: 220
Posted on Saturday, November 24, 2007 - 11:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You are absolutely right, but when I can, I will purchase whatever is made in the good old U.S.A. where the profits STAY in the U.S. and help U.S. residents like yourself and all the other pro foreign posters on this forum. Someone has to remember which side your bread is buttered on.

I am actually getting nauseated thinking about how you people are selling our country out!
WHAT YOU DRIVE, DRIVES AMERICA!
OUT OF A JOB YET...KEEP BUYING FOREIGN!

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 6525
Posted on Saturday, November 24, 2007 - 11:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Buyamerican- before you can point the blame at these so called pro-foreigners, part of the blame falls on ourselves for not being competitive. We've had our noses bloodied and yet we do nothing to fight back? Is it our arrogance or laziness in the marketplace?

To me, it's not so clearly defined as Us versus Them. Part of the blame falls squarely on the American shoulders as well.

Buyamerican

Post Number: 221
Posted on Saturday, November 24, 2007 - 11:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is totally getting off the purpose of this thread but I'll say one thing.

Americans have always had the right to purchase American cars. They CHOSE to purchase foreign because of their perceived notion that foreign is better. I don't know the exact figure, but American car makers build probably 300 or so models each year...yet there are those of you out there who still have tunnel vision and won't even consider an American brand that suits your needs....give me a break!

WHAT YOU DRIVE, DRIVES AMERICA!
OUT OF A JOB YET...KEEP BUYING FOREIGN!

Detroitrise

Post Number: 828
Posted on Saturday, November 24, 2007 - 11:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =A8SuCBHqXtQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =BWCPAXgrm2U&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =3WBtyG2OJvw&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =GeMhxvYq1Ww&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =2XkgOdb8tdA&feature=related

Buyamerican, tell people like this to get off their lazy behinds, get an education and do their jobs correctly with pride. MAybe then I'll be more optimistic in buying American. That's why nothig is made in America, because we don't know half of anything about the world outside of our simple minds.

(Message edited by DetroitRise on November 24, 2007)

Bussey
Username: Bussey

Post Number: 619
Posted on Saturday, November 24, 2007 - 12:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

out of a job yet....GO TO SCHOOL!
The reason that manufacturing jobs go overseas is because we damn Americans are so smart that we have figured out that it makes NO SENSE to pay someone over TWENTY dollars and hour to push buttons.

Over the years we have developed these things like business schools that have cultivated leaders, who having the same capitalistic ideals as yourself (BuyAmerican) realize that they can become more profitable by paying someone less than they do here.

To curtail trade and commerce to simply suit the needs of your philistine cohorts would be to retard the whole process that created this country.

What is happening in American today is an evolutionary process where we are focusing on what we do best to achieve our MR = MC.

For those of you who don't know what that means it is Marginal Revenue EQUALS Marginal Cost.

When you maximize your return on investment you are at your optimum level of profitability. If you were to increase your marginal cost without increasing your marginal revenue then you would be losing profitability. BY paying manufacturing employees more than can be paid overseas your are theoretically losing money in comparison to your competition.

If you cannot find a job in manufacturing then maybe you need to go back to school and get a new trade or skill. To quote Del the Funky Homosapian, "If you ain't got a skill or trade then shut the hell up!"

OUT OF A JOB YET...GO TO SCHOOL!
Sorry buddy, but if you don't like this remember you do live in America....where everyone reserves the right to "their hard earned money"

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 6530
Posted on Saturday, November 24, 2007 - 12:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When America puts its brain power to use (ahhh... that education coming to the forefront again! What a concept!) and wants to be a leader once more in being inventive, THAT'S when the American consumer will flock to buying American again. So Buyamerican's short sighted vision for buying US products now might work in the mean time, it does NOTHING to stem the losses that we're getting hit with now. Buyamerican- why can't you understand that this is now a global economy? We've been knocked off of our economic high horse, we're too lazy to want it back and all you can do is curse others for wanting to spend in a free market society?

Build it and they will come.