Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Ron Paul Lived in Detroit « Previous Next »
Archive through December 07, 2007Deandub1130 12-07-07  11:58 am
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Arab_guyumich
Username: Arab_guyumich

Post Number: 31
Posted on Friday, December 07, 2007 - 12:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was talking about Oslo. And I know about the other places in the city that offer sushi on their menus, but I was specifically referring to "sushi joints."

Alan55
Username: Alan55

Post Number: 844
Posted on Friday, December 07, 2007 - 1:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"This state could use a lot more of the latte-drinking, sushi-eating, Volvo-driving, New York Times-reading, body-piercing, Hollywood-loving demographic..."

I agree, as opposed to the tobacco-chewing, rustoleum-pickup driving, stained-tee-shirt-wearing, sister-dating, gtreasy-haired, 10th-grade drop-outs who populate the Republican party.

Rotation_slim
Username: Rotation_slim

Post Number: 71
Posted on Friday, December 07, 2007 - 1:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Poppa Romney did live in OC, but was not afraid of Detroit. I heard his son (Mitts brother) talk about when he was a kid his dad wanted to make sure he had a marketable skill, so he used to make him take a bus (back when we had them) to Cass Tech for night school to learn to be an electrician.

Now Scott (mitt's brother) is a Bloomfield Hills Lawer and I think an MSU trustee.. he may have run against Granholm years ago for Atty General??? not sure on that, but he is around.

Rocket_city
Username: Rocket_city

Post Number: 495
Posted on Friday, December 07, 2007 - 2:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The question is, "who DIDN'T live in Detroit?"

Sparty06
Username: Sparty06

Post Number: 42
Posted on Friday, December 07, 2007 - 3:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ron Paul speaks specifically about Michigan to this supporter in New Hampshire (a Michigan native) at about the 6:40 mark. He's well aware of Michigan's problems and has a solution for fixing them.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =HU8-5FtXLHs&eurl=http://www.r onpaulnation.com/?p=457

(Message edited by sparty06 on December 07, 2007)

Norwalk
Username: Norwalk

Post Number: 154
Posted on Friday, December 07, 2007 - 3:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Asian Village is NOT a Steak and Ale. It is going to be a Beauty Supplies store

Dsmith
Username: Dsmith

Post Number: 143
Posted on Friday, December 07, 2007 - 4:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mitt is having a big money fund raiser TONIGHT on his childhood street of Rathmor, which is behind the Bloomfield Hills Country Club near Long Lake and Woodward in Bloomfield Hills.

Ron Paul supporters will be there. Join us at 5:30 sharp.

1875 Rathmor Rd
Bloomfield Hills, MI 48304

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 436
Posted on Friday, December 07, 2007 - 4:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rotation,
Scott Romney (ex-husband to Ronna Romney) is an attorney at Honnigman and ran for Attorney General in 1998 but lost out during the State Republican convention to John Smietanka.

The Republicans ran the unpronoucable Smietanka against Ed McNamra's fav, Jennifer Granholm.

The story behind the story is that there was an internal power struggle within the Republican party between Engler and Chuck Yob of Grand Rapids fame.

At the convention Yob mounted a massive gathering of Dutch Reformed republicans from the west side of the state just steam-rolled over Romney's supporters from Oakland County and John Engler. The Dutch Reformed power-base of the Devos-Prince-Yob soon took complete control of the Republican Party.

for the full story: http://www.weeklystandard.com/ Content/Public/Articles/000/00 0/012/368gtpeb.asp?pg=2

Mitt Romney's National Campaign Manager is Bloomfield Hills resident John Rakolta, husband of Terry Rakolta (of Married with Children infamy) who just happens to be the sister of Ronna Romney (yes, Scott Romney's ex) .

whew... ya need a diagram to figure that one out.

Bottom line: Mitt Romney has extensive family ties to Michigan. His brother lives here, his mother and father are buried here and his National Campaign Manager lives here. He has the most contact with Michigan; is he the best choice for Michigan, maybe.

wiki family tree:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/P ratt-Romney_family#William_Pra tt

(Message edited by gnome on December 07, 2007)

Wash_man
Username: Wash_man

Post Number: 511
Posted on Friday, December 07, 2007 - 5:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Mitt is having a big money fund raiser TONIGHT on his childhood street of Rathmor, which is behind the Bloomfield Hills Country Club near Long Lake and Woodward in Bloomfield Hills.

Ron Paul supporters will be there. Join us at 5:30 sharp. "

Why....?

Sparty06

Post Number: 43
Posted on Friday, December 07, 2007 - 5:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No idea but I would guess to let GOP voters out there know that they don't have to pick the lesser of two evils and that there is another viable choice... in addition, many voters haven't ever heard of Ron Paul and this gets his name out there to a group that would probably support almost all of his domestic policies even if they may disagree with him on the war (even though 70% of the american public is against the war a sizeable portion of the GOP base may still be pro-war).

Jackndabox
Username: Jackndabox

Post Number: 6
Posted on Friday, December 07, 2007 - 5:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ron Paul? Never trust anyone with 2 first names. Besides, he's really a demorat the way he votes. Obama? NObama! Mitt Romney seems to be a pretty good candidate, and he was born in Detroit. He's named Mitt because Michigan is shaped like a mitten.

Sparty06

Post Number: 44
Posted on Friday, December 07, 2007 - 6:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ron Paul really a democrat? I think you should check into his voting record. He's been the most consistent supporter of limited government, low taxes combined with limited spending, 2nd Amendment Rights, etc. etc. I guess Ron Paul is out of step with the current GOP regarding the war and a lot of people think this one issue makes it so conservatives can't support him. I say, if conservatives can support a thrice married, pro-choice, cross dressing, pro-gay candidate (Rudy) then they can definitely support Ron Paul who is more in tune with them on the vast majority of other issues.

Conservatives always take about appointing strict constructionist judges to the bench who will strictly interpret the Constitution so why is it so radical to support a strict constructionist candidate? If we truly value the Constitution and its freedoms/values lets vote for a candidate that stands up for it even when not politically popular.

edit: Still haven't found out if Ron Paul lived in the city proper during his residency at Henry Ford???

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 437
Posted on Friday, December 07, 2007 - 6:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Willard MILTON Romney

http://www.answers.com/topic/m itt-romney

Oladub
Username: Oladub

Post Number: 64
Posted on Friday, December 07, 2007 - 9:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On October 12, Ron Paul participated in a presidential debate in Ann Arbor. Immediately afterwards, he spoke to 5,000 U of M students waiting for him outside.

Later in October, Ron Paul was the only Republican candidate to address the Arab-American Institute in Dearborn. He was asking questions about selling used Detroit area cars in Africa prior to his speech. http://www.ajjan.com/2007/11/r on-paul-at-arab-american-insti tute.html

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 732
Posted on Friday, December 07, 2007 - 10:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

RE: Selling used cars in africa, no wonder he is not a leading candidate. Ron Paul is not mainstream.

Sparty06

Post Number: 45
Posted on Friday, December 07, 2007 - 10:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry you're wrong
Ron Paul was ASKED a question about selling used cars in Africa... he was NOT asking about it.

Here was what transpired (direct copy/paste from website that you must've inadvertantly misquoted)
Also, he's certainly not mainstream in that he's the only Republican candidate that had enough courtesy to actually address the Arab American community in Detroit.
-----------------
Then he began speaking about the declining dollar, and I said to him:

"Congressman, I started up an export business in which I send American cars to West Africa, and people question why I'm supporting you given your monetary policy, when a weak dollar is helping my business, because I'm effectively buying in dollars and selling in Euros. So tell me why I'm not crazy for supporting you."

He seemed intrigued by the question, and admitted that in certain sectors a permanently weak dollar would have benefits - he cited tourism as an example. But in the auto sector, he explained rather didactically, how ultimately the price of raw materials like steel would increase and how inflation would squeeze an exporter's margins.

Jackndabox
Username: Jackndabox

Post Number: 7
Posted on Friday, December 07, 2007 - 10:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ron Paul, wants to surrender in Iraq. Not an option, Ron. How about rooting for our side for a change, Ron? That goes for the rest of the dems. Yeah, Rudy may be to out there too. Thompson and Mitt look like good choices, and they're both for winning the war, instead of running away.

Sparty06

Post Number: 46
Posted on Friday, December 07, 2007 - 10:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He doesn't want to surrender in Iraq, he merely wants to change U.S. foreign policy in a way that achieves greater national security. I think it's very important to note that he's received more donations from active duty military personnel than any other candidate on both sides of the aisle. Also, unlike Rudy and Romney he actually served in the military.

Back to Michigan/Detroit related things I think he's the best candidate for the auto industry because he doesn't believe in regulating them out of existence and wants to create economic stability/growth here at home which well help the ailing U.S. domestic auto industry.

Here's an opinion piece about him that appeared in today's Detroit News
http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2007712070304

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 3533
Posted on Wednesday, January 02, 2008 - 3:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know when George Romney moved to Bloomfield Hills, probably when he was named VP of AMC, but when he first moved to Detroit, he lived on Berkshire in Grosse Pointe Park. During or after the war, he moved to Palmer Park (1860 Balmoral), before finally moving to Oakland County.

Skylark
Username: Skylark

Post Number: 14
Posted on Wednesday, January 02, 2008 - 4:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mitt's first name is actually Willard, not that there's anything wrong with that, still not voting for him.

Sciencefair
Username: Sciencefair

Post Number: 37
Posted on Wednesday, January 02, 2008 - 4:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jack, the war in Iraq is not a football game. There is a lot more involved than "rooting" for a side and "winning."
There are lives at stake and hundreds of billions of taxpayer dollars being spent on a failed policy decision. Perhaps if the general public were more educated on the issue we wouldn't have ended up in this mess in the first place.
Or were you being facetious?

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 3538
Posted on Wednesday, January 02, 2008 - 6:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To answer Sparty's original question, Ron Paul lived at 10088 Heyden Ct on the city's west side.

Sparty06

Post Number: 47
Posted on Wednesday, January 02, 2008 - 11:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, confirms my suspicions that he's the type of guy who would live in the city proper.

Dsmith
Username: Dsmith

Post Number: 152
Posted on Thursday, January 03, 2008 - 5:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm going to buy that house.

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 3238
Posted on Thursday, January 03, 2008 - 7:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Thanks, confirms my suspicions that he's the type of guy who would live in the city proper

It was the early 60s and he was working at Henry Ford Hospital. The only thing you can infer from that is that he wanted to live near work. The city didn't have the stigma yet that it would have later.

Norwalk
Username: Norwalk

Post Number: 162
Posted on Thursday, January 03, 2008 - 9:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

wasn't Willard the name of that RAT?

Kslice
Username: Kslice

Post Number: 253
Posted on Thursday, January 03, 2008 - 9:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And that address is the only street without Google street view.
Oh well, I'll be doing everything I can to make sure another republican doesn't get into the whitehouse. Edwards/ Obama '08.

Wally
Username: Wally

Post Number: 346
Posted on Thursday, January 03, 2008 - 11:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Ron Paul is the only other candidate besides McCain that actually served in the military.

Philm
Username: Philm

Post Number: 41
Posted on Thursday, January 03, 2008 - 12:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"what is so enjoyable about raw fish wrapped in seaweed and rice with the consistency of grade-school craft paste?"

You never ate grade school craft paste???

Sparty06

Post Number: 48
Posted on Saturday, January 05, 2008 - 6:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"And that address is the only street without Google street view.
Oh well, I'll be doing everything I can to make sure another republican doesn't get into the whitehouse. Edwards/ Obama '08.? - KSlice

KSlice - Ron Paul is a different kind of Republican and draws a lot of Democrat and Independent leaning voters. He's also more against the Iraq War than both Edwards and Obama combined.

(Message edited by sparty06 on January 05, 2008)

Oladub
Username: Oladub

Post Number: 70
Posted on Monday, January 07, 2008 - 1:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wally, Duncan Hunter was a paratrooper and served in Vietnam. Ron Paul served five years in the Air Force as a flight surgeon. Democrat Mike Gravel was in Army counter intelligence.
YouTube "Ron Paul : Stop Dreaming"

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.