Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Spirit of Detroit to get makeover « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 788
Posted on Thursday, December 06, 2007 - 3:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://detnews.com/apps/pbcs.d ll/article?AID=/20071206/METRO /712060367

Good news, I had wondered what happened in this process after last year's announcement

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 4040
Posted on Thursday, December 06, 2007 - 3:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where's Metaldoctor?

Plymouthres
Username: Plymouthres

Post Number: 283
Posted on Thursday, December 06, 2007 - 5:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I heard about this at the last CoD Advisory meeting I attended. The guy from C.A.N. is Carl Nielbock, and he is the shizzle! Carl is a partner with us in the Coalition, and he and his students are some of the finest old world style craftsmen that I have ever had the pleasure to meet. He has had samples of his hand made gates at our Blacksmith's Shop and I must tell you the quality and attention to detail that I saw was inspiring. Here is a link to his website:

http://www.canarthandworks.com /

Check him out! We are really lucky to have an old world craftsman like him to help us with our restoration efforts at the Fort.

I hope he gets the job for sure!

Eriedearie
Username: Eriedearie

Post Number: 318
Posted on Thursday, December 06, 2007 - 7:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember when the statue was put in place. Our school took a field trip to see it. It was an awesome structure for a group of 9 year olds to gaze upon. I get a special feeling of connection when I see "The Spirit of Detroit". Like as though we're old friends. I especially like to see my pal clothed in a jersey of one of Detroit's sports teams!

I'm glad they are looking to give the contract for the sprucing up to someone local. Plus having the work done with the statue in place is best for it and the citizens of Detroit.

Burnsie
Username: Burnsie

Post Number: 1221
Posted on Thursday, December 06, 2007 - 8:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm certainly glad to hear about the statue's refurbishment. But if it had been easier and/or more effective to remove the statue when working on it, that's what should've been done.

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2622
Posted on Friday, December 07, 2007 - 9:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is the link to our earlier thread on this topic:

The Marshall Fredericks Spirit of Detroit is in Need of Restoration
https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/91697/90395.html?1171572 892

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.