Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Mike Duffy « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Norwalk
Username: Norwalk

Post Number: 150
Posted on Monday, December 03, 2007 - 11:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Best of luck to Mike Duffy on his retirement as Sundays column was his last. I always enjoyed his take on the wacky world of T.V.

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 1298
Posted on Monday, December 03, 2007 - 11:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ever notice that Mike Duffy always seemed to somehow work the word "chucklehead" into each of his columns?

Mtm
Username: Mtm

Post Number: 269
Posted on Monday, December 03, 2007 - 3:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I greatly enjoyed Mike's columns and always knew that I could rely on his recommendations (unlike Terry Lawson's). Mike's chucklehead humor will be sorely missed but I wish him a long and happy retirement.

Rax
Username: Rax

Post Number: 26
Posted on Monday, December 03, 2007 - 3:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So what does this guy do when he retires? Not watch TV?

Hockey_player
Username: Hockey_player

Post Number: 394
Posted on Monday, December 03, 2007 - 4:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, retirement is a polite way of saying that Gannett is buying out a lot of the older reporters, photographers and other employees in an effort to shed salary, and of course experience. They're under the belief that younger reporters with little experience, both journalistic and life-wise, will be just as good as people with three decades of background knowledge and experience. Their thought is that since readership is declining anyway, nobody will notice that they're hiring reporters who can't even find their way around the city.

Mike Duffy is part of this buyout effort.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.