Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » 'Detroit is a city of bars' » Archive through November 06, 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Realitycheck
Username: Realitycheck

Post Number: 492
Posted on Saturday, November 03, 2007 - 5:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's how trusty Detroitblogger John opens his latest word painting, which went up today at detroitblog.

The three images and most of the sentences focus on Stefan’s Bar (Springwells near Dix), but it's really a tribute to . . .
quote:

little dive bars whose customers live in the surrounding blocks and are a reflection of a neighborhood’s composition and character.

Click through now to hear the voices of "a classic blue-collar, rough-edged, family-owned bar, with simple drinks and simpler décor, frequented by everyday folks from the area."

Jazzstage
Username: Jazzstage

Post Number: 156
Posted on Saturday, November 03, 2007 - 6:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love his blog. The writing and photos are top notch. More proof that membership here has it's privileges.

Karl_jr
Username: Karl_jr

Post Number: 149
Posted on Sunday, November 04, 2007 - 8:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit USED to be a city of bars. On Horatio street between Scotten and Wesson there probably were about 6-8. The corner bars used to be literally on every corner! I really would like to know how many bars/taverns that there were in Detroit in the 30's - 60's time frame. In the late 60's early 70's all the bars turned into churches!

Realitycheck
Username: Realitycheck

Post Number: 493
Posted on Sunday, November 04, 2007 - 9:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

all the bars turned into churches!

Barstool / pew . . . each can be a place for reflection, refreshment, camaraderie.
quote:

Give beer to those who are perishing, wine to those who are in anguish; let them drink and forget their poverty and remember their mysery no more.
-- Proverbs 31: 6/7

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 3041
Posted on Sunday, November 04, 2007 - 11:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hey, I like that Proverb ~ 31:4-9

4 "It is not for kings, O Lemuel—
not for kings to drink wine,
not for rulers to crave beer,

5 lest they drink and forget what the law decrees,
and deprive all the oppressed of their rights.

6 Give beer to those who are perishing,
wine to those who are in anguish;

7 let them drink and forget their poverty
and remember their misery no more.

8 "Speak up for those who cannot speak for themselves,
for the rights of all who are destitute.

9 Speak up and judge fairly;
defend the rights of the poor and needy."

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 5648
Posted on Sunday, November 04, 2007 - 1:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Since liquor licenses are worth a lot of money, and since they cannot be transfered outside of Detroit, many bars have migrated towards the city limits.

Those folks living on the far east side know what I mean. Just look at the stretch of Harper Ave. between Cadieux Rd eastward. Lots of bars in those 7 blocks.

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1593
Posted on Sunday, November 04, 2007 - 1:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I heard liq. licenses can now be transferred across Wayne County. Is that so?

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 598
Posted on Monday, November 05, 2007 - 9:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

bars on windows?

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 6330
Posted on Monday, November 05, 2007 - 10:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought Milwaukee had the most bars per capita.

Or at least that's what I was told upon my last visit there where I saw a corner bar kiddie corner from an elementary school. They seemed to have neighborhood watering holes everywhere.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 4542
Posted on Monday, November 05, 2007 - 11:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My alcoholic grandfather lived in a residential neighborhood of Dearborn and had a choice of at least four neighborhood bars within 1 1/2 blocks of home. Could have been more of them back then. All gone now.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 6335
Posted on Monday, November 05, 2007 - 11:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Talk about convenience. Geez.

Elimarr
Username: Elimarr

Post Number: 26
Posted on Monday, November 05, 2007 - 11:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I want to inquire about the above mentioned homicide at the HUB bar (when it took place?) but I don't want to encourage more usage of the n-bomb. Can some one fill me in? At one time I lived only a few blocks away from that bar.

Ordinary
Username: Ordinary

Post Number: 259
Posted on Monday, November 05, 2007 - 12:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gistok,
I've often commented that if you started walking at Neff and Harper and tried to have a shot and a beer at every bar from there to Whittier, you would probably be crawling or sleeping on the sidewalk by the time you got to Yorkshire.

Diehard
Username: Diehard

Post Number: 185
Posted on Monday, November 05, 2007 - 12:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Let's see if I can mentally make that trip along Harper:

Elam's (dive) to...
Cal's (softball players) to...
Guilford (dive) to...
Nikki's (cops and shift-workers bar that would be a dive if they hadn't remodeled all trendy-like), to...
the one next to Geneva's that I can't think of the name of (dive), to...
First Place (cops and firefighters), to...
Firewater (firefighters, the only one on that stretch with an almost all-black clientele) to...
the almighty I-Rock (mullets and metal!
Yeah, you'd be pretty wasted by then.
Did I miss any?

Ordinary
Username: Ordinary

Post Number: 260
Posted on Monday, November 05, 2007 - 1:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DieHard, You did good lad! There was another one across from Cal's that's closed now. When I was a kid it was called the Postage Stamp, at one point it was called Keg-a-Brew.

Here are some mental recollections.

Elam's, formerly Riddles, formerly Green Oaks

Keg-a Brew, formerly Postage Stamp I missed one or two names in there.

Cal's, formerly Pappy's (met the wife there), formerly Vogue Lounge, missed a few names there.

Guilford, always the Guilford. Used to have the archery range next door.

Nikki's, formerly the Ebb-Tide.

One next to Geneva's was Pace Lounge and formerly the Outpost Bar. Missed a name or two there.

First Place, formerly Forbidden Fruit.

Firewater, formerly Jack's Detour, formerly ???

I-Rock, formerly Trump's, formerly Oliver's.

Gistok, help out an old drunk here.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 5658
Posted on Monday, November 05, 2007 - 3:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, I too am surprised that "Cyber-Hick" still has his post showing.

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 340
Posted on Monday, November 05, 2007 - 6:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Huh? Why do you keep asking this? No, you're not the only one who noticed it or is offended by it. Read the five posts above yours.