Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Own a share of the Silverdome! « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Mikeydbn
Username: Mikeydbn

Post Number: 352
Posted on Wednesday, November 28, 2007 - 6:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This group is proposing to buy the Pontiac Silverdome and continue operating it as a family oriented entertainment venue.

To finance the purchase, they are proposing a sale of $100 shares in the project.

From their website:

quote:

Buy the Silverdome?

• Family entertainment center with weekly events.
• Affordable, $10.00 / event, including parking!
• Opportunity to become an owner by purchasing stock for $100.00/share.
• One share guarantees access to at least one seat per month when Silverdome is sold out!
• Guarantees Wholesale Pricing and no parking fees!
• Participate in Financial Rewards of Ownership (share value increases as people come to events!)

Proposed events will include but will not be limited to the following,

Monster Truck Jam
Snow Cross
Indoor Cart Racing
Super Cross Country
Western Extravaganza
Jazz Concerts
Blues Concerts
MHSAA State Football Finals
Soft Rock Concerts (Bob Seger, Phil Collins, etc...)

Sounds like a pipe dream to me... what does everyone else think?

Gsgeorge
Username: Gsgeorge

Post Number: 365
Posted on Wednesday, November 28, 2007 - 6:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

well gee, between the monster truck jam and the phil collins concert, sign me up! oh, wait.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 3894
Posted on Wednesday, November 28, 2007 - 6:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Somebody better call Seger and let him know he's now "Soft Rock".

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 814
Posted on Wednesday, November 28, 2007 - 6:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

MHSAA football finals??

Somebody better notify Ford Field of this schedule change!!

401don
Username: 401don

Post Number: 92
Posted on Wednesday, November 28, 2007 - 7:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit may have the oldest and newest still-standing abandoned stadiums in the country. Coming soon - Joe Louis & Cobo Arenas! Now there's a tourist attraction.

Gsgeorge

Post Number: 366
Posted on Wednesday, November 28, 2007 - 7:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Inspire Vision doesn't seem very legit to me...

quote:

Then we want to work on improving your life skills with inspiring messages and education. We want to give you the good news that is happening all around you and tell you how to get involved! We want to focus on the positive and give you proven techniques to lose weight, get healthy, stop smoking and have fun while doing it! Yes, I said having fun is our primary objective! If you like to have fun, want to follow a program of continuous improvement in you life, then InspireVision is the right investment for you. You are investing in your future as well as purchasing a piece of the Silverdome.

What? Sounds like Scientology may be behind this.

Waz
Username: Waz

Post Number: 236
Posted on Wednesday, November 28, 2007 - 8:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And I thought this thread was gonna be about how they were finally going to tear down that dump and there was going to be an auction of the men's room troughs.

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 3104
Posted on Wednesday, November 28, 2007 - 9:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would never want to own any of the Silverdome!

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1717
Posted on Wednesday, November 28, 2007 - 9:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

make it an indoor baseball facility to rent year round

Yaktown
Username: Yaktown

Post Number: 268
Posted on Wednesday, November 28, 2007 - 9:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tear that schitt down! Why can't we have a terrorist fly an empty plane into it one night and save us the trouble of figuring out what to do with this eyesore?

Malcovemagnesia
Username: Malcovemagnesia

Post Number: 59
Posted on Wednesday, November 28, 2007 - 10:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wonder how much it costs to keep the roof inflated? The power costs alone probably aren't covered by the events that have been happening there lately.

Have there been any events there lately?

Yaktown
Username: Yaktown

Post Number: 270
Posted on Wednesday, November 28, 2007 - 10:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Malco, I think the last "event" held there was Snoop Dogg's Super Bowl party back in February 2006. They used to have drive-in movies in the parking lot but I didn't see that at all this year. They used to have a website (silverdome.com) but apparently it's been taken by cybersquatters.

Thegryphon
Username: Thegryphon

Post Number: 8
Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 6:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I really think the Silverdome should be torn down. It is an eyesore and those events listed would not spur growth but just steal it away from other venues (eg Cobo, Ford Field). Why not a park and/or a residential project? Anything is better than the City of Pontiac draining there already slim founds on the hopes of resurrecting that dinosaur.

401don

Post Number: 98
Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 6:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Based on what I've read, the city has started the bidding process for proposals all over again. They really messed up by not aggressively marketing the site and taking the best deal available 5 or 6 years ago. The market is so bad right now they'd be better to just stop maintenance on the dome and wait until the economy picks up. There's zero chance any new developer is going to keep the dome. Where have we seen all this before?

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 2065
Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 6:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Seems like a pretty innovative idea.

Wolverine
Username: Wolverine

Post Number: 380
Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 9:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Might have been willing to contribute had the selection of events not been wack.

Mikeydbn
Username: Mikeydbn

Post Number: 353
Posted on Friday, November 30, 2007 - 7:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You can't stop maintenance, that would just lower the value of the facility and lead to another one of these:

Roof Collapse

Flybydon
Username: Flybydon

Post Number: 205
Posted on Friday, November 30, 2007 - 8:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

FlyBy's view of the Silverdome in 2007

http://www.aerialpics.com/G/si lverdome.html

Sirrealone
Username: Sirrealone

Post Number: 48
Posted on Friday, November 30, 2007 - 9:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What is that a picture of?

Burnsie
Username: Burnsie

Post Number: 1215
Posted on Friday, November 30, 2007 - 9:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sirrealone-- If you're referring to the pic Mikeydbn posted, it's of the Silverdome after the roof collapsed during snow.

Gsgeorge

Post Number: 370
Posted on Friday, November 30, 2007 - 10:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mikeydbn, thanks for that pic. I didn't realize the collapse was that extensive, I thought it was just one side or only a few of those "sections". Cool to see. Must've been a fortune to fix.

The Silverdome was known as the largest air-supported domed stadium in the world. Does it still hold that title?

Gsgeorge

Post Number: 371
Posted on Friday, November 30, 2007 - 10:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

PS-- tear that schitt down!

401don

Post Number: 100
Posted on Friday, November 30, 2007 - 3:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mikey,
My point was this is another Tiger Stadium. They're spending tons of money on maintenance when there is zero chance it will ever be used again. Only the land has value.Pull the plug already. At least with all the parking surrounding it we should get to see a nice implosion.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 3917
Posted on Friday, November 30, 2007 - 3:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tear that schitt down!

Good lord there is a lot of parking around that place.

Where would the SAE have their little car races without it?

Umcs
Username: Umcs

Post Number: 408
Posted on Friday, November 30, 2007 - 4:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Somehow I have a distinct feeling this plan runs afoul of securities laws.

Rfban
Username: Rfban

Post Number: 202
Posted on Saturday, December 01, 2007 - 8:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Unbelievable, there is more impervious space around that thing in Flybydon's photo than all of the CBD!

Rfban
Username: Rfban

Post Number: 203
Posted on Saturday, December 01, 2007 - 8:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Somebody should tap that thing and send all the water down south.

Erikd
Username: Erikd

Post Number: 951
Posted on Sunday, December 02, 2007 - 3:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Beggars can't be choosers...

LOL

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.