Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Tiger Trade Rumors » Archive through December 04, 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Tarkus
Username: Tarkus

Post Number: 431
Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 7:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Freep is reporting it's a done deal. Maybin, Miller, Rubelo and prospects for Willis and Cabrera

Mayor_sekou
Username: Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 1762
Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 7:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looks like I better see whats up on the season tickets.

401don
Username: 401don

Post Number: 115
Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 7:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am shocked! This is the biggest trade the Tigers have pulled off in 30-40 years. Maybe we'll get an overhang in right field 'cause they are going to need some more seats with this payroll!
P.S. This will help downtown hotel occupancy-that's just with me.

Craggy
Username: Craggy

Post Number: 288
Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 7:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is a good deal. Cabrera is THAT good. He's only 24...and at this point in his career, is doing better than ARod did.

Our lineup will be unbelievable, and Dontrelle Willis strengthens our rotation.

HUGE deal.

Matt_the_deuce
Username: Matt_the_deuce

Post Number: 770
Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 7:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like the deal.

Despite everyone in baseball holding Maybin's jock, he didn't seem to have a clue when he was up with the big club. So young -and with braces to boot. Sure he could turn out to be a stellar player, but it's way too early IMO.

Miller wasn't too impressive with the big club either. He came out of the gate quick - but don't they all until the teams figure them out? I mean, he had one pitch - and if he wasn't locating it, he was in serious trouble, as was apparent in his later starts.

This is all guess work - thus the term "prospects"

We're getting two proven major leaguers which makes me feel good about this deal.

We still have Porcelo (sp?) and other talent in the minors, and Granderson in center, who Maybin MIGHT someday turn in to etc..

Renteria, Willis, Cabrera... not half bad I'd say.

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 1504
Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 7:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Holy shit. A lot of my reservations before were I just didn't think we'd pull it off. I'm a bit concerned about getting rid of Maybin, for the reasons I stated. Rabelo too, who the fuck is going to catch? Inge? I suppose that might have been part of the deal...team goes to Inge and says "if we can get Cabrera, will you catch again?" and he says yes...

Wow, I don't know. As Ravine always says, I must ponder this before responding further.

Focusonthed

Post Number: 1505
Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 7:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like this comment on the ESPN article:
quote:

Cleveland: enjoy that division title while you still can. Boston and New York: your move.

I can't deny we're set up BIG TIME for the near term.

Focusonthed

Post Number: 1506
Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 7:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oops, forgot about Vance Wilson.

Freep reports: "The package of prospects includes catcher Mike Rabelo, RHP Burke Badenhop, RHP Eulogio de la Cruz and RHP Dallas Trahern from the organization."

(Message edited by focusonthed on December 04, 2007)

Yupislyr
Username: Yupislyr

Post Number: 244
Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 7:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Inge is up on the block now too though.

"As a result of the move, the Tigers are now willing to move Marcus Thames, Brandon Inge and Chad Durbin."

http://freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll /article?AID=/20071204/SPORTS0 2/71204065

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 979
Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 7:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is a steal for the Tigers.
Maybin will be hard pressed in a few years to put up the numbers that Cabrera is already putting up.
They basically traded a player they hope will be a star for someone who is already a star and he's only 24. If Cabrera can continue what he's been doing for the last four years he'll be heading to Cooperstown some day, he's that good.

Willis is only 25 so this wasn't a trade of prospects for a couple of aging veterans. The players they got aren't that much older then the ones they gave up.

Focusonthed

Post Number: 1507
Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 7:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Haha just thought of something. By the time Maybin and Miller turn into stars and need contracts, the Tigers can just get them back when the Marlins dump them!!

401don

Post Number: 117
Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 7:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like your thinking Focus. I guess I just can't get used to the thought of being rich all of a sudden.
If Pudge had stated he only wanted to play one more year then Inge might hang around as a back-up catcher/utility guy for the opportunity to catch in 2009 -if he really wants to stay with the Tigers that bad, but Pudge has said he wants to catch another 5 years. It looks like Inge is gone. Not sure why Thames would suddenly be more available though.
By the way, where's Smogboy, in shock?

Urbanoutdoors
Username: Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 636
Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 8:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They were sayin cabrera is getting in better shape and has lost 15 lbs in the past 3 weeks he has tremendous potential!

Focusonthed

Post Number: 1508
Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 8:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm getting visions of the lineup. Every single hitter (1-9) could bat 3/4/5 on another team.

Urbanoutdoors
Username: Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 637
Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 8:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I didn't realize we got Jones for left field too. Our lineup is looking like the lineup for the allstar game.

Rugbyman
Username: Rugbyman

Post Number: 164
Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 8:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"According to Retrosheet.org, the player with the most comparable stats through age 24 is longtime home run king Hank Aaron."

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20071204/SPO RTS02/71204065

Wow.

Jonesy
Username: Jonesy

Post Number: 416
Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 8:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Someone pinch me. Who would have thought that the Tigers would make the biggest offseason move. Take that hot stove.

F U N Y

Scs100
Username: Scs100

Post Number: 1510
Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 8:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This just in:

The Tigers have traded the rest of their farm system for Santana.

401don

Post Number: 118
Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 8:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Both are due to be free agents after 2009. That's when both Shefield's and Ordonez's deals expire. It's very unlikely both would be resigned due to age/injuries. We have two years to win it with this all-star line-up.

Rugbyman
Username: Rugbyman

Post Number: 165
Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 9:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They'll extend Cabrera to at least a 5 year deal. They'll try for a one year with D-Train and settle for two, if they can get it. Otherwise wait the year and see if his ERA drops back down from the stratosphere before offering a longer term deal.

Sheff will get a one year deal, Maggs at least two- both incentive-laden with a pretty big front end.

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 781
Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 9:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

it wouldnt surprise me if they are already working on extensions for (especially) Cabrera and Willis as part of the deal

Jonesy

Post Number: 417
Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 9:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The biggest winner in this deal is Downtown Detroit. Detroit desperately needs the Tigers to continue to be successful.

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 980
Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 9:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Granderson
Polanco
Cabrera
Ordonez
Sheffield
Guillen
Renteria
Rodriguez
Jacque Jones/Marcus Thames.

They'll be setting all kinds of records with that lineup.

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 1665
Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 9:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am completely stunned, and very, very excited and happy. (My joy is slightly marred, however; I am extremely fond of Brandon Inge, who is "this close" to having no role, at all, left with this team.)
In my earlier post, I said this would not happen. I am delighted to be wrong. Other than last season's odd faltering (owing, partially, to giving up too many HR's,) Willis has shown that he is a very good, and durable, pitcher (and a lefty, to boot.) And, Cabrera? I pay a lot of attention to the NL, and I will say, without reservation, that I believe Miguel Cabrera is a GREAT hitter.
With this move made, I find myself almost wishing that we had not acquired Sheffield. Carrying a guy as an everyday DH can restrict a manager's shuffling ability. That's pretty much O.K. on some teams, but in our case, it will mean that some guys who I would like to hang onto are being squeezed closer to the door.
And, by the way, the Cubs traded Omar Infante to the Braves.
Earlier moves have an interesting result: Craig Monroe (basically) starts out with the Tigers and ends up with the Twins; Jacque Jones starts out with the Twins and ends up with the Tigers.
Food For Thought (and I'm not kidding): Is Jeremy "I hate the goddam first inning anyway" Bonderman our closer of the future? Think about it; good fastball, and "the slider from hell."

Knocturnal
Username: Knocturnal

Post Number: 228
Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 9:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am very excited myself, despite my 0-7 attendance record this past summer. As if I couldn't wait for April, then they go out and do this...Let's fast forward to spring already!!

401don

Post Number: 120
Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 9:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wouldn't the ninth then be Bonderman's first?

Zephyrprocess
Username: Zephyrprocess

Post Number: 552
Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 9:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Food For Thought (and I'm not kidding): Is Jeremy "I hate the goddam first inning anyway" Bonderman our closer of the future? Think about it; good fastball, and "the slider from hell."

Um...I don't want a closer whose first 20 pitches look like Bonderman's first 20 pitches. Hell--I don't want a closer who throws 20 pitches!

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 4097
Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 9:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

omg omg omg

I cannot believe this.

Detroit is baseball's new power center.

This is like a fantasy team, or a team I put together on a computer or PS2 game somewhere around 2002-2003 when it was a complete fantasy to imagine the Tigers having clout.

Our only weakness is our closer, and I'm a little weary of injuries to starting pitching, having traded away our two most promising young pitchers.

I miss Craig Monroe, but you can't really have him and Thames with our current setup. Hopefully J Jones does the job so I don't wish we had Monroe instead of him.

World Series or bust!

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 1666
Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 9:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Totally different mind-set, Starter and Closer. Considering that Bonderman's "mind-set" may be a relevant issue, maybe the switch would be a good one.
He could toss down a few beers in the bullpen, while warming up, and then come in for the ninth, throw as hard as he wants, and raise all kinds of hell.
I'm starting to like the idea even better, the more I think about it.

Jonesy

Post Number: 418
Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 10:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is Arizona still interested in Bonderman? I heard they were offering their closer Jose Valverde.