Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » New bridge... New Landmark... « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 1012
Posted on Saturday, December 08, 2007 - 7:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What are you talking about? The plan you're speaking of would look horrible. The RenCen itself defines Detroit if you haven't noticed.

Lifeinmontage
Username: Lifeinmontage

Post Number: 46
Posted on Saturday, December 08, 2007 - 7:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^^I second that statement, Rise.

Also, couldn't some of our grand old buildings be rehabed into landmarks once again? Or are we only interested in what's shiny and new?

Detroitrise

Post Number: 1014
Posted on Saturday, December 08, 2007 - 7:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And I second that Lifeinmontage. We can't even handle what we already have, let along build new.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 4126
Posted on Saturday, December 08, 2007 - 7:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On the Detroit side, there is room to build up a big ramp, just keep going south where 375 turns west. There's not much in the way. ...but then Windsor would have to prep a spot to receive the new span.

I don't think a new bridge is what the planners of the E. Riverfront district have in mind.

Another span downstream will be fine. The Ambassador does plenty to define Detroit already, plus there is the long-term plan of filling in the vacant waterfront lots west of the JLA with highrises, bringing the skyline closer to the bridge.

Lifeinmontage
Username: Lifeinmontage

Post Number: 48
Posted on Saturday, December 08, 2007 - 7:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I say we build the bridge right in the middle of the Grosse Pointes. :-)

Detroitrise

Post Number: 1015
Posted on Saturday, December 08, 2007 - 7:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh yeah, it will give us a great scenic view of the lake! A true gem!

Mdoyle
Username: Mdoyle

Post Number: 281
Posted on Saturday, December 08, 2007 - 9:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Judging from other posts Im skeptical as to whether Jackndabox has ever been to Detroit.

Gsgeorge
Username: Gsgeorge

Post Number: 389
Posted on Saturday, December 08, 2007 - 10:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm guessing he's from Toledo, or Holly.

Gsgeorge

Post Number: 390
Posted on Saturday, December 08, 2007 - 10:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

or Fairbanks, Alaska.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 1018
Posted on Saturday, December 08, 2007 - 10:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Judging from his name and posts, I'd say Seattle.

(Message edited by DetroitRise on December 08, 2007)

Leland_palmer
Username: Leland_palmer

Post Number: 420
Posted on Sunday, December 09, 2007 - 12:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Near the GM Headquarters? Seriously?

Detroitrise

Post Number: 1023
Posted on Sunday, December 09, 2007 - 12:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You're trying to call us ignorant, yet you throw out the same city/suburb or balck/white issue that continues to bring down SE Michigan. Talk about a contradiction. First you want us to get rid of our famous landmarks, then stress an idea that's already been stressed 200,000,000 other times before you even came that no one seems to want to ante up the money for, and then you want to implant a tacky bridge near the GM headquarters because it feel it will "define us." I wouldn't vote you for mayor if you were "the right skin color" the way you're speaking. I have too much love for Detroit in reality. I will side withand support anything for the BENEFIT of Detroit proper. If you loved the city of Detroit, then why are you trying to basically jack up all the infrastructure and historical landmarks in place, them dream about something without the funds to do it with?

No offense either, but I think you're racist too by the way. Blank panther fist? what the heck are you talking about? Wrong skin color?

Fastcarsfreedom
Username: Fastcarsfreedom

Post Number: 206
Posted on Sunday, December 09, 2007 - 12:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok...whether you like the idea of a bridge near the RenCen or not (it would be, roughly speaking, located directly above the Tunnel), it makes no sense on the Windsor side--unless they want to exercise eminent domain on a huge swatch of neighborhoods from the riverfront south to the 401...we're talking several miles of freeway that would need to be carved into the city.

If Ambassador builds it's cable-stayed twin, so be it.

The other span, well into the planning by the Detroit River International Crossing group will be downriver--in the Zug area--connecting on the Windsor side with an extension of the 401 which will be built through to the current EC Row Expressway/Ojibway Parkway area.

The whole point of a new crossing is to have a third, separate gateway--and to have a proper freeway connection on the Canadian side--something that doesn't exist at current crossings.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 1025
Posted on Sunday, December 09, 2007 - 12:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"(it would be, roughly speaking, located directly above the Tunnel)"

Exactly my point. Why put a bridge OVER a connection to Windsor already in place?

I personally say draw one from Belle Isle to Windsor, but that's my opinion and I'm not getting dog piled over it.

Gsgeorge

Post Number: 394
Posted on Sunday, December 09, 2007 - 12:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As just another "dumb" DYer, this may not be taken too seriously, but: thanks DETROITRISE for a thoughtful response.

fist

Detroitrise

Post Number: 1026
Posted on Sunday, December 09, 2007 - 1:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm going to bed! I'm already traumatized that the Ice Storm that I was looking forward to is getting a bit shaky. Now people want to post crazy posts and ideas then call me dumb. I am through for tonight!

Good Night everyone!

Gsgeorge

Post Number: 396
Posted on Sunday, December 09, 2007 - 1:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

g'night. where'd Jackindabox's OP go? Did he realize something?

(Message edited by gsgeorge on December 09, 2007)

Gsgeorge

Post Number: 400
Posted on Sunday, December 09, 2007 - 3:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

posts are gone, but not really gone. saved this for posterity.

jackindabox freakout

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.