Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Pearl Harbor day in Detroit « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ditman
Username: Ditman

Post Number: 31
Posted on Friday, December 07, 2007 - 10:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone have any P H Day stories or memories? I'm too young(born 1943) to have any personal memories however growing up in NW Detroit in the 50's our next door neighbors were somewhat of minor celebs. David & Diane were twin brother & sister born exactly as P H was being attacked. The Det News used to run stories w/pics each P H Day. Dont recall if their dad was in P H but believe he was overseas when they were born.
I had a slight crush on Diane(blonde, blue-eyed)but she was 18mos older & Catholic. Doesnt work for a nice Jewish boy.
Am I allowed to disclose their names? They moved away when I was high school.
Our house was 15322 Ward Av. Theirs-15328 Ward Av.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 2364
Posted on Friday, December 07, 2007 - 12:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was five when "Tora, tora, tora" was in the ether over Hawaii, so I don't really remember much. Before mom died last May, I happened to ask her about that day, and she remembered that some family members had come over to play cards that Sunday. An hour after they left, the phone rang. It was them, and they shouted to turn on the radio as Hawaii had been bombed. At that point my memory kicks in vaguely, because I recall all the excitement as the family listened to the old Zenith the rest of the evening, with a whole lot of jabbering and discussion after each bulletin.

I really didn't understand the significance of it at the time, but I knew it was something important, and some little neuron in my brain preserved that thought for all time.

As the war progressed and my brother and uncles marched off to war, I became fascinated with each daily newspaper, following the action faithfully. I guess that set a trend for me, because I'm still a news junkie today.

(Sidebar: All my family returned home in one piece. Amen.)

Craig
Username: Craig

Post Number: 557
Posted on Friday, December 07, 2007 - 12:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ray - did you know the TMU patrolman & "author" (101st Airborne history & others) from the job? His ancestors were in the Zeros that day. Very funny line of his from a Tuebor article: "On December 7th I usually stay home."

Ray1936

Post Number: 2366
Posted on Friday, December 07, 2007 - 1:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, didn't know him, Craig, but I've heard of his book. That's about it.

Half of California is driving zeros today. They're called Mitsubishis. Who won that damn war, anyway?

Usnsubvet77
Username: Usnsubvet77

Post Number: 65
Posted on Friday, December 07, 2007 - 1:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was stationed in Pearl Harbor during the making of the movie, "Pearl Harbor".

It was a very surreal experience having mock Japanese Zero fighters and torpedo bombers flying over. Military surplus ships used as props being blown up...

Granted there were only about 6 planes, but certainly gave me a perspective of what 350+ might look and feel like.

----History Fact about Michigan at Pearl Harbor:

Medal of Honor Recipient:

FLAHERTY, FRANCIS C. (posthumous), Ensign, U.S. Naval Reserve, USS Oklahoma, Pearl Harbor, T.H., 07 December 1941

Award Citation:
Flaherty, Francis C.
Rank and organization: Ensign, U.S. Naval Reserve. Born: 15 March 1919, Charlotte, Mich. Accredited to: Michigan. Citation: For conspicuous devotion to duty and extraordinary courage and complete disregard of his own life, above and beyond the call of duty, during the attack on the Fleet in Pearl Harbor, by Japanese forces on 7 December 1941. When it was seen that the U.S.S. Oklahoma was going to capsize and the order was given to abandon ship, Ens. Flaherty remained in a turret, holding a flashlight so the remainder of the turret crew could see to escape, thereby sacrificing his own life

Currently buried Maple Hill Cemetery in Charlotte.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F rancis_C._Flaherty

http://www.history.navy.mil/fa qs/faq66-8a.htm

Usnsubvet77

Post Number: 66
Posted on Friday, December 07, 2007 - 1:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

---History Fact about Michigan at Pearl Harbor #2

Let's not forget that the Light Cruiser USS Detroit (CL-8) was about 200 yards away from the USS Arizona (BB-39) when it was destroyed.

Sstashmoo
Username: Sstashmoo

Post Number: 658
Posted on Friday, December 07, 2007 - 1:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quote: "Who won that damn war, anyway?"

They're taking us without firing a shot. So much for military superiority. The pen truly is mightier than the sword. Ok everyone, back to worrying about terrorists, Nevermind.

Birwood
Username: Birwood

Post Number: 55
Posted on Friday, December 07, 2007 - 8:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had a teacher at Mackenzie HS who was a Pearl Harbor survivor, a Mr Wallace Pietella, Math Dept.

Plymouthres
Username: Plymouthres

Post Number: 284
Posted on Friday, December 07, 2007 - 9:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

At the risk of sounding like some old dude, I'm going to comment, because I believe that it is very important that this day always be recognized as a significantly historical day in our country's history.

I believe that a great man once referred to it "as a day that will go down in infamy."

My father, who would have been 90 this year, was a 5 year veteran of World War II. Having been in the Army and serving here in the States, he was not directly subjected to the bombing of Pearl Harbor until a year afterwards when he was stationed at Schoefield Barracks at Pearl Harbor.

I know that the events that occurred at Pearl Harbor that day were forever burned into his mind as the day that our sovereign soil was attacked. I also know that he served those years in the military away from home believing that what he was doing was the single-most important thing in the world. Service to country was paramount in his mind. Commitment and sacrifice were expected and not an option. Duty wasn't a question, it was a given.

The enemy that we were fighting was clearly defined and all we had to do was build a bigger, stronger force and we could win.

I believe that it was also a time when the country stood as one and was a strong UNITED force behind the men and women that participated in the war effort.

Every person that served in that war was revered and their sacrifice was gratefully acknowledged by the people of our nation. 60 some years later, groups like the ones of the 101st Airborne's Band of Brothers and the Tuskegee Airmen are honored for their sacrifice.

My fear is that this day will cease to be recognized as the members of this "Greatest Generation" die off and are no longer here to remember and remind us to do the same.

Pearl Harbor was the magnet that drew the US into World War II. So today, in my mind, will always be the day that the United States was catapulted into the midst of a raging World War that took the lives of some of the greatest Americans to have ever served this country.

May we never forget.

Ray1936

Post Number: 2368
Posted on Friday, December 07, 2007 - 9:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The end result of World War II was the emergence of the United States as the world's superpower. We still are, although things have slipped a bit since the turn of the century. I only hope future generations remember their history and take care of what they've been handed.

Jrvass
Username: Jrvass

Post Number: 341
Posted on Saturday, December 08, 2007 - 4:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My mother (12) remembers coming out of the theatre (Fisher?) with her parents with the shouts of "Extra!" "Japs bomb Pearl Harbor!".

My father (15) was at Sunday dinner at his grandfather's house in Palmer Woods. They spent the afternoon next to the radio listening to the reports. He was a radioman on Okinawa getting ready for the invasion when Truman ended the war.

My uncle in the Marines was shot paratrooping onto Iwo Jima and Guadalcanal. His last duty in WWII was bulldozing corpses into mass graves at Hiroshima.

No wonder he died of cancer 22 years ago.

Tponetom
Username: Tponetom

Post Number: 178
Posted on Saturday, December 08, 2007 - 1:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Plymouthres:
Your Post # 284, is poignant and to the point. Lest we forget.
My future brother-in-law, Walter (Ski) Fox was a sailor. He survived.
He married my sister in the early fifties. One day, at a small family gathering, In my infantile stupidity, I asked Ski something about the attack. He paused, as though meditating. His eyes glistened. He swallowed, got up and excused himself, walking to the bathroom.
He was in there about ten minutes.
I then realized that my question was entirely inappropriate.
I never again asked any veteran who was in a real combat venue, about his experiences.
My best friend and partner was in the Battle of the Bulge. In our forty year association he never mentioned a word about that battle. I never asked him or any other combat veteran that I knew about their experiences.
I was 13 years old in 1941. On Dec. 7, I was walking north on McClellan approaching the Nativity Recreation Center, with a classmate. The News and Times and Free Press all had "Extra's on the streets. I told my pal that the "war" would last two or three weeks.
From the mouths of babes.
Excuse me. I have something in my eye.
Ray 1936: Post # 2366. I have asked that question many times.

Hagglerock
Username: Hagglerock

Post Number: 468
Posted on Saturday, December 08, 2007 - 2:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Amen Plymouthres, my grandfather was also a WW2, although a Marine veteran, may we never forget.

I'm currently stationed at Marine Corps Base Hawai'i (MCBH) Kaneohe Bay. Driving around the base you still can find relics of the attack. In fact there is a stone that marks the spot where a Japanese plane was shot down. As I drive by it daily it's hard to that imagine this beautiful place was once a battle ground 66 years ago.

The aircraft hangers we use on base were the same ones that were bombed on December 7th,1941. In fact, if you carefully look around each building you still can find bullet holes and shrapnel damage from the attack.

Yesterday I saw group of traditionally dressed Japanese people touring the base and laying flower wreathes in what looked like they we pay respects here on MCBH. Additionally the USS Arizona memorial is a very popular attraction for Japanese tourists that come to Hawai'i

Plymouthres

Post Number: 290
Posted on Saturday, December 08, 2007 - 2:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hagglerock-

Thank you for your story and post. Thank you also for your service to this country and for keeping us safe. I hope you enjoy your "stay" in Hawaii as much as my father did. He often spoke fondly of the place and the many memories that he shared with me will never be forgotten.

I am also glad that you mentioned the battle damage that still exists in the area. My father loved to tell the story of his arrival at Schoefield Barracks and his introduction to Pearl. Upon meeting the movers in his new office area, apparently inside one of the very hanger's you mention, they asked him where he wanted his office furniture, particularly his desk. He casually pointed to an irregular circular "patch" in the concrete floor, obviously where a bomb had landed. He told them to put the desk EXACTLY over that patch. His belief was that no bomb would fall in the same spot twice!

Some logic, eh?

He, indeed, came home safely.

Plymouthres

Post Number: 291
Posted on Saturday, December 08, 2007 - 2:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tpone-

I can relate with your story. We never know the pain we cause when we ask the questions that we do, do we? Your youthful innocence was the culprit, and it was only curiosity that prompted that question. I'm sure he never held that moment against you.

Thank you again for the invaluable input.

Swede1934
Username: Swede1934

Post Number: 34
Posted on Saturday, December 08, 2007 - 9:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can remember December 7 quite well. My sister was living in the Alpha Chi Omega sorority house at U of M. Men and little boys were severely restricted on entering the house in those days, so my father and I were sitting in the car, listening to the radio. We heard the whole terrible news bulletin as it was broadcast.

Usnsubvet77

Post Number: 68
Posted on Monday, December 10, 2007 - 8:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Everyday that I was stationed at PH was a remembrance to what had happened. The oil slick bars around my submarine continued to collect oil remnants left from the attack.

As PlymouthRes said about Hickam Airfield; Ford Island, where the Army Air Corps was, still bore permanently smoked windows and bullet holes in the runway.

Of course the Arizona memorial was the most defining memorial. However, having lived there, I began to discover little known and even less visited memorials. Such as on the other side of Ford Island, the USS Utah, still bearing 57 men, lies capsized and half out of the water.

Every year on Dec 7th, several buddies of mine would buy ourselves a bottle of appropriate booze and go to each memorial. The Arizona from the beach of Ford Island and the Utah from the overlook pier and toast to our fallen shipmates. It was the proverbial “one for me, one for my hommies” toast when we poured the rest into the harbor. We figured the boys could use a drink once a year. Our little ceremony gathered some popularity from 2 to about 7 sailors. Nothing special and however corny to others, it was just our little piece of remembrance to those who will forever be remembered as heroes to me.

I guess I just tried to live up to an example that they would have been proud of while I was there. I made it home from the submarine service after 5 years, so perhaps, I did have some Pearl Harbor angels looking over me.

I agree. Lest we should forget

Remembering is the least we can do.

Eaglelv
Username: Eaglelv

Post Number: 21
Posted on Saturday, December 15, 2007 - 8:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Subvet, I am stationed in Hawaii over at Kaneohe Bay been here since '92 and was an Extra in the movie "Pearl Harbor" (boxing scene with Cuba Gooding jr and several others) what a great opportunity to participate in History and you are correct it was really odd to watch the old airplanes with the red meat ball flying low and slow over the harbor, it gave us all a slight idea of what it must have been like.

Usnsubvet77

Post Number: 75
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 12:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Very cool Eagle!
I was out in Pearl from 98-03. LOTS of fun to be had! not a day goes by that I don't miss it. Kaneohe, Waimanalo and Bellows beach were my favorite parts of the island. I used to live in Kapolei (near Mililani, by the ex-Barber's Point airfield)

I had a bunch of friends that were extras in the scene where Ford Island was attacked (shortly before the guys launched their fighters)

I unfortunately couldn't be one because I had 24 hour duty the day of auditions (or whatever they called them for extras) I was pretty bummed about that.

(Message edited by usnsubvet77 on December 18, 2007)

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 5385
Posted on Wednesday, December 26, 2007 - 7:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Interesting. I served in Hawaii (Schofield Barracks, one of the first targets hit), from 2000-2002...

I didnt know there were so many vets that served in Hawaii here.

BTW I have to concur with the Arizona and Battleship Row. It is a sobering reminder...

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.