Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Worst Parts of Detroit? » Archive through October 22, 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Hpgrmln
Username: Hpgrmln

Post Number: 229
Posted on Saturday, October 20, 2007 - 2:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe 10 years ago,parts of the N/E side had the highest number of priority calls in the nation.Of course, that may have changed over time.
Pollution-southwest. All that filth in the air.
The area anywhere around Warren and Chene is the worst in terms of overall abandonment. Streets like Dubois.Most of the few remaining structures are vacant.
I think that covers all the bases.

Fishtoes2000
Username: Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 336
Posted on Saturday, October 20, 2007 - 3:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When is Preservation Wayne going to have a Worst Parts of Detroit Tour? It sounds like there's plenty of interest. ;)

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 1474
Posted on Saturday, October 20, 2007 - 4:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The worst part of Detroit is how its own citizens throw their trash out onto the street, pissing (figuratively and literally) all over the place and spitting out gobs of disgusting mucus with the same mouth they use to whine & bitch about how fucked up the city is.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 306
Posted on Saturday, October 20, 2007 - 4:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"The worst part of Detroit is how its own citizens throw their trash out onto the street, pissing (figuratively and literally) all over the place and spitting out gobs of disgusting mucus with the same mouth they use to whine & bitch about how fucked up the city is."

Good way to stereotype and single out 900,000 people (5 Million regionally) Ravine (including me and several of our DYers).

(Message edited by Detroitrise on October 20, 2007)

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 3833
Posted on Saturday, October 20, 2007 - 5:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WTF Baglady, how does it look any different than when Archer was mayor? If how the city looked was indicative of how much a mayor "cared," Archer clearly cared much less than Kilpatrick does.

and WTF Ravine-- most of the pissing is done by drunk Lions fans from the suburbs.

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 1476
Posted on Saturday, October 20, 2007 - 5:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I did not, and do not, stereotype anyone. The statement, as I wrote it, is true.
If you need me to throw an unnecessary "some" into a sentence that is already long enough in order for you to not take it personally, forget it. I'm about fucking tired of kid-gloving the fragile, onionskin-thin civic sensitivities of SOME of my fellow Detroiters in this forum.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 307
Posted on Saturday, October 20, 2007 - 5:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL Mackinaw. Let's not forget the Drunken Red Wing Fans from the Suburbs too.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 3834
Posted on Saturday, October 20, 2007 - 5:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cmon Ravine, think it through. You're accusing Detroit residents of pissing on their own city. You just use some qualifying statement, like "some" residents to make yourself sound a little more reasonable.

Outside of a homeless person here and there, I don't see Detroiters pissing on the street. We have indoor plumbing.

Ladyinabag
Username: Ladyinabag

Post Number: 329
Posted on Saturday, October 20, 2007 - 5:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mackinaw-

Being "in a bag" is a beatnik phrase from the 50's meaning in their, or,my own, persona. It could also be defined as "esoteric" beingness.

Drifterlee
Username: Drifterlee

Post Number: 8
Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2007 - 12:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I grew up in Detroit, and the worst part of the city - and many other US cities - is the total lack of regard for the old and historic buildings. My husband and I went down to Brush Park to take some pictures of the old Victorian houses (some are being restored which is great) and I was stunned at the buildings that have been left to literally rot and collapse. Worse yet is the "Tear everything down and build ugly new buildings" attitude that started with "Urban Renewal" and obviously continues to this day in some cities. I was shocked at the amount of vacant land where buildings and homes were torn down. On the way home I told my husband I felt sad because I couldn't go home. "What do you mean?" he asked. I told him I felt bad that I could not go to my old home where I grew up because of the drug traffic and crime in the area, and that I could not visit my Great Aunt Carrie in her old farm house on Conant where Joseph Campau Vs in south of Six mile. My Aunt is long dead and as soon as she died the people who bought it tore her house down and made a lovely parking lot. So sad.

Detroit313
Username: Detroit313

Post Number: 512
Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2007 - 1:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

is this a joke?........

I can name some of the best parts of the city.....

<313>

Granmontrules
Username: Granmontrules

Post Number: 220
Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2007 - 1:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Your mama's mattress after a good night in Livonia.

Drifterlee

Post Number: 10
Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2007 - 1:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not joking. You folks are maybe too young to remember the way it was years ago.

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 2908
Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2007 - 7:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

You folks are maybe too young to remember the way it was years ago

That's a good thing, younger people can focus on improving the city and moving it forward instead of being stuck in nostalgia. Go visit the new riverfront for an example of something in Detroit that is better than it used to be.

Jjw
Username: Jjw

Post Number: 486
Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2007 - 7:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, I can't cry over spilled milk. What is done is done. However, I am not quite sure the "new riverwalk" is an example of something that is better than it used to be. There were a lot of buildings with character along that stretch that I keep on thinking would add a lot of character than the new structures and parking lots. I sure wish they would have kept some of them in the process of creating a walkway along the river. I agree with Drifterlee that some of those older structures would have truely added to the "historic" riverfront. I don't think age has anything to do with that perspective.

Pam

Post Number: 2909
Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2007 - 8:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

There were a lot of buildings with character along that stretch that I keep on thinking would add a lot of character than the new structures and parking lots. I sure wish they would have kept some of them in the process of creating a walkway along the river.

Well sure, I am for saving historic buildings. What I meant was the idea of having a public walkway along the river is a good one and something that Detroit did not have before.

quote:

I agree with Drifterlee that some of those older structures would have truely added to the "historic" riverfront

She was talking about Brush Park, not the riverfront.

Jjw
Username: Jjw

Post Number: 487
Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2007 - 9:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes she was so why did you ask her to see the riverfront? I was reacting to your comment, not hers. She used Brush Park as an example of a bigger picture: the fact that many historic structures have been torn down. I sure wish people read carefully before jumping to a conclusion.

Beavis1981
Username: Beavis1981

Post Number: 614
Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2007 - 9:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You really have to further define "worst". Some of the "worst" looking areas are actually pretty safe due to the fact there is nobody around.

I vote for the slice bordered by john r, I-75 davison, and M-102. When you can't even buy a rose and a biscuit because you must be a cop if your on foot and white in that particular neighborhood.

Vas
Username: Vas

Post Number: 835
Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2007 - 10:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lowell rules.

Erikd
Username: Erikd

Post Number: 916
Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2007 - 11:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

The worst part of Detroit is how its own citizens throw their trash out onto the street, pissing (figuratively and literally) all over the place and spitting out gobs of disgusting mucus with the same mouth they use to whine & bitch about how fucked up the city is.

I think the worst part of Detroit is the people who blame city residents for all of the problems and act like suburbanites are just a bunch of innocent little angels.

To be sure, there are some city residents that just piss on the city, but I wouldn't underestimate the impact of suburbanites fucking up the city.

The vast majority of the graffiti in my neighborhood is done by young white kids from the suburbs.

I have never seen a Detroit resident destroying the landscaping or tearing up flowers in my neighborhood, but I have witnessed drunk suburbanites doing it on a number of occasions.

City residents may be guilty of littering, but I find many of the suburban visitors to be far worse.

Suburbanites are responsible for much of, if not most of, the illegal dumping in the city.
-------------------

There is one thing that all of these jackasses have in common. They try to place the blame on city residents in a weak attempt to excuse or justify their own destructive behavior by spewing the same ignorant blanket statements found in your post.

Pam

Post Number: 2910
Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2007 - 12:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Yes she was so why did you ask her to see the riverfront? I was reacting to your comment, not hers. She used Brush Park as an example of a bigger picture: the fact that many historic structures have been torn down. I sure wish people read carefully before jumping to a conclusion

I can read fine. I was responding to her comment that people here were too young to "remember how it was years ago." (Which I quoted in my post.) I was using the riverfront as an example of something that was new and good that was not here years ago, i.e. a reason to look ahead.

Drifterlee

Post Number: 11
Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2007 - 1:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am just really big on history and love old buildings. Most cities and even smaller towns tore down old buildings when Urban Renewal was all the rage. I guess I just can't understand why the city or owners of some of those gorgeous Brush Park homes let them literally collapse.

Dustin89
Username: Dustin89

Post Number: 140
Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2007 - 2:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lowell-I love the Frank Zappa reference. This is completely off topic, but I'm a record collector, and I once nabbed a pristine vinyl copy of "We're Only In It For the Money,", with a perfect insert, on the blue Verve label, for $18. I thought that was a pretty good catch.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 5571
Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2007 - 2:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Even though you think Detroit has gone down, Ann Arbor is NOT a suburb.

jjaba, Westsider.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 3841
Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2007 - 5:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Drifterlee, we are cut from the same cloth. I totally agree, but the sad thing is we can hardly do anything to remedy the situation, other than preserve what we have, and build new structures which, while not having to look like what used to be there, use the land (i.e. in terms scale and placement of the building) at least as well as the lost building did. For instance, a building of a similar stature to the former Madison-Lenox ought to be built on its former site. Instead, we have a parking lot and a lost jewel.

As Pam points out, with the East Riverfront we have a case where we can create something much nicer than what was originally there, primarily because we need to create structures that use that neighborhood correctly (for residences/retail). The point can still be made, though, that appropriate historic buildings ought to be preserved. The River Place development, Iron Street Lofts, and upcoming Globe Trading Co. development are all great examples of this.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 6706
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 6:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All parts in Detroit are worse. It's a ghetto.

Mallory
Username: Mallory

Post Number: 206
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 8:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My ex-wife, though I think she finally moved.

Aw heck, I miss my ex-wfe, but my aim is improving!

<sorry,>

The_ed
Username: The_ed

Post Number: 252
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 8:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The worse things about Detroit are the streets and the lighting. It seems that the road commission has been working to improve the roads but not in a LOT of the neighborhoods. The streetlights are not always on at night. It takes time to improve anything if it's done right. Every major city has it's blight, prostitution, litter, gangs and crime.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 1942
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 9:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, I can't cry over spilled milk. What is done is done. However, I am not quite sure the "new riverwalk" is an example of something that is better than it used to be. There were a lot of buildings with character along that stretch that I keep on thinking would add a lot of character than the new structures and parking lots.

Weren't the majority of those razed because they were contaminated?

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 647
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 9:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Southwest inner city Ghetto Zone or East Davison