Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Handicapped Parking - by people who are NOT » Archive through November 29, 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Detroitpetanque
Username: Detroitpetanque

Post Number: 17
Posted on Wednesday, November 28, 2007 - 10:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know I'm not the only one who has noticed the abundance of people who park in and around the city with "Handicapped Parking" hanging tags; and yet they show no obvious impairments.

I know, I know: there's plenty of folks who may have justifiable handicaps that allow them this convenience - I'm not talking about those folks...

...I'm talking about people who park huge obnoxious hummers that sit 3 feet off the ground, and monster trucks and such, obvious vehicles that are difficult to "mount" by even healthy athletes - and they're bouncing in/out of their vehicles, perhaps lugging bags and boxes with ease... no signs of a limp or anything hindering them, using their hang-tags as a way to get an "easy parking space"

What solutions can the annoyed bystander use?

Dannyv
Username: Dannyv

Post Number: 50
Posted on Wednesday, November 28, 2007 - 11:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Be grateful that you don't have the need to park in a handicapped spot.

Danindc
Username: Danindc

Post Number: 3778
Posted on Wednesday, November 28, 2007 - 11:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I know I'm not the only one who has noticed the abundance of people who park in and around the city with "Handicapped Parking" hanging tags; and yet they show no obvious impairments.

Their handicaps don't show because they're mental.

Miesfan
Username: Miesfan

Post Number: 75
Posted on Wednesday, November 28, 2007 - 11:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well you can get a handicap tag for being obese so for all you know they could be legit even if the disability is suspect. For the record I support handicap tags for the obese but their special parking spaces should be in the back, rather than the front, of parking lots.

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 1024
Posted on Wednesday, November 28, 2007 - 11:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If they have the hang tag, just figure they have some limitation that makes walking some distance difficult. I know someone who has activity induced asthma and she got a handicap spot at work. She then talks about iceskating and other activities. But she does have the condition.

Then there are others who struggle with conditions and don't get the tag, because they are too proud. So they probably balance each other out.

Detroitpetanque

Post Number: 19
Posted on Wednesday, November 28, 2007 - 11:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dannyv... to be sure!

But what about those truly handicapped folks who can't get a parking space because some lazy jerk wants to park there?

Detroitpetanque

Post Number: 20
Posted on Wednesday, November 28, 2007 - 11:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Miesfan... EXACTLY!

in fact, that's why I park at the far extent of parking lots... so I can work off some pounds off my own fat ass...

Danindc
Username: Danindc

Post Number: 3779
Posted on Wednesday, November 28, 2007 - 11:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Activity-induced asthma"? Is that like "drinking-induced alcholism"?

A medical condition isn't necessarily a handicap. And if walking causes you to have an asthma attack, you have bigger issues than getting a good parking spot.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 2261
Posted on Wednesday, November 28, 2007 - 11:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I always find it funny when people use these handicap parking spots to go walk around the mall.

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 2139
Posted on Wednesday, November 28, 2007 - 11:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"What solutions can the annoyed bystander use?"

If they have a tag, mind your own damn business.

Texorama
Username: Texorama

Post Number: 107
Posted on Wednesday, November 28, 2007 - 11:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, there's this option.

http://www.handicappedfraud.or g/

Crystal
Username: Crystal

Post Number: 72
Posted on Wednesday, November 28, 2007 - 11:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Example: I use my Mom's hang tag when I park and take her into a doctor's office and pick her up.

There are times that the person you see driving the vehicle or outside the vehicle is not handicapped themselves, but they are with a handicapped person. Happens all the time.

But yes, we also see many situations that don't appear legit.

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 1496
Posted on Wednesday, November 28, 2007 - 12:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Let's make this easier. How about the people who park in handicapped spots with no tag, just because they know there's little to no enforcement.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 870
Posted on Wednesday, November 28, 2007 - 12:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Their handicaps don't show because they're mental."

LOL! I agree, It's such a selfish and lazy thing to do.

Nainrouge
Username: Nainrouge

Post Number: 419
Posted on Wednesday, November 28, 2007 - 12:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What about handicapped toilet stalls? Is it ok to use them if you do not have a handicap? I've always wondered about that....

Rob_in_warren
Username: Rob_in_warren

Post Number: 19
Posted on Wednesday, November 28, 2007 - 1:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"What about handicapped toilet stalls?"

Larry David made a joke of this on Curb Your Enthusiasm. He got yelled by a handicapped guy for using the hcpd stall. Larry later caught the hcpd guy using the regular stall. Only Larry David would make a scene in that event.

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 3075
Posted on Wednesday, November 28, 2007 - 1:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have dropped my Mom off at the door lots of times and went and parked in handicapped, got a few nasty looks, but what the heck.

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 3076
Posted on Wednesday, November 28, 2007 - 1:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wondered about the handicapped toilets myself, I have used them, matter of fact there in on Men's room at work with only one toilet and a urinal, the stall is set up for handicapped. I use it, it is the only one there

Gumby
Username: Gumby

Post Number: 1660
Posted on Wednesday, November 28, 2007 - 1:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know someone who has hemmophelia which is unnoticable but a legitimate reason for having a handicapped tag (He also contracted HIV through a blood transfusion which causes him to tire rather easily). He told me about countless times that he has been harrassed by some a-hole who passed judgement on him because he didn't appear handicapped. Don't be an a-hole leave the folks alone you are not a doctor and cannot make an informed judgment on their true disability.

Kevgoblu
Username: Kevgoblu

Post Number: 31
Posted on Wednesday, November 28, 2007 - 2:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

But why 50 handicapped spots at Home Depot? (actually I know, law dictates a % of the parking spots available) But how many truly handicapped people are installing a new shower stall in their basement.

Rb336
Username: Rb336

Post Number: 3757
Posted on Wednesday, November 28, 2007 - 2:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

looooong ago i had an office looking right out at the handicapped spot. the vast majority of the people who parked there were able-bodied. i had a friend at a printers, got a roll of 50 10x10 sheets of bright orange sticky-backed signs saying "i'm an A$$h@%%" on them, used to go out and plaster them dead-center in front of the steering wheel. they did not come off easily.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 5823
Posted on Wednesday, November 28, 2007 - 2:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What about the Special Olympics? There must be thousands of handicapped spots...

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 1025
Posted on Wednesday, November 28, 2007 - 3:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As to the stalls, anyone can use them, but please don't mess them up. If there happens to be a line, make sure anybody who needs the handicap stall can get in there. (and you can't always tell. I broke my hip and for quite awhile, I needed those grab bars, even though I could walk OK.)

Rb336
Username: Rb336

Post Number: 3759
Posted on Wednesday, November 28, 2007 - 3:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

please don't mess up the non-handicap stalls either. don't pee on the seat, flush, etc. do women have that problem too, ot is it just us guys who are so disgusting? who are the idiots who throw their paper towels in the urinals?

Thnk2mch
Username: Thnk2mch

Post Number: 1076
Posted on Wednesday, November 28, 2007 - 3:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"What about handicapped toilet stalls?"

"Handicap Accessible' not "Handicap only"

Nainrouge
Username: Nainrouge

Post Number: 421
Posted on Wednesday, November 28, 2007 - 3:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is MOSTLY only the guys who are so disgusting. Have you ever noticed that public toilet seats are horseshoe shaped and private toilets are ring shaped? That is because guys always pee on the front of the seat because they are too lazy the lift it. (They are also horseshoe shaped on women's toilets only because it is easier to make only one type of seat).

I had to clean toilets to get through college and except for the improper disposal of sanitary napkins, the women's bathrooms were always cleaner.

We used to have a guy who would crap in the urinals for some reason at one place where I worked. We think it was one of the employees since it happened so often.

Wow, I guess this got off topic. Anyway, I do appreciate the extra height of the handicapped toilets since I am tall and have had knee surgery. I promise to keep them clean!

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 874
Posted on Wednesday, November 28, 2007 - 5:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Uh, I thought we were talking about parking? Could we steer away from the toilets before someone takes it a step further?

Michmeister
Username: Michmeister

Post Number: 269
Posted on Wednesday, November 28, 2007 - 6:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One thing you can`t hide, is when your`e crippled inside.....

Yaktown
Username: Yaktown

Post Number: 269
Posted on Wednesday, November 28, 2007 - 10:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had a friend about 10 years ago who had a handi-tag. She was in her early 20's, quite attractive and drove a sports car. She was born with a heart defect so it was difficult for her to walk a long distance, etc. Needless to say, she was almost always derided and yelled at whenever she parked in a handicap spot. Don't get me started on the pink parking spots for preggo women though, I park in those every chance I get!

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 2022
Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 9:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've noticed that some handicapped plastic tags are blue and white and others are red and white. Why two colors, and what , other than the color, is the difference?