Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Get rid of that fist statue » Archive through December 09, 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 3387
Posted on Saturday, December 08, 2007 - 7:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love the fist. It's beautiful.

Detroithabitater
Username: Detroithabitater

Post Number: 77
Posted on Saturday, December 08, 2007 - 7:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm going to agree.

When people see it I doubt they think "gee, that joe louis was a great boxer".

Lifeinmontage
Username: Lifeinmontage

Post Number: 45
Posted on Saturday, December 08, 2007 - 7:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This coming from someone who wants to build a new bridge in the back yard of the RenCen and make it a new Detroit "landmark"?

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 1011
Posted on Saturday, December 08, 2007 - 7:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^^Wow, let me check out that thread for some excitement!

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 4125
Posted on Saturday, December 08, 2007 - 7:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can think of a lot of other things that are wrong with Detroit. Leave the fist. Besides, it's only gesturing towards Canada.

Texorama
Username: Texorama

Post Number: 112
Posted on Saturday, December 08, 2007 - 7:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like the fist and always take people to see it when they visit. Put it together with the Underground Railroad terminus statues, the Spirit of Detroit, and the Soldiers & Sailors monument, and you have a little collection of public art that reflects something of the place where they're located and doesn't look like any other city's. The one I would take out is the big metal circle across Jefferson.

(Message edited by texorama on December 08, 2007)

Gsgeorge
Username: Gsgeorge

Post Number: 387
Posted on Saturday, December 08, 2007 - 7:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jack, are you from Alaska or Ohio?

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 3388
Posted on Saturday, December 08, 2007 - 7:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't see it as a threat, but a simple statement of strength. It's beautiful in its symmetry, it's beautiful because of its simplicity. Liked it the first time I saw it, like it now.

NO! Leave the Labor Monument alone. I love walking through the quote stones.

Rampartstreetnorth
Username: Rampartstreetnorth

Post Number: 69
Posted on Saturday, December 08, 2007 - 8:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Fist is entirely appropriate for Detroit, as is the "big circle" (actually a UAW monument to leaders of social change) across the street.

Detroit has long been a haven for and generator of advocates of radical social change, and that is a process characterized by conflict. When I see the fist I associate it with the blows against Aryanism landed by Joe Louis in his fights against Max Schmeling. When I read the names inscribed within the circle I think of how different this country would be without them. Those two (as well as the Underground Railroad monument a little upriver) are emblems of Detroit's essential radicalism, and as such they tell an important part of the story of this city.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 4128
Posted on Saturday, December 08, 2007 - 8:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just look at them as tributes to a history that cannot be erased. As for the big circle, I'll just say that the 'essential radicalism' it reminds us of it not the thing we need to be dwelling on these days. That said, radicalism does mark a lot of Detroit's social history, so a monument which evokes that history for better or for worse is fine.

Texorama
Username: Texorama

Post Number: 113
Posted on Saturday, December 08, 2007 - 8:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Have nothing against, and indeed welcome, a monument to labor leaders and the changes they brought about. But I don't see that the circle evokes that in any meaningful way--I've thought of it as detritus of the modernism that people were told to like but never did.

This said, I'm interested that people spoke up for it. People always argue about the fist, and the big fountain in Hart Plaza has earned its place. But I never see people looking at or talking about or walking through the UAW monument--I'll take another look.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 2371
Posted on Saturday, December 08, 2007 - 9:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fist looks lifelike and much better than that Calder boiler explosion. If you want to get rid of something, that's the one to dump in the river.

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 441
Posted on Saturday, December 08, 2007 - 9:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

IMHO the entire Woodward and Jefferson area is a cluster fuck of mixed messages and lack of thematic cohesion. You may like the fist, The Spirit of Detroit, the water donut, the Armenian Priest, the naked lady, etc., etc. but the whole mish-mash is mash-up of themes, styles, messages and concepts. In our desire to honor all, we honor none.

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 5226
Posted on Saturday, December 08, 2007 - 9:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, first they need to get rid of that farking United Way statue thingy. What the hell is it supposed to be? Personally I think that whole intersection needs to be redone.

Rampartstreetnorth
Username: Rampartstreetnorth

Post Number: 70
Posted on Saturday, December 08, 2007 - 9:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've always thought that the big circle looks like a huge piston ring. That's particularly appropriate for both Detroit and the UAW.

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 3244
Posted on Saturday, December 08, 2007 - 9:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like the fist, it shows Canada who's the Boss

Gnome

Post Number: 442
Posted on Saturday, December 08, 2007 - 9:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh I forgot about the indian with the canoe, and the United Way Eternal flame that rarely works, looks like it's just about to tip over and shorts out once a week.

Gnome

Post Number: 443
Posted on Saturday, December 08, 2007 - 9:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The fist is so much as ugly, as violent, and to top things off it reminds me of a bad trip to the proctologist.

It would be more representative of the fine citizens of San Fansisco.

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 3389
Posted on Saturday, December 08, 2007 - 10:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What a nasty little analogy.

The Labor Legacy is supposed to be a gear, and itsn't representative only of the UAW. Walk through and read the quotes. It is for all workers.

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 5227
Posted on Saturday, December 08, 2007 - 10:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Dodge Fountain, when working, is still the highlight of that little area.

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 3129
Posted on Saturday, December 08, 2007 - 10:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

IMHO the entire Woodward and Jefferson area is a cluster fuck of mixed messages and lack of thematic cohesion.

So what are you saying, all the art in a city has to "match"? Says who?

Gsgeorge

Post Number: 391
Posted on Saturday, December 08, 2007 - 10:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gnome, what are you even talking about? Ditto Pam.

Dannyv
Username: Dannyv

Post Number: 52
Posted on Saturday, December 08, 2007 - 11:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The fist is a bare hand. Joe Louis didn't fight in the era of bare-handed, gloveless boxing. If it's a tribute to Joe Louis, then it should have a boxing glove on it. What it's become and the reason for it being where it is, in front of the Coleman Young Municipal Building, it is a symbol of black power in Detroit. When I take people thru downtown to check out the sights, I tell them it's a symbol of the unofficial motto of Detroit, "Arrive Armed".

Hans57
Username: Hans57

Post Number: 238
Posted on Sunday, December 09, 2007 - 12:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^^So it's you who's been perpetuating the Detroit hate.

Scs100
Username: Scs100

Post Number: 1511
Posted on Sunday, December 09, 2007 - 12:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Who says we hate Canada? Without them, I would not enjoy Saturday Nights as much as I do right now. Heck, I'm watching a good game between Pittsburgh and Vancouver right now thanks to CBC.

Leland_palmer
Username: Leland_palmer

Post Number: 421
Posted on Sunday, December 09, 2007 - 12:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A) It's not a raised fist
B) It's a tribute to a Joe Louis for crying out loud

How is it a symbol of black power? Try not to project your insecurities.

Scs100
Username: Scs100

Post Number: 1512
Posted on Sunday, December 09, 2007 - 12:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^Thank you.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 1022
Posted on Sunday, December 09, 2007 - 12:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Windsor and Detroit are like Ketchup and Mustard, Tick and Tock, Salt and Pepper. We're family basically. If one goes down, so does the other. If one rises, so does the other. No one's hating no one.

Gsgeorge

Post Number: 393
Posted on Sunday, December 09, 2007 - 12:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Even though I find it a symbol of black power, as Dannyv mentioned, and ashamed to show people my city because they have to see that ugly piece of trash, at least it's pointed towards Canada. Why not a statue of the finger? That might show Canada how we feel, but the people in Detroit would still call it art.

Wow! I think you should present your ideas to city council!

Can we get back to normal DetroitYes discussion now?

ps - Hating on Canada and flipping the bird is so kewl! lol!

Detroitrise

Post Number: 1024
Posted on Sunday, December 09, 2007 - 12:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gsgeorge, if you want normal, check out the New Bridge...New Landmark thread and see what Jackndabox had to say about us.

By the way, what is with all this Black Panther fist BS? It's just a fist in memory of Joe L. and basically showing that Detroit will always come out strong in the end. Forget all that other crap.