Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Wrestlemania 23 Revenue « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Barich16cmu
Username: Barich16cmu

Post Number: 10
Posted on Tuesday, November 27, 2007 - 7:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WWE sent PWTorch.com the following press release...

WWE Bolsters Detroit Economy As WrestleMania 23 Generates $29.7 Million Economic Impact

STAMFORD, Conn., November 20, 2007 – World Wrestling Entertainment's WrestleMania 23, which drew over 80,000 ecstatic fans to Detroit's Ford Field in April, generated an estimated $29.7 million in economic impact for the city according to a study by Enigma Research Corporation of Toronto. According to the report, WrestleMania also supported the equivalent of 334 full-year jobs.

The $29.7 million estimate includes direct, indirect and induced impact derived from spending by non-locals visiting specifically for WrestleMania 23 as well as operational spending related to the event. Fans from 50 states, 6 Canadian Provinces and 24 countries converged on Detroit for WrestleMania 23. Spending related to the event in Detroit also generated $4.7 million in tax revenue for federal, state and local government.

"Hosting the WWE's premiere event proved to be a tremendous boost for the City of Detroit and the region," said Tom Lewand, Detroit Lions/Ford Field EVP & COO and the Detroit Metro Convention & Visitors Bureau Chairman of the Board. "With 80,000 worldwide fans in Detroit for WrestleMania 23, the event was not only a catalyst for a positive economic impact, but also a springboard for Detroit's tourism industry."

"WWE continues to prove itself as one of the world's most exciting and powerful brands," said Geof Rochester, WWE Executive Vice President, Marketing. "We're thrilled that our live events are able to have such a positive impact on the communities we visit, in addition to providing an unmatched level of entertainment for our millions of fans. Next year's WrestleMania 24 is already creating invaluable recognition and economic stimulus for the city of Orlando."

WrestleMania 24 will take place on Sunday, March 30, 2008, at the Citrus Bowl in Orlando, Fla. A crowd of more than 60,000 fans from around the world is expected to attend the event.

Enigma Research Corporation is an international consulting firm which specializes in measuring the economic impact of special events. Enigma's economists developed a customized model which converted expenditures into economic impact, employment created, and taxes generated as a result of the event.

Kslice
Username: Kslice

Post Number: 223
Posted on Tuesday, November 27, 2007 - 9:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Count me in that crowd! I even got a free NCAA glass from the Detroit Beer Co. that day. Good to see me and my fellow wrestling fans made such a positive impact.

Rax
Username: Rax

Post Number: 9
Posted on Tuesday, November 27, 2007 - 11:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought the $300 replica Championship Belt I purchased for my son was worth every penny. It even has a spinner in the middle.

Goirish1966
Username: Goirish1966

Post Number: 36
Posted on Monday, December 10, 2007 - 12:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

my son (35) and i (59) attended wm xxiii; we had both, along with a large group, attended wm iii at the silverdome.

we got downtown at 8:00am to people watch and walk around. The folks outside gave a better show than the ride performers.

of course, my era of wrestlers are long gone: dick the bruiser, larry chene, dick garza, jin hady, bobo brazil, wilbur snyder, argentina rocca, etc

The_ed
Username: The_ed

Post Number: 1393
Posted on Monday, December 10, 2007 - 12:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My father was a wrestler back in the early to late 50's. He was a "designated loser". He
was beaten by the best. As children we never went to see him perform but saw the evidence
of his work every Monday morning after he got back in town. Sometimes he was bruised and
sometimes he was only sore, but it paid the bills. He tired of it and worked as a mechanic
and a cab driver. One time 2 or 3 guys tried to rob him. My dad came home with
teeth in his fists and we thought that was really cool.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 4090
Posted on Monday, December 10, 2007 - 12:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My era was Junkyard Dog, Hulk, Rowdy Roddy, George "The Animal" Steel, Andre the Giant, Brutus "The Barber" Beefcake...

I know it isn't at all the same thing, but I've been enjoying the reruns of "American Gladiators" on ESPNC lately.

The_ed

Post Number: 1396
Posted on Monday, December 10, 2007 - 12:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Howzabout Haystacks Calhoun, Dr. Jerry Graham, Cannonball, Ricky Steamboat, Bull Curry, Flyin' Fred Curry,
The Kangaroos, Bulldog Don Kent, Ernie Ladd, Gorilla Monsoon...the list goes on.

Goirish1966

Post Number: 37
Posted on Thursday, December 20, 2007 - 8:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The_ed:

what was his ring name?

thanks

Missmich
Username: Missmich

Post Number: 27
Posted on Thursday, December 20, 2007 - 8:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

George "The Animal" Steel was the football coach at my high school
http://www.georgetheanimalsteele.com/biography-of-george-steele.php

(Message edited by missmich on December 20, 2007)

The_ed

Post Number: 1697
Posted on Thursday, December 20, 2007 - 9:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Goirish1966: the ed "what was his ring name?"

From what I remember he went as Charles Ro-bear.
Sometimes he would wear a headdress like an Indian Chief. My dad looked like he was Native American.
He used to tear phone books in half, which was kinda easy if you break the spine of the book first....across your knee
like a piece of wood. He would also bend dimes with his teeth and open beer bottles before they were screw tops.
My dad took a Charles Atlas strong-man course in his teens.

Goirish1966

Post Number: 38
Posted on Thursday, December 20, 2007 - 12:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The_ed

did you dad or family keep any type of scrapbook of his career?

The_ed

Post Number: 1738
Posted on Thursday, December 20, 2007 - 12:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Naw, it really wasn't a career. It was a job.
He really wasn't serious about it. He just did it because it was easy money
for him and he was a big strong guy. His love was the
internal combustion engine and motorcycles.
There is a photo of him flexing his pythons. I'll try to find it and scan it in.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.