Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Friendly Giant book giveaway « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ed_golick
Username: Ed_golick

Post Number: 851
Posted on Sunday, November 04, 2007 - 6:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

***SHAMELESS PLUG***
Go to www.detroitkidshow.com and enter the big Friendly Giant book giveaway.

The Friendly Giant was seen daily on CKLW-TV9 from 1955 to 1985. In the early 1960s Friendly also aired on Detroit's Channel 56, back when they were part of the National Educational Television network.

Anybody have any Friendly Giant memories?

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 916
Posted on Sunday, November 04, 2007 - 6:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Woot Ed! You Rock, baby!

Tammypio
Username: Tammypio

Post Number: 161
Posted on Sunday, November 04, 2007 - 6:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OMG...I'm so excited!! My entry is going to be in Rusty's sack! How cool is this?
I have so many fond memories of The Friendly Giant and would love to have a copy of this book.
As a teacher of young children, I am so disappointed to know that there are very few simple, quality shows out there for them to watch. I watched a LOT of television as a child and don't feel that it took away from learning at all. However, the shows and video games that children are exposed to today.....for the most part that is....are rather useless and leave little room for imaginations to be used at all.

We need more shows like The Friendly Giant, Mr. Dressup and Mister Rogers Neighborhood!

Jenniferl
Username: Jenniferl

Post Number: 407
Posted on Sunday, November 04, 2007 - 8:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh yes, I remember the Friendly Giant! "Look up! Look waaaaay up..."

And I agree with Tammy-- we need more kid shows like the Friendly Giant, Mr. Dressup, and Mister Rogers Neighborhood. Only Mister Rogers is still on TV. My nieces (ages 9 and 5) were lucky enough to watch Mr. Dressup before CBC stopped showing it. But neither one got to see the Friendly Giant, although my older niece in particular would have loved it because when she was little her favorite animals were giraffes.

Jazzstage
Username: Jazzstage

Post Number: 158
Posted on Sunday, November 04, 2007 - 8:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tammypio,

The Friendly Giant used to creep me out as a kid. I think if you sat down and watched Casey, Finnegan, Rusty and even (dare I suggest it?) Mr. Rogers you would find it wasn't really all that educational. The programming on Noggin, Leap Frog videos and the like use the brain research and learning research of the last 3o years.

Ragtoplover59
Username: Ragtoplover59

Post Number: 148
Posted on Sunday, November 04, 2007 - 8:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love it, I come to DetYes to find all the best books, This one is on the way now too!

A few months back someone mentioned Eight Steamboats and I just had to get it. It was great.

Now if only Oopsie had done a book, I always think of him this time of year because of his coverage of the Thanksgiving Parade Floats being built.

Thanks Ed!

Ragtoplover59

Post Number: 149
Posted on Sunday, November 04, 2007 - 9:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I recall all the shows mentioned above, But one that is still in my mind and yet I can't remember any details about it except that I pronounced it as "Shay Elaine", everything else about it has escaped me, Anyone else remember this one?

Kimistree
Username: Kimistree

Post Number: 102
Posted on Sunday, November 04, 2007 - 9:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We were given an upright grand piano and in the piano bench was a recorder. My kids were asking me about it and the only person I could think of who played one was The Friendly Giant. I looked for it on Youtube..here is what I found:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=lNE 3Gz_Fw5U
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Y6- reZbzJKg

Ed_golick

Post Number: 852
Posted on Sunday, November 04, 2007 - 9:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ragtoplover59,
Bob "Oopsy" McNea was working on a book before he passed away. His daughter is going to have it published. I'll keep you posted.

(Message edited by ed golick on November 04, 2007)

Ed_golick

Post Number: 853
Posted on Sunday, November 04, 2007 - 9:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ragtoplover59,

I don't normally link to Wikipedia, but there's not a lot out there on Chez Helene.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C hez_H%C3%A9l%C3%A8ne

Ragtoplover59

Post Number: 151
Posted on Sunday, November 04, 2007 - 9:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fantastic Ed, Thanks

Ragtoplover59

Post Number: 152
Posted on Sunday, November 04, 2007 - 9:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No wonder I had this in my mind, Thanks to your correct spelling and Google, I found another page that said
(The middle of three weekday morning shows for children in the 1960s and 1970s, Chez Hélène was broadcast between Friendly Giant and Mr. Dressup.)

Thanks Ed, Now I have more to go on! Finding a clip of this would be unbelievable but in today's world possible.
so much for a 40 year old recessed memory.

Ed_golick

Post Number: 854
Posted on Sunday, November 04, 2007 - 9:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've got one complete episode of Chez Helene. I'll see if I can dig it up and maybe post a clip or two.

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 1879
Posted on Monday, November 05, 2007 - 8:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

................here's a little seat for two

(Message edited by 56packman on November 05, 2007)

Gingellgirl
Username: Gingellgirl

Post Number: 75
Posted on Monday, November 05, 2007 - 11:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, Ed. You turned on the Wayback Machine and I'm four years old again. Friendly, Rusty, Jerome, Mr. Dressup, and I had almost forgotten about Chez Helene.

It's so strange to see the Friendly Giant in color. I only remember black and white.

I'm so sorry my girls never had a chance to see my favorite, Captain Kangaroo. I've collected a bunch of children's books for them that the Captain used to read to us: Mike Mulligan and His Steam Shovel, The Seven Chinese Brothers, Make Way for Ducklings, The Story of Ping, and much, much more.

I had the thrill of meeting Bob Keeshan on a book tour back in 1989. Oh Captain! My Captain!

The_ed
Username: The_ed

Post Number: 650
Posted on Monday, November 05, 2007 - 11:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My favorite Capt. Kangaroo story was Stone Soup...

Jrvass
Username: Jrvass

Post Number: 294
Posted on Monday, November 05, 2007 - 5:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember Stone Soup.

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 51
Posted on Tuesday, November 06, 2007 - 3:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

MIKE MULLIGAN, that is my fave kids book, i read it to a group of 2nd graders they were bored, if i could only move furniture like that friendly giant i,d be in business.

Dtctygrl
Username: Dtctygrl

Post Number: 21
Posted on Tuesday, November 06, 2007 - 9:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I absolutely loved the Friendly Giant! Traveling to the castle, waiting for the draw bridge to lower, and "taking my place" in the rocker by the fireplace! Magic! Chez Helene, Mister Dress-Up, Romper Room, Captain Kangaroo and the Friendly Giant. Great childhood memories! My kids weren't as fortunate to have great shows that encouraged imagination and wonder.

Xd_brklyn
Username: Xd_brklyn

Post Number: 336
Posted on Tuesday, November 06, 2007 - 10:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The opening scene and closing credits of the Friendly Giant were the best. As a kid it was exciting to see drawbridge open, the camera move in, and then to be placed in a room with a fireplace and chairs. Then we would have the TV on in background and wait for the closing scene with the smiling moon and the cow jumping over it.

Thanks for the YouTube links--good stuff.

The_ed

Post Number: 691
Posted on Tuesday, November 06, 2007 - 11:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Remember Homer Price?

Jrvass

Post Number: 298
Posted on Tuesday, November 06, 2007 - 5:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The book looks familiar but I can't recall the story.

Jrvass

Post Number: 299
Posted on Tuesday, November 06, 2007 - 6:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

More Friendly Giant from CBC.ca

http://tinyurl.com/2dfl9t

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 3716
Posted on Tuesday, November 06, 2007 - 6:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Homer Price and his donut-making machine!

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 627
Posted on Tuesday, November 06, 2007 - 8:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =5KV6Q88PXs0&NR=1
don't forget mr dressup
OR BOZO
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =L2Q6qbYsDiQ&NR=1

Eriedearie
Username: Eriedearie

Post Number: 23
Posted on Tuesday, November 06, 2007 - 10:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh this is so cool - I remember all of the characters! Thanks Ed

Raptor56
Username: Raptor56

Post Number: 161
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 10:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Growing up in the 80's I couldn't get enough of Mr Dressup, Mr Rogers, the Friendly Giant, Sesame Street (pbs and cbc), and some show called The Polka Dot Door.

Ookpik
Username: Ookpik

Post Number: 346
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 11:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mr. Rogers along with the Glancy Trains Collection at the Detroit Historical Museum were a direct influence on me being interested in toy trains as a kid. The book Henry (Huggins) and the Clubhouse by Beverly Cleary inspired me to build an actual clubhouse in the backyard of the home I grew up in. The clubhouse was built with with the assistance of my parents and grandparents and stood for many years after I had outgrown it. I still have my childhood copies of Make Way For Ducklings and Mike Mulligan and the Steam Shovel.

Ookpik

The_ed

Post Number: 730
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 11:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Remember Sky King (and his niece Penny) ?
Circus Boy with Wallace Beery and Micky Dolenz (from the Monkees) ?
Supercar ?
Eigth Man ?
Kimba the White Lion ?

Catman_dude
Username: Catman_dude

Post Number: 257
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 11:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Astro Boy
Speed Racer

One thing about Friendly Giant, when I was taking care of my mother in her last months on earth, on occasion I would hum the Friendly Giant theme song while wheeling her to her bed. She remembered too and would hum it with me. I miss her very much.

The_ed

Post Number: 735
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 11:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Once upon a time, not long ago and not far away...".

Oliverdouglas
Username: Oliverdouglas

Post Number: 157
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 11:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I always thought that Kimba was a lamb. Couldn't understand what the white lion was all about.

1st_sgt
Username: 1st_sgt

Post Number: 118
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 12:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sky King, Roy Rogers, Rin Tin Tin, Fireball XL5, Clutch Cargo and Felix the Cat.

Take me back, way back, to a land not long ago.

Ragtoplover59

Post Number: 153
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 5:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The_ed, I have one on your list lol

I wonder, Did the Friendly Giant ever have a lunch box?

Ed_golick

Post Number: 856
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 5:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ragtoplover59,
The only Friendly Giant paraphenalia that I'm aware of is a series of children's books and a couple of record albums.

The Supercar lunchbox is pretty cool. Here's a pic of my coolest collectible; the original White Fang puppet used on Lunch With Soupy Sales.

puppet

Jrvass

Post Number: 304
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 6:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Clutch Cargo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =pFnLirXjjto

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =11F3RRcPbFg

Found later on another mess-board...

CLUTCH CARGO was produced by Cambria... the same company that did THE NEW 3 STOOGES (1965).

The voice (and "lips") of Clutch Cargo's girlfriend was Margaret Kerry, then-wife of Cambria president Dick Brown. Ms. Kerry was the actress in the NEW 3 STOOGES live-action segments (e.g., Sunbathers, Decorators, Electricians, Barbers, Waiters), and she did the voiceovers for the female, juvenile and other misc characters in the animated segments... she's in approx. 2/3 of the 156 Stooges cartoons.

Another BTW... Margaret's son and daughter appeared in the live-actions too. In "Sunbathers," that's her real-life daughter. Her son is the blonde-headed boy in "Salesmen," and both kids appeared in the children-crowd scenes of "Melodrama," "Sharpshooter" and "Magicians." (Along with Moe's grandchildren Jeff and Michael.)

CLUTCH CARGO's supporting voice cast included Hal Smith, aka ANDY GRIFFITH's "Otis Campbell." In addition to playing King Thesus in THE THREE STOOGES MEET HERCULES, Smith did voices for approx. 3/4 of THE NEW THREE STOOGES' 156 toons (Tim Bear, Get-Out-of-Town-by-Sundown Brown, etc.)

(Message edited by jrvass on November 07, 2007)

Ed_golick

Post Number: 858
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 6:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Used to watch Clutch Cargo every morning on WXYZ, along with FunNews and Johnny Ginger.

Jrvass

Post Number: 306
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 7:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was at my Brother's cottage on Burt Lake last summer for a night, and he said check out this TV 9&10 sportscaster..."reminds me of Clutch Cargo".

I'm like "What?"

"His lips move but his face doesn't."

So when I got home I googled Clutch Cargo and found a few youtube links ...sure as shit... he did.

My Brother is 53, 8 years older.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 3733
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 7:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Creepy cartoon with human mouths!

I can't recall what other cartoons used that lipsynch technique. Any memories?

Dbc
Username: Dbc

Post Number: 86
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 11:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This thread brings back great memories of watching The Friendly Giant and Mr. Dressup on Channel 9.

Thanks Ed.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 10863
Posted on Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 1:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Which was it that Sir Graves Ghastly did with the inverted mouth on one of his pseudo-cartoon characters?! I think it was upside down, I remember my father telling me why I was so disturbed by the freakiness of it!

The_ed

Post Number: 761
Posted on Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 10:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sir Graves had a face drawn on his chin and he would lip-synch a silly song. It was kinda freaky.

The_ed

Post Number: 762
Posted on Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 11:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ed_golick
"collectible; the original White Fang puppet
used on Lunch With Soupy Sales. "

I remember watching Lunch with Soupy Sales.
"Soup and sandwich, soup and sandwich..."
That song is scarred on my memory banks.
I also remember a contest or something
where Soupy Sales had a tricycle inside some Jello...a lot of JELLO.

Ragtoplover59

Post Number: 165
Posted on Saturday, November 17, 2007 - 9:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ed_golick,
I finished Look Up-Way Up and enjoyed it.

I was wondering if the show Tales of the Riverbank that was mentioned on page 138 was aired in Detroit also? I have a faint memory of such a show but am not sure.

I remember some kind of show where small animals were interacting with human things, such as getting into a rowboat and then the boat moving while the narrator was telling the story ?

I was also wondering how you became aware of this book so as to have your spot on page 144.
I know the website ask for such remembrance for future use in books, so I guess I'm asking if this was not the first book?

and finally, as if thats not enough already lol
I am still looking forward to seeing a clip or two of Chez Helene :~)

Ed_golick

Post Number: 864
Posted on Saturday, November 17, 2007 - 1:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ragtoplover59,
Tales Of the Riverbank aired on CKLW. It was part of the Hercules show, then aired on its own after Herc was cancelled.

The Friendly Giant book is in its first printing. I found out about it on the web.

Won't be able to look for Chez Helene until Thanksgiving weekend. I haven't forgotten.

Ed_golick

Post Number: 866
Posted on Wednesday, November 21, 2007 - 3:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ragtoplover59,
Here's a one minute clip from Chez Helene, part of a documentary about the 50th anniversary of the CBC. I've got a complete show in the archives. If you are interested in a DVD of it, send me an email and I'll make you a copy when I locate it.
www.detroitkidshow.com/helene. wmv

Ed_golick

Post Number: 879
Posted on Saturday, December 01, 2007 - 8:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Only one week left to enter my big Friendly Giant book giveaway. It's not a trivia quiz; you just have to shoot me an email. Find out about it at www.detroitkidshow.com.

Ragtoplover59

Post Number: 166
Posted on Saturday, December 01, 2007 - 11:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's a great clip Ed_golick, Thanks for the wonderful look back into our childhoods!

Erikto
Username: Erikto

Post Number: 629
Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 12:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Apparently, some jokers used the Friendly Giant puppets in some lewd joke video or comedy sketch, and some members of the Friendly Giant's family freaked out and repossessed the puppets.

Ed_golick

Post Number: 881
Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 8:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The puppets were used in a sketch for Canada's 2007 Gemini Awards. Here's the lowdown.
http://www.thestar.com/enterta inment/article/280513

Miketeevee
Username: Miketeevee

Post Number: 28
Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 12:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's the link to the You Tube video of the Gemini Awards sketch. It's pretty funny.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =AL-bLZzihbw

Catman_dude
Username: Catman_dude

Post Number: 261
Posted on Sunday, December 09, 2007 - 4:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, I didn't win a free Friendly Giant book but I've bought the book anyway....$2 discount.
Thanks, Ed!

Ed_golick

Post Number: 884
Posted on Sunday, December 09, 2007 - 4:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, _dude!

Jrvass

Post Number: 354
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 3:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ed,

I want to buy 3-4 books. Can you help with the signing/shipping fees?

James

jr vass @ Comcast (dot) net

Ed_golick

Post Number: 885
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 12:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jrvass,
2 bucks off each book is the best I can do. Here's the link for the discount.
http://detroitkidshow.com/frie ndly_giant.htm

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.