Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Darren McCarty « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Eric_w
Username: Eric_w

Post Number: 43
Posted on Saturday, March 10, 2007 - 2:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Saw former Wing Darren McCarty is on the Calgary Flames IR list with a Hernia- I'd bet he's done for the season. He sure has fallen off. In my opinion he wasted his talent.Had he shown more dedication and worked harder during off seasons perhaps he wouldn't have been injured nearly as much. From what I heard about him off season for him was "Party Time" and never tried to keep in tiptop shape That's too bad. Though he's a hero in " Hockeytown " I wish & think he could've been better.

Ericdetfan
Username: Ericdetfan

Post Number: 32
Posted on Sunday, March 11, 2007 - 12:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My favorite memory of Darren is when he dissected Patrick Roy in the 98 playoffs. Man o man that was awesome.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 4742
Posted on Sunday, March 11, 2007 - 3:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And some of the other demons that haunt McCarty are really a shame too. His battles with the bottle, his financial troubles (hearing about him having to auction off his Stanley Cup memorabilia nearly broke my heart), gambling and personal matters have really been tough. He'll always be revered as a Wing for his services (timely goals and timely fisticuffs back in the day when fighting was still in vogue) but I hope one of these days, he can right his ship and get his life moving in a positive direction beyond hockey.

Hockey_player
Username: Hockey_player

Post Number: 319
Posted on Monday, March 12, 2007 - 5:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quote: "My favorite memory of Darren is when he dissected Patrick Roy in the 98 playoffs. Man o man that was awesome."

The Wings didn't play Colorado in the '98 playoffs. Colorado was beaten in the first round by Edmonton.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 4758
Posted on Monday, March 12, 2007 - 6:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think ericdetfan was referring to the 1997 Stanley Cup playoffs...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1 996-97_NHL_season

Ericdetfan

Post Number: 37
Posted on Wednesday, March 14, 2007 - 3:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Must have been but damn that was 10 years ago...I'm lucky if I remember what happened 10 minutes ago.

Username: 1805

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 10:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

2002, actually.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/story/2002/05/18/avs_wing020518.html

(Message edited by 1805 on March 15, 2007)

Peter
Username: Peter

Post Number: 21
Posted on Monday, March 19, 2007 - 10:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

McCarty was great... the grind line was famous across the NHL

Ericdetfan

Post Number: 39
Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2007 - 12:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm getting old...lol

Thnk2mch
Username: Thnk2mch

Post Number: 824
Posted on Monday, March 26, 2007 - 8:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Remember this?...10 years ago today.

Thanks to
this site for this pic and many more.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.