Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Suggestions for Saturday Night « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Cmyk
Username: Cmyk

Post Number: 18
Posted on Thursday, December 06, 2007 - 10:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Myself, family and friends have procured a limousine for my birthday celebration Saturday night (12.8.07) and I was hoping to get some suggestions for our evening. We're staying within Detroit and while I already have ideas it would be interesting to hear what you have to say.

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 4345
Posted on Thursday, December 06, 2007 - 11:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What kind of things do you like or interests do you have?

Cmyk

Post Number: 19
Posted on Thursday, December 06, 2007 - 11:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Lowell

We're a pretty liberal bunch with open minds. I was thinking of starting somewhere friendly and quiet, maybe Honest John's or MC Brew Works. After that, I don't know. I'm the only one that lives in Detroit and I believe they're going to look to me for suggestions. I'm open for anything with the exception of dance clubs. I was hoping that somebody would know of something interesting happening this Saturday other than the typical. Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions.

Raptor56
Username: Raptor56

Post Number: 207
Posted on Friday, December 07, 2007 - 12:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

www.greatstufftodo.com is a great place to start.

Personally, the gf and I are heading to the Detroiter on Friday for a good ol Detroiter Burger and some PBR.

Happy Birthday!

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 1438
Posted on Friday, December 07, 2007 - 9:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whatever you do, end the night with a plate of Sweetwater wings. Excellent food. My favorite way to end a night of drinking.

Lukabottle
Username: Lukabottle

Post Number: 114
Posted on Friday, December 07, 2007 - 9:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hellbound at Labyrinth, just kidding

Lowell
Board Administrator

Post Number: 4346
Posted on Friday, December 07, 2007 - 11:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is a fun / funky place to hit, an opening at Zeitgeist Gallery on Michigan Ave. This is Detroit-edge art scene at its best. Zeitgeist is a big colorful space comprised of three interconnected store fronts, one of which is a social space/bar. [I'll be by there later on.] Some of Detroit's best hot metal sculptors are exhibiting including Sergio DiGiusti, one of the co-artist of the Detroit Labor Memorial sculpture in Hart Plaza.
======================

http://www.zeitgeistdetroit.or g/exhibitions/exhibitions.html
Currently at the Zeitgeist Gallery

December 8, 2007:
"HOT CAST - 6 Foundry Rats"
Featuring work by, Robert Bielat, Sergio De Giusti, Todd Erickson, Matthew Hannah, Alvaro Jurado, and Norman Kobylarz.

Opening Night Reception begins at 7pm. Musical guests to perform around 9pm.

Alvaro Jurado, curator for Hot Cast,offers this meditation on the show:
"Over 20 years ago I had the pleasure of taking several foundry classes at CCS and WSU. At that time I met some sculptors that would greatly influence my work.

“In the mid 80s these 2 schools had much more relaxed rules, for example students could drink beer in the foundry. We didn't abuse this privilege, but on Fridays, the staff and students would have a barbecue, a few beers, fun, and a lot of camaraderie. We called ourselves foundry rats. Plenty of new and exciting work was created during this Detroit foundry revival. Some Detroit area art galleries recognized the surge of this new art movement, Artist Market, Michigan Gallery, and the Focus Gallery, to name a few. Many Friday and Saturday nights were spent driving from gallery to gallery, having a few drinks with the foundry rats and seeing great new sculptures.

“Hot Cast” is an exhibit that has been on my mind for about 4 years. This exhibit features 6 Foundry Rats, Robert Bielat, Sergio DeGiusti, Todd Erickson, Matthew Hanna, Alvaro Jurado, and Norman Kobylarz. This show will represent a historic overview of work, plus totally new castings.

“I hope this exhibit brings on a new interest in metal casting and creates a new generation of foundry rats."

This show runs through December 22, 2007.

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 1442
Posted on Friday, December 07, 2007 - 12:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A place worth checking out, if you haven't already, is MOCAD, www.mocadetroit.org. The current show, "Words Fail Me", is quite good. Now I'm not an art connoisseur in any way shape or form, actually the CCS grads I had with me didn't think much of it, but I really liked it. It's free and an interesting way to spend an hour or so. Could be a nice way to shake up the normal birthday/bar crawl theme.

Mdoyle
Username: Mdoyle

Post Number: 273
Posted on Friday, December 07, 2007 - 1:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You can't go wrong with Cliff Bells for a classy evening, not really quiet though. Get a hot cocoa or coffee from Au Bon Pain and check out the Christmas tree at Campus Martius. Greektown of course, pastries @ Astoria or Saganaki @ Plaka's. Midnight Coneys from Lafayette are a MUST. Check thedetroiter.com if your looking for galleries and art openings. The pizza @ MCBW is excellent also. My life in Detroit revolves nearly entirely around food.ha.

Cmyk

Post Number: 20
Posted on Friday, December 07, 2007 - 2:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Perfect suggestion Lowell. I completely forgot about Zeitgeist, thanks!

Fishtoes2000
Username: Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 364
Posted on Friday, December 07, 2007 - 5:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This Saturday is a roller derby bout at the Masonic! Below are some details with more on their web site, www.detroitderbygirls.com

D-FUNK ALLSTARS VS. DETROIT PISTOFFS
Sat Dec 08, 2007 - doors open at 6:00PM
game starts at 7pm

DDG December Bout

Masonic Temple Drill Hall, Detroit MI
Tickets are $15.00 ($12 if purchased from a Derby Girl) and kids under 12 are free when accompanied by an adult. Get your tickets online at ticketmaster.com and at the following locations:

• Detroit Threads - Hamtramck, MI
• Orbitz Hair Salon - Ann Arbor, MI
• Danny's Irish Pub - Ferndale, MI
• Your local Derby Girl!
Limited number of tickets available at the door

This month's featured charity:
Orchards Childrens Services

Entertainment by:
The Breakers and the Motor City Rah Rahs

Immediately following:
The Official After-Bout Party
The New Dodge Lounge - Hamtramck
Featuring: The Orbitsons

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 3235
Posted on Friday, December 07, 2007 - 6:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WOW - great ideas, I have to talk to the wife about a couple of these

Lowell
Board Administrator

Post Number: 4349
Posted on Saturday, December 08, 2007 - 12:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Roller derby is a blast too!

Boshna
Username: Boshna

Post Number: 193
Posted on Saturday, December 08, 2007 - 12:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Baker's.

http://www.bakerskeyboardloung e.com/

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1726
Posted on Saturday, December 08, 2007 - 2:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

roller derby is awesome, me and my lady go every time

Downtown_remix
Username: Downtown_remix

Post Number: 556
Posted on Saturday, December 08, 2007 - 2:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Puppet Scrooge"..A stage adaptation of the ol classic, hits the stage at matrix theater on bagley in mexican town. Hand made puppets are use to represent MS. SCROOGES EMPLOYEES. A funny show for children as well as adults. 4pm an 8 pm show today

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2629
Posted on Sunday, December 09, 2007 - 9:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The "HOT CAST - 6 Foundry Rats" exhibition at Zeitgeist is terrific!! We stopped by the opening night reception and saw some absolutely stunning pieces of metal cast sculpture!! Had a chance to chat with curator and artist Alvaro Jurado as well as sculptor Sergio de Giusti (from whom I once took an Art History class at Wayne State some 30 years ago!). Also picked up a few Christmas gifts from the Gallery "Shop". Definitely was worthing going to!! Thanks, Lowell, for posting.

(Message edited by Kathleen on December 09, 2007)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.