Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Solid ESPN.com story about Tigers « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Southofeight
Username: Southofeight

Post Number: 62
Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 4:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jayson Stark wrote a solid piece today. He's right, a little winning goes a long way.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/ spring2007/columns/story?colum nist=stark_jayson&id=2782401&l pos=spotlight&lid=tab2pos1

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 1752
Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 5:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good to see the Tigs get the respect they earned

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 4578
Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 6:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow... what a great story. The Todd Jones segment was really touching.

To think, it was just a few months ago that we were seeing guys like Rogers and Zumaya jumping into the stands showering the people with champagne. That's as probably as close to an event as Ted Lindsay taking the Cup around the rink to show his adoring public as I can think of. They weren't content with celebrating amongst themselves- they brought us along for the ride as well and it was fun.

Southofeight

Post Number: 65
Posted on Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 2:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Smogboy, I think that points directly to the fabric of what makes Detroit and the people who live here so distinct and so "real." Think you'd see that same display from a Yankee? From Shaq?

I read that story yesterday and I'm still thinking about Jonesy sitting on the back of the pitcher's mound while the locker room was raging. Thirty-two days ...

Smogboy

Post Number: 4586
Posted on Friday, March 02, 2007 - 3:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Southofeight, a guy like Jonesy who had been with the organization through its really lean years knew exactly how to savor the moment. I don't think what he did wouldn't be too far from how I'd want to quietly and intimately celebrate that accomplishment. I'd be willing to bet you that for him, it was a very spiritual moment where he got to thank the Big Guy upstairs.

And for being blessed to play a game too.

How much more blessed can a guy get?

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 860
Posted on Monday, March 05, 2007 - 12:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lest we forget:

Photo courtesy of the Detroit News.

Smogboy

Post Number: 4618
Posted on Monday, March 05, 2007 - 1:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WOW! What a great pic.

I think everyone should deserve a few moments like that in life where they can just soak it all in like that.

Southofeight

Post Number: 70
Posted on Monday, March 05, 2007 - 2:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great find. That IS pretty cool.

Smogboy

Post Number: 4645
Posted on Monday, March 05, 2007 - 3:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually they're showing Grapfruit League play of the Tigers & Yankees on ESPN right now.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.