Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » 'Raymond James' Building « Previous Next »
Archive through December 16, 2007Locano30 12-16-07  2:52 pm
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

401don
Username: 401don

Post Number: 159
Posted on Sunday, December 16, 2007 - 6:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Didn't they used to own the Holiday Inn Express building about 20 years ago?

Tigers2005
Username: Tigers2005

Post Number: 172
Posted on Monday, December 17, 2007 - 1:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Etta James!?!

At Last!

Billk
Username: Billk

Post Number: 185
Posted on Monday, December 17, 2007 - 3:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I walked by this building on Saturday. There was a poster in the window for a movie showing Det. 15-16. There was a pile of chairs and a couple people inside. On the Woodward side of the building is a historical marker, marking this as the site of the oldest building in Detroit, Ste. Ann's Catholic Church. Construction began on July 24, 1701, the day Antoine Cadillac landed in Detroit.

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 482
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 10:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is the Thread below somehow related?

https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/5/118969.html?1196459711

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 2157
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 1:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL, good thought Gnome. Guess only Zephyrprocess can answer that. The building at about 5,500 SF per level and 8 levels would be pretty darn close to the requirement of 40,000 SF.

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 3414
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 1:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

good catch Gnome!

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 824
Posted on Friday, December 21, 2007 - 10:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OMG I hope i'm not responsible for this in any way.

Newlaster
Username: Newlaster

Post Number: 226
Posted on Tuesday, December 25, 2007 - 9:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The current Church of Scientology-Michigan headquarters is at 12 Mile RD and Middlebelt RD in Farmington Hills.

I drove by it all the time.

Small, average looking office building. I used to see cars from ghetto-looking beaters up to BMWs parked there.

I always wondered what when on in there....

Carptrash
Username: Carptrash

Post Number: 1503
Posted on Thursday, December 27, 2007 - 10:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So here is the deal. Both churches and banks use fellows with keys and swords as allegorical (or otherwise) symbols. Check out, for example, the Guardian and any number of Peter & Paul churches. Is this coincidence, or . . ...... something else? Anyway, here is CP's guy with a key (among things) and I am wondering who can find (I can't because I'm too far away) the matching one with a sword. There is one in the metalwork, but I'm looking for stone. How 'bout it, Detroiters? eeeeek
guy with key

Greatlakes
Username: Greatlakes

Post Number: 109
Posted on Saturday, January 05, 2008 - 2:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

More details released in the Detroit News:

http://detnews.com/apps/pbcs.d ll/article?AID=/20080105/METRO /801050347

Brandon48202
Username: Brandon48202

Post Number: 206
Posted on Saturday, January 05, 2008 - 10:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It looks like there was an error in the article- Raymond James had actually been paying around $100,000/year in property taxes for the building. The property taxes for 2007 were: $102,088.99. Now that the building is being converted to a "church" they will be property tax exempt. I went through this building this past summer and it really only makes sense for office space. I really don't see any way of creating anything like a sanctuary or auditorium in the space. I wonder why they would want a building like this when there are so many large church buildings for sale in the city.

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 4420
Posted on Saturday, January 05, 2008 - 11:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"...the city won't reap property taxes from it. The site was previously owned by the financial services firm Raymond James & Associates. The firm paid $9,773 in taxes in 2006."

I was going to say that $9k a year in taxes was a bit low; Brandon's figures make much more sense. The difference is so striking and so obviously out of line that one wonders what the writer/editors were thinking - or perhaps, heh, they are scientologist trying to cover up the loss to the City.

Presumably there will be some tax generated from incomes of staff, but it sounds like a net loss to the city already filled with a gazillion tax free church properties.

Another amusing error on that page is a flash animation ad for Watermark condos.
"Were not only grand. We're mow [sic] open".
then "Welcome Center and Luxe [sic] model now open".

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 2465
Posted on Saturday, January 05, 2008 - 11:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I wonder why they would want a building like this when there are so many large church buildings for sale in the city.

Visibility. They have a church in Times Square, NYC...

Lefty2

Post Number: 853
Posted on Saturday, January 05, 2008 - 3:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe they looked at only winter taxes ?
Signage, big sign on top of the building. The city council should deny any sign change variance.
Scientology is a business, a recruiting station for people to be brainwashed. For them not to be exempt for property taxes should be criminal.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 4285
Posted on Saturday, January 05, 2008 - 3:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, I don't think it is a requirement for them to worship in "churchy" spaces with any traditional design...hell, most new Catholic churches aren't very church-like (more like garages).

The story should have explained their tax-exempt status.

The story was mildly offensive when it reads: "The church's opening in Detroit will bring the property back to its roots: St. Anne's Catholic Church was built on the site in 1701."

St. Anne's = scientology? What?

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 2187
Posted on Saturday, January 05, 2008 - 6:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I liked this paragraph Mackinaw:

"To make a city vibrant, you need many kinds of business and organizations, and diversity is very important," said John Carroll, executive director of the Detroit Regional Economic Partnership, which is across Griswold from the future church site. "This certainly brings an element of diversity."

John Carroll must be a funny guy.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1760
Posted on Saturday, January 05, 2008 - 6:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember when they said my mother was the cause of my stress during my stress test. I started cracking up and pulled out the wad of money she gave me for the vacation followed by heading back to the hotel she set me up in. What a freaking money making sham scientology is

Saintme
Username: Saintme

Post Number: 77
Posted on Saturday, January 05, 2008 - 6:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"The site was previously owned by the financial services firm Raymond James & Associates. The firm paid $9,773 in taxes in 2006"

When I read that I wanted to scream. I looked at houses in Detroit for well over a year before realizing that, at least for now, I still could not afford to live where I'd wanted due to $9,000+ taxes on residential property, not to mention the cost of rehab and maintenance that some of the homes would require. How could a financial services firm be paying the same amount in taxes for an 8 story building with riverfront views that I would have paid for an ailing beauty a fraction of its size in a less desirable part of town in Boston Edison? That figure has to be a misprint, right?! Please tell me things are not that backwards!

Lefty2

Post Number: 854
Posted on Saturday, January 05, 2008 - 11:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

taxes are over 100,000. annually. Would have been over 150,00 annually to the next owner if it wasn't a so called church. Thats over 1.5 million lost in ten years.

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 2191
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 8:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Since when does channel 4 link to DetroitYES threads???

http://www.clickondetroit.com/ news/14989026/detail.html

Carptrash

Post Number: 1516
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 8:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is my problem. No, not that I have no clean socks, I am trying to write up this building and do not know what to call it. Here is what I have:

Standard Savings and Loan (Runey Bldg) G D Mason (H Wenzell) Detroit, MI 405 Griswald (One Griswald) W E Wood, contractor

So a couple different names, even two different street numbers. Anyone want to suggest what this building be called in "Shadowing Parducci?"

Rbdetsport
Username: Rbdetsport

Post Number: 437
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 8:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OH NO! Now we are going to have a bunch of newbs.

Eric
Username: Eric

Post Number: 1066
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 9:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Since when does channel 4 link to DetroitYES threads???

Probably since they hired a bunch high schoolers to write the content for their website

Lefty2

Post Number: 860
Posted on Monday, January 07, 2008 - 1:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Carptrash - Call it Detroit's newest laundromat.
Because you can get your socks washed, your brain washed, and you life savings washed through this corrupt business aka church.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 6081
Posted on Monday, January 07, 2008 - 2:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Carptrash... prior to the Raymond James takeover of Roney & Co., it was called the Roney Building for decades. I would go with that name.

(Message edited by Gistok on January 07, 2008)

Kslice
Username: Kslice

Post Number: 256
Posted on Monday, January 07, 2008 - 8:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't get how scientology gets off of paying taxes. I mean, they make money! Isn't that the definition of a business?

Carptrash

Post Number: 1517
Posted on Monday, January 07, 2008 - 2:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thanks Gistok, that's (Roney Bldg) Plan A.

Plan B is the laundrymat.

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeek

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 4435
Posted on Monday, January 07, 2008 - 3:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

DETROIT -- A church known for the Hollywood stars affiliated with it is setting up new Michigan headquarters in Detroit.

Discussion: Discuss Detroit's Raymond James thread

The Church of Scientology has paid more than $3 million to buy a vacant eight-story building at the vacant Raymond James Building at Jefferson and Griswold Street, facing Hart Plaza.

The church says it's all part of its worldwide expansion. It will relocate most of its Detroit-area operations from Farmington Hills.
Plans for the site include a chapel, lecture rooms, and a meeting space for the church's community service programs.

Lowell, have you authorized this?? It's like they are implying this is where discussion of Channel 4 News stories is meant to take place.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 4437
Posted on Monday, January 07, 2008 - 3:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Also, look at that SWEET banner ad for Jehovah's Witnesses if you scroll all the way to the bottom of the page.

http://www.clickondetroit.com/ news/14989026/detail.html

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2711
Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 6:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some photos of the Parducci work on the Raymond James Building, taken last Saturday:

Woodward Side

she

he

lion

Griswold side

gates1

gates2

gates3

wheat

eagle

details

Amazing what you see when you really look!!

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 6503
Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 8:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great shots Kathleen. Thanks for posting them. It's one of my favourites to walk past when I'm downtown.

Great metalwork.

Carptrash

Post Number: 1556
Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 12:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks K:

Nothing like getting up close and personal to a building.

I emailed the church involved but have received no answer - which puts tham on a par with the RC church who mostly don't answer me either.

If you can get into the lobby do so. The grill work is even (opinion) better. eeeek

Here is CP on the building:

CORRADO PARDUCCI: Yeah. This is the inside of that Standard Savings and Loan. If you look at some of the stuff you see that it has a styling. . . . The grilles here are very fine, but they don’t show too well. But you see it has a Greek. . . . Here’s the front entrance grilles.

Kiara
Username: Kiara

Post Number: 1
Posted on Saturday, January 26, 2008 - 12:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i want to put a stop to this

Carptrash

Post Number: 1562
Posted on Saturday, January 26, 2008 - 12:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Put a stop to what? Too much Parducci for you or is it those Scientoligists?

Kathleen

Post Number: 2729
Posted on Saturday, January 26, 2008 - 1:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Normally I would welcome a new poster to the Forum....but I'll wait and see what develops here.

So, Kiara, please clarify...

Kiara
Username: Kiara

Post Number: 2
Posted on Saturday, January 26, 2008 - 1:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

scientology center. i'm all for detroit selling a great building but not to a cult.

i know in reality there's nothing that can be done.

(Message edited by kiara on January 26, 2008)

Carptrash

Post Number: 1567
Posted on Saturday, January 26, 2008 - 2:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

cults need a hug every now and then too - even one s who don't answer their email. Anyway, welcome here, and yes, we'll see what develops. eeeeek

(Message edited by carptrash on January 26, 2008)

Kathleen

Post Number: 2730
Posted on Saturday, January 26, 2008 - 3:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kiara: Welcome to the Forum! I'm also not thrilled that the Scientologists have acquired this building in such a high profile location downtown, but I'm hopeful that they will be good neighbors and that they understand the beauty of the building they now own and will keep it and show it off!

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 2268
Posted on Saturday, January 26, 2008 - 3:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's like any business--they too want a high profile location to attract 'customers.'

Billk
Username: Billk

Post Number: 199
Posted on Monday, January 28, 2008 - 3:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One of the many freedoms we enjoy as Americans is " freedom of religion ".

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 3342
Posted on Monday, January 28, 2008 - 3:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"One of the many freedoms we enjoy as Americans is " freedom of religion "."

Not relevant to anything being discussed here, but ok.

Lefty2

Post Number: 1215
Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 12:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No wonder they have all this money to buy real estate.
Ponzi scheming Scientologist scams investors out of 600 million (or so). I didn't know Greta Van Susteren was a big donor and Scientologist, she always seemed a little vacuous on TV though.
http://www.slatkinfraud.com/in dex.php

Motorcitydave
Username: Motorcitydave

Post Number: 123
Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 3:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Speaking of new 'churches' moving downtown, has anyone seen the pair of LDS missionary bike riding guys cruising around downtown? At least I think they were LDS... had the matching white shirt & tie uniforms on, matching helmets, and matching back packs, etc... they just stopped me one day when I was walking the dog, and started asking me a bunch of questions about how happy I was with life, etc... seemed like they were recruiting... they were hard to shake!...lol. :-)

Since then, I have seen them a few more times, at all hours of the day, and NIGHT.

Deteamster
Username: Deteamster

Post Number: 77
Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 4:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've seen LDS in Midtown for years. Yup, that's them.

Bobj

Post Number: 3930
Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 5:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've seen those folks around, but what is LDS?

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 838
Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 - 5:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mormon

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 2326
Posted on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 12:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Latter-day Saints
http://www.acronymfinder.com/a f-query.asp?Acronym=lds&Find=f ind&string=exact

Lefty2

Post Number: 1238
Posted on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 4:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Between the LDS, Jehovah's, Scientologists and Krishna's trying to recruit everyone and the multitude of other churches. You can't say Detroit isn't diversified religiously.

Bobj

Post Number: 3966
Posted on Friday, February 22, 2008 - 5:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, I always forget the Latter-day Saints and the New Orleans Saints

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.