Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Detroit, a Global City? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Lifeinmontage
Username: Lifeinmontage

Post Number: 53
Posted on Saturday, December 08, 2007 - 10:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is kind of interesting to read what Wikipedia and other sources believe defines a global city. Maybe such factors could be helpful in the redevelopment of our fair city. Detroit is currently listed in the "almost global city" category along with Bratislava, New Delhi, Kansas City, Hanoi, Tijuana, and Cleveland, among others.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G lobal_city

Thoughts?

(By the way, I'm not citing a reference for a research paper. Wikipedia is fine IMO to inspire conversation.)

Parkguy
Username: Parkguy

Post Number: 196
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 9:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A reply was a long time coming, Lifeinmontage, but I think the article is interesting. Detroit has most of the indicators. Banking might be weak, especially with the exodus of Comerica (although you could argue that our banks have been so strong historically that they were attractive takeover targets); but we are strong in global corporate headquarters. With developments in the aerotropolis, a very strong airport becomes even stronger. Increased research in non-automotive areas will add to it, as will a new rail and light rail system under transit. And as for sports, well, bring on the Olympics.

Detroit313
Username: Detroit313

Post Number: 592
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 10:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit IS global, just by location alone!

<313>

D_mcc
Username: D_mcc

Post Number: 71
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 10:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm telling you, Pistons win the NBA championship, Tigers win the World Series, and the Red Wings win the Stanley Cup...all in one 4-month span. Going to be a great year in Detroit!

Detourdetroit
Username: Detourdetroit

Post Number: 357
Posted on Monday, January 07, 2008 - 12:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

one of the most important cities in history...yes.

global city? no.

happy new year detroit!

D_mcc

Post Number: 78
Posted on Monday, January 07, 2008 - 11:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"one of the most important cities in history...yes"

May I ask how?

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 2470
Posted on Monday, January 07, 2008 - 11:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I count 4 points for Detroit. But I guess nobody has ever challenged the rankings?

D_mcc

Post Number: 80
Posted on Monday, January 07, 2008 - 12:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would count:

1. Name Recognition
2. Fairly Large Population
3. Major International Airport
4. Strong Sporting community

So yeah...4 points makes Detroit a Gamma City

Iheartthed

Post Number: 2471
Posted on Monday, January 07, 2008 - 12:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^Well, DTW is only the hub of one international airline (NWA), so that's not what I was counting. The freeway network is the other point that I had in mind. Detroit is served by 3 US interstates plus Canada's 401.

D_mcc

Post Number: 81
Posted on Monday, January 07, 2008 - 12:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^ What about the cultural, Detroit has a Nationally Renowned Symphony, plus the DIA, and Greenfield Village and the Henry Ford...

Iheartthed

Post Number: 2473
Posted on Monday, January 07, 2008 - 12:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

^ What about the cultural, Detroit has a Nationally Renowned Symphony, plus the DIA, and Greenfield Village and the Henry Ford...

It depends on their standard of metric, I guess.

I really don't understand how Dallas and Atlanta got points that Detroit did not. Which of those points exists in Atlanta and Dallas that don't in Detroit?

D_mcc

Post Number: 82
Posted on Monday, January 07, 2008 - 12:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Atlanta held an Olympic Games...is the HQ for Coke, CNN, has universities and is a major city in the southeastern US. I'm sure all that was weighed.

Detroit is probably the 4th or 5th city in the northeast:

1. New York
2. Boston
3. Chicago
4. Detroit?
5. Philadelphia?

Iheartthed

Post Number: 2474
Posted on Monday, January 07, 2008 - 12:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit has proven it's capability to hold events such as the Olympic Games. It holds the record number of times a city has been named a finalist and not actually hosted the games.

Detroit has universities. Metro Detroit has universities. It's an international metropolis. Metro Detroit is/has been the headquarters for many globally influential companies.

The only plus I can see for Atlanta over Detroit is CNN, as far as the criteria from this wiki entry is concerned.

Rb336
Username: Rb336

Post Number: 4340
Posted on Monday, January 07, 2008 - 1:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would ad both the cultural aspects. Both the DSO and DIA are world-renowned, we have festivals that draw audiences from around the globe. our music has had a profound influence on other cultures. I would definitely rate us above Atlanta. Unfortunately, with the exception of Mexican Town, our ethnic enclaves have melted away.

as for importance to history -- try to imagine a twentieth century without Detroit.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 4426
Posted on Monday, January 07, 2008 - 1:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"as for importance to history -- try to imagine a twentieth century without Detroit."

Eating sauerkraut, speaking German, and having bad taste in art?

Macknwarren
Username: Macknwarren

Post Number: 6
Posted on Monday, January 07, 2008 - 1:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think Wikipedia has Detroit's current place in the world right. The farther back in the 20th Century you go, however, the better Detroit likely would have fared. Imagine if the rankings had come out, say, in 1928, before the Depression, when Detroit was unquestionably one of the most dynamic cities on Earth. It likely would have scored high on the "Beta" scale then.

Today, when traveling through almost any section of Detroit and suburbs on a work day, there is a striking lack of the kind of energy that pulses through the Alpha, Beta and Gamma cities I have visited. Part of the problem is metro Detroit is so spread out. Part of the problem is that there is a lack of energy.

(Message edited by Macknwarren on January 07, 2008)

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 4760
Posted on Monday, January 07, 2008 - 1:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

as for importance to history -- try to imagine a twentieth century without Detroit.

Still living in the remote past?

Who would have ever thunk that Rome was the head of the Roman Empire? Rome has its historical ruins too. Yet, tourists flock there.

Detroit probably is better than Rome, according to some misguided posters' logic.

BTW, the Wiki states:
quote:

Economy

Modern day Rome has a dynamic and diverse economy with thriving technologies, communications, and service sectors. It produces 6.7% of the national GDP (more than any other city in Italy). Rome grows +4,4% annually and continues to grow at a higher rate in comparison to any other city in the rest of the country. Following World War II Rome's economic growth began to overtake its rivals, Naples and Milan, although a traditional rivalry persists with Milan today. Tourism is inevitably one of Rome's chief industries, with numerous notable museums including the Vatican Museum, the Borghese Gallery, and the Musei Capitolini. Rome is also the hub of the Italian film industry, thanks to the Cinecittą studios. The city is also a center for banking as well as electronics and aerospace industries. Numerous international headquarters, government ministries, conference centres, sports venues and museums are located in Rome's principal business districts: the Esposizione Universale Roma (EUR); the Torrino (further south from the EUR); the Magliana; the Parco de' Medici-Laurentina and the so-called Tiburtina-valley along the ancient Via Tiburtina.

Population (December 2006)
- City 2,705,603
- Density 2,105.5/km² (4,664.8/sq mi)
- Urban 4,013,057
- Metro 5,493,308

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 4429
Posted on Monday, January 07, 2008 - 1:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Like moth to a flame, LY sensed someone posting positive things about Detroit, and was drawn immediately to squash any such nonsense.

Parkguy

Post Number: 197
Posted on Monday, January 07, 2008 - 6:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

-First name familiarity: Yes
-Influence on world events: in business, yes, politics, no; culture, yes
-Large metropolitan population: yes
-Airport: Yes--20th busiest in the world
-Local transportation: freeways, yes; transit, you're kidding; intermodal, yes-minus
-Ethnic mix: middling-- easily identifiable Latino, Arabic, Chaldean, African-American, other groups spread out and small. I think Asian (lumped together) is about 2% now.
-Financial Institutions-- low; headquarters-- strong; conglomerates-- low (Masco?); stock exchanges-- not in years, and that was local.
-Communications: Yes-- much more so than many are aware, especially in corporate communications; plus for years Detroit was or still is the number three source of film and television production in the country. Several top-drawer production companies are headquartered here.
-World-renowned cultural institutions: Very much yes. DSO is one of the top orchestras in the world; DIA is very well-regarded; new gallery and museum venues are growing and active; we have several top-500 world universities in Michigan, and U-M and CCS are top 10 in the world (CCS in design schools). MOT has had two world premieres over the last few years, and is very highly regarded, at least nationally. Detroit has more legitimate theatre seats than anywhere in the country except NYC, although most of the shows are tours.
-All of the major worldwide news and information services are present here, and most of them have actual bureau offices rather than single reporters.
-Sports: Yes-- we just need to get a major INTERNATIONAL competition here. A good start would be an international hockey tournament or figure skating championship.

I would give 6 distinct YES points, 5 weak yes points, and one middling "not quite."

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 1338
Posted on Monday, January 07, 2008 - 6:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit does have a World Class Health System :-)

Rocket_city
Username: Rocket_city

Post Number: 519
Posted on Monday, January 07, 2008 - 9:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit probably isn't a global city in the traditional definition of the term, but I bet if the border crossings and other economic infrastructure was destroyed tonight, that tomorrow people might reconsider the definition of a global city.

Ray
Username: Ray

Post Number: 1068
Posted on Tuesday, January 15, 2008 - 1:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just spent two weeks in Shanghai and Beijing, and coming home I felt like I was wanderng back to my native farming villiage. The contrast is staggering.

Lifeinmontage
Username: Lifeinmontage

Post Number: 56
Posted on Monday, January 21, 2008 - 1:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Parkguy said:
"plus for years Detroit was or still is the number three source of film and television production in the country. Several top-drawer production companies are headquartered here."

Where are you getting this information? There are a number of other cities in the country much more deserving of such a title (following LA & NY) such as Austin, Chicago, etc. Michigan has one of the weakest tax incentive programs (granted, it's a start) in the country compared to states that are much more supportive like New Mexico, Connecticut, Louisiana, and Wisconsin.

Histeric
Username: Histeric

Post Number: 824
Posted on Monday, January 21, 2008 - 3:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where are u getting your information? Detroit has held the title for produced footage(second only to hollywood) for a couple decades. If it has changed, I won't be caught unaware, but to act as if it it a tremendous change...and to mention the potential competitors mentioned...is to reveal your flat out ignorance. Lifeinmontage might want to learn where he/she is at. A couple of decades...ignored.

(Message edited by histeric on January 21, 2008)

Downtown_remix
Username: Downtown_remix

Post Number: 585
Posted on Monday, January 21, 2008 - 10:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

2012 Detroit. Several things will happen that will bring Detroit closer to Global status:

Port Athority
New Airport
Book Cadillac/Fort Shelby restoration
Quicken Loan/Cadillac Center Developments
Stronger student residency at Wayne State/ UofD M
mercy
Completed River walk
1000's of residents in greater downtown Detroit

Parkguy

Post Number: 208
Posted on Monday, January 21, 2008 - 11:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lifeinmontage:
I'll have to look for up to date stats, but Histeric is right-- you are only thinking about feature films. The vast majority of film and video work in the country is advertising and corporate/industrial production, and that is where this region does its work. There are two really large "neighborhoods" of media production in the Metro region-- Southfield and Farmington Hills, plus another area in Troy. The largest sound stage between NY and LA is in Farmington Hills. If any other metro area has moved ahead of Detroit it could only be Orlando, since Disney and related companies do a lot of production there. Once again, I'm basing this on long-term information, not this year's numbers. But, at any rate, there is a large and very professional media community here in Detroit. This is a very creative and talented pool of people.

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 5418
Posted on Monday, January 21, 2008 - 12:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

slightly off topic, but has anyone noticed the new banner?

Craig
Username: Craig

Post Number: 649
Posted on Monday, January 21, 2008 - 2:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was once stuck in train compartment with East Germans who insisted that they'd never heard of Detroit. Not the Motor City, not the Arsenal of Democracy, nothing. A little spark to Motown music personalities, but otherwise they'd never heard of us. I wrote it off to Red propoganda.

Bob
Username: Bob

Post Number: 1657
Posted on Monday, January 21, 2008 - 2:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not to mention being one of the largest Middle Eastern populations outside the Middle East. How about the large international turnout at the Electronic Music Festival every year.

D_mcc

Post Number: 142
Posted on Monday, January 21, 2008 - 2:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^^ Untill Daft Punk shows up...we're just another festival with flashing lights and a blown out subwoofer ;)

Parkguy

Post Number: 209
Posted on Monday, January 21, 2008 - 3:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Daft Punk is playing at my house."

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

D_mcc

Post Number: 143
Posted on Monday, January 21, 2008 - 4:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LCD Soundsystem

sweet

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 6186
Posted on Monday, January 21, 2008 - 4:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well it looks like LY is talking apples and oranges again...

Rome was the capital of Roman Empire from before the time of the Caesars until the fall of the empire to Theodoric in the late 5th century. During the time of the Augustan and Flavian emperors it maintained a population of over 1,000,000 people, making Rome the largest city in the world for several centuries.

It underwent a steady period of decline in the dark ages (starting circa 500AD) that brought the population down to less than 25,000.

This low population level was maintained until the eve of the Renaissance... while centuries earlier other great Italian cities such as Milan, Florence, Genoa, Pisa and Naples all exceeded Rome in size and power (Florence alone had over 130,000 people during the high Medici period). Although the great artists of the Renaissance visited Rome to work on commission, the majority of them were from the other greater Italian cities of the era.

The population of Rome didn't reach the million mark again (since Roman times) until the late 18th/early 19th century. That's nearly a period of about 1,500 years from where Rome went from being the largest city in the world, down to being a provincial backwater for over 1,000 years, to again being the largest city in Italy, although only in the top 20-30 cities in the world today.

Now granted this has nothing to do with Detroit... but LY it puts into perspective your silly post about Rome... which no one even mentioned to begin with?

Rome underwent over a thousand years of decline. Detroit has undergone only about 54 years of population decline (so far). So how do you reconcile your comments with the actual history of Rome versus the history of Detroit?... Apples and oranges!

Parkguy

Post Number: 210
Posted on Monday, January 21, 2008 - 4:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you compare cities like Dallas or Houston to Detroit (maybe even Miami/Dade, FL), the main difference, besides fire ants and ungodly humidity, is that Texas laws allow cities to more easily annex unincorporated areas. So, as soon as development plans are issued, Houston gobbles up the area. In Michigan, home rule "rules" so artificial political boundaries allow residents to easily "leave" Detroit, which just means they have eluded the costs of dealing with problems. Detroit is the five-and-a-half million people in this spread-out region, whether they want to admit it or not. This fact was really crystalized for me by the Shrinking Cities installation last year. It also reminded me of an article I read years and years ago-- actually, in the late '60s-- advocating living in suburban Los Angeles and taking advantage of city amenities without having to deal with the drawbacks of city living. The article actually called it "guerilla" living-- raiding the city of its value then retreating. Repeat as needed. That really stuck with me. Even my young, suburban mind at that time thought it was a low idea. Maybe the article was satirical and I didn't quite catch it.

I still think Detroit is a major world city with wide-spread impact and influence on the US and the world.

D_mcc

Post Number: 144
Posted on Monday, January 21, 2008 - 5:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree Parkguy, when I went to shrinking cities at Cranbrook last year, I was appalled...the video installation, as well as the graphics with the banks was stunning...

D_mcc

Post Number: 145
Posted on Monday, January 21, 2008 - 5:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree Parkguy, when I went to shrinking cities at Cranbrook last year, I was appalled...the video installation, as well as the graphics with the banks was stunning...

Downtown_remix

Post Number: 586
Posted on Monday, January 21, 2008 - 7:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think Detroit is on the verge of Global status---again. once an Empire always an Empire. Not because of the Way of life per-say, but based on Detroits enormous history, Its unique blend of cultures, and its international border neighbor-CANADA.
We just never bothered to re-invent the WHEEL. The automobile was suppose to take the city of Detroit to the status of NEW YORK AN CHICAGO. Things started changing decades ago and RACE played a heavy hand in DETROITS decline.

Now its 2008. Half of downtown buildings are gone. Yet a very sexy cluster of great buildings remain. What makes downtown Detroit unique is the fact that so many smaller building have been torn down, you get unique angles of theaters and skyscrapers that otherwise would not sit on its own block.

1. Downtown is cleared and ready for big development.

2. Belle Isle has more support than ever with the return of the Grand Prix.(money)

3. Detroits main drag, Woodward is finally becoming full of life. (money)

4. Population surge in Greater Downtown, while the rest of the region shrink.(money)

5. Massive restorations/renovations of major destination points, Book Cadillac, Pick Fort Shelby, Capital Park, United Artist Theater Brush Park, Eastern Market(money)

6. The creation of The River Walk.

7. 100% brand new airport.

8. Lite rail beginning on Woodward

9. Port authority. (money)

10. Centralization of key high tech companies into downtown detroit, most moving from several surrounding suburbs. (money

and number 11. and most important. A change in perception. We have a long way to go, yet we have come quite far. (money)

Scooter2k7
Username: Scooter2k7

Post Number: 65
Posted on Saturday, February 02, 2008 - 8:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

According to Wikipedia the Detroit-Windsor area is the largest international metropolitan area in the world. How can we be apart of the largest international metro area and not be considered an international city? Thats Wikipedia for ya!

Downtown_remix

Post Number: 594
Posted on Sunday, February 03, 2008 - 9:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

we are just 30 years behind the times. The states shut downlast year marks Detroit's return to the states focus on economic potential.

Jasoncw
Username: Jasoncw

Post Number: 480
Posted on Sunday, February 03, 2008 - 3:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Downtown_Remix, the things you've listed are good for Detroit, but are nowhere near the same scale as other cities.

1. http://skyscraperpage.com/diag rams/?3469037 That is big development.

2. Belle Isle is a great park, but you'll find parks just as great or greater in other cities.

3. Woodward is less dead then before, but still dead. Any street in any of those other cities is busier than Woodward.

4. There is no population "surge" downtown. Other cities have more units in single buildings they're building than all of our new projects combined.

5. Other cities never had these buildings deteriorate, and on top of that, are building new and even bigger buildings. They've already caught up with what they've lost.

6. Other cities have had nice riverfronts for a long time.

7. Other cities are also building new terminals.

8. Other cities have subways, light rail, bullet trains, etc.

9. Our Port Authority is struggling to get a little dock going, while 30 years ago New York's built the World Trade Center.

10. Other cities' downtowns are too expensive to justify high tech industrial campuses, they're building skyscrapers in their midtowns.

11. Our perception is getting a little better, but is still horrible. Compare Detroit's reputation with Chicago's, or any other city, and it's worse (except for maybe Saginaw).

Now, I don't agree with that list (I think either some cities should be lower, or Detroit should be higher), and Detroit does have a global influence, but it's not on the same par as most of those cities.

Toog05
Username: Toog05

Post Number: 180
Posted on Sunday, February 03, 2008 - 4:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree Jason, the development we have now is definitely good for the city but still behind what's going on in other cities.

Downtown_remix

Post Number: 595
Posted on Sunday, February 03, 2008 - 5:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

where in America is there a park camparable to belle isle?set between 2 countries?

Woodward ave is by no means world status, but based on future an current developement, Woodward will be our main street magnet. lets say by 2015

Heart Plaza renovation
Campus Martius
Caddilac Center
Fox Town
Ball Parks
Quicken Loan Headqarters
Brush Park
Midtown
Medical Center
Cultural Center
Commuter rail to A.A
Wayne State

Jasoncw
Username: Jasoncw

Post Number: 481
Posted on Sunday, February 03, 2008 - 6:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All of those things are a big deal to Detroiters, but most major cities have them, and most of those things are not significant to random people living in Germany, or China, or South Africa, or Brazil, or anywhere outside of Metro Detroit or the Midwest.

Our medical and cultural center has a larger influence, but many cities also have them as well, and are also influential.

And aside from just global influence, those things you listed are nice, but other cities have those things and more.

Hart Plaza renovation: Most cities have large public plazas. And that you add "renovation" to the end of it shows that you think it has been un-noteworthy for the last 50 years it's been there.
Campus Martius: It's a successful urban park/plaza, and most cities have more than one of them.
Caddilac Center: The idea that Cadillac Center is our BIG project is pathetic. Click on the link in my last post for what BIG projects are in functional cities.
Fox Town: Most cities have theater districts like that, while ours is nice.
Ball Parks: Functional cities don't have sport facilities downtown because they have *buildings* downtown.
Quicken Loan Headquarters: Quicken Loans is important for downtown, but other cities have had their major companies downtown all along.
Brush Park: If Detroit was functional, Brush park would have been replaced with office towers and apartments long ago, or at least the mansions would not be abandoned.
Midtown: Some lots are so valueless that even parking lots are unprofitable.
Medical Center: Most major cities have medical centers in/near downtown.
Cultural Center: Same thing.
Commuter rail to A.A: Functional cities are capable of scrounging together more than one cohesive rail line.
Wayne State: Most cities have universities in them.

Downtown_remix

Post Number: 596
Posted on Sunday, February 03, 2008 - 6:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the only reason we are not considered "global" is almost everything surrounding our "great things" are in shambles. Yes many cities have all the things an more that we have.

our parks, our medical centers, our cultural district, our sports district, our theater districts, our central business disricts,casino resorts, riverfront, our history have been ignored and bashed for many decades,

but as greater downtown becomes a working,living partying center

as Wayne stete continues to expand north an south

as belle isle gains popularity an money for improvements

as big projects get completed this year; Book cadillac hotel, greektown casino hotel,pik fort shelby hotel, cadillac center Airport terminal, Port Authority, commuter rail, woodward restoration, we more closer to ormality,,, many would love to come back to Detroit, and its only time that awaits detroits real comback

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.