Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Tiger Trade Rumors » Archive through December 04, 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Tarkus
Username: Tarkus

Post Number: 430
Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 12:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The hot rumor from Rosenthal at CBS Sports is, Dontrelle Willis and Miguel Cabrera for Inge, A. Miller or C. Maybin.
Sounds good to me.

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 771
Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 12:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

interesting...im not sure who i would rather have in the future - miller or maybin

Blksoul_x
Username: Blksoul_x

Post Number: 102
Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 1:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Personally, I would not involve Maybin in any trade offers!

Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 772
Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 1:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

dombrowski had been adamant before in stating that maybin would not be involved in any trades.... i wonder if his poor showing last year changed this? although I wouldnt think so...

Emu_steve
Username: Emu_steve

Post Number: 520
Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 1:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Interesting.

The USA Today has an article that owners and GM are now moving less toward trading prospects for established stars with inflated salaries.

I doubt Dombrowski would want to go that direction (trade Miller or Maybin).

One thing about Maybin:

His great value to the Tigs OR ANY team is as a CF.

Tigs have everyone's favorite, Granderson, at that position.

Maybin could be traded because of Granderson.

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 1502
Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 1:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't buy it. We've already given away our other star young outfielder...I don't see giving away Maybin as well.

emu_stve...one of the two, probably Granderson, will move to LF when Maybin is ready for the majors.

(Message edited by focusonthed on December 04, 2007)

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 2351
Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 1:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Damn! If only Inge could hit better. He's one of the best defensive players I've seen in years.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 3977
Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 1:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like Inge, I don't really want to see him go. But he often forgets his bat.

Username: 1805

Post Number: 85
Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 1:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Willis AND Cabrera for Inge, Miller OR Maybin?

No, no. Bogus speculation.

Inge, Miller doesn't balance that trade and nor does Inge, Maybin.

Wills and Cabrera's stock worth much more than that. It would take Miller, Maybin for the both of those studs. Or at least a higher value starting player of ours and either one of our top prospects.

Emu_steve

Post Number: 521
Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 1:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My take:

Dombrowski and Ilitch trying to win a WS in '08.

Tigs will not contend in '10 and later after Rogers, Pudge, Sheff, etc. are done.

Miller + MiLB prospect(s) for Haren would be "let's win in '08 and not worry about '10 and later now."

Tigs are a front line P from contending for the WS. Don't need more hitting.

P.S. I still hate moving Granderson to LF.

Dds
Username: Dds

Post Number: 471
Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 2:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If the rumor is from Ken Rosenthal from CBS Sports, I say B.S.

Ken Rosenthal from Fox Sports, on the other hand, has a little more credibility.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/s tory/7525396

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 1663
Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 2:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not hearing that Inge is part of this picture. Do not look for the Marlins to give up a quite good lefty pitcher and a GREAT young hitter in exchange for two guys who are all "could be" and absolutely no "is" or "has." Willis/Cabrera for Miller/Maybin? That will not happen.

401don
Username: 401don

Post Number: 112
Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 2:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rosenthal says Maybin and Miller "likely are among the targets" This is total hot stove speculation. It won't happen because the Tigers can't pay 10-15 million at every position. Inge is a solid no. 9 hitter at about 6 million per year. A lot of money was invested just drafting MIller and Maybin so that you have good young players cheap for at least 5-6 years. Now you're going to give those big bonuses away to acquire talent that is similar but will cost a fortune right away? The Tigers are not the Yankees or Sox.

Emu_steve

Post Number: 522
Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 2:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

how old is Ilitch?

Does he want to win in '08 at any cost ($ or future stars)?

Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 774
Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 2:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

76 or 77 I think?

Their payroll is already over $100 million for the first time in franchise history.

Emu_steve

Post Number: 523
Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 3:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought 77.

77 year olds don't think in terms of 10 year plans.

At that age, there are no guarantees.

Emuaaron
Username: Emuaaron

Post Number: 30
Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 4:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i think trading Miller and Maybin for Cabrera and Willis makes sense for both sides in every way except $$ on the part of the tigers. I would love the tigers to make this trade, I just don't think they are willing to acquire that much salary in return. Hopefully i'm wrong, we end up with my favorite non-tiger in the bigs (Willis) and we win 3 World Series' in a row.

401don
Username: 401don

Post Number: 113
Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 4:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

With the addition of Renteria, and a big "IF" Ordonez, Sheffield and Guillen stay healthy all year, the Tigers line-up is better than the Indians. They have the horses now to win the division. To win the playoffs and world series you need two aces pitching well. That means Verlander and one of Bonderman/Rogers need to be peaking come playoff time. I'll take my chances with that rather than mortgage the future. In baseball, with good drafting and a decent payroll, you can stay near the top for a long time - unlike basketball where you need to rebuild. Granderson is an excellent all-around ballplayer but I remember watching the incredible raw power and speed that Leflore and Gibson had when they arrived. I see the same potential in Maybin. I would hate to trade that away for one shot at a World Series.

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 1503
Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 6:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just don't see Maybin being traded, and without him, a blockbuster deal for other young talent (Cabrera/Willis) is dead. Maybin has repeatedly been the most untouchable of untouchables. This position had to have been solidified with the trading of Gorkys Hernandez. As it is, the Tigers OF has 1 young star in CF, one offensive MVP but likely future defensive liability in RF, and WHAT in LF? Platoons of utility guys (as much as I love Thames) aren't "the future".

If Maybin is traded for something we don't NEED (I have nothing against Inge), I will be pissed. I may forget my anger if we get "that hardware" as Rasheed calls it, but hey.

Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 775
Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 6:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Apparently its a done deal....

Maybin, Miller, and 4 prospects for Willis and Cabrera.... its on all the major sights now

Emu_steve

Post Number: 525
Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 6:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ESPN is reporting that we'll get Cabrera and Willis.

We trade our farm system to win in '08.

6 going from Detroit and 2 coming to Detroit.

(Message edited by emu_steve on December 04, 2007)

Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 777
Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 6:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

gosh I dont know about this....

we better win the whole damn thing next year...

Inge at short? or Cabrera?

Emu_steve

Post Number: 526
Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 6:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Who would want to face:

Guillen, Polanco, Renteria, Cabrerra, Granderson, Maggs, Sheff and Pudge.

Where's the out????

And pitching:

Verlander, Bonderman, Rogers, Willis, and Robertson.

Who needs a closer if the 'games aren't close :-)'?

Jrvass
Username: Jrvass

Post Number: 337
Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 6:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All but done. It's on the Tiger's website.

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 3158
Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 6:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, cabrera is a huge pick up, check out his career stats, .300 hitter with 30 homers!

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1047
Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 6:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gammons says it IS a done deal with Maybin and Miller among SIX prospects dealt to Florida.

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 3163
Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 6:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

These guys are proven, maybin and miller and others are not. Also, Willis will be 26 in january, Cabrera is only 24, so they are pretty young themselves

Scs100
Username: Scs100

Post Number: 1509
Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 6:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The other trade today is being slightly overshadowed by this blockbuster deal...

http://detroit.tigers.mlb.com/ news/article.jsp?ymd=20071204& content_id=2317268&vkey=news_d et&fext=.jsp&c_id=det

In all honesty though, Miller and Willis cancel out in age and we do have Granderson so giving up Maybin is not as big of a deal as one might think.

Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 778
Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 6:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

we are set for next year for sure... They are going to have to focus on rebuilding back the farm system though... if you look at the additions to our team over the years, much of that was made possible because our farm system was finally built back up after years of neglect... Ill be interested to see who the other 4 prospects are, but overall I LOVE our chances for 08

Rugbyman
Username: Rugbyman

Post Number: 163
Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 7:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dallas Trahern and Mike Rabelo were mentioned, but I think the deal is for the four other players to be named later.

I feel good about this one, but I'm wondering if Miller isn't going to turn out to be the next D-Train in a season or two.

(Message edited by Rugbyman on December 04, 2007)