Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Jackson, DEGC president, on "Development in Detroit., Fri. Nov. 30 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Akoper
Username: Akoper

Post Number: 18
Posted on Wednesday, November 28, 2007 - 10:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just a reminder that George Jackson, president of the Detroit Economic Growth Corporation (DEGC), is the guest speaker at the nonprofit group Cityscape Detroit’s annual meeting this Friday, Nov. 30. Come hear what the DEGC does; the latest with the East Riverfront, West Riverfront, Campus Martius, Lower Woodward Corridor, Rock Financial, Book/Cadillac, Hudson's Block, Lafayette Bldg., Old Federal Reserve Bldg., Fort/Shelby Bldg., UA/Statler site, etc.; and ask any questions you may have about development in Detroit.

Again, the presentation is Friday, November 30, 2007 at 6:30 p.m. It is in the meeting room of SmartDetroit on the 13th floor of the Penobscot Building in downtown Detroit at 645 Griswold, Detroit, MI, 48226. The event is open to the public. Cityscape members are free and there is a $8 recommended donation at the door for nonmembers. Please try and RSVP to am@cityscapedetroit.org beforehand, but walkups are welcome.

This is a fairly rare chance to hear the guy who does the things that everyone else talks about!

Rbdetsport
Username: Rbdetsport

Post Number: 412
Posted on Wednesday, November 28, 2007 - 10:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Please fill those of us that can't make it on the things that are talked about. I wish I could make it to hear about all of those things.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 4071
Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 1:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm going to try to go to this.

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 3107
Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 6:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Has anyone been a presentation like this by Mr Jackson?? Does he share info or is it a high level, general kind of talk??

Mind_field
Username: Mind_field

Post Number: 838
Posted on Friday, November 30, 2007 - 7:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hope someone asks him (Mr. Jackson) about the happenings at the David Whitney building.

Fishtoes2000
Username: Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 358
Posted on Friday, November 30, 2007 - 10:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't believe the Whitney was mentioned. There was "no comment" on the hockey arena questions. Everything else was discussed from the train station to the new bridge proposals, from the neighborhoods to Detroit Public Schools, and much more. It was an excellent presentation and discussion.

I thought Mr. Jackson was a great speaker. He was very entertaining, didn't pull punches, and very knowledgeable. I'm glad I went.

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 2904
Posted on Friday, November 30, 2007 - 10:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^ did he share any information that we haven't read in the paper yet?

Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 359
Posted on Friday, November 30, 2007 - 11:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't recall hearing anything new, but I could be wrong. He did say that the recent finance situation is slowing growth. Until folks can sell their current homes, they can't just move downtown. He said that when home market improves, watch out.

BTW, it was a full house.

Eric
Username: Eric

Post Number: 1017
Posted on Saturday, December 01, 2007 - 12:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone care to summarize what Mr. Jackson said?

Lifeinmontage
Username: Lifeinmontage

Post Number: 26
Posted on Saturday, December 01, 2007 - 1:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm interested as well in hearing what Mr. Jackson said (as I am out of state and could not attend). I'm curious as to what he said about the "train station" Fishtoes2000 mentioned (I'm assuming MCS). Could Matty be offering a fair price or a development plan that doesn't involve somebody else's money? Not likely. . .

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 4086
Posted on Saturday, December 01, 2007 - 3:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sad that I missed it. I got to town too late, but at least I still saw the new DIA. Info on Jackson, please!

Tompage
Username: Tompage

Post Number: 44
Posted on Saturday, December 01, 2007 - 6:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Re the train station, MCS, Mr. Jackson was not optimistic, saying he's not in the business of preserving ruins. Though he said he's willing to listen to workable proposals for MCS, he was pretty clear that his opinion is that the MCS should be torn down. This was the only negative part of his presentation.

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 654
Posted on Saturday, December 01, 2007 - 11:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

someone should sen him the memo that MCS is one of the most beautiful and magnificent buildings ever built in detroit... is still standing... and visited by more tourists daily than the historical museum... (seriously... ever go inside... there are always about 10-15 suburban white kids in there...

Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 360
Posted on Saturday, December 01, 2007 - 11:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I should add Mr. Jackson did call for greater code enforcement and fine collection. He said if you have a building with broken windows, you need to fix them or sell your building to someone who will. This was the stick they used for the lower Woodward facade improvement program prior to the Super Bowl. The carrots were facade grants. He said it was one of the most successful programs in terms of real, long-term impact within Detroit. This carrot and stick approach encouraged additional investments behind the facades. The sample photo in his presentation was Cliff Bell's.

Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 361
Posted on Saturday, December 01, 2007 - 11:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

someone should sen him the memo that MCS is one of the most beautiful and magnificent buildings ever built in detroit

He probably wouldn't disagree with you. He's taken trains from the MCS back in the day. He's toured it in its more recent state. Having a working, usable building is his highest priority. It trumps preservation, but that's not to say he's against preservation.

The key is finding a workable business and financial solution that restores the MCS and puts it back into service. He just doesn't see that right now, as Tom mentioned.

Rbdetsport

Post Number: 417
Posted on Saturday, December 01, 2007 - 12:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So can we all get a summary of everything he said?

Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 362
Posted on Saturday, December 01, 2007 - 1:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One more thing, there will be an additional announcement from Dan Gilbert "in about a month."

Rbdetsport

Post Number: 419
Posted on Saturday, December 01, 2007 - 1:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"the latest with the East Riverfront, West Riverfront, Campus Martius, Lower Woodward Corridor, Rock Financial, Book/Cadillac, Hudson's Block, Lafayette Bldg., Old Federal Reserve Bldg., Fort/Shelby Bldg., UA/Statler site, etc.;"

What did he say about these things?

Mind_field
Username: Mind_field

Post Number: 839
Posted on Saturday, December 01, 2007 - 1:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One more thing, there will be an additional announcement from Dan Gilbert "in about a month."

I'll expect to hear something sometime in 2009. These timelines are rarely, if ever, adhered to.

Lifeinmontage
Username: Lifeinmontage

Post Number: 32
Posted on Saturday, December 01, 2007 - 3:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Re the train station, MCS, Mr. Jackson was not optimistic, saying he's not in the business of preserving ruins. Though he said he's willing to listen to workable proposals for MCS, he was pretty clear that his opinion is that the MCS should be torn down."

"He said if you have a building with broken windows, you need to fix them or sell your building to someone who will."

Good, it is about time someone stood up to Matty and played some hardball instead of kissing his ass because he's holding hostage one of the city's great architectural marvels.

Fnemecek
Username: Fnemecek

Post Number: 2633
Posted on Saturday, December 01, 2007 - 11:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Anyone care to summarize what Mr. Jackson said?

He said he was sorry for wasting so much money over the past few years. In future, all of his projects will be financed by selling Little Ceasers pizza kits.

He also promised to return all of those paychecks that he didn't really earn and to tell his staff to stop trying to convince people that are trapped in an elevator that they don't need any help.

Oh, and he also said that the mid-rise apartment building that he promised would be built on the Statler-Hilton site really will happen soon.

Rbdetsport

Post Number: 420
Posted on Sunday, December 02, 2007 - 11:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

haha, thats funny. But really, summary?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.