Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Ben Wallace & the Chicago Bulls « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 4033
Posted on Monday, November 27, 2006 - 7:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Uh oh... looks like Ben Wallace isn't exactly making like nice with his new coach in Chicago.

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20061127/S PORTS0102/611270346/1127

Smogboy

Post Number: 4034
Posted on Monday, November 27, 2006 - 8:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm wondering if we didn't cut bait at the right time now seeing as how he's starting to flare up with a "me" attitude. Don't get me wrong- when he was here in Detroit, he was all about team but there's a certain point when I'm wondering if he didn't start reading some of his own press clippings and start thinking he was more than just one man on a team.

Zephyrprocess
Username: Zephyrprocess

Post Number: 144
Posted on Monday, November 27, 2006 - 9:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I dunno, Smogboy--McCosky's DetNews account makes it sound like Skiles has a chip on his shoulder.

Smogboy

Post Number: 4038
Posted on Tuesday, November 28, 2006 - 1:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The one thing I kinda caught in the article was that it was one of Skiles' "long-standing team rules" that was broken. Did Ben not know this about the headband rule? And I also read that it was John Paxson rule and NOT a Scott Skiles decree.

As far as some of the other things such as the ankle tape, the loud music, the wristbands, and the tucking in of the uniform all seem ticky tacky to me but coaches can be strange that way. I'm wondering if Ben still thinks he made the right decision by bolting Detroit.

I'm sure their 4-9 record at the moment doesn't help either.

Justbeamensch
Username: Justbeamensch

Post Number: 54
Posted on Tuesday, November 28, 2006 - 7:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love Ben's game, but Skiles will not put up with some of the funny stuff he pulled in Detroit last year. Somebody tell Ben to shut up and learn to hit free throws.

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 3360
Posted on Tuesday, November 28, 2006 - 7:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's a couple of big egos there. Tough to tell how this will come out.

Ben was heading off the reservation last year with this moody encounters with Flip Sanders. I think that is the main reason they let him loose, the free throw shooting and inability to consistently score inside the other.

Too bad, I really liked Ben. He was the heart and soul of the rising team, always the quiet, sharing team guy. He hasn't seemed the same since the day he throttled Artest by the throat triggering the big blowup.

Smogboy

Post Number: 4042
Posted on Wednesday, November 29, 2006 - 3:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm wondering if Ben's actions weren't noted earlier with is disagreements with Rick Carlisle, Larry Brown AND Flip Saunders. I understand wanting to be competitive and all, but at what point does a player weigh in more than a coach to a team??

$60 million?

I'm not so sure that the Pistons let him go just on the idea that he wasn't scoring consistently. I think they knew that going into it and had players around him who could pad the team's points. I think they wanted him to be a more solid rebounding force and I'm not sure if Ben wanted to score more himself. I think that Joe D. knew that Ben wasn't as multi-dimensional as Ben thought he was and let him go to the Bulls.

I don't know how all of this is going to play out in Chicago just yet, but it hasn't started off well for them.

(It does make my heart grow fond of the rivalry that the Thomas/ Dumars Pistons had against the Jordan Bulls though.)

Eastside
Username: Eastside

Post Number: 983
Posted on Wednesday, November 29, 2006 - 9:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ben loved LB. Brown knew how to manage him...always throwing Ben a bone, always keeping him involved on the offensive end. (Anybody remember game 1 of the 05 Eastern Finals? We came out and ran all the offense through Ben. Miami said they did not prepare for that. Classic LB right there.
Conversely, FS did not have any offensive sets that ran though Ben...none. It really was 4 on 5 every time down. Ben did not have any illusions about his offensive acumen, as some speculate. In reality, he just wanted to contribute or FEEL as though he was contributing. This was the direct reason he revolted against Saunders in Orlando...and was the beginning of the end.
In this regard, Flip Saunders was totally remiss...along with overplaying the starters.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 952
Posted on Wednesday, November 29, 2006 - 2:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is Flip's year to prove himself

Yvette248
Username: Yvette248

Post Number: 235
Posted on Sunday, December 03, 2006 - 1:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm wondering if Ben still thinks he made the right decision by bolting Detroit....

#1. I think its pretty safe to say No.

#2. There are a number of great players who couldn't sink a free throw to save their lives. Shaq and Dennis Rodman immediately comes to mind. Ben Wallace is another.

Smogboy

Post Number: 4052
Posted on Sunday, December 03, 2006 - 7:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Regardless of whether Ben thinks he made the right decision or not I'm really glad to see Joe D. not matching the Chicago offer. I think what Joe & the Pistons organization offered was fair for a player of Ben's skills. It was probably the best fit for both sides but obviously Ben thought otherwise and now he's got to live with those decisions for the next four years.

It kind of saddens me to see some of the national pundits shredding Ben a little bit over the sweatband fiasco and how he's not really working out as well as Paxson thought he was going to work out in Chicago.

Genesyxx
Username: Genesyxx

Post Number: 636
Posted on Monday, December 11, 2006 - 8:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok, In all seriousness, WHY IS BEN WALLACE GETTING FULL PAGE SPREADS ON THE FRONT OF MY SUNDAY PAPER!?

Knocturnal
Username: Knocturnal

Post Number: 178
Posted on Saturday, December 16, 2006 - 11:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Back to Back 20+ rebound games (20 & 27, respectively) for Big Ben and the Bulls have won 9 of 10. I think that they may be starting to find their groove.

Knocturnal
Username: Knocturnal

Post Number: 180
Posted on Thursday, December 28, 2006 - 8:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Speaking of these same Bulls, anyone on here headed to Chicago to watch next Saturday's matchup between Ben's current and former team?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.