Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » 4 Detroit High Schools amongst nation's best « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 4002
Posted on Wednesday, December 05, 2007 - 10:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20071204/NEW S01/712040319/1001/NEWS

quote:

Four Detroit high schools are among 1,591 public high schools rated among the best in the country according to rankings released by U.S. News & World Report and School Evaluation Services, an education data research company.
Renaissance High received a silver medal. Cass Technical High, Davis Aerospace Technical High and Detroit High School for the Fine & Performing Arts received bronze medals.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 2304
Posted on Wednesday, December 05, 2007 - 11:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's great.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 2309
Posted on Wednesday, December 05, 2007 - 3:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No one had anything else to say?

Toog05
Username: Toog05

Post Number: 164
Posted on Wednesday, December 05, 2007 - 3:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cass Tech class of '05 baby!

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 4107
Posted on Wednesday, December 05, 2007 - 4:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Goes to show that motivated students/concerned parents in DPS can seek out schools that are not only adequate but will permit the student to excel.

From my knowledge, there is a pretty substantial pipeline from Cass Tech to U-M.

Mayor_sekou
Username: Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 1769
Posted on Wednesday, December 05, 2007 - 4:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cass Tech students are everywhere 6/10 black students at State I swear are former Cass kids. Meanwhile I can count us Murray Wright students on one hand. But this is good news that is not that surprising to people who have been dealing with these schools.

Rb336
Username: Rb336

Post Number: 3873
Posted on Wednesday, December 05, 2007 - 4:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cass has had the honor before, good to see 4 more. with all the consistently negative crap out there about detroit schools, this should have gotten MUCH more play than what I saw

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 3185
Posted on Wednesday, December 05, 2007 - 4:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That is great!

English
Username: English

Post Number: 619
Posted on Wednesday, December 05, 2007 - 4:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HOORAY!
Go Renaissance! (Class of 1995)
Go Davis Aerospace! (Staff, 1999)
Go Cass Tech! (Staff, 2001-2005)
...and "Go King!" (Just for being the first PSL State Champions!)

Glad the nation's finding out what many, many universities, employers, and especially GRADUATES already know!

Toog05

Post Number: 165
Posted on Wednesday, December 05, 2007 - 4:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

English, you were a staff member at Cass 2001-2005, who are you?

English

Post Number: 620
Posted on Wednesday, December 05, 2007 - 5:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Post your email & I'll contact you. :-)

Toog05

Post Number: 166
Posted on Wednesday, December 05, 2007 - 5:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

toog03@hotmail.com

English

Post Number: 621
Posted on Wednesday, December 05, 2007 - 5:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You've got mail! Always nice to meet a Technician!

Popcanman55
Username: Popcanman55

Post Number: 10
Posted on Wednesday, December 05, 2007 - 6:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

English would you happen to have been Mr. payne's student teacher in 99? Did you also attend Bates Academy?

English

Post Number: 622
Posted on Wednesday, December 05, 2007 - 8:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I sure did attend Bates! And yes, Mr. Payne was my mentor (and former teacher @ Ren!)

Are you a Bates or Davis alum?

Trstar
Username: Trstar

Post Number: 13
Posted on Wednesday, December 05, 2007 - 8:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DPS has some good schools and many good students. Its just that DPS is wildly inconsistent. Plus the press won't run this with much fanfare, because it doesn't fit into the "DPS is crap dogma".

Often a little acknowledgment and encouragement can add to changing the attitudes in this region. Thats why I so glad that a DPS team finally won a State football championship.

Anyway its the parents that makes the student and the school, not the other way around. Congrats Parents.

Obligatory CT shout out here.

Crystal
Username: Crystal

Post Number: 81
Posted on Wednesday, December 05, 2007 - 8:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My Mom is a proud graduate of Cass Tech, class of 1948.

Victoria Johnson '48

Hamtragedy
Username: Hamtragedy

Post Number: 18
Posted on Saturday, December 08, 2007 - 9:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Would you be referring to Mr. Payne at Ren who loved Diana Ross so much he put a cutout of his face in a magazine shot with Ms. ross, which he kept under the glass on his desk? Or how 'bout "we love vocab" button on his lapel? RHS '85

Durango
Username: Durango

Post Number: 39
Posted on Saturday, December 08, 2007 - 10:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hamtradedy,

I was in the class of '86 at RHS. I was in Mr.Payne's junior English class in the basement of the old building. I remember his obsession with Diana Ross and the daily vocabulary drills. Mr. Payne and Mr. Arbogast in Latin class were very helpful with the development of my vocabulary.

Hamtragedy

Post Number: 19
Posted on Saturday, December 08, 2007 - 11:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I graded your papers and checked off the extra credit for daily use of the vocab words of the week....in the basement. Also the year before, did the same thing for the 84's who were juniors or seniors, only on the first floor. My brother gradyated in 89. Also a vocab snob.

As I recall, Cass was rated one the top 5 schools in the country in 1984. I think the extremely broad curricula had a lot to do with that. Several friends that went to Cass and grew up in Grandmont never held back an opportunity to rub it in some RHS kids face how good they thought they were, and they were everything from singers, theater people and photographers, to auto mechanics. . Still in contact with several Technicians and RHS people from 80's. My father's a Technician from 1960, so I caught that same business at home too......

Durango

Post Number: 40
Posted on Sunday, December 09, 2007 - 12:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hamtradedy,

Now, I remember Mr. Payne always had an assistant in his classes who sat at a table to the right of his desk. I had several friends who went to Cass and they would always boast about the history of Cass the school's tradition. The reality was many of them didn't pass the test to get into Renaissance at the time. I am still in contact with several people from Renaissance and Cass as well. Renaissance and Cass were great schools at the time and they are still good schools today. I am glad to find another person who has some positive memories of Detroit and Renaissance. I am sorry I don't remember your name.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 5695
Posted on Sunday, December 09, 2007 - 12:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jjaba is a Cass Tech. Printer, Class of 1959.
At that time, Cass Tech. had 5,000 students, from every corner of Detroit, including the Chinese who lived so close it was their neighborhood high school. Wing Lee was a Cass Tech. Printer jjaba remembers.
jjaba.

Durango

Post Number: 41
Posted on Sunday, December 09, 2007 - 1:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jjaba,

It looks like you're burning the midnight oil in the midwest. I am currently riding out a snow storm in Denver. I wish Renaissance had a history as long and rich as that of Cass Tech. I better start a Renaissance trend to see what we have amassed year to date.

Popcanman55
Username: Popcanman55

Post Number: 11
Posted on Sunday, December 09, 2007 - 7:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

English Yes I am both a Bates and Davis alum. I was actually in Mr. Payne's class when you were student teaching. Lets just say our mothers worked together at Bates mine still does. I believe you also when to school with my older brother and maybe sister.

Irish_mafia
Username: Irish_mafia

Post Number: 1152
Posted on Sunday, December 09, 2007 - 7:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's great!

Leoqueen
Username: Leoqueen

Post Number: 1668
Posted on Sunday, December 09, 2007 - 8:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Leoqueen is a PROUD CASS TECH ALUMNA, Class of 1972!! My daughter is a current Technician, Class of 2010! And a shout out to my Aunt Etta in heaven, Cass class of 1929, who just passed away at age 96....

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 10941
Posted on Sunday, December 09, 2007 - 12:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No surprise on who is not commenting on this thread.

Congrats to the students and teachers of these four outstanding DPS schools.

Hamtragedy

Post Number: 21
Posted on Sunday, December 09, 2007 - 12:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jjaba, I'm an avid reader of your posts. Hamtragedy, on the River to Greenfield, transfer to dexter (@outer drive) or just walk

Hamtragedy

Post Number: 22
Posted on Sunday, December 09, 2007 - 12:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jjaba, I'm an avid reader of your posts. Great grandfather drove the interurban to Mt. clemens. Grandfather took him lunches at the concord yard, rode for free. Hamtragedy, on the River to Greenfield, transfer to dexter (@outer drive) or just walk.

Scruffy
Username: Scruffy

Post Number: 24
Posted on Sunday, December 09, 2007 - 1:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone know what the make-up of the student body is at the School for Fine and Performing Arts? Do they allow students from outside the district?

Broken_main
Username: Broken_main

Post Number: 1351
Posted on Sunday, December 09, 2007 - 2:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And of course let me chime in CASS TECH c/0 1983.

Congrats to all of the schools that have been honored! GO DPS

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 10944
Posted on Sunday, December 09, 2007 - 2:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Do they allow students from outside the district?

When they opened the new place they had expected a pretty high number of students from the suburbs. Not sure how the numbers came in in that regard.

English

Post Number: 624
Posted on Monday, December 10, 2007 - 3:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey there, Popcanman! I know exactly who you are! I brought a number of my undergrads to Bates last month to see "excellence in urban education". I saw your mom (although I'm not sure she recognized me). She says you're all doing well... great to chat with a fellow Bates alumni. (If you haven't already, join our Yahoo! group!)

And yes, Mr. Payne was wonderful to more than 4 decades of students. I was lucky enough to have him as my student teaching supervisor during the last semester of his career. However, the last I heard, he had taken ill and is now living with his daughter in Chicago (Allison Payne, a WGN anchorwoman). I'd love to send holiday greetings to him, but need to get the address from the contact.

Dabirch
Username: Dabirch

Post Number: 2488
Posted on Monday, December 10, 2007 - 4:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A fantastic accomplishment for the schools to be sure.

But they are accomplishments that need to be tempered by the methodology.

quote:

We then factored in the percentage of economically disadvantaged students (who tend to score lower) enrolled at the school to find which schools were performing better than their statistical expectations.

If the first test was passed - i.e. modified for statistical fact that economically disadvantaged students performed worse, then it is on the the second test:

quote:

For those schools that made it past this first step, the second step determined whether the school's least-advantaged students (black, Hispanic, and low-income) were performing better than average for similar students in the state.

We compared each school's math and reading proficiency rates for disadvantaged students with the statewide results for these disadvantaged student groups and then selected schools that were performing better than this state average.

Ultimately, the methodology, it appears, is trying to level the playing field vs. looking strictly at the top performing high schools in the country.

Not taking anything away from the Detroit high schools that made the list - but it does not mean that Bad Axe High School actually performs better than Grosse Pointe South.

Parkguy
Username: Parkguy

Post Number: 168
Posted on Monday, December 10, 2007 - 7:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Ultimately, the methodology, it appears, is trying to level the playing field vs. looking strictly at the top performing high schools in the country."

This kind of statistical analysis is designed to show which schools do better than would be expected given the conditions they operate in. Schools are often compared this way to show which ones give the most "bang for the buck," to look at best practices, and so on.

Goblue
Username: Goblue

Post Number: 783
Posted on Monday, December 10, 2007 - 8:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Congrats to current faculty...and every grad of the four named schools...from a Denby TAR '59...if only my school were still one of the top schools in the city.

Jaja
Username: Jaja

Post Number: 3
Posted on Thursday, December 13, 2007 - 7:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CASS TECH 1963 grad..... I remember back then some ranking that put Cass Tech second
(or maybe third) in the country behind the Bronx High School Science...
A sad note... last week one of the best Cass Tech chemistry teachers... Harold Merritt passed away...

Young_detroiter
Username: Young_detroiter

Post Number: 215
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 6:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do not forget to mention CMA, which also received a Bronze ranking. I am a proud alumnus of Communication and Media Art's Class of 2005! Alright, maybe DPS will stop trying to shut it down now.

(Message edited by Young_detroiter on December 18, 2007)

Islandman
Username: Islandman

Post Number: 1254
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 7:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

English,

I went to Bates as well (first graduating class). Are from the old guard or the new? :-) Did you attend the reunion last year?

Class of '88 Cass Tech!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.