Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Gate from Mendelssohn Estate « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Willow
Username: Willow

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, December 07, 2007 - 5:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am looking for information concerning the gate that was at the Mendelssohn estate at 1000 Lakeshore, Grosse Pointe Shores. This property was acquired by Bill Ford Sr around 1960 and it is reported that he donated the iron entrance gate to the Village of Grosse Pointe Shores. The gate has been used as a gate for the community lakeside park and is to be refurbished this winter. Any historical information about the design or designer would be helpful. If any pictures exist of the gate in place at the Mendelssohn Estate they would also help with the history

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 5218
Posted on Friday, December 07, 2007 - 6:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Might have to try GP Historical or the Burton Collection. There was a poster on here named metaldoctor. He could tell you. Did Bill Ford tear down a home to build his own?

Willow

Post Number: 2
Posted on Friday, December 07, 2007 - 6:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Regarding the Bill Ford Sr house, I understand he razed the Mendelssohn house and put up his present home. His gates are wooden with brick walls along Lakeshore

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 727
Posted on Friday, December 07, 2007 - 8:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

PS
What is the best way to rehab a rusty wrought iron gate with new paint?

Prokopowicz
Username: Prokopowicz

Post Number: 24
Posted on Saturday, December 08, 2007 - 11:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Was this Mendelssohn family Jewish? I've always heard that in those days it was impossible for Jews to buy in Grosse Pointe.

Willow

Post Number: 3
Posted on Saturday, December 08, 2007 - 2:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Regarding the Religious affiliation of the Mendelssohns, when she died her obituary reported that she was buried out of St Joan of Arc in St Clair Shores.

Regarding the rehab process , I cannot help with a professional opinion, but as a homeownwer I never painted any metal unless it was clean of rust down to bare metal.

I am still hoping for some historical information about the gate or estate

Jrvass
Username: Jrvass

Post Number: 343
Posted on Saturday, December 08, 2007 - 4:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rusty wrought iron... yes. you need to get to bare metal. There is a jelly substance whose name escapes me now... naval jelly?... that stops the rust.

Anyway. Once the rust is stopped you need primer & paint. Rust-o-leum or similar is fine.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 3998
Posted on Saturday, December 08, 2007 - 4:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I see naval jelly is phosphoric acid. Would that be a problem with restoration work?

There's also cosmoline.

Jrvass
Username: Jrvass

Post Number: 344
Posted on Saturday, December 08, 2007 - 5:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do you drink Coca-Cola? It's the 5th ingredient listed! A neighbor of mine restores old gas pumps (the kind with the glass tanks on top) using a wire brush wheel.

When he finishes a piece, it gets primed.

Cosmoline is primarily used to preserve old surplus battle rifles. That gooey grease goes everywhere. To sweat it out of wood, etc., put a 100-w bulb in a metal trash can and hope for warmer weather!

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 3999
Posted on Saturday, December 08, 2007 - 5:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Do you drink Coca-Cola? It's the 5th ingredient listed!

Well, then that explains why I'm so rust free!

I'd really like to see Metaldoctor chime in on this.

Willow

Post Number: 4
Posted on Saturday, December 08, 2007 - 5:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If someone could ask "Dream" to input to the history aspect, that is my original question regarding the history of the gate and estate

Sstashmoo
Username: Sstashmoo

Post Number: 672
Posted on Sunday, December 09, 2007 - 7:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What is the best way to rehab a rusty wrought iron gate with new paint?

Sandblasting

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.