Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » U of M's "Studying Abroad" in Dowtown Detroit « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Thegryphon
Username: Thegryphon

Post Number: 7
Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 6:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just read in the Free Press this morning about the U of M setting up a program to have students spend a semester studying, working and living in downtown Detroit. I thought it was a great idea, giving the up and coming students a chance to see the what our city is about. Youth are less likely to hold negative stereotypes about Detroit than adults, and this kind of program really could break some borders.

Irish_mafia
Username: Irish_mafia

Post Number: 1120
Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 6:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can see it now, "Dad, I'm going to study abroad in downtown Detroit"

I can appreciate that son. Back in my day, I used to study a broad or two downtown as well.

(In the tradition of the old vaudeville theatres we keep hoping to rehab).

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 2325
Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 7:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rimshots, please....

Thegryphon

Post Number: 9
Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 7:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You study abroad to experience a different culture and lifestyle. Living, working and studying in Detroit is very different than say Ann Arbor, and eye opening. There are other urban studying programs already at other universities in the US.

Dhugger
Username: Dhugger

Post Number: 270
Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 9:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are the students required to get Pass Ports & Visas for this study program?

El_jimbo
Username: El_jimbo

Post Number: 392
Posted on Friday, November 30, 2007 - 9:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dhugger,

What about shots? I hear there is a lot of STDs among Detroit's Ladyfolk.

Elsuperbob
Username: Elsuperbob

Post Number: 96
Posted on Friday, November 30, 2007 - 10:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It'll be interesting to see the turnout for this and from where the majority of those students will come from (locals, Midwesterners, Americans or foreign students).

There are many who do hold negative attitudes of Detroit in the school. They've come for the school and don't really care much for the city and region. And it's been hard to change their opinions from Ann Arbor. Then there are others who think it's a really interesting place and consider Detroit's proximity a great asset to UofM.

Then there are a few of us dreamers who want to see the architecture graduate school (we want to ditch the undergrads) in Detroit rather than out here in Ann Arbor. I'm pretty sure that'll never happen but when we heard about this a few weeks ago we kinda got a moment of inspiration.

Professorjackson
Username: Professorjackson

Post Number: 16
Posted on Friday, November 30, 2007 - 11:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's a thought: if you want to learn about a city like Detroit go to university in Detroit at U of D or Wayne and not Ann Arbor.

Craig
Username: Craig

Post Number: 532
Posted on Friday, November 30, 2007 - 12:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

PJ - are you kidding? UofM is a name that opens doors. Wayne gets a person where? Ohio?

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 5659
Posted on Friday, November 30, 2007 - 1:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just proving once again that Ann Arbor is an hr. away from Michigan and NOT a Detroit suburb.
It should surprize nobody that UM would offer this as a Study Abroad project.

jjaba, in Cass Park lurking at these urban explorers.

Nainrouge
Username: Nainrouge

Post Number: 439
Posted on Friday, November 30, 2007 - 1:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If the trend continues, Detroit will soon be a suburb of Ann Arbor...

Detroit313
Username: Detroit313

Post Number: 565
Posted on Friday, November 30, 2007 - 2:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You know, the way I see it AA is not really a suburb of Detroit, but then again it is.

If you drive to AA via I-94 then it isn't (or doesn't seem to be)

but if you drive via I-96 through Plymouth, then it is.

When I lived in Detroit and my ex attended U of M she told me a short cut that got me from New Center to AA in 25 minutes instead of 45 minutes on 94.

I could get to AA faster from NC than I could get to Pontiac.

<313>

Mayor_sekou
Username: Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 1741
Posted on Friday, November 30, 2007 - 2:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Please stop now before it starts again. I swear if I see another "Is Ann Arbor a suburb" (cue: Citylover) arguments again I am going too... well just not post in that thread. But seriously its annoying.

As for this program I suppose it could be interesting but kind of a downer. When I think of study abroad I think of crossing an ocean and funny accents not downtown Detroit.

401don
Username: 401don

Post Number: 101
Posted on Friday, November 30, 2007 - 4:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hear the Leland will be offering discounted rates. Most rooms come with pets for the lonely frosh.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 4084
Posted on Friday, November 30, 2007 - 5:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have serious problems with them calling this a "semester abroad."

UM has buildings, programs, and a few classes in the city. They like to brag about their very limited involvement in the city where the university originated. This is effectively just an opportunity for students to take all their classes in Detroit (and it will be a certain docket of classes at that)...no need to lump it in with studying abroad. That emphasizes the chasm between the two cities.

Thegryphon

Post Number: 10
Posted on Friday, November 30, 2007 - 5:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Like I said. If it gets people to experience a different culture and lifestyle it should be considered studying abroad. Oceans and country lines mean nothing. I believe it would be an authentic studying experience to study in Detroit. Elsuperbob, this program can be considered a launching pt. to more connections bwn. AA and Detroit.

Citylover
Username: Citylover

Post Number: 2766
Posted on Friday, November 30, 2007 - 5:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

313 good thing she is your ex..........it is virtually impossible to get from the new center area to a2 in 25 min. It takes 20 minutes to get to the airport from new center and that is a good 20 miles from a2

Jjaba

Post Number: 5663
Posted on Friday, November 30, 2007 - 5:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Citylover tells it like it tis. Even from the Westside, it's atleast 40 minutes to Ann Arbor.
Maybe The Rock can tell us about Football Sarturdays driving from Grosse Pointe.

jjaba.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 916
Posted on Friday, November 30, 2007 - 6:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ah Jjaba, but Grosse Pointe is Kitty Corner to I-94, so the time is about the same.

Brian_fitzcarraldo
Username: Brian_fitzcarraldo

Post Number: 12
Posted on Friday, November 30, 2007 - 6:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's not a study abroad program, and they're not using that term. U-M already has a Semester in Washington program, which is great for students who want to learn about the federal government. Semester in Detroit is the same thing, but for learning about urban issues.

Jjaba

Post Number: 5665
Posted on Friday, November 30, 2007 - 6:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitrise, jjaba doesn't know the Eastside. Sorry.

Brian_fitzcarraldo
Username: Brian_fitzcarraldo

Post Number: 13
Posted on Friday, November 30, 2007 - 6:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, I never saved much more than five minutes by taking I-96 to Ann Arbor.

Ro_resident
Username: Ro_resident

Post Number: 277
Posted on Friday, November 30, 2007 - 7:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think this will be a great program for the University.

When I went to planning school at U-M, there was a pretty good relationship with the city. I opted for a 2 semester practicum working with a neighborhood group. The annual charrette was just getting started.

As for the CAUP moving to Detroit--I think that isn't such a good idea. One thing that attracted me to U-M was the interdisciplinary aspects of the planning program (full disclosure--I was very fortunate to get funding through the College of Engineering among other programs).

Being on North Campus is isolating enough.

Carptrash
Username: Carptrash

Post Number: 1485
Posted on Friday, November 30, 2007 - 8:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had a student once whose sociology (or something) teacher assigned the students to just drive down Cass Corr at any time, day or night, and my student's parents would not allow it. This could be interesting. Or not. eeeek

Yelloweyes
Username: Yelloweyes

Post Number: 205
Posted on Friday, November 30, 2007 - 8:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As part of the study abroad program maybe they will figure out the best rout to take to A2 I-96 or I-94. For Downtown A2 I say take 96, but for the Briarwood area go with 94. Football games is a toss-up maybe, 96 so you can avoid some of the congestion.

Jjaba

Post Number: 5667
Posted on Friday, November 30, 2007 - 11:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

M-14 is the way to Ann Arbor. Long ago, that was US 14, Plymouth Road. It lays you down right at Zingerman's Delicatessen door.

Gimme the Shecky Greene cb on rye with Russian dressing and a slice of Swiss, pickle, and wash it down with Matzoball soup.
Now that's Fressen!

jjaba.

Craig

Post Number: 539
Posted on Saturday, December 01, 2007 - 12:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jjaba said "Detroitrise, jjaba doesn't know the Eastside. Sorry."

First thing that he's said that is credible -REAL westsiders don't know a damn thing about the east, and the hardcore ones don't want to know. Anyone says jj is full of gavno re: westside, you send 'em to me. Ride on, dude.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 931
Posted on Saturday, December 01, 2007 - 12:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, same for us Eastsiders about the Westsiders. You guys can keep that stinky M-14 route. Us eastsiders will be sticking to I-94.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 932
Posted on Saturday, December 01, 2007 - 12:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You westsiders are spoiled by all those expressways. All we have is I-94. we use Surface streets over here.

Tayshaun22
Username: Tayshaun22

Post Number: 382
Posted on Saturday, December 01, 2007 - 1:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Really curious about this shortcut. 96/14 is at least 38 miles from A2 to New Center. Even going 80 that's a 30 min. drive.

Craig

Post Number: 542
Posted on Saturday, December 01, 2007 - 2:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit313 - there's a growing crowd of angry villagers: detail your 20-minute route or you'll look like a fool.

I, for one, couldn't get from NC to my west side 'hood in 25 minutes. How in the hell could you get all of the way out to Washtenaw in so little time?

Locano
Username: Locano

Post Number: 7
Posted on Sunday, December 02, 2007 - 3:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lawrence Tech currently has a program for third-year architecture students to study downtown. I am actually 'technically' enrolled in it, although this semester classes weren't held downtown due to the closing of the Lodge earlier this fall. I was really disappointed in this, because I was looking forward to being downtown instead of stuck in Southfield all of the time, especially since the Lodge reopened maybe a week or two into the semester.

English
Username: English

Post Number: 614
Posted on Sunday, December 02, 2007 - 4:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hard sell for students' parents, I am thinking.

I teach in the School of Education and did a "Day in Detroit" this semester. It was a disaster. Everyone signed up but then made excuses as the day approached. The delegation ended up being five students, three GSIs and a prof.

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 423
Posted on Sunday, December 02, 2007 - 4:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

this semester classes weren't held downtown due to the closing of the Lodge earlier this fall.

Apparently the folks at Lawrence Tech are cartographically challenged.

Jjaba

Post Number: 5669
Posted on Sunday, December 02, 2007 - 8:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Craig, you are absolutely right. Apart from the Westside and some downtown stuff, jjaba has given this Forum 5,600 posts of controversy.
For now on, jjaba refers to you.

jjaba, Old timey Westsider delivering the Detroit Times on his bike.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 2099
Posted on Thursday, December 06, 2007 - 10:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

part of a FREEP OP/ED:

The mission of each university should include three main components: to educate students, to provide research in academic areas of competence, and to offer service to others.

So I was pleased to read in the Detroit Free Press that the University of Michigan is considering coursework, internships and partnering with area community groups in the city of Detroit ("U-M might tap Detroit as living classroom," Nov. 30).

The revitalization of Detroit and its neighborhoods is crucial to the success of the city and to all of Michigan. However, Detroit's urban universities, such as the University of Detroit Mercy, Marygrove College and Wayne State University, have been actively involved in such outreach for decades.

http://freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll /article?AID=/20071204/OPINION 01/712040330/1069

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1470
Posted on Thursday, December 06, 2007 - 10:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was once studying a broad in downtown Detroit, but the cops stopped me for being a pervert.

Irish_mafia
Username: Irish_mafia

Post Number: 1146
Posted on Thursday, December 06, 2007 - 8:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

full circle!

English

Post Number: 625
Posted on Monday, December 10, 2007 - 3:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"The revitalization of Detroit and its neighborhoods is crucial to the success of the city and to all of Michigan. However, Detroit's urban universities, such as the University of Detroit Mercy, Marygrove College and Wayne State University, have been actively involved in such outreach for decades."

AMEN!

A South African speaker recently said that Detroit was the University of Michigan's "guilty conscience". While I'm enjoying the Ph.D experience more than I thought I would up here, I hope that my future include teaching and doing research at an urban university. The elite schools are important, but I really miss Wayne State.

Jjaba

Post Number: 5705
Posted on Monday, December 10, 2007 - 7:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

English, after your expereince at Cass Tech., et. al, Ann Arbor must feel like a Study Aborad program, eh.

jjaba, Westsider.

Goblue
Username: Goblue

Post Number: 785
Posted on Monday, December 10, 2007 - 8:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jjaba: I am so sorry about your childhood on the Westside...it had to be a very deprived experience...if only you had been an Eastsider...just teasing...from a Denby TAR '59!

English: A2 is largely detached from reality...I have several dear friends who are university/medical school connected and living in the community...howsomever it is a great place to live and study. I hope that you truly enjoy your doc time...learn...finish your program...do a dissertation that will meet the requirements...and then...go out into the world and make a difference. Early in my career I was on faculty at the University of Alabama-Birmingham...a great urban university that is making a difference in a city that has long known the struggles. You are correct...the urban schools are closer to the cutting edge.

English

Post Number: 627
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 9:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jjaba -- I miss Cass Tech more than you know. Whenever I go to visit, I end up teary-eyed. Cass still has wonderful students and an excellent faculty.

Goblue -- thanks for the advice; I can only hope that a lot of professors in my field at urban universities decide to retire in 2010, since it's a nice round number... :-)

Jjaba

Post Number: 5711
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 1:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Goblue, sending props to Denby football teams in the 1950s. Your Italian cheerleaders were really stunning. jjaba, Cass Tech. Printer, 1959.

English, you spoke from the heart. Many of us feel the same way. We regret the failure to keep the old bldg. but jjaba has a wonderful colorized photo of it on his wall.

jjaba, Proudly Westside on the Grand River Electric Bus heading home.

D_mcc
Username: D_mcc

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 2:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think LTU's Downtown Studio is actually a very important studio, in that, those students participating in the program actually work on real projects that affect the people in the community they are working in under Professor Kim.

The problem with UM's program is they treat it like a study abroad program rather than a program where they can benefit the community through their studies.

Dhugger

Post Number: 306
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 10:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jjaba: if I make it past the Detroit border and take a field trip to Ann Arbor will you take me out to lunch at Zingerman's Delicatessen?

Sincerely,
Dhugger

Dhugger

Post Number: 307
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 10:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On a more serious note I am pleased that U of M and Lawrence Tech are reaching out to the city of Detroit. Build bridges not walls.

Jjaba

Post Number: 5713
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 10:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dhugger, jjaba goes no-host at Zingerman's. They get $13 for a Jerry Seinfeld (pastrami, swiss cheese, Russian dressing, pickles, potato salad, and a side of Kreplach.) Add Dr. Brown's Cel-ray soda and you've got a meal.

English, take no offense, but UM is NOT an elite school. It is a state uviversity open to anybody based on merit. Hopefully, you'll meet some rather provincial Uoopers while you're there.
Live in Ann Arbor too long and you'll think eating bean sproats, tofu, and carrot smoothies is universal. Be sure to return to your roots once a month.

jjaba, ordering two on one at Duly's on W. Vernor.

Jjaba

Post Number: 5714
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 10:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

English, be sure to go to the Michigan League and ask if they have a men's room yet. Last time jjaba was there, he had to go next door. In a hurry, he pissed on the Burton Tower.
jjaba.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.