Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Noel Night this Saturday « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 3162
Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 1:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What are this year's not to be missed sights or performances? My niece's choir is singing just after 5:00, then we're free to roam. There are a few DIA galleries we haven't seen yet and I know Thornetta Davis will be around, but what or who, aside from the major venues, should we check out?

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 11020
Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 2:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Audra Kubat posted this on her myspace page:

quote:

Avalon International Breads
422 W. Willis
5:00 - 9:00 -- Open house with samples of Avalon's famous Cherry Ferry cookies, Stollen rolls, freshly baked bread and spirits. Performances by:
5:00 -- Audra Kubat
6:00 -- Nigel John
7:00 -- Matt Watroba
8:00 -- Blair

Barnes & Noble College Bookstore
82 W. Warren
barnesandnoble.com
Enjoy a variety of Detroit artists while sipping on a coffee, Godiva hot cocoa, or grabbing a sandwich or soup in our Starbucks Cafe. Make-and-take crafts for children. Performances by:
5:00 & 6:00 -- Spirit of Detroit Choir
5:20 -- Blair
6:20 -- Blackman & Arnold
7:15 -- Audra Kubat
8:15 -- Nadir

35th Annual Noel Night
Saturday, December 1st, 2007
5:00 - 9:30pm

Featuring over 90 performances including Thornetta Davis, Tartan Terrors, and Tom Chapin & The Chapin Sisters

The 35th Annual Noel Night will take place on Saturday, December 1st from 5:00pm to 9:30pm in Midtown Detroit's University Cultural Center Area. Over 30 institutions, including the Detroit Institute of Arts, the Detroit Science Center, and the Charles H. Wright Museum of African American History open their doors to the public free of charge during this Cultural Center-wide holiday "open house." Activities include horse-drawn carriage rides, holiday shopping, family craft activities and performances by over 90 area music and dance groups. The evening's festivities culminate with a community sing-along on Woodward Avenue led by the Salvation Army Band -- a long-standing Noel Night tradition.

Noel Night activities take place in and around Midtown Detroit's University Cultural Center institutions, primarily between Cass and John R and Kirby and Willis. Free shuttle services is offered between participating venues. Convenient parking is available in area lots.

If anyone hasn't yet seen Blackman & Arnold...and you have ANY interest in virtuoso guitar...you owe it to yourself to soak in these musical geniuses. I cannot contain myself when Blackman comes down to Bert's Marketplace...he is smokin' on that axe.

I adore Audra, too. Missed a performance she did at Cliff Bells recently, so I have to get out for these shows. Cannot handle the withdrawals...

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2604
Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 6:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thornetta Davis appears at 8pm in the DPL Friends Auditorium. The Grillmaster is on this gig! (But I won't be around to watch :{ as I have tix to see Hall & Oates :} at the Fox Theatre.)

Hot Club of Detroit is playing at 6:15, 7:15, and 8:15 at the Detroit Artists Market.

The Tartan Terrors (whom I saw at the 2006 Festival of the Arts and last year's Noel Night) present Irish and folk music in a very humorous fashion! DPL Friends Auditorium at 6:15 and the Woodward Ave. stage at 8:00.

Full schedule at: http://www.detroitmidtown.com/ 05/noelnight_schedule.php?msub =77

Go and enjoy! This is one of the best nights of the year in Detroit!!

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1882
Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 9:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

feel free to come to the russell industrial center afterwards for our holiday open house and sale*

http://www.geocities.com/russe llfreefest/STUDIO_INVITE.jpg

*i am not mark arminski, he made the flyer, consider me one of the "other artists"

(Message edited by gravitymachine on November 29, 2007)

Mdoyle
Username: Mdoyle

Post Number: 263
Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 10:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wayne State University's Undergraduate Art League will be having a event in the hallway adjacent to the Elaine Jacobs Gallery. "Presence" will activate the artists existence as a gift giver in a literal and figurative way. Artists will be giving away various works throughout the evening.
480 W. Hancock
6-9pm

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 11024
Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 10:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gravity,

I already told my friends from Royal Oak about your open house, we'll definitely drop in for a quickie visit. I'm pretty eager to see your shop.

I guess smell it, too, huh?! heh

This is going to be one kick ass busy Saturday night.

Cheers, all!

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 6584
Posted on Sunday, December 02, 2007 - 12:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What an amazing night! That snowfall made it so festive, it totally felt like a Jimmy Stewart/ Frank Capra movie! Noel Night was gorgeous!

Rugbyman
Username: Rugbyman

Post Number: 162
Posted on Sunday, December 02, 2007 - 11:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It really was- big turnout, which surprised me given the weather warnings.

The Tartan Tenors were very entertaining!

Irish_mafia
Username: Irish_mafia

Post Number: 1125
Posted on Sunday, December 02, 2007 - 11:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Best night of the year downtown (midtown) again!

Only was able to get a taste of the new DIA before the kids dragged me on from there.

Once again, a cold drink, good music, art and people watching at the Scarab Club and I felt like I was in a Sundance film.

The snow made it perfect.

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2612
Posted on Sunday, December 02, 2007 - 11:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Noel Night is the perfect way to kick off the holiday season!!

Hot Club of Detroit was a great choice for the Detroit Artists Market, which was lively and fun!!

Thornetta at the DPL was SRO!! The band had a great time!!

The snow was perfect, at least for a time.

Rocket_city
Username: Rocket_city

Post Number: 486
Posted on Sunday, December 02, 2007 - 4:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The snow came at the perfect time. I walked to my apt from WSU before the evening and it was freezing and windy. When I walked out next to go to Noel Night, it felt like it warmed up, the wind stopped, and the snow started falling. It was great! But attendance seemed down to me.

I have to say my favorite performance was at the Charles Wright Mus of African American History near the end where a group of dancers and drummers came to perform. The audience then had a chance to cut a rug and it was great! :-)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.