Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » My Town...Home of the best Pizza » Archive through November 17, 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Parkguy
Username: Parkguy

Post Number: 147
Posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2007 - 8:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have to post a slight correction about White Castle. The one Kirby mentions was on the NE corner of Fenkell and Southfield at Grand River. It was a classic porcelain room. It closed and was replaced by KFC, and they built a new WC at Evergreen and Grand River, NE corner. That was replaced by Autozone, and they built another new WC on Grand River near the Old Redford post office. Meanwhile, back at the ranch, the two-story retail building on the southeast corner of Grand River and Southfield was sold, torn down, and a Rally's Hamburger drive-through was built. Rally's closed and was replaced by the current White Castle. So, by a long and confusing route, the current WC is located about 300 feet south of the original one. Whew.

Zxzm
Username: Zxzm

Post Number: 84
Posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2007 - 9:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Kirby
Username: Kirby

Post Number: 8

Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 7:12 pm: Edit PostDelete Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)
Question
When I got out of Ford High in 65, I started working construction for Mich Bell, and had a close friend and co-worker, Cleveland. He was older, around 22 or 23, he took me under his wing, showed me a Detroit, that I got to love.

I'm sorry, but I have to do this...

"There was Cleveland, he was from Detroit..."

Sorry.

Waz
Username: Waz

Post Number: 235
Posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2007 - 9:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for setting the record straight, Whithorn.

But it's such a convoluted story, I can see where people get it mixed up.

I'm going to print your post and tape it to my bathroom mirror so I can try to commit it to memory.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 651
Posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2007 - 9:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, Detroit is a big Junk Food Hub. We have been for over 100 Years.

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 1900
Posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2007 - 10:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whithorn11446--OK, I just heard it the wrong way and repeated it.

Iaintgotnostyle
Username: Iaintgotnostyle

Post Number: 191
Posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2007 - 10:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

little caesars is still the best inmy bok

Detroitrise

Post Number: 655
Posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2007 - 11:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, cheap pizza everyday would win over anybody. (hehe)

Kirby

Post Number: 13
Posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2007 - 11:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

zxzm
...perhaps it should be "There was Detroit, he was from Cleveland..."it's been along time.
I'm not too clear on what your saying in your post, but if it's a sentence structure thing, have mercy, I'm a product of a Detroit Public school education...
Here is a shot in the dark, my long lost friends name is Cleveland Horn, maybe Horne. He would be around 64 or 65 now. Anyone know him?

Jjaba
Thank you for the welcome, I miss the midwest "real" people. Just between you and I, until I was 12
I always thought life started WEST of Woodward!
I had a Times route, then they sold out to the News, our pick was at Archdale and 7 mile.
Mr. Christman was my first boss, and a great guy.
I also spent many a fine summer day at Brennen pools somewhere off Plymouth road, then to Daileys for a large tasty burger.
(notice, how I always get back to food?)

Whithorn11446
Thanks for info on the pizza clans. If you knew the sad state of pizza out west, you could probably teach pizza making 101 at Pasadena City College!
We moved to Pasadena in 1981, and had our first jolt of reality in LALA land when we found cheddar cheese laced in our so called pizza. Between the Cheddar and price of homes out here we almost came back.

Parkguy
your correct, it was Fenkel and Southfield. but
Grand River angled in and was close by...
There was a drug store there too, was it Cuttinghams or Cunninghams???
Norwest theater still there?

Detroitrise
knocking junk food is ok, but we're talking PIZZA here!
Junk is the same old Burrito found on every corner in LA.
Pizza is a blank canvas waiting for a Master to do their magic!
I enjoy talking to my Homies!

Detroitrise

Post Number: 656
Posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2007 - 11:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kirby, I know. However, I said that because I'm trying not to offend some of the health nuts on here. I said food one time and got one heck of a bad reaction from another member. As much as I love pizza, I wouldn't call it the most healthy breakfast-lunch-dinner meal out there.

Kirby

Post Number: 14
Posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2007 - 11:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitrise
Can't argue with you on the health issue.
Although a room temp slice in the morning sure has chased away the spiders a few times!
There is just too much on the health issue, and here is what I mean for example:::
At a ballgame in the 50's (my beloved Briggs stadium) there was lots of smoke, even cigars, you might say tons of 2nd hand smoke. Today I'll go to Dodger stadium, (where the person next to me will be eating a tofu dog) and I'll not see a smoker anywhere, in fact it's against the law.
BUT the language is so foul and way over the top, and nobody seems to mind!
Give me the 50's and all that smoke anytime...

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 67
Posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2007 - 11:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hey is the red devil still open on fenkell? use to go there every once in a while. i miss the pizza box on lasher & grand river, not the best pizza but filled me up.

Kirby

Post Number: 15
Posted on Thursday, November 15, 2007 - 12:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Reddog289
Red Devil on Fenkel and near Greenfield, I believe that was the first pizza I ever had.
There was a MaMa Mias around Gr River and Lasher, also on 8 mile. Great Baked Spaghetti...

Zxzm

Post Number: 91
Posted on Thursday, November 15, 2007 - 12:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, Kirby, I was just rehashing a pretty funny line from "Forest Gump" when Forest was describing the men who served in his Platoon in Vietnam, nothing directed at you.

(Message edited by zxzm on November 15, 2007)

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 3113
Posted on Thursday, November 15, 2007 - 12:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know they're relative newbies, but Happy's Pizza has damned good sauce.

Zxzm

Post Number: 92
Posted on Thursday, November 15, 2007 - 12:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love Happy's.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 660
Posted on Thursday, November 15, 2007 - 12:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like this place called Prince's Pizza. They had one on the west side, but they just opened one inside King's on 7 Mile and it's possibly the best.

Reddog289

Post Number: 71
Posted on Thursday, November 15, 2007 - 12:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

red devil was good, i ate at mama mias on 8& evergreen, but never at grand&lasher. still open in livonia.

Flyingj
Username: Flyingj

Post Number: 42
Posted on Thursday, November 15, 2007 - 4:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

May '68? Wouldn't the MLK riots have been in April?

Hungry Howie's is out here in Cali, & lousy. The chain is infamous because the Vegas franchise is where the 9/11 hijackers ate, hopefully not because they had friends in Detroit

Kirby, I assume you've hit Casa Bianca pizza or(if your tastes are Hamtramck) Polka in Eagle Rock?

Kirby

Post Number: 16
Posted on Thursday, November 15, 2007 - 9:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Flyingj
I believe your correct.
It was when Dr. King was killed,
April sounds right.
I remember it was a beautiful spring day.
I recall we were all feeling terrible at not only losing a Great man, but the fact we just had a devastating riot the previous summer...

On a lighter note, I've never been to Hungry Howies, also never heard of Casa Bianca pizza. I'm willing to try it, but, if I'm right, a place with that name should stick to Mexican fare.

There is a great Italian place in Eagle Rock, on Colorado, can't think of the name, it's a land mark and very good. Where is Polka, I love Polish food, I'm reminded of the "Co-op" on
Joseph Campau in Ham Town, they had the best cabbage soup I've ever tasted.
Although Jerrys Deli,

a chain restaurant out here has great cabbage soup too.

(Message edited by Kirby on November 15, 2007)

Chad
Username: Chad

Post Number: 7
Posted on Friday, November 16, 2007 - 7:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bigb23
I used to work at the Buscemis in Rochester in 1979. They tore it down and put a Wendys in its place.
The dough was delivered every a.m. (early) already flattened and on baking trays. We would baste it with sauce and bake it for 5 minutes before lunch. Then resauce it a second time to build a pizza on. The sauce was nothing really special.
chad

Parkguy
Username: Parkguy

Post Number: 148
Posted on Friday, November 16, 2007 - 8:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kirby--
There was a Cunningham's Drug Store at Grand River and Southfield years and years ago. I have a picture of it somewhere. Later, it moved to Grandland Shopping Center, which is just west of the intersection. Cunningham's was bought out by Perry's, which was bought out by Arbor, which was bought out by Rite Aid. They just moved into a new building across the parking lot at Grandland last year. The Norwest was demolished two years ago, and a fast food place is there now.

Reddogg--
Red Devil is still open, but under a different owner, I think. Mama Mia is now on Beach Daly, just south of Grand River.

To me, the best pizza we had in the neighborhood was at Maria's on Grand River near Warwick. They moved out to Ferndale years ago. I've never quite forgiven them, but I drive out there once in a while to get some excellent Italian. And their VIP pizza is still amazing. The place is always full, so I guess the move was good for business.

Kirby

Post Number: 17
Posted on Friday, November 16, 2007 - 10:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chad
Bescemis, That is a new name for me, I'll bet the dough was great, that's what the Left Coast people can't seem to get right, that great crust!
Parkguy
tnx for correct spelling of drug store, I also recall it had a soda fountain, that was a great place to meet chicks, I know it sounds alittle "Ozzie and Harriet" but it worked as a young kid...
too bad about Norwest, I remember seeing "The Fly" there in the 50's, scared the hell out of me!
There was a Maries or Marias in Canton, near Ford and Cherry, it had good pizza too. Don't recall a Marias at Warwick and Gr River, but the Riviara theater was near there I think...

Craig
Username: Craig

Post Number: 467
Posted on Saturday, November 17, 2007 - 12:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mama Mia's on Beech at Grand River? Good pie. Very good pie. But God help you if a rookie was on. There I learned that any fool can toss the dough and bring about art.

Don't ask how insiders dump the grease from "art" gone wrong.

Kirby

Post Number: 18
Posted on Saturday, November 17, 2007 - 2:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is a trip down memory lane, this pizza place was at n/w corner of 7mile and s'field.
It was a Caesars for a long time, GREAT pie, I was young and thought everyone enjoyed pizza like that, then came a move to California...
Photo was taken almost 50 years ago...
50 years ago,,,

HEY anyone notice in the window, that they served "Frog Legs" I doubt you'll find that in a Pizza place today.................

(Message edited by Kirby on November 17, 2007)

Reddog289

Post Number: 74
Posted on Saturday, November 17, 2007 - 2:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

have to go to the red devil, i remember the mama mia on beech, is the one on plymouth west of inkster owned by the same people?

Eric
Username: Eric

Post Number: 994
Posted on Saturday, November 17, 2007 - 2:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bob's Pizza Palace on 7 Mile/Evergreen serves frog legs

Reddog289

Post Number: 76
Posted on Saturday, November 17, 2007 - 2:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bob,s used to walk the to get pizza,come to think of it my mom used to say she was gonna get frog legs, cant remember if she did.

Kirby

Post Number: 19
Posted on Saturday, November 17, 2007 - 10:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Reddog
Don't know if same Mama Mia? I think they were same owners for beech daley and 8 mile places...

Eric,Reddog289
Thats very interesting, I don't recall seeing frog legs on a menu in years, my Mom loved them too, I recall they taste like chicken.

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 5154
Posted on Saturday, November 17, 2007 - 11:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What's with all the west side pizza places? Aint no eye-talians live on the west side! lol

Karl_jr
Username: Karl_jr

Post Number: 166
Posted on Saturday, November 17, 2007 - 11:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Frog legs used to be a Detroit pizzeria staple back in the 50's and 60's, the last place that I dealt with that carried them was Norben's pizzeria on michigan and military. Surf And Turf ='d frog legs and steak. I bet Bob's has been around a while.

(Message edited by karl jr. on November 17, 2007)