Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Fischer and Chapin Church « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ordinary
Username: Ordinary

Post Number: 263
Posted on Tuesday, November 27, 2007 - 1:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone know what the name of the church that is on the corner of Fischer and Chapin? It's pretty beat up. I drove that way trying to get around stalled Gratiot traffic. I went by there again and couldn't see any signs.

Ordinary

Post Number: 265
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 1:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I still couldn't figure out what that church name is/was. Bump?

Username: 1953

Post Number: 1502
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 1:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know the one you are talking about, but I don't have the slightest what its name is. That church is tore up big time.

Ordinary

Post Number: 266
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 1:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks 1953,
It looks like it was a real beauty in its former years. I might venture out of my steel cage one of these days and take a closer look at it.

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 6479
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 2:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Google Street View is pretty cool...

Mccarch
Username: Mccarch

Post Number: 142
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 5:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

St. Thomas Missouri Synod Lutheran (formerly)

Ordinary

Post Number: 267
Posted on Wednesday, December 19, 2007 - 11:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

AIW, Thanks for the picture.

Mccarch, Thanks for the info. Does anybody know when it was closed?

Lafontaine
Username: Lafontaine

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, December 19, 2007 - 1:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi

I am a long time lurker. I had to write about this church, though. Here is a link to the St. Thomas Lutheran Church in Eastpointe:

http://www.stl-eastpointe.org/ history.html

St. Thomas sold the church in 1968. I don't know who the new owner was or when the church was abandoned.

I was a member of St. Thomas for many years and attended school there in East Detroit. When I was 5 (I'm 51 now), I remember singing in the kindergarten choir at the Christmas program at the Fischer church. Our song was "Away in the Manger" I still remember the bright spot light shining down on us from the balcony.

Drove by the church recently. On the side of the church is a large area where a stained glass window was. It is now just a huge hole. You can see right into the church from your car. The google street view shows this view if you look south on Fischer.

Ordinary

Post Number: 268
Posted on Thursday, December 20, 2007 - 9:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Lafontaine and welcome. Lots of interesting stuff and smart people on this forum.
I never realized that the church in Eastpointe had started someplace else.

Hpgrmln
Username: Hpgrmln

Post Number: 349
Posted on Tuesday, January 29, 2008 - 7:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Someone mentioned an abandoned church to me today and it turns out to be a different one. Its at the Corner of Gratiot and Grand. Anyone have any info on that one?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.