Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Good rental deals with People Mover access? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Brian_fitzcarraldo
Username: Brian_fitzcarraldo

Post Number: 14
Posted on Wednesday, December 05, 2007 - 11:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm looking to move downtown with a roommate to a building near the People Mover. We're hoping for a nice 2-bedroom around $1,000/month or less. Anyone know of any particularly good deals or specials going on right now?

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 1431
Posted on Wednesday, December 05, 2007 - 11:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As far as convenience to People Mover and the rest of downtown, it's hard to beat Millender Center. It has it's own station and is connected to the Ren Cen.

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 831
Posted on Wednesday, December 05, 2007 - 11:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Trolly Plaza...now Washington Square (DPM adjacent) is probably your best bet for an affordable 2 bedroom very near the DPM. Millender Center (DPM on site) or the two loft developments on woodward (1 block feom DPM) are nicer, but a bit more $$$.

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 1518
Posted on Wednesday, December 05, 2007 - 11:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What do you need PM access for? It doesn't go anywhere you can't walk to. I mean, it's nice and all, but I wouldn't think of basing my living decisions on it.

Jasoncw
Username: Jasoncw

Post Number: 463
Posted on Thursday, December 06, 2007 - 3:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, skip the People Mover. Anywhere downtown is within a short walk from the People Mover, and anywhere in downtown isn't much of a walk in the first place.

Also keep in mind that it goes counter-clockwise when planning your trips with it, it could be faster to walk depending on the direction of your trip.

Greatlakes
Username: Greatlakes

Post Number: 89
Posted on Thursday, December 06, 2007 - 3:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, considering the cold, I don't blame anyone for looking at their options...

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 5862
Posted on Thursday, December 06, 2007 - 1:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm sure the Trolley Plaza to Greektown walk can be rather frigid this time of year.

A PM station near a downtown residence would be my option as well... one would also encounter fewer panhandlers! Besides, the best views of downtown are from the PM.

Lo_to_d
Username: Lo_to_d

Post Number: 30
Posted on Thursday, December 06, 2007 - 1:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would recommend the Kales building.
One block to the people mover, but it might be a little more expensive than $1,000.

Brian_fitzcarraldo

Post Number: 15
Posted on Thursday, December 06, 2007 - 1:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know the PM isn't particularly useful, but I just like it. It's a nice, scenic ride, there's a stop near where I work, and it's great when it's cold outside. Living next to a station would be more of a novelty than a necessity, but hey, the cost of living downtown is so reasonable that we might as well.

Kpm
Username: Kpm

Post Number: 76
Posted on Thursday, December 06, 2007 - 1:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

According to the Kales website, 2 bed units are now offering a move-in special...

http://www.kales76.com/promoti on/index.html

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 431
Posted on Thursday, December 06, 2007 - 2:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Had a buddy who lived in the Fyfe a lifetime ago. It is located on Grand Circus Park, across the Park from the David Whitney Building (and its PM stop), next to the State, er Fillmore Theater and within spitting distance of Comerica Park and Ford Field.

http://www.fyfeapartments.com/ index.html

E_hemingway

Post Number: 1433
Posted on Thursday, December 06, 2007 - 3:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The PM has its useful times. The future Mrs and I use it from time to time, mostly in the winter. For instance, walking between the Park Bar or DBC and our place in Millender is enjoyable in the summer but a long cold walk in the winter. The PM is great when you don't want to brave the freezing temps when the bars are about to close or a member of your party is wearing uncomfortable shoes and doesn't want to walk far.

The future Mrs also takes it to work during the winter. The last week or two is a great example of when its just too cold to make the walk but the PM is a nice, warm and quick alternative. It does have its advantages, but is not comprehensive.

Millender, www.millender.com, may be at the pricier end of the downtown rental options but it will give you the best bang for your buck. Our place comes with unbeatable views, a balcony, a PM stop, connected to the Ren Cen, security desk and patrols, attached parking garage, free basic cable, heat, water and access to the adjacent Courtyard Marriott's fitness room, weight room and pool. You're also within easy walking distance of everything in downtown. Long story short, a lot of amenities come with the Millender.

Mind_field
Username: Mind_field

Post Number: 840
Posted on Thursday, December 06, 2007 - 4:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can imagine the Millender would be unbeatable in it's access to the PM and all it's ammenities.

Brian_fitzcarraldo

Post Number: 16
Posted on Thursday, December 06, 2007 - 8:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the tips. Riverfront seems to have a lot of the same amenities: http://www.riverfrontdetroit.c om. Anyone care to compare those two buildings?

Mrsjdaniels
Username: Mrsjdaniels

Post Number: 311
Posted on Thursday, December 06, 2007 - 9:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

anything on Woodward near Comerica Park...there is a stop there

E_hemingway

Post Number: 1440
Posted on Friday, December 07, 2007 - 9:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Riverfront was one of our top choices, too. The views from some of the units are spectacular. The big detraction for us was how removed it is from everything downtown. Yeah, there is a PM stop and a store on site, but you can't really walk out of there to anything. All of the other downtown apt buildings are close to some cool amenities. For instance, the Ren Cen, riverfront, Jacoby's, St. Andrews, Sweetwater, a couple of party stores, USPS, Ephs, Greektown and Campus Martius are within a hop, skip and jump of Millender.

Being able to walk or bike out of our building to a lot of things was important to us and Riverfront couldn't offer that. I've heard people jokingly call it the gated ghetto. It's not a ghetto place, but it's definitely gated. It's classic fortress-style architecture in the tradition of the original Ren Cen.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 2324
Posted on Friday, December 07, 2007 - 9:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Being able to walk or bike out of our building to a lot of things was important to us and Riverfront couldn't offer that. I've heard people jokingly call it the gated ghetto. It's not a ghetto place, but it's definitely gated. It's classic fortress-style architecture in the tradition of the original Ren Cen.

It's definitely a gated vertical subdivision, but even if it were more open, the only thing to walk to around that area are parking structures.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.