Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » What's going on at the Whitney Building? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Sehender1
Username: Sehender1

Post Number: 9
Posted on Friday, November 30, 2007 - 11:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey - I saw a thread earlier this week about some crane activity at the David Whitney building in downtown Detroit.

Every night this week, though, at sometime after midnight, I've seen stranger activity, up near the top of the building. Two men come out of windows, onto a scaffold that has been hanging there for months, turn on very bright lights and appear to be doing some sort of work to the facing of the building.

I'm puzzled for a couple of reasons. First, why in the middle of the night? They've been out there until about 2 or 2:30 a.m. each night.

Second, what would two lonesome guys be doing to the facing of the building? If it's repair, wouldn't you have either more workers or a machine or something? I've been looking with some binoculars to get a better look, but I can't see close enough to see exactly what they're doing.

It's very weird.

I've attached a photo I took last night with my cell phone; it's a little blurry, but you can see the lights very clearly near the top of the building, where the scaffold is. The picture is taken from the northwest end of Grand Circus, looking southeast toward Woodward.
Any ideas? The curiosity is killing me!

Furnitureguy
Username: Furnitureguy

Post Number: 55
Posted on Friday, November 30, 2007 - 11:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Probably doing non union workor something that required a permit they did not obtain, very weird...

Sciencefair
Username: Sciencefair

Post Number: 27
Posted on Friday, November 30, 2007 - 11:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They're replacing some of the masonry they removed earlier this summer, probably damaged or dislodged bricks in danger of falling. Don't know why they work at night though.

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 2900
Posted on Friday, November 30, 2007 - 12:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They're probably just taggers

btw, CS, is that you?

Rax
Username: Rax

Post Number: 25
Posted on Friday, November 30, 2007 - 1:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You should ask the security guard sleeping in the burgundy Grand Marquis. I'm sure he could answer all of your questions.

Motorcitydave
Username: Motorcitydave

Post Number: 117
Posted on Friday, November 30, 2007 - 2:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They are probably working under the table, after hours from their day jobs... overtime baby! :-)
...or maybe there's less of a chance of dropping a brick on someone walking down the street at night. ;)

...I've noticed other brick crews doing the same thing (working at night) when they were repairing brick on a few other buildings last year...

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.