Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Handicapped Parking - by people who are NOT « Previous Next »
Archive through November 29, 2007The_rock30 11-29-07  9:03 am
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Mackcreative
Username: Mackcreative

Post Number: 130
Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 9:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ever been 9+ months pregnant Yaktown?

Gargoyle
Username: Gargoyle

Post Number: 92
Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 12:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Red tags are temporary, like for a broken bone or after foot surgery. They have usually a 3 or 6 month life span.

Vic_doucette
Username: Vic_doucette

Post Number: 360
Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 12:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The blue hang tags -- I have one because of limited mobility caused by cerebral palsy -- are good for four years.

(Message edited by vic_doucette on November 29, 2007)

One_shot
Username: One_shot

Post Number: 341
Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 2:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think some people feel they "deserve" them.
Being fat or old doesn't justify being handicapped.
I actually witnessed a lady park in a spot at the mall and wrote her a nice note..."Just because your fat and ugly doesn't mean your handicapped!"
Yes it cracks me up also when someone with a serious health issue that needs to park close to the entrance is at a huge shopping mall.

Crystal
Username: Crystal

Post Number: 74
Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 2:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One_shot, you did not really write that note, did you?

This thread has produced many posts that illustrate a person's need for a handicapped tag might not always be evident or visible.

Someone with a serious health issue might need to shop at a huge shopping mall. Why would that crack you up?

Gumby
Username: Gumby

Post Number: 1661
Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 2:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rb336

quote:

"i'm an A$$h@%%"

Yes you are.

Man it must be great to be able to discern people's health just by looking at them. Could you teach me how? Then to top it off you vandalized their vehicles.

Lostlegumes
Username: Lostlegumes

Post Number: 8
Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 3:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It seems like a lot more people have handicapped plates or hang tags these days. Did they ease up on the requirements?

I still wonder why Braille is on the ATM.

(Message edited by Lostlegumes on November 29, 2007)

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 900
Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 5:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, that's been a real controversial issue Lostlegumes. One scenario would be a person driving a blind person to the ATM.

Nainrouge
Username: Nainrouge

Post Number: 432
Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 5:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe it is for this guy:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_ news/england/west_midlands/531 3370.stm

Or this guy:

http://www.funnyhub.com/pictur es/pages/blind-man-driving.htm l

Or maybe this guy:

http://www.wtov9.com/news/1414 6280/detail.html

Seems to be a common occurence:

http://www.reuters.com/article /oddlyEnoughNews/idUSEIC361408 20070813

Newport1128
Username: Newport1128

Post Number: 146
Posted on Sunday, December 02, 2007 - 10:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a neighbor who has trouble walking. She, very deservedly, has a handicapped parking placard. What bugs me is when one of her kids borrows her car just so that they can use her permit to park in in a handicapped slot. I have seen her car parked in handicapped slots and one of her ablebodied kids get in or out of it, and she's not even in the car.
Is there some way I can report this to the authorities?

Hornist9
Username: Hornist9

Post Number: 65
Posted on Sunday, December 02, 2007 - 11:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quote:

Being fat or old doesn't justify being handicapped.

Have you ever tried walking a hundred yards with a fridge on your back? That is what feels like to be obese. I know from previous experience. Being morbidly obese really is not good for joints and body systems. I lost 250 pounds, and still need the handicapped spaces due my knees, hip and back being abused by carrying so much weight over the years.

It's easy when your not obese to say lose weight, but in my case my Bariatric Surgeon says it's genetic. He carefully measured my small bowel during my bariatric procedure and it was quite a bit larger than normal. That being the case, I could do every 1200 calorie diet known to mankind and not lose weight. It wasn't until I had the surgery that I lost the weight. SO UNLESS YOU'VE WALKED A MILE IN ANOTHER MAN'S SHOES, PLEASE KEEP YOUR MOUTHS SHUT! Most of us who were obese really don't want to be that way. For crying out loud, have some common sense when speaking about something you really don't know squat about.

(gingerly stepping off of soapbox, due to inflamed arthritic knees)

Conman
Username: Conman

Post Number: 45
Posted on Sunday, December 02, 2007 - 12:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I watched as my paper carrier(also a neighbor) got out of her car this morning and walked to my house to deliver my paper. Now, that might not seem odd but I noticed a handicap tag hanging from her rearview mirror and her husbands van was parked in the handicap parking spot in front of her house, she didn't look as if she needed a handicap tag. I will be contacting the police. Nothing burns my ass more then someone taking advantage of the system.

Crystal

Post Number: 75
Posted on Sunday, December 02, 2007 - 12:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"...she didn't look as if she needed a handicap tag."

As has been pointed out many times in this thread, the reason for a handicapped tag is not always evident or visible.

If the paper carrier is a married adult, and still working as a paper carrier, that actually lends credibility to the notion that she might be handicapped.

Gumby

Post Number: 1662
Posted on Sunday, December 02, 2007 - 11:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Nothing burns my ass more then someone taking advantage of the system.

Says the man with the name conman

Treble484
Username: Treble484

Post Number: 40
Posted on Monday, December 03, 2007 - 12:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Newport Using someone elses permit is a criminal offense and much more serious then just parking in a handicap spot without a permit. The solution is more enforcement. police officer are usually either too busy or feel that its to trivial, and most communities are struggling with budgets to hire more parking enforcement.

Ccbatson
Username: Ccbatson

Post Number: 7898
Posted on Monday, December 03, 2007 - 1:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Its' a mixed bag. How do you know they don't have a subtle pulmonary disease that limits endurance? Or a transient affliction that puts them at risk of injury with exposure to longer distance mobility. That said, there are plenty of scammers as well. A bad idea, in my opinion, for laypeople to become vigilantes. Leave it to the application and approval process which requires a physician to attest to the reasons for the permit.

Exmotowner
Username: Exmotowner

Post Number: 426
Posted on Monday, December 03, 2007 - 8:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had an accident back in 2000. I fell 20 feet from the top of a building and landed on concrete. I crushed both feet and my back. I can walk (without obvious handicap), but every step is painful. I do have a parking tag, but never use it because people assume Im perfectly healthy and I get all kinds of looks. Just because someone looks healthy, doesnt mean they are. Another reason I dont use my hangtag is my mother was crippled and it used to piss me off royal when she had to walk any distance with her crutch and we'd walk by some obviously healthy individual getting in their car in a handicap spot.

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 2175
Posted on Monday, December 03, 2007 - 8:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Perhaps "Detroitpetanque" should invest in a sack of doorknobs.

Pffft
Username: Pffft

Post Number: 1419
Posted on Monday, December 03, 2007 - 10:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This isn't about a handicapped space, but those motorized scooters that allow the overweight to be comfy as they shop...very needed, I know, by some elderly folks, but many are just massively overweight. And while genetics plays a part for many, I saw one lady at Meijer in a scooter, with stacks of ice cream, cookies and sweets in her cart. That won't get her walking ...

Gumby

Post Number: 1664
Posted on Monday, December 03, 2007 - 10:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So how did this thread turn into fat bashing. We got a lot of arrogant pricks around here.

Crystal

Post Number: 77
Posted on Monday, December 03, 2007 - 10:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Exmotowner,

You write that you have a handicap that is not obvious. A few sentences later you write how it used to piss you off when someone "obviously healthy" uses a handicap spot.

How do you know that person is healthy, when you seem to be aware that there are those whose handicap is not evident or visible?

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 1653
Posted on Monday, December 03, 2007 - 11:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have the self-contradictory habits of over-complicating some things & over-simplifying others, and perhaps I am exhibiting the latter, here, but maybe a good plan is to park your fuckin' car in the best spot you can find and not be so damned curious about what everybody else is doing. As far as I'm concerned, if a car in a handicapped-only spot has a handicapper permit tag, that's all I need to know, and all the whys and wherefores are none of my goddam business.

Lostlegumes

Post Number: 9
Posted on Monday, December 03, 2007 - 3:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is there some sort of program where people are "deputized"--and maybe that's the wrong word--for the sake of ticketing people who wrongly park in handicapped spots? I thought there was...somewhere...at some point.

What bugs me is when men park in the expectant mom spots at the mall. And really good golfers who park in handicapped spaces.

Crystal

Post Number: 78
Posted on Monday, December 03, 2007 - 5:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A really good golfer could still legitimately park in a handicapped space. He could have enough stamina to golf, but not to golf *and* walk long distances in a parking lot.

Likewise the person using a handicapped space and then shopping in a huge mall. Walking in a shopping mall might be doable, but shopping *and* having to walk to and from the car might be too much.

There are those for whom shopping, golfing, or another activity use up all their energy for the day, even when using a handicapped spot to save on steps.

Jrvass
Username: Jrvass

Post Number: 336
Posted on Monday, December 03, 2007 - 6:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

25 years ago, I was delivering a new copier, in the rain, in Franklin. I used one of the handicapped spots for about 5 minutes. When I came back with the cart to get the supplies and move the truck... WHAMMO! $100 ticket.

From then on I didn't give a shit if a new copier went {zap-poof!} when I plugged it in after being rained on.

Lostlegumes

Post Number: 10
Posted on Monday, December 03, 2007 - 9:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Crystal...some golfers play with a handicap, others don't. Obviously your wit isn't up to par.

Crystal

Post Number: 79
Posted on Monday, December 03, 2007 - 9:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lostlegumes -
I'm so sorry, I had missed that completely! Sometimes I'm not the sharpest bulb in the drawer.

Meaghansdad
Username: Meaghansdad

Post Number: 173
Posted on Monday, December 03, 2007 - 10:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is the ultimate case of minding your own damn business. Just because a person isn't noticeably handicapped, doesnt mean the handicap isn't legit. What a crock of B.S! Get a damn life!

(Message edited by meaghansdad on December 03, 2007)

Exmotowner
Username: Exmotowner

Post Number: 430
Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 9:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Crystal, your exactly correct. It is VERY contradictory, thats EXCATLY why I dont use my handicap tag. It would piss me off if I was with my mother and she had to park a long way off and I saw someone like me getting out of my car and walking (seemingly unaffected) into the store. As a matter of fact, I've let my tag expire for that reason.

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 706
Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 11:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Who cares if someone parks in a handicap space let the cops worry about it. Bigger things to worry about in this world. I would never do it but hey there are a LOT of assholes in this world!

Flybydon
Username: Flybydon

Post Number: 207
Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 12:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

don't even think about-it

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.