Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Edsel Ford II and the Henry Stephens estate « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 5223
Posted on Saturday, December 08, 2007 - 5:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is actually news to me, although it happened two decades ago.

GROSSE POINTE TREMBLES AS MANSION IS STRIPPED

By ISABEL WILKERSON, SPECIAL TO THE NEW YORK TIMES
Published: May 17, 1987

LEAD: There were tremors along the elm-lined lawns of this courtly Detroit suburb this week as collectors, builders and ordinary homeowners dismantled one of the town's stateliest mansions, even stripping its oak floors and bronze door knockers.

There were tremors along the elm-lined lawns of this courtly Detroit suburb this week as collectors, builders and ordinary homeowners dismantled one of the town's stateliest mansions, even stripping its oak floors and bronze door knockers.

The mansion, a 25-room French Baroque house built in 1913 by Charles A. Platt, a New York architect, was bought about a year ago by Edsel Ford 2d, son of Henry Ford 2d and the crown prince of Detroit's social circuit. Although Mr. Ford planned to move into the mansion, he disliked its ornate appointments. To the dismay of other residents, he decided to auction off virtually everything but the concrete walls.

People came in from New York, Atlanta and Texas to bid on the mansion's chandeliers and fireplaces last Saturday. This week they came to retrieve the goods. They pried off shutters, tore out sinks, stripped pantry counters and hauled out a pair of cement ram's-head urns. Passing of Era Feared

Continued at:
http://query.nytimes.com/gst/f ullpage.html?res=9B0DE0D71E3CF 934A25756C0A961948260

So what was the deal with this? Did the mansion actually come down? Where was is located in GP?
I bet he'd have been pissed if some asshat tried to seel off parts of his grandmother's home.

Irish_mafia
Username: Irish_mafia

Post Number: 1153
Posted on Sunday, December 09, 2007 - 3:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not sure if that was the house on Fair Acres that they lived in while he was building his Cap Cod on Lakeshore or if it was on the property that he built on or if he actually rebuilt the house in question to create the present house.

In either case, no one around GP is bitching about Edsel, his rather stately house, the taxes that he contributes to the GPF coffers or the work that he did heading Detroit 300.

Give us a few dozen more of him any day!

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 5867
Posted on Sunday, December 09, 2007 - 3:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well I have to disagree...

Edsel II's grandmother Eleanor Ford made sure that her estate did not meet the fate of Anna Thompson Dodge's Rose Terrace estate.

But unfortunately her descendents were rather less charitable to their Grosse Pointe residences...

Her son Henry II owned and lived in the magnificent Georgian style Roy Chapin house on Lakeshore at Provencial. But when he married Katherine DuRoss (his 3rd wife), the Chapin house was no longer their home. But instead of selling it outright, he razed it, and today we have an entire subdivision of rather bland Tudor condo's along that stretch of Lakeshore.

And then there's Elena Ford, Eleanor Ford's great granddaughter. She bought her great aunts (Josephine Ford) home on Provencial. And (one of the excuses for tearing it down was supposedly mold) that house was not to her tastes either... so down it came.

And of course there's Eleanor's grandson Edsel II. He gutted the magnificent mansion on Lakeshore to rebuild it as the Cape Cod house we see today.

So 3 historic Grosse Pointe houses were torn down or gutted, and 1 historic house was saved. Maybe a few dozen more Fords is what Detroit could use... but certainly not the Grosse Pointes! :-(

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 7230
Posted on Sunday, December 09, 2007 - 3:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What is your bitch?

I replaced the linoleum in my back hallway with tile, and you'll probably never see it either.

It's his PRIVATE home, it is up to him (or his wife) to decide what works for them.

Mwilbert
Username: Mwilbert

Post Number: 31
Posted on Sunday, December 09, 2007 - 10:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And if you buy a Van Gogh or a Rembrandt, you can burn it, but you shouldn't be surprised if you get some criticism.

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 1307
Posted on Sunday, December 09, 2007 - 10:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Grosse Pointe News headline, May 14, 1987

Grosse Pointe News front page headline, May 14, 1987
Read the entire article (PDF file)

Grosse Pointe News, May 21, 1987

A follow-up article appeared in the May 21st issue of the Grosse Pointe News that mentions the NY Times article.

Gistok

Post Number: 5868
Posted on Monday, December 10, 2007 - 12:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not so much bitching about the Fords as I am in Grosse Pointe in general. I remember (as a kid) going down Lakeshore Dr. in the 60's... and seeing the Chapin, the MacAuley and the Glancy estates, and of course Rose Terrace. These were massive palaces facing the water... now long gone...

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 747
Posted on Monday, December 10, 2007 - 10:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah but Elena & hubby made 9 million or something by selling the weathervane's on the house and a bunch of other stuff., who can blame em. That would pay for a nice new home.

Gistok

Post Number: 5873
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 1:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lefty, I do believe that the estate sale happened first ($5.8 million on the weathervane alone) before they bought the house from the estate. So Elena and hubby didn't get that big chunk of change.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.