Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Worst Parts of Detroit? « Previous Next »
Archive through October 20, 2007Abracadabra30 10-20-07  2:19 pm
Archive through October 22, 2007Fareastsider30 10-22-07  9:51 am
Archive through November 09, 2007Lefty230 11-09-07  8:06 pm
Archive through January 24, 2008Lefty230 01-24-08  10:08 pm
Archive through April 09, 2008Isiostar30 04-09-08  12:22 am
Archive through April 16, 2008Craig30 04-16-08  3:59 pm
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 11493
Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 4:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

That's a total crock.

That's a total cop-out. Lame excuses and placing the blame on someone else, again!

So mass exodus of 1MM people and the vast majority of the capital and wealth in the city leaving has no ramifications. Wow.

Now, tell us how the unions have had no control of their fate and it is the big bad companies that are killing the unions. How does it feel to always be right, regardless of the facts.

Bragaboutme
Username: Bragaboutme

Post Number: 162
Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 5:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wonder when this so called downturn of the city occurred! Was it the 50's, 60's, 90's?

Was it when people start leaving in droves?

Ever person that left the city has there right to live where they want to live, But don't turn and say that the reason you left was because of some B.S. excuse.

Everyone has had their share of problems with new laws that are put into place, New power who get voted into office, or any other murphy's law that may apply to the situation, But to put the whole Detroit city into your individual situation that happened at that time in your life is preposterous!
Yes, Detroit has neighborhood disfuctions', but when you rant keep it to your neighborhood. Meaning the block you stayed on, school district Etc.

The real reason most of the people left was the opportunity to do so, not the violence, crime, Ect.

When you lose 1 million people it is evident that the place you grew up won't be the same period, and to think it would be the same is crazy.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 4627
Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 5:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm with Jt1, and yes, the government did subsidize suburban development. It was not wholly responsible, because people's preferences did change in the 1950s, but the massively subsidized mortgages exaggerated the effect and created perverse effects in the housing market. And the building of highways and other infrastructure were and still are a sine qua non for sprawl. That was taxpayer funded, Craig, and it's funny because most of those taxpayers were and still are in the inner city and inner-ring suburbs. We derive no benefits from a widening of Hall Road.

Government expenditures have bolstered and enabled suburbanization for 60 years, yet so many don't understand the uphill climb that Detroit and many other cities, stripped of their tax base and now made anything but a priority by the government, have to face. And then you blame it on the lazy citizens who supposedly don't care (all of them, right?)...

Grumpyoldlady
Username: Grumpyoldlady

Post Number: 56
Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 5:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I didn't just leave Detroit, after Detroit criminals started doing their business in the Thumb, we got the heck out of the whole darn state! Love it here in rural Minnesota. Sure, there's still drugs and occasional breakins, but people around here feel safe leaving their doors and cars unlocked. Our property taxes on a 6 bedroom farmhouse on 40 acres run a TOTAL of $432 per year!

Jt1

Post Number: 11494
Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 5:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

after Detroit criminals started doing their business in the Thumb

Give me a fucking break.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 4628
Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 5:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, obviously you should leave the entire state because no place is "safe" when all these criminals are in the...thumb?

I was happy to hear that you're not a racist, Grumpyoldlady, but damn, you sound a bit delusional. Enjoy rural Minnesota...

Jt1

Post Number: 11498
Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 5:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Yeah, obviously you should leave the entire state because no place is "safe" when all these criminals are in the...thumb?

No, you have it wrong. It is the 'Detroit' criminals that are all over the place. Without all of these 'Detroit' criminals terrorizing people all over the State Michigan would be perfect.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 4629
Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 6:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's right. All crime is born in Detroit. It's so big and scary...obviously.

Here's an anecdote: I grew up three houses past the Detroit city limits near Mack/Warren, and then less than one block past the limits near Mack/Marseilles. In 19 years, and now several more years since I've left that home, we've never witnessed any crime of any type. I've only known of three incidents of property crime among all of my neighbors in all of those years. If ever there was a place that the "Detroit" criminals would follow you, it would be the rows of tidy colonial houses in western Grosse Pointe that meet the City limit near a rather depressed but quiet Detroit neighborhood. They haven't hurt us there...but apparently they skipped on us and started terrorizing farmhouses in Lapeer county. That's a funny story!

Isiostar
Username: Isiostar

Post Number: 6
Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 7:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The same people who destroy Detroit, are the same ones coming to your Mich city soon due to new subsidies. Only those who love and support Detroit will stay.So start packing.

(Message edited by isiostar on April 16, 2008)

Living_in_the_d
Username: Living_in_the_d

Post Number: 167
Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 8:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, The D is Cool. Nuff Said.

Swiburn
Username: Swiburn

Post Number: 242
Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2008 - 8:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit would have its abandoned homes leveled "instantly" if we could say that Al Quaeda is setting up a nefarious network in them to do great harm to the U.S.
We've got to tie this to the terrorism threat- nobody cares about a bunch of abandoned buildings.

Roadmaster49
Username: Roadmaster49

Post Number: 21
Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2008 - 11:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, I don't think you can blame folks who leave Detroit or move around in the U.S. It is one of the great opportunities of living in America. Freedom of movement. I think in some ways I am preaching to the choir, in that, GOGO is referring mostly to people who have left Detroit for it's surrounding suburbs. If I understand it, the move was for safety reasons, and removal of the negative components of city life. To be sure, people must have a limit. Remembers Mazlo's hierarchy in Psych 101? Before a person chooses to aspire to great things or reach out to a broader world, the basics need taken care of. Regrettably, the longer a person stays in the basics, the less life they get to live - that life that provides the "spice" and gives us clarity and reflection in our aged years.

In America, we need to be able to move. I have freely lived in Iowa, Houston, Texas, Montana, Missouri now back to Iowa.

Imagine if we could live in greater Detroit with no or "usual" crime rates - able to walk around, see neighbors without fear, go to events at dusk whenever and wherever. Different city? Different city!

I'm pasty white. I love ethnic diversity and would love to move to an ethnically diverse Detroit neighborhood. But I get mad when posters jump all over grumpyoldlady about maybe being racist then she has to fall in line as "diverse".

I believe most of the high crime issues in down trodden Detroit neighborhoods and the percentage of blacks and latinos in greater Detroit has risen in the last 30 years are mutually reliable statistics.

Now, blacks can call me racist all day long (I'm not) but I pre-judge blacks to the biggest crime group in greater Detroit.

And it sickens me that black activists paint a wider brush and really, nothing gets done. Kwame is sitting there banging his assistant, when he could be taking on the job of a lifetime. He could show up to office in a humble ride, but chooses an Escalade and a posse.

Murders in Houston were a mixed bag when I was there, plenty of white murderers - usually domestic violence. But most of the crime was by blacks and hispanics.

I just wish a black leader would come out and address this issue with a long term plan to turn around the harm caused by the "Great Society" programs of the 60's. Black manhood hasn't recovered.

What's so wrong about wanting to live within your means, in a community, raise kids, go to ball games, throw snowballs, etc?

When did smashing car windows and breaking and entering become desirable over living a wholesome life?

Just some thoughts, I'm sure to get a "diversity" rebuttal to all this...

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 917
Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2008 - 12:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some anti-social behavior cannot be tolerated. Giving excuses only enables them. People (no matter where they come from) need to be held accountable for their behavior. Peer groups normally do this however when the peer groups are disfunctional, you're going to have problems.
Look at the city leadership and you'll see what I mean.

Roadmaster49

Post Number: 22
Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2008 - 12:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I understand that - and I have several black friends. I can't really openly discuss this because they probably wouldn't be my friends anymore. All live in the suburbs or are intermingled with other races, and are a minority but have families, professions, go to church. They don't like the effects of urban crime any more then I do.

African Americans need a leader or two or three. I personally like the Washington DC mayor. I wonder what Barack Obama wants to do about the plight of inner cities. Certainly Chicago, in his backyard, needs some leadership.

Gogo
Username: Gogo

Post Number: 1411
Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2008 - 12:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Roadmaster - Of course people are free to move and go as they please. I was referring to the people who move from Detroit, but then continue to nit pick about how it is doing and how it should be doing when they don't even live here anymore. I've also lived in many places. Its never once occurred to me to look back on those places and tell them how they should be run or how they should look to satisfy my nostalgia or memories.

I also don't believe the initial reason people moved from Detroit was due to crime. When people who have moved from Detroit talk about leaving due to crime, they are talking 70's - today. But this exodus started in the 50's mainly due to government subsidies. These subsidies helped build the freeways that lead out of the city and the infrastructure to build new roads and public works outside of the city core, thinning the population density and making it easier for people to live further from urban cores.

In parallel, government subsidies also funded the clearance of "ghettos" dispursing a fairly dense and large minority population throughout the city. Think of Lafayette Park. It was once a very dense area filled with many minorities, once cleared, this population was no longer concentrated but dispersed amongst many other neighborhoods which were mainly white and uncomfortable with their new neighbors. Seeing the opportunities to move into the suburbs, many middle class families moved. As these middle class families moved out of Detroit and were replaced with dispersed minorities from cleared "ghettos" other middle class families quickly followed. This was accelerated by realtors looking to make a buck from home sales by spreading fear of decreased property values once a black family moved on their block, which was partially true since the federal government (in order to approve home loans) assessed home values based on population make up. The number of minority homes decreased the value a home loan would be approved for.

Of course some middle class white families stayed. They "toughed" it out and eventually moved due to crime, lowered property values, etc.

Perhaps that is the case for exmotowner, buyamerican, etc. But this was long after the damage was done and the exodus had started decades earlier. In Michigan, the balance of funding towards the suburbs and beyond is still heavily skewed, whereas other metro areas have recognized the need for a strong core and have regionally addressed these issues, Michigan has not.

Gogo
Username: Gogo

Post Number: 1412
Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2008 - 12:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh I had a point to my last post. When people say that they Detroit because of crime, crime is/was only a symptom of a bigger problem. When people left Detroit because of abandoned buildings or think Detroit looks ugly because of abandoned buildings, the buildings that are abandoned are only a symptom of a larger problem.

This area has a tendency to address symptoms rather than the root cause. We do not have a bustling downtown like we did back in the day, because we do not have the density that we had back in the day. We have abandoned buildings, homes, neighborhoods, because we have spread out so thin in this region that we cannot sustain all of the housing and infrastructure that we have built. We have shitty roads and crumbling bridges because we have built more infrastructure than a region of this population needs. The reason Detroit isn't like it was back in the day, is because it does not have the density it had back in the day.

This is by design, a flawed design, but a design and regional plan implemented in the 1940/50's which sought to aleviate the congestion and housing shortages that plagued Detroit at the time. The crime, abandoned buildings, crumbling infrastructure, lack of mass transit, budget deficits, etc. are all symptoms of bad regional planning.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 4637
Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2008 - 2:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gogo, you make some good points, especially in terms of how density effects outcomes. I like how you think.

Tkshreve
Username: Tkshreve

Post Number: 296
Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2008 - 2:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ditto^

Living_in_the_d
Username: Living_in_the_d

Post Number: 168
Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2008 - 2:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, Ditto.

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 114
Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2008 - 3:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gogo, that is a post we really all need to remember when we complain about almost anything wrong with this city. Very nice.

Roadmaster49

Post Number: 23
Posted on Friday, April 18, 2008 - 7:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree. Beautiful commentary that really helps me understand the bigger picture. Now what? You seem to be very knowledgable of the root cause, are you in city government? Who is doing the urban planning these days?

Again, I would love to be Kwame or someone who could tackle these issues. It won't happen overnight of course, but it seems a better career path then "business administration (Yawn!) or some other college option.

Ggores
Username: Ggores

Post Number: 53
Posted on Friday, April 18, 2008 - 8:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

generic.

Roadmaster49

Post Number: 25
Posted on Saturday, April 19, 2008 - 8:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ggores,
My comments or Gogo's?

I think it's a bullseye comment. There is always an overlying cause, and several subplots to social issues.

Ggores
Username: Ggores

Post Number: 55
Posted on Saturday, April 19, 2008 - 12:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

gogo's, but it is not a disagreement, i just mean to say that gogo's comments should be obvious to decision-maker's, so by referring to the post is in reality a high compliment. it still doesn't come close to current reality though. just my opinion. it's history. against herstory. heh.

Django
Username: Django

Post Number: 156
Posted on Saturday, April 19, 2008 - 12:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Worst places
My living room and kitchen, East side on Medbury I94 and Mt. Elliot are the worst ive seen.

Django
Username: Django

Post Number: 157
Posted on Saturday, April 19, 2008 - 12:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

someone should do something about that place.

Grumpyoldlady
Username: Grumpyoldlady

Post Number: 67
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 1:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Back to my comment about "Detroit criminals" doing their business in the Thumb. Of 11 breakins that I knew of in Richmond, Goodells, Marysville, Memphis and Smiths Creek, 9 were committed by people who lived in Detroit at the time. Now Port Huron is becoming a little Detroit. Most crimes in Port Huron are committed by former Detroiters who fled Detroit. This from a PH police officer. The murder of a neighbor of ours was done by someone from Detroit. As the police explained to us, the proximity to I-94 made it easy to get to the area, do the deed, and get out quickly. There were many more that weren't caught, but good police work caught quite a few.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 4671
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 10:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When I go up north I'm always hearing f-ed up shit on the news-- drugs, drunken gun fights, sex predators. Funny how all those people aren't from Detroit. Methinks GOL takes extra close note of the crimes that are committed by the "urban others," and passes off the other crimes in the margins. There's no way that crime in the thumb is carried out by majority Detroiters.

What does Port Huron is becoming a little Detroit mean? That's it's blacker than the rest of the thumb and it has more crime than the rest of the thumb? Is the south side of Chicago a little Detroit now with its upswing in violence recently? Is Detroit known simply for being black and crime-ridden? That's not how I conceive it.

Hpgrmln
Username: Hpgrmln

Post Number: 428
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 4:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I talked recently with a guy from Port Huron and his sentiment was nothing like that. He said the city did have some gang issues but the police have tackled most of them. He's working down here right now due to the lack of decent-paying jobs up there,and poverty plays a role in some things, but largely its property crimes, like vandalism, that seem to be PH's biggest crime waves.Its poor, so the neighborhoods look a bit shabby, but are not as unsafe as some may think. When you live in a rural area, a city of 30,000 with some gangs and theft issues would seem pretty bad. But if you look at other cities of roughly the same size with the same average per capita incomes, Port Huron is probably about normal. This guy lives there and has had criminal justice studies.He knows the place better than I do and knows about crime trends, so I'm not disregarding what he says.

Erikd
Username: Erikd

Post Number: 1014
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 6:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Back to my comment about "Detroit criminals" doing their business in the Thumb. Of 11 breakins that I knew of in Richmond, Goodells, Marysville, Memphis and Smiths Creek, 9 were committed by people who lived in Detroit at the time. Now Port Huron is becoming a little Detroit. Most crimes in Port Huron are committed by former Detroiters who fled Detroit. This from a PH police officer. The murder of a neighbor of ours was done by someone from Detroit. As the police explained to us, the proximity to I-94 made it easy to get to the area, do the deed, and get out quickly.

This post really proves the point that crime is just a Detroit problem, and it is about time for the city residents to fix it.

I remember the good old days, when you could deal with an increase in crime by simply running away from the problem. Nowadays, even if you move 60 miles away from the city, the Detroit criminals will just follow you. Most of the crime in the thumb is caused by people that live in Detroit, fled Detroit, or maybe just visited Detroit.

Just ask a Port Huron cop, he will tell you how it is. Port Huron would be virtually crime free if the Detroit criminals didn't have such quick and easy access via I-94.

It makes perfect sense when you think about it...

If you were a criminal from Detroit, driving up I-94, would you rob a liquor store a few miles down the road? Would you steal a car from the parking lot at Eastland or Macomb mall? Would you break into a house in Indian Village, Grosse Pointe, or St. Claire Shores?

OR would you pass all of that up for the quick and easy access to Port Huron? You could drive from Detroit to Port Huron, commit a crime, and be back in less than 2.5 hours. It's no wonder why so many Detroit criminals do it.

All I know is that the citizens of Detroit need to DO SOMETHING to stop all this crime, and make the thumb safe again!

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 1995
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 6:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I remember the good old days, when you could deal with an increase in crime by simply running away from the problem. Nowadays, even if you move 60 miles away from the city, the Detroit criminals will just follow you. Most of the crime in the thumb is caused by people that live in Detroit, fled Detroit, or maybe just visited Detroit."

Ahh, so that's why Detroit's in its condition now, well at least we admit it. :-)

Philm
Username: Philm

Post Number: 47
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 12:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"turn around the harm caused by the "Great Society" programs of the 60's"

Are you serious? More conservative bullshit creeps in in the most bizarre of ways.
So, let me see if I have this right: A one term president's policies in the 60's have caused grievous and lasting harm despite the efforts of 20 and more years of conservative 'trickle down' policies?

Listen to yourself....

Roadmaster49

Post Number: 27
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 10:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Am listening to myself. I've done the research but won't bore all the readers.

Does anybody know or have the current demographic breakout for Detroit? I mean whites/blacks/hispanics/Asian, etc.

Retroit
Username: Retroit

Post Number: 28
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 10:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Black 81.2%
White 14.3
Asian 2.4
Native American 0.6

Margaret
Username: Margaret

Post Number: 250
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 1:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

does anyone know why that eastside neighborhood, the Alter-Kercheval-Conner-Jeffers on area, ended up so extremely destroyed? is there a reason? I would love to know...thanks. and thanks, Gogo, for the insights. very interesting comments. I grew up in that eastside neighborhood and I find it very upsetting that it's so devastated...it would help to understand how and why that happened, if possible. those were some very very long blocks! we used to cut through people's yards as a shortcut to school...my brother got bit by a dog! it's a wonder we didn't get shot, huh? but that was a long time ago...50s and 60s.

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 256
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 2:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

my answer to that last post is that when people had enuff they left. no homeowner? move in trash it go to the next house etc. i googled the address to the house i practically grew up in on Pierson north of 7mi, i end up stuck on the house on the corner , 1987 boarded up, 2008 still boarded up. why? who knows. i say i,m from Detroit yet when i drive through parts of it, i,d swear i was in either Iowa or Baghdad. People just move on and go from there thats what i think.

Divapatriot
Username: Divapatriot

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2008 - 7:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Having lived on the Eastside of Detroit since 1954, and a victim of multiple crimes, we finally moved to the Port Huron area in 1988. We are inundated with criminals who live in Detroit. That is the real truth. The Real truth. Grumpy old lady spoke the truth, she just didn't go into detail. Living here is absolutely wonderful, and the really good part is that most people have CCW's and use them if threatened. I feel very safe because we are well armed, and legal. My first husband was murdered at Hoover @ 7 Mile during a carjacking. I was abducted and raped multiple times for two days. We were robbed 4 times and the last time they destroy the house. Made it unliveable. I was accosted on the Kern block in broad daylight just walking to work at NBD-main banking. We had had enough. No more being the victim. Never again. I know what is wrong with Detroit. I know how to fix it. But no one would ever listen, and no one cares. We are so happy here, but I do have great memories of Detroit before Coleman Young took over and destroyed my city. Slimy kilpatrick is worse.And so are all the people attached to him at the hip.
When I look out the window now, I see bunny rabbits, birds, deer, sheep, horses, steer, trees, flowers and two beautiful bridges. Never again a victim.Ashamed that people didn't stand up for what was the right thing. Seven deadly sins.

Tkshreve
Username: Tkshreve

Post Number: 317
Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2008 - 9:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

does anyone know why that eastside neighborhood, the Alter-Kercheval-Conner-Jeffers on area, ended up so extremely destroyed?

Good question. All the lot clearing could have been a push towards this sectors' revitalization at one point, but any movement on this issue has long been stalled. Some new housing went up in the few blocks north of Alter and west of Mack, but this was very cheap housing, and not very much either.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q= Detroit%20sky%20maps&rls=com.m icrosoft

Select "satellite" view and go toward the corner of Alter / Jefferson. Right near the parks. Zoom in and see the barren wastelands. Compare them to the neighboring city of GP, and the steadfast community south of Jefferson just in Detroit. It is somewhat a mystery why that aforementioned area received either preferential treatment of clearing and demolition, or prior to that, the neglect and depreciation that brought about the demolition.

And what is in store for the last few remaining residents, who share entire blocks with one to two other households. Are they pressured to leave by the city? Is the the city waiting for these people to leave before doing something over there?

Does anyone have information on what is going on over in the Alter/Jefferson/Chalmers/Conne r area?

Mackinaw

Post Number: 4751
Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2008 - 10:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think some of the most aggressive abandoned-building teardowns under the last two mayor's occurred here. It all started when so many people left, as always. Cutting off so many cross-streets linking it to downtown by building a huge auto factory certainly didn't help.

I know that area pretty well and notice when new houses goes up, a sidewalk/street gets repaved, or new infrastructure is added...it's all little parts of the grand far east side master plan, which sits on the table (but there really is no rush to carry it out). In my view, so much was torn down in order to "spur" this new vision (which isn't a bad vision, in fact it's quite nice and more dense, but not justified by the market), but a hybrid solution where more extant buildings were left may have left us better off.

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 275
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 4:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

don,t blame the divapatriot for getting out, black or white if you ain,t a crook you would want out. ya think too people who lived in Detriot, moved cause of crime,retirement, or just died off. no jobs, bad hood why live there?

Margaret
Username: Margaret

Post Number: 253
Posted on Saturday, May 10, 2008 - 8:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thanks, Tk, for the wonderful satellite view...it sure is amazing, looks like that area got bombed, huh? thanks again...

Bragaboutme
Username: Bragaboutme

Post Number: 225
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 6:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The real reason that area is so barren: Chrysler built the factory on conners, but the majority of the employee were hired from the suburbs, and many who lived in the area were layed off (blacks and whites) which strengthened the wave that was already moving out. The Crack Era hit the area real hard after that and spread to the Grosse Point border. To this day people are still trying to uphold the area through the storm.

Divapatroit, there is no fix for loss of population nomatter what mayor is in place.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 2122
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 8:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, there is one benefit from living in 48205 or Del-Ray:

You'll find the cheapest gas around. :-)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.