Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Uniroyal site « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Dinnc
Username: Dinnc

Post Number: 22
Posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2007 - 8:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can anyone give me an update on the clean-up of the Uniroyal site? Has there been a decision on who is doing the clean-up and how much its going to cost? Just curious.

Pgn421
Username: Pgn421

Post Number: 197
Posted on Thursday, November 15, 2007 - 1:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lots of probably Bobby Ferguson, Kwamis friend.

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1630
Posted on Thursday, November 15, 2007 - 1:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, which should be a bonus. You can never find a contractor when you really need him. The fact that Ferguson is in jail most of the time will help.

FERGUSON CONTRACTING
The first pistol-whipping is free

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 2201
Posted on Thursday, November 15, 2007 - 1:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

>The first pistol-whipping is free

LOL.

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1632
Posted on Thursday, November 15, 2007 - 4:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the laugh, I<3. ;)

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 1252
Posted on Thursday, November 15, 2007 - 5:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Shouldnt BF Goodrich clean it up?

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1633
Posted on Thursday, November 15, 2007 - 5:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did Goodrich buy Uniroyal? Anyway, before Uniroyal, it was U.S. Rubber. Before U.S. Rubber, it was a bicycle tire factory. Who gets dibs on the cleanup?

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 1901
Posted on Thursday, November 15, 2007 - 6:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

and it was a stove factory before that.

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 384
Posted on Thursday, November 15, 2007 - 6:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What is Uniroyal's connection to Detroit/SE Michigan? Just that they had a plant here that closed?

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 688
Posted on Thursday, November 15, 2007 - 6:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^^I can't believe someone asked that. I thought that big tire out on I-94 made a big statement for the region and Uniroyal.

Anyway, whoever owned the land lasted gets to clean it up. If it was Uniroyal, then Uniroyal cleans it. The city will just have to step up and force them to clean it.

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 385
Posted on Thursday, November 15, 2007 - 7:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, if you know so much about it, how about answering the question? What "statement" does the tire make? Should I revise my question to read "What is Uniroyal's connection to Detroit/SE Michigan? Just that they had a plant here that closed and that they plopped a big tire along I-94?"

Detroitrise

Post Number: 694
Posted on Thursday, November 15, 2007 - 7:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They had strong ties with the Big 3, (and still technically do).

Hamtragedy
Username: Hamtragedy

Post Number: 11
Posted on Thursday, November 15, 2007 - 10:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought it was a superfund site. Uniroyal was the first word I learned to spell. Drove by that plant every day, and it was dark under the conveyers, even when it was sunny.

Durango
Username: Durango

Post Number: 35
Posted on Thursday, November 15, 2007 - 10:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Uniroyal Tire on I-94 was actually a functioning Uniroyal sponsored ferris wheel from the 1964 World's Fair held in New York. Please see the attached link.

http://www.uniroyal.com/about/ gianttire.html

Hornwrecker
Username: Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1931
Posted on Thursday, November 15, 2007 - 11:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

What is Uniroyal's connection to Detroit/SE Michigan? Just that they had a plant here that closed?

If one had sufficient motivation, one could use the search function of this site for "uniroyal", selecting the "look in: the subject lines", and quite possibly find a few threads discussing the history of this site.

But, alas, as I suspect, not many possess that.

(Edited for poor grammar, by some self-correcting grammar nazi.)

(Message edited by Hornwrecker on November 15, 2007)

Detroitrise

Post Number: 703
Posted on Thursday, November 15, 2007 - 11:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL Hornwrecker.

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1634
Posted on Friday, November 16, 2007 - 10:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gosh, doesn't seem fair or development-minded to saddle the last owner of a property with the cleanup costs. I wonder how they accomplish these sorts of cleanups elsewhere...

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 2761
Posted on Friday, November 16, 2007 - 11:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Anyway, whoever owned the land lasted gets to clean it up. If it was Uniroyal, then Uniroyal cleans it. The city will just have to step up and force them to clean it."

Not quite...first, a major factor in who ends up paying is often whether the prior contamination could have been discovered by the subsequent party after a reasonable inspection...

That aside, most statutes allow for Joint and several liability in such situations, which means that the Plaintiff (in this case, the MDEQ) can sue anyone who was responsible for any part of the contamination for the whole amount, and in turn the party they choose to sue can seek contribution from anyone else who was responsible to the extent those parties were responsible...and they often go after the tortfeasor with the deepest pockets

In this case, the MDEQ has identified 4 companies that it believes are responsible for $20 million in cleanup costs: DuPont, Michelin, DTE and Enodis...

However, last I read, Bettis and Betters were contesting the MDEQ's finding because they believe the cleanup cost will be much higher

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1635
Posted on Friday, November 16, 2007 - 11:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wonder how DuPont and the others are responsible. And, uh, DTE? It seems far afield for a rubber and stove site.

BTW, grampy detroitnerd worked at U.S. Rubber.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 3679
Posted on Friday, November 16, 2007 - 11:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why so rude to Bear? Used to be if someone posted a question about Detroit history on these forums, people fell over themselves to share their knowledge.

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 2762
Posted on Friday, November 16, 2007 - 11:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I wonder how DuPont and the others are responsible. And, uh, DTE? It seems far afield for a rubber and stove site. "

Not sure about DuPont, but DTE operated a natural gas plant either on the site or adjacent to it (not sure which) from the last part of the 19th century up until the 1940s

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 946
Posted on Friday, November 16, 2007 - 11:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is anyone familiar with this type of cleanup and what is involved? I'm curious as to what the bulk of the aforementioned $20M will be spent on.

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1637
Posted on Friday, November 16, 2007 - 11:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That makes sense, TJ. In fact, it lends credence to an old story that pop detroitnerd was allowed to go down into the place where the water came into the "powerhouse" and saw a bloated body had blocked the intake. Of course, he was like, 7, and totally fascinated. Ah, the good old days.

Jiminnm
Username: Jiminnm

Post Number: 1513
Posted on Friday, November 16, 2007 - 11:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

US Rubber, and likely a predecessor, operated the tire plant. They became Uniroyal, who later merged with Goodrich. In the late 1980s, Michelin acquired Uniroyal-Goodrich. MichCon's predecessor operated a coal gasification plant next to the stove co. and, later, the tire plant (starting in the 19th century). DTE acquired MichCon a few years ago. I think DuPont is the successor (some companies removed) to chemical facilities that were either on those parcels prior to the other works, or adjacent to them, or maybe even the former stove works. The parties have been in negotiations with the City on site cleanup site for at least 10 years. If the city would have gotten out of the way, the site would have already been cleaned up.

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1638
Posted on Friday, November 16, 2007 - 11:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is from the Detroit News "Rearview Mirror" piece on the stove and the tire.

A looming gray fortress of concrete and brick across from Belle Isle on the Detroit River, Uniroyal's Jefferson Avenue plant had been another local landmark for 73 years. Construction on the first buildings in the riverfront complex began in August 1905. Completed in October 1906, the plant housed the Morgan & Wright Bicycle Tire Co., once the world's largest marker of bicycle tires. Morgan & Wright had migrated from Chicago to link up with Detroit's developing auto industry. In its early years, the tire plant housed several of the annual Detroit Auto Shows. Initially the 750 people who worked there produced 350 tires daily. In 1906, company President Samuel P. Colt commented on the auto-rubber connection: "Judging from the past, the growth of the automobile tire business will be of momentous importance in the future. Ten years ago, rubber tires were not important. Now they consume one-half of the raw unprocessed rubber product."

In 1906, the complex started with 900,000 square feet of floor space; by 1929 it grew to 2.5 million square feet. By the 1980s the complex included 20 buildings on 20 acres with 3 million square feet. In 1914, U.S. Rubber Company acquired and expanded the firm which later became Uniroyal. In 1929, the company decided to concentrate its auto-related production in the city. The Detroit facility brought new efficiency to the tire-making industry in the early '30s. A new process nicknamed the "merry-go-round" introduced the efficiencies of assembly line production which substantially reduced material handling and dependence on skilled labor and training.

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1025
Posted on Friday, November 16, 2007 - 3:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Old postcard of the Morgan & Wright plant:

http://i152.photobucket.com/al bums/s164/rhymeswithrawk/Detro it%20postcards/Buildings/morga n.jpg

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1641
Posted on Friday, November 16, 2007 - 3:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's a beauty, Rhymes. Thanks for posting!

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1078
Posted on Wednesday, December 19, 2007 - 7:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Another M&W plant postcard. Note the sign: "United States tires are good tires."

http://i215.photobucket.com/al bums/cc280/buildingsofdetroit/ Postcards/morgan.jpg

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 799
Posted on Wednesday, December 19, 2007 - 9:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On cleanup sites the costs can go back and back and back to prior owners. Even lenders and current owners can be held liable. Basically anyone associated with the property.
Est. 20-25 Mil. to cleanup the toxic waste.
I wouldn't want to live around there when they start digging that crap up.

Gsgeorge
Username: Gsgeorge

Post Number: 478
Posted on Wednesday, December 19, 2007 - 11:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love that the "US Tires are Good Tires" sign faces Canada. I'm sure they REALLY appreciated that.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.