Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Granholm cannot lead (How's that for a catchy thread title). » Archive through November 30, 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Mcp001
Username: Mcp001

Post Number: 3097
Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 5:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, I'm not making this up.

She's actually demonstrating that she cannot lead.

Hopefully, she'll take the next logical step and resign!

Alan55
Username: Alan55

Post Number: 799
Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 5:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Right after Fat Johnny admits he got his EDS executive job by shoveling state contracts to them.

Mcp001

Post Number: 3098
Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 5:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No one said that Johnny had any talent either.

But at least he didn't outright hand over operations to a COO because of it.

Irish_mafia
Username: Irish_mafia

Post Number: 1119
Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 5:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Its not that she hired a COO that's so ridiculous, its the fact that she skipped the crisis management, business savvy guy for the President of the Roundtable on Diversity and Inclusion, .... again ignoring the business community's recommendations.

She has a tin ear for the requirements of growth and the encouragement of business positive policies.

The only thing we can hope to do during Granholm's remaining time is survive and try to prosper under the raider (much like the British during WW2 bombings).

401don
Username: 401don

Post Number: 99
Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 6:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nancy Schlicting and Cynthia Pasky were overheard to say, "Boys, she's one dumb broad."

(Message edited by 401don on November 29, 2007)

Jiminnm
Username: Jiminnm

Post Number: 1526
Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 7:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Alan, Engler left EDS more than 3 years ago.

When will the left stop blaming him for all of Michigan's woes (he's been gone 5 years) and start demanding performance from Granholm?

Tigers2005
Username: Tigers2005

Post Number: 154
Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 8:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How about we start demanding that our State House and Senate get off of their asses and get something done. I don't think Granholm has done a great job, but I think that the State Legislature doesn't take nearly as much heat as it should.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 3163
Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 8:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When will the right recognize that Michigan's problems were inevitable given the lack of business diversity and the never ending focus on only the bottom line?

Tigers2005

Post Number: 157
Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 8:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^^Concur. And acknowledge that this Governor has cut more costs than her predecessors.

Thecarl
Username: Thecarl

Post Number: 1196
Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 9:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

wow, the hallmark of the worst management structures - adding another manager to the ranks when things aren't going well.

this move will:

1. cost the state more
2. add a layer of indecision
3. insulate idiots from culpability
4. form the need for even more staff

terrible.

i can only wonder, what is the coo candidate's stance on making michigan a right-to-work state?

Lilpup

Post Number: 3164
Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 9:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^^You don't own a business, do you?

Thecarl
Username: Thecarl

Post Number: 1198
Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 9:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lilpup, i'm going to assume that your "^^^" identifies me as the target of your (however oblique) question.

yes, i do own a business. in fact, i own more than one.

^^^what is your point?

Lilpup

Post Number: 3166
Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 10:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You don't seem to have much faith in your managers.

Jiminnm

Post Number: 1527
Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 10:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lilpup, didn't the state of Michigan elect Granholm to manage the state? Thecarl is right, a true leader doesn't add another layer of management to further insulate him/herself from those making day to day decisions. What's clear is that Granholm has never run a business, or anything else for that matter.

Lilpup

Post Number: 3167
Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 10:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

insulate? use as a sounding board? assist with increased activity of the Executive if she wants to take on more tasks? deal with Michigan's misogynistic character? Michigan's one of the worst states in the country for women - high rates of domestic violence and rape, among the worst in wage parity - seems to go along with the piggy businessmen culture.

Jiminnm

Post Number: 1529
Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 10:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sounding board? How many folks are in her cabinet? How many has she appointed to departmental jobs? How many are already on her staff? If those groups can't provide the sounding board she needs, then she's hired the wrong people. By your standard, maybe she should hire a flock of folks to cover her butt.

If she, as Governor, can't handle the tasks you laid out (although your reasons don't have a whole lot to do with the rationale expressed for even having a COO), then she shouldn't be in office. These are the jobs we should expect our political leaders to do, including those you laid out. I see this act as a simple admission that she cannot perform her responsibilities as governor (not to mention adding yet another high paid state employee).

(Message edited by jiminnm on November 29, 2007)

Lilpup

Post Number: 3168
Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 11:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So give us the rundown since you think you're so well versed, what exactly does she do and not do as Governor?

Mwilbert
Username: Mwilbert

Post Number: 18
Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 11:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't see what bringing in a COO has to do with leading--a COO is supposed to manage the operations of an organization, not provide the vision. In reality, no governor can really manage the operations of a state, because such a high proportion of a governor's time is spent on ceremonial duties and fundraising. However, it seems to me that adding a high-visibility. presumably well-paid position at this time sends the wrong message, and I would think it would have been wiser to bring such a person into an existing position like chief of staff and adjusting that position's responsibilities.

Although the Governor has not been very effective, partly because she ran purely on personality, and so had no mandate to do anything in particular; partly because the legislature hasn't exactly been cooperative; partly because Michigan's economic situation doesn't exactly give her a lot of running room; and partly because she doesn't seem willing to take political risks, by my count only half of those are her fault. At this point, it may be too late for her to redeem herself, but I certainly hope she can and if appointing a COO smooths out her dealings with the business community, it will be a worthwhile thing to have done. However, if anyone thinks that having a COO is going to stop blame (or credit) for whatever happens from attaching to her, that person is living on another planet. Whatever you think of her, she is far too smart to believe that either.

Tigers2005

Post Number: 158
Posted on Friday, November 30, 2007 - 7:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And for all of the Granholm-haters, she may be gone at the beginning of '09 if a democrat wins the presidency and nominates her as Attorney General. I have heard rumors of this, but it seems like putting the cart ahead of the horse to me.

Hpgrmln
Username: Hpgrmln

Post Number: 296
Posted on Friday, November 30, 2007 - 7:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Granholm- Canadas Worst gift to the USA

Granholm-Worse than W!! (I love stirring the pot with that one)

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 6843
Posted on Friday, November 30, 2007 - 8:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't blame Garnaholm for Michigan's economic mess. She is doing her job to save this state from 900 million dollar budget shortfall. Even she have to cut national park maintenance, raise taxes. Engler dump his mess to Granholm so blame him. I'm glad that Dick DeVos NEVER became govenor, than Michigan will a nightmare place to live for all of the poor and low-income folks.

Irish_mafia
Username: Irish_mafia

Post Number: 1121
Posted on Friday, November 30, 2007 - 8:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"When will the right recognize that Michigan's problems were inevitable given the lack of business diversity and the never ending focus on only the bottom line?"

Never. Because its not true. Granholm has had 5 years to provide proactive leadership and move this State in a positive direction. She has failed miserably.

There is no need to be a lemming. We will succeed as a city and a state by proactively getting things done... not by whining that it is not our fault!.... as Granholm and her whacked-out supporters apparently continue to do.

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 409
Posted on Friday, November 30, 2007 - 8:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I swear, folks on this board watched the "School House Rock" version of how a bill becomes law and you think you know the legislative process.

http://www.school-house-rock.c om/Bill.html

Like him or hate him, John Engler was the single most effective Governor in state history because he knew how to manipulate the legislative process.

You have to understand that John Engler served his entire adult life in either the House or Senate before he became Governor. He grew up watching Joe Mack and Dominic Jacobetti ram-rod bills through their committees. He learned all the back alley ways that bills are introduced, pushed thru committee, submitted on the House floor thru the Senate and onto the Governor's desk.

He knew the process because he did each one. He knew what time of day, day of week and time of year that certain powerful lobbies where out of town or busy getting a buzz on.

Want to get something done? Introduce a bill on a Thursday afternoon when all the Metro Detroit and UP Democrats are heading back home. Or early on a Tuesday morning after the traditional monday night drunkfest at the Knight Cap funded by the teacher's union.

Jennifer Granholm, by contrast, has been manipulated by the process because it doesn't run in her veins. No one on her team, beside Cherry, has any legislative experience and Cherry is no intelluctual giant.

Ms. Granholm has been playing the entire game on her heels; hasn't been proactive and has helped grease the banana peels our economy has been standing on.

Sorry to say, Ms. Granholm has been a waste of money.

If you think I'm defending John Engler, you are incorrect; you may even think John Engler as the f-ing devil in a size 52 Short, you may even be able to point to specific actions that have harmed our dear State; but those insights simply fail to recognise that John Engler got his stuff done, because he knew how to get the job done.

Jenny don't.

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 966
Posted on Friday, November 30, 2007 - 8:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"And for all of the Granholm-haters, she may be gone at the beginning of '09 if a democrat wins the presidency and nominates her as Attorney General."

Abandoning a sinking ship would be a great PR move for her.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 6844
Posted on Friday, November 30, 2007 - 9:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Like him or hate him, John Engler was the single most effective Governor in state history because he knew how to manipulate the legislative process."

YEAH RIGHT!

"Never. Because its not true. Granholm has had 5 years to provide proactive leadership and move this State in a positive direction. She has failed miserably."

NONSENSE! Granholm did a great job staying the course for Michigan's future. Please don't blame her. You all people think that your favorite political leader is going to reform this changing society. Look again! You all have to look at their principles before you all decide.

Most of you all choose Bush 2 because his conservative charm but at the end this nation paid the price for the unecessary invasion of Iraq.

Detroit's choose KING KWAME KILLpatrick for his HOP HIP IMAGE. But at the end he acted like Emperor Nero, partying in the Manoogian Mansion. While Detroit burned KING KWAME fiddled with a Red Lincoln Navigator. But we gave him a second chance and the out comes the Party in the the Manoogian Trail that resulted into millions of dollars that We Detroiters have to pay out of our pockets and the 400 million dollar budget shortfall that has to be cleared before recievership comes.

So the next time vote for your favorite popular leader, LOOK AT THEIR PRINCIPLES!

Novine
Username: Novine

Post Number: 298
Posted on Friday, November 30, 2007 - 10:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Engler had the benefit of running the state when state's economy was humming along. That allowed him to buy off votes with pork barrel spending and allowed legislators to increase spending and cut taxes! When money is pouring in, you can pull stunts like that but it's hardly a model of good management. When the national economy started to tank in 2000 with the dot-comm bubble burst, Engler's house of cards started to collapse. Pundits blamed the turmoil and budget messes of his last 2 years on people feeling like he had overstayed his time in office. But the truth is that when the money got tight, he could no longer rely on the tricks that he had used for most of his time in office.

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 463
Posted on Friday, November 30, 2007 - 10:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I understand Gnome's point - I think why he was reviled so much by those who opposed him is that he was very effective at getting his agenda through. You don't hate the harmless guy... you hate the guy who can hurt your position, and that's what Engler could do.

Although I like the idea of a COO, and this should not be a knock on the person doing the job and his skill sets, but he has the wrong skill sets and wrong background.

Bringing someone from the non-profit sector sounds like to me, the blind leading the blind. There are plenty of democrat business owners out there, and that would of been a much better choice.

Mcp001

Post Number: 3099
Posted on Friday, November 30, 2007 - 10:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You haven't been paying attention to the budget for all the years Granholm has been in office, have you, Tigers2005.

Every year has seen an increase in her budgets.

Not exactly the sign of someone who cuts spending.

quote:

Detroit's choose KING KWAME KILLpatrick for his HOP HIP IMAGE. But at the end he acted like Emperor Nero, partying in the Manoogian Mansion. While Detroit burned KING KWAME fiddled with a Red Lincoln Navigator. But we gave him a second chance and the out comes the Party in the the Manoogian Trail that resulted into millions of dollars that We Detroiters have to pay out of our pockets and the 400 million dollar budget shortfall that has to be cleared before recievership comes.

Danny, this sound suspiciously like the guv's insistence that taxes must be increased, especially in during a single-state recession.

And just what'll what happens when this new "service" tax hits the fan.

This is not an indicator of someone who has cut costs, regardless of what her spin-people tell you.

Southwestmap
Username: Southwestmap

Post Number: 939
Posted on Friday, November 30, 2007 - 10:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

By all accounts, Krichbaum is a fine man - but what would make anyone think that he's the sort of person who should be the State's chief operating officer. First: he's certainly part of the gray-hair crowd (what happened to being "cool"?)at, at least, 65 years of age. He was,for all of the Coleman Young administration, the head of Parks & Rec. Then he went to Channel 56 for awhile and then went to the Roundtable - to say that he "understands business" is just ridiculous. With the exception of his short stint at Channel 56 (was he even the boss?) he has worked within the very forgiving non-profit and governmental budget sectors.
Irish mafia says that Granholm has a "tin ear" and that is obviously true. I'm just amazed that she passed over some strong business candidates for Krichbaum. Is it because he's more conciliatory and "feminine"?

Lilpup

Post Number: 3172
Posted on Friday, November 30, 2007 - 10:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's more likely because he has vision wider than the bottom line. That's characteristic of non-profits, not for profit businesses. Non-profits often have smaller shoestrings to function on, too.