Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Random DetroitYes'er sightings... « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 820
Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 8:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone randomly meet other posters in public?

I saw 3 people reading DY in the WSU library tonight. Made me wonder where other people might run into each other.

Atwater
Username: Atwater

Post Number: 129
Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 8:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

3 people all sitting together? Or 3 separate people not at all connected to each other?

Mackcreative
Username: Mackcreative

Post Number: 133
Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 8:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I met 2 DYers separately looking at the foreclosed home next to ours, which I had mentioned in a posting. Any more takers?

Urbanoutdoors
Username: Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 638
Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 8:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

During sandlot and grown ass baseball I met many different DYers.

Detroitstar

Post Number: 823
Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 8:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, 3 people (4 i guess including myself) in various areas of the library. I dont go scoping out people's computer screens, but with the amount of time I spend here, it's pretty easy to recognize the forum at a glance.

Spaceman_spiff
Username: Spaceman_spiff

Post Number: 99
Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 9:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've seen the site being viewed at the Cass Cafe a few times, it is rather distinctive.

-spiff

Tarkus
Username: Tarkus

Post Number: 432
Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 9:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I met Bobzilla at DBC Sun. afternoon.

401don
Username: 401don

Post Number: 119
Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 9:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wouldn't mind exchanging hellos with fellow forumers if we spotted one another downtown or at a Tiger game. Has Lowell ever thought about selling t-shirts? I live out of town so attending an FSC is not possible.

Dannaroo
Username: Dannaroo

Post Number: 175
Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 9:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have met people in some of my classes at WSU who post on here

Dhugger
Username: Dhugger

Post Number: 278
Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 9:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is the Forum Social Club still meeting at Pub's on Thursday nights?

I would like to connect some User Names with faces. Who used to head the FSC up?

Note I am not in a position to do the FSC because I don't really drink or anything.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 5682
Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 9:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lowell, The Rock, AIW, and jjaba occasionally meet for city tours of Windsor and Detroit.

The Rock did a nice tailgate for folks at the Michigan games. Even though they changed to Dial Soap, Michigan still stinks.

jjaba, Proudly Westside.

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 5363
Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 10:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i used to bump into sport quite often downtown on a regular

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 929
Posted on Wednesday, December 05, 2007 - 2:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I keep hoping to run into Jjaba on the Dexter bus, if he still rides it (which I do), but I'm not sure how to recognize him. I'm pretty sure DDOT isn't a wi-fi hot spot :-)

Jjaba, any hints?

For others, if you have enough blank space in your social life that you'd like to find out who I am (and that would be a considerable amount of blank space), I recommend showing up at Buddy's Pizza (the real one) next Tuesday or Thursday evening, and ask the manager if anything odd is going on in the Bocce room. Just a hint. If we do meet, the Professor always enjoys it when people buy him a drink, a trait he inherited from the late George Pickering, one of the finest educators who's ever lived.

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 2199
Posted on Wednesday, December 05, 2007 - 5:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bunches at last weeks AA meeting.

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 3110
Posted on Wednesday, December 05, 2007 - 7:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Is the Forum Social Club still meeting at Pub's on Thursday nights?

Look under the Connect part of the board.

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2616
Posted on Wednesday, December 05, 2007 - 7:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Over the last several years, I have met many DYers on Detroit tours offered by Preservation Wayne, Detroit Historical Society, Detroit Tour Connections, and Inside Detroit.

Thanks, Pam, for pointing folks to the Connect page...look for the FSC Meetups thread.

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 7168
Posted on Wednesday, December 05, 2007 - 9:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I probably have met well over a hundred people in person, (or using the term Gannon came up with, Tangibles).

Many interesting conversations have been had and the start of some good friendships because of this board.

Check out the FSC.

Fredgarvin
Username: Fredgarvin

Post Number: 71
Posted on Wednesday, December 05, 2007 - 10:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I haven't met any. I'm in Indianapolis, and not many Detroiters are here, let alone those who are DY'ers. Disappointing.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 4001
Posted on Wednesday, December 05, 2007 - 10:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A shirt would be cool. If Lowell approved, maybe all those artists here could come up with a concept and he could put the winner(s) on Cafe Press in case anyone is interested in getting one?

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 1428
Posted on Wednesday, December 05, 2007 - 10:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There were shirts a few years ago, along with a forum online shop. It had everything from coffee mugs to t-shirts to calenders. That seems to have disappeared over the years.

I run into forum members on occasion. Actually, this forum has led to a number of quality friends over the years. I guess all of the time spent posting on here wasn't a complete waste then. :-)

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 2096
Posted on Wednesday, December 05, 2007 - 11:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When I was running in the 10k Detroit Turkey Trot, there was a guy running near me wearing yellow that was explaining to his fellow runners about some of the properties downtown (specifically near Griswold and Michigan) as we were nearing the end of the race. I should have asked him if he had heard of DetroitYES!

Dhugger
Username: Dhugger

Post Number: 280
Posted on Wednesday, December 05, 2007 - 11:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pam: I am an admitted 'newb' as far as posting goes. I've been lurking for years but rarely posting till now.

I thought 'Connections' was a place that single people hooked up. Yah stupid I know. Thanks all for putting up with me.

401don
Username: 401don

Post Number: 124
Posted on Wednesday, December 05, 2007 - 2:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lowell, Maybe we could pre-order with a credit card and see if you have enough for one run of t-shirts. I think there's a lot of newbies from a few years ago when you last sold t-shirts. I can see where running an on-line store for one off orders probably is not worth it. Maybe do this once or twice a year and make the price worthwhile to help support the site?
If not I'll just print up my own - a picture of a long, straight boring highway through S.W. Ontario.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 5856
Posted on Wednesday, December 05, 2007 - 2:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I, like Kathleen, have met a lot of forumers on Preservation Wayne tours, and also those that are Preservation Wayne members. And of course the summer DetroitYES picnic on Belle Isle is the best way (although not random) to meet other forumers.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 4005
Posted on Wednesday, December 05, 2007 - 2:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Think how stylish you can be in your line of DYES! attire.

Gistok

Post Number: 5857
Posted on Wednesday, December 05, 2007 - 2:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^^
LMAO.... thanks Johnlodge, you made my day! :-)

But I would prefer my Gothic Cathedral...
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi- bin/gallery.cgi?i=1332748

The_ed
Username: The_ed

Post Number: 1294
Posted on Wednesday, December 05, 2007 - 2:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thatz a lot of Legos!

Gistok

Post Number: 5859
Posted on Wednesday, December 05, 2007 - 2:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well it's only 20,000 out of my 750,000 collection! :-)

Actually some folks over on that "other forum" like to make fun of me... (I laugh all the way to the bank). But there's over 100,000 Adult Fans Of LEGO (AFOL's) worldwide. So there's quite an adult market for the product. EBAY has thousands of entries everyday.

And then there's BRICKLINK... the worldwide LEGO superstore (I have a USA store there) with nearly 2,000 sellers selling over 60 million LEGO elements:
http://www.bricklink.com/store List.asp

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 5366
Posted on Wednesday, December 05, 2007 - 3:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gitok you have to remember. Those on that other site have nothing better to do than to talk about us over here on the original site. Now in that context who are the ones that really have no life?

So fuckem. Let them memorialize this post....

Johnlodge

Post Number: 4008
Posted on Wednesday, December 05, 2007 - 3:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've looked over there once or twice. Each time I saw a bunch of posting about this site, and how stupid we all are. Eh? Weirdos. They seem obsessed.

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 3176
Posted on Wednesday, December 05, 2007 - 3:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have met a bunch on PW tours and a few were introduced to me by friends who knew we both posted here

(Message edited by bobj on December 05, 2007)

Rocket_city
Username: Rocket_city

Post Number: 493
Posted on Wednesday, December 05, 2007 - 8:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I may have been one of the sightings at the WSU library. I've seen the screen up a few times before, myself.

I'm sure I've passed a ton on the streets downtown. I "live" on the Woodward corridor (the carless lifestyle) between WSU and the river, so it can't be that uncommon to unknowingly pass.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 3979
Posted on Wednesday, December 05, 2007 - 8:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The American Sign Language gesture for D is

ASLD

The ASL gesture for "yes" is nodding your right fist up and down like this:

Yes

There. Now we have our own gangsign.

Detroitstar

Post Number: 829
Posted on Wednesday, December 05, 2007 - 9:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rocket City, I'm pretty sure we've met before...I probably would have recognizes you.

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 1671
Posted on Wednesday, December 05, 2007 - 10:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't think I want to meet you folks. I figure that the 'visual" would be a big downer-- for you.

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 936
Posted on Wednesday, December 05, 2007 - 11:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jimaz,

Me likey. Maybe we can get Marshall Mathers to write a cute litte rap to go along with it. Then we have to come up with some colors. Are there any particular colors that would make sense for this group? You can't be a proper gang if you don't have colors. Even the Sicilian "Mafia" has gang colors, kind of.

Prof. Scott

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 3982
Posted on Thursday, December 06, 2007 - 12:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, I'd guess the colors would be those in Detroit's flag:

Colors

At least
yes
doesn't involve the middle finger ...

or does it? Oops. Chalk it up as a tribute to the Renaissance Towers :-)

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 4342
Posted on Thursday, December 06, 2007 - 12:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have had the honor of meeting many DYers over time and have been impressed with their quality, their knowledge of Detroit but most of all how they all, deep down underneath, care so much about our great international family of cities.

A little history for the newbs. About a year and a half after this forum got rolling we organized "Fabulous Ruins Night at the Cass Cafe" on Feb. 17, 2001. This was less than a month after I secured the DetroitYES.com domain name [the site was hosted on AtDetroit.com prior to that].

I thought only a handful would show up but amazingly the place was packed. Over 500 passed through the doors that night including forumers from St. Louis and Dallas. It was the biggest night the Cass Cafe ever had.

Things happened spontaneously after that. SuperSport, ItsJeff and others started call-outs and congregating at different pubs, mostly downtown, and later dubbed themselves "The Forum Social Club" aka the FSC which continues today.

The annual picnics followed and, amid all that, other connections occurred -- visitors from across the country and around the world getting helping hands from forumers, forumers gathering to volunteer and collaborate, newcomers to the D finding welcoming community and guidance.

It has been totally unplanned, totally unexpected and simply fabulous.

Happy holidays to all of you and a special Happy Hanukkah shout out to all our Jewish friends presently celebrating it.

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 116
Posted on Thursday, December 06, 2007 - 2:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i stay in hiding, i kill most topics any way, still i keep thinking of buddy,s pizza & boombas

Spaceboykelly
Username: Spaceboykelly

Post Number: 271
Posted on Thursday, December 06, 2007 - 8:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've discovered that a couple of my classmates are DYers too. The one was strange because I thought I knew the identity of the person (from the last name in the handle) but I was wrong.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.