Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Worst Parts of Detroit? » Archive through October 20, 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 302
Posted on Friday, October 19, 2007 - 8:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What do you think are the worst parts of Detroit. Explain please.

I vote SW Detroit. outside the little corridor known as Mexican Village, it's just like our own little Compton (or whatever ghetto outside LA). There's Prostitutes and Gangs (probably influenced by the Hispanic Children) who dominate the blighted intersection of Michigan and Livernois. It's probably the most polluted part of town as well.

Nuclearxwinter
Username: Nuclearxwinter

Post Number: 29
Posted on Friday, October 19, 2007 - 8:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't think that Michigan and Livernois is really all that bad.. especially compared to some areas on the northeast side and even northwestern areas... It is actually a pretty neat area. I can't argue about the pollution... but that is what happens when you are situated next to river rouge.

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 301
Posted on Friday, October 19, 2007 - 8:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Troy.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 303
Posted on Friday, October 19, 2007 - 8:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I will argue for the NE side (all things considered). I live on the Northeast side and it's fairly tame compared to other parts of the city I've seen. The homes in many parts (except the Whittier-Hayes-Gratiot-7 Mile areas) are still fairly nice and desirable for a Middle Class Family. The worst I've experienced was property theft. The gangs that are around are harmless. The Koreans must like it if they choose to remain here.

Hybridy
Username: Hybridy

Post Number: 174
Posted on Friday, October 19, 2007 - 8:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i'm doing my masters project in sw
working with the dift the dric the bowtie
all encompassing that whole sw area
im a skinny white kid
no problems for me
i vote for nw and the areas directly east of new center midtown-GHETTO

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 3822
Posted on Friday, October 19, 2007 - 8:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Terrible thread idea, sorry.

How are going to judge "bad?"

Ugly, dirty, most blighted, most empty, most unsafe, most drugs, the neighborhood we'd least like to live in, a composite of all those factors?

I could probably name different neighborhoods for each of those categories. Then again, unless one of us has lived in every different neighborhood, how could we say for sure? And just what is a "part" of Detroit? A block or two, a neighborhood, a couple of neighborhoods?

This thread can't accomplish much good.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 304
Posted on Friday, October 19, 2007 - 8:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"http://www.city-data.com/forum /detroit/8986-worst-areas-detr oit.html"

Apparently, the people on this site think it's an interesting topic. That's right, I'm on DetroitYes, not that other site.

(Message edited by Detroitrise on October 19, 2007)

Mackinaw

Post Number: 3823
Posted on Friday, October 19, 2007 - 9:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, and it turned out really well on that site.

Futurecity
Username: Futurecity

Post Number: 668
Posted on Friday, October 19, 2007 - 9:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anywhere on Hall Road.

A fate worse than death itself.

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 5222
Posted on Friday, October 19, 2007 - 9:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It went south on that board fairly quick don't ya think?

Jasoncw
Username: Jasoncw

Post Number: 447
Posted on Friday, October 19, 2007 - 10:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd say the NE is fine. The lower east side is not that great. I'm guessing that's what people mean by NE?

Although it's technically safer than a lot of the rest of the city, but that's because even the criminals have abandoned it.

I don't know if it's the worst part though.

Jtw
Username: Jtw

Post Number: 178
Posted on Friday, October 19, 2007 - 10:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

any part of the city east of woodward and north of 94.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 2959
Posted on Friday, October 19, 2007 - 10:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In your head - you can make it any place you want it to be

Mackinaw

Post Number: 3824
Posted on Friday, October 19, 2007 - 10:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

By what criteria can you make such a broad sweep?!

What makes south of 94 any better? Ever seen the areas along Warren or Canfield east of Dequindre?

Elimarr
Username: Elimarr

Post Number: 20
Posted on Friday, October 19, 2007 - 11:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think the worst area is where the Incinerator is. I'm not talking people or crime now; but you know I just remember what it was like not to have that monstrosity in our midst. I realize there may be no ideal place to put it, etc. so I'm not here to argue all the issues on it and I don't think it will be relocating based on my feelings--just having an opinion, that's all.

Jrvass
Username: Jrvass

Post Number: 269
Posted on Friday, October 19, 2007 - 11:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember the elementary school janitor burning the lunch trash in the afternoon in the late-60s/early-70's in the basement. Sometimes to heat the boilers, sometimes to just get rid of the majority of it.

It had an unusual smell. Not offensive, but not pleasant either. The original building was from the late 1800's and had several additions.

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 1997
Posted on Saturday, October 20, 2007 - 12:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"What do you think are the worst parts of Detroit"

some of the forums.

Warrenite84
Username: Warrenite84

Post Number: 153
Posted on Saturday, October 20, 2007 - 1:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fort St. near the refineries, and most of Grand River past Woodbridge. I've had a few, "you don't belong here looks", so I'm willing to comply. No complaints.

Most of Detroit intimidated me until I drove around and and found my way while checking out the architecture. I know New Center, downtown, and Mexicantown pretty well now.

My family think I'm a little nutty for my trips downtown but they sure don't mind when I drive them down to the Auto Show or Greektown.

Kurwo
Username: Kurwo

Post Number: 875
Posted on Saturday, October 20, 2007 - 1:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the region south of eight mile and north of the river?

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 6151
Posted on Saturday, October 20, 2007 - 1:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well said Mauser.

Downtown_remix
Username: Downtown_remix

Post Number: 517
Posted on Saturday, October 20, 2007 - 1:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hamilton b4 highland park,,,,

Ladyinabag
Username: Ladyinabag

Post Number: 325
Posted on Saturday, October 20, 2007 - 2:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I deliver The Metro Times from 8 Mi & Dequindre, to Van Dyke, through Hamtramck. Thanks to The Chambers Bros, there are many boarded up houses and over-grown fields around Pershing High School and mostly at the end of Mound road, over the hill and on to Mt. Elliott. I would say from this area of Mt Elliott all the way downtown. You know, you can't really say because the city of Detroit is crumbling all over. It is time for a new mayor who really cares about the city rather than someone who is styling as mayor. Kwame Kilpatrick is a jive poseur.

Salvadordelmundo
Username: Salvadordelmundo

Post Number: 96
Posted on Saturday, October 20, 2007 - 3:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The neighborhood between the Forest Lawn cemetery and City Airport just seems incredibly bleak.

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 4255
Posted on Saturday, October 20, 2007 - 9:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To paraphrase a great philosopher:

What's the ugliest
Part of your body city?
What's the ugliest
Part of your body city?

Some say your nose Southwest
Some say your toes Northeast
But I think it's
Your mind
(your mind)
I think it's your mind.

...with respect to Frank Zappa

Mackinaw

Post Number: 3828
Posted on Saturday, October 20, 2007 - 10:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ladyinabag, you could say a lot of things about the mayor. You could say a lot of bad things that are probably factual. But unless you know him, how the hell do you know if he "cares about the city?"

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1654
Posted on Saturday, October 20, 2007 - 10:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

if he cared he wouldn't do the things he does

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 3202
Posted on Saturday, October 20, 2007 - 11:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The worst part of Detroit is located at Two Woodward Ave.

Most of the crime in the city happens there.

Ladyinabag
Username: Ladyinabag

Post Number: 328
Posted on Saturday, October 20, 2007 - 2:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mackinaw-

Are you blind? All you have to do is drive around the city to see how much he cares about it.

Lowell-

"He was a playboy type. He smoked a pipe. His favorite phrase was ""Out of sight"". He had an Irish Setter..."

(Message edited by Ladyinabag on October 20, 2007)

Jjw
Username: Jjw

Post Number: 480
Posted on Saturday, October 20, 2007 - 2:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

nothing like a little negativity to add fuel to the fire. This is a no-win topic.

Abracadabra
Username: Abracadabra

Post Number: 165
Posted on Saturday, October 20, 2007 - 2:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The projects at Third and MLK is the scariest place I have ever been. Nothing actually happened to me there, however.

That being said, crime moves around with the criminal. Around here, they are pretty mobile.