Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Original art in Detroit? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Drjeff
Username: Drjeff

Post Number: 19
Posted on Friday, December 07, 2007 - 1:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm interested in buying a piece of original artwork from a local artist as a Christmas gift for my wife. I don't want to break the bank here, I'm thinking in the $150 ballpark. Can anyway give me advice on where to look? I've seen a handful of galleries around the city but have no idea where to begin. I'm thinking primarily of a painting but she's a big fan of sculpture as well so I'd be open to that. Thanks for any help you can give me!

Spidergirl
Username: Spidergirl

Post Number: 319
Posted on Friday, December 07, 2007 - 1:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not sure what style you're looking for, but Simone DeSousa at Russel Industrial Center is amazing. Call her up and check our her gallery. Tell her Jamie referred you.

http://www.salt-minestudio.com /painting/painting_section.htm

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1682
Posted on Friday, December 07, 2007 - 1:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Check Zeitgeist Gallery on Michigan Avenue.

The_ed
Username: The_ed

Post Number: 1359
Posted on Friday, December 07, 2007 - 1:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

check out this artist:

http://saffellart.com/

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2623
Posted on Friday, December 07, 2007 - 2:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DETROIT ARTISTS MARKET'S 2007 ART FOR THE HOLIDAYS, November 9-December 22
The Detroit Artists Market Annual Holiday Show is a one-of-a-kind gift shopping experience for all! The gallery transforms from a fine art exhibition gallery to a fun, energetic, gift shop featuring all hand-made items by local artists offering a wide range of products and price points. This show includes jewelry, glass, metal, ceramic, photography, accessories, paintings, drawings, sculpture, books, cards, framed prints, and the list goes on!
http://www.detroitartistsmarke t.org/

Pewabic Pottery's Museum Store offers historic reproductions of embossed gift tiles handcrafted at the Pottery for nearly a century and is open to the public seven days a week.
Choose from hundreds of images in authentic Arts & Crafts glaze colors. Other glaze choices include gold, silver and the beautiful iridescent glazes which have brought Pewabic international fame. Hand-painted, multicolored tiles are new.
Other museum store gifts include hand-thrown pottery using the unique ceramic forms of historic Pewabic vessels, tableware, candlestick holders, garden vessels and ornaments. Unique embossed giftboxes and gift cards available.
http://www.pewabic.org/store-g alleries.htm

Detroitbill
Username: Detroitbill

Post Number: 394
Posted on Friday, December 07, 2007 - 2:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Simones work is wonderful.... I have one of her pieces however I dont think it fits the price range quoted

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 3371
Posted on Friday, December 07, 2007 - 2:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

MCHR presents an evening of Sweatshop Free Shopping
With Charles Kernaghan and featuring artists from the Russell Industrial Center and Cass Community Matmakers

http://www.mchr.org/events.htm l

401don
Username: 401don

Post Number: 135
Posted on Friday, December 07, 2007 - 2:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a lot of Jan Kaulins' photographs hanging in my house. If you want to give some photos of current/past Detroit check out JanKaulins.com

Detroitbill
Username: Detroitbill

Post Number: 396
Posted on Friday, December 07, 2007 - 2:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Another very talented artist in Windsor , her own gallery has just opened up,, great work, wide variety of prices,,very popular,, also other artists works are on display. Very cool gallery and well worth the visit
http://www.nancyjohns.com/

Huggybear
Username: Huggybear

Post Number: 315
Posted on Friday, December 07, 2007 - 2:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Detroit Artists Market is your best bet for one-stop shopping.

Norwalk
Username: Norwalk

Post Number: 153
Posted on Friday, December 07, 2007 - 3:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Hamtramck Art Collective (HATCH) is having their 2nd annual Holiday Bazzar at the Cafe1923 on Holbrook in Hamtramck on Saturday December 8 I believe it starts @ 10:00 am

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2624
Posted on Friday, December 07, 2007 - 3:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

According to the Cafe 1923 website, the HATCH event runs from noon until 7pm tomorrow.

Dhugger
Username: Dhugger

Post Number: 282
Posted on Friday, December 07, 2007 - 4:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I went to Lowell's show at the Cass Cafe a few years ago.
Check out his site:
Paintings & Photographs >

https://www.atdetroit.net/editions/ editions-frameset.htm

Drjeff

Post Number: 20
Posted on Friday, December 07, 2007 - 4:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks very much for the suggestions! I'm enjoying just looking at all the options. I know there's a lot of talent in the area and I'd like to do whatever little I can to support it.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 4065
Posted on Friday, December 07, 2007 - 4:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Check out Southen's photography. His stuff is fantastic.

http://www.ryansouthenphotogra phy.exposuremanager.com/

Toolbox
Username: Toolbox

Post Number: 1118
Posted on Friday, December 07, 2007 - 4:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Check out painter Jack Johnson.

Terryh
Username: Terryh

Post Number: 590
Posted on Friday, December 07, 2007 - 6:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rivers edge gallery in Wyandotte. I bought two of Amy Pongranze paintings.

Terryh
Username: Terryh

Post Number: 591
Posted on Friday, December 07, 2007 - 6:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Audrey Pongracz. Check out the rivers edge art gallery site. I purchased the Butcher Boy oil on canvass.WWW. Audrey Pongracz

Drjeff

Post Number: 21
Posted on Thursday, December 13, 2007 - 1:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just want to thank everyone again for their help. After looking at a lot of stuff on the web, I ended up going to the Detroit Artists Market last night and buying two pieces. If you're never been there, definitely check it out- it has great art for any price range. It was very difficult to decide which ones to buy. And I have future plans for some of the other, pricier suggestions when I have more cash in hand!

Carptrash
Username: Carptrash

Post Number: 1494
Posted on Thursday, December 13, 2007 - 4:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What's a Lowell going for these days? eeek

Drjeff

Post Number: 24
Posted on Friday, December 14, 2007 - 11:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I looked at his website and his stuff is amazing but a little out of my current price range. Hopefully someday!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.