Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Can't we do something about this asshole?????? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 912
Posted on Monday, November 06, 2006 - 2:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BY NICHOLAS J. COTSONIKA

FREE PRESS SPORTS WRITER

Did Lions president Matt Millen rip coach Steve Mariucci during last year's 27-7 Thanksgiving loss to Atlanta before firing him the following Monday?

Falcons coach Jim Mora said Wednesday that in the locker room after the game, Atlanta media relayed comments "Matt had said rather loudly regarding Steve" in the press box.

"Some of our media people came down and said, 'You can't believe what Matt Millen was saying up there,' " Mora said in a teleconference with the Detroit media to preview Sunday's Falcons-Lions game. "And so I was obviously very concerned about Steve's future at that point."

Mora, on Mariucci's staff in San Francisco from 1997 to 2003, said he called Mariucci's house on the bus ride home to check on him.

"I mean, he's a very, very good friend of mine -- very good friend," Mora said. "Yeah, I was concerned."

But Mora also said he didn't know if it was "accurate or not" that Millen had spoken in the press box, and the Free Press was unable to find any quotes attributed to him from during the game. He declined to comment to the Free Press on Mariucci's status after the game.

Lions spokesman Bill Keenist said Millen declined to comment Wednesday.

what me worry?

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 913
Posted on Monday, November 06, 2006 - 2:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mariucci was a class act in a classless organization

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 10862
Posted on Friday, November 10, 2006 - 10:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Mariucci was a class act in a classless organization

Who gives a shit if he was a class act, we want wins in this town. Give us the biggest asshole, most classless act in football, and if he can win games, this city will stand behind him.

Seriously, do you think Rick Carlisle was a class act? How about Larry Brown's antics? Both coaches had some serious issues or some sort, yet nobody cared, they won games.

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 8962
Posted on Friday, November 10, 2006 - 4:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sport, we still don't have wins but I agree sith that assessment. The drunk bastard (Ford) could really give a shit could he? He is still making more money than any of us could.

_sj_
Username: _sj_

Post Number: 1579
Posted on Monday, November 13, 2006 - 12:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This was all bunk, reporters close to the situation than Mora say this never happened.

And if it did so what, nothing more or worse than what the idiots scream at their TV's during the game.

Hornist9
Username: Hornist9

Post Number: 24
Posted on Monday, December 11, 2006 - 11:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

classless organization, nope, more like a Mickeymouse organization...

Ford is the problem. Nothing will ever change until he gives up control of the team, although Millen has finally beaten the urge to watch professional football at all. I would rather spend time watching a good college game instead of the NFL. Thanks Mr. 23-70 (as Drew Sharp calls Millen).

_sj_
Username: _sj_

Post Number: 1623
Posted on Monday, December 11, 2006 - 11:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ford is not going anywhere so get that out of your head. The NFL will bend over backwards to urge Ford not to sell and owning a Pro Football Team right now is as good as gold.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.