Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Get rid of that fist statue » Archive through December 09, 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Gsgeorge
Username: Gsgeorge

Post Number: 395
Posted on Sunday, December 09, 2007 - 1:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

oh I'm already there Detroitrise. I found the thread pointless from the start so I stayed away until just now.

Gsgeorge
Username: Gsgeorge

Post Number: 397
Posted on Sunday, December 09, 2007 - 1:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OPs disappearing like crazy!

censored

Jrvass
Username: Jrvass

Post Number: 350
Posted on Sunday, December 09, 2007 - 1:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Scs100,

I love HNIC... all it needs is the recorder and the 'Friendly Giant' tunes for the 'Hot Stove League' and 'After Hours'!

Craig
Username: Craig

Post Number: 558
Posted on Sunday, December 09, 2007 - 1:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dump the fist. It's triumphal nonsense that reinforces the decision of many who choose to avoid the City.

Old Red - other than a few (aside from me and you) none visit the labor monument? Other than Labor Day "the people" never visit. The art may be beautiful, but the people have voted and the monument is irrelevant.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 10939
Posted on Sunday, December 09, 2007 - 2:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Dump the fist. It's triumphal nonsense that reinforces the decision of many who choose to avoid the City.

People that see hate in the fist and use it as an excuse to avoid the city need to resolve their own issues as opposed to projecting them onto the city.

Mdoyle
Username: Mdoyle

Post Number: 282
Posted on Sunday, December 09, 2007 - 3:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jackindabox banned??? thank some higher power. That was the most useless 5 hours of my life. ha!

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 126
Posted on Sunday, December 09, 2007 - 4:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

put the fist next to the big bell in grand circus & ring the bell every time the tigers score.

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 4538
Posted on Sunday, December 09, 2007 - 5:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's a nice sculpture, but looks silly just hanging there. It needs to move, like Joe Louis'fists did.

My two ideas for improvement are:

Either add a coin operated slot that activates it to punch things (maybe a life size statue of George Bush as a monkey) or put at the head of the People Mover so that it goes round and round.

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 446
Posted on Sunday, December 09, 2007 - 7:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pam, if I thought the monumnents should "match" I would have said "match". Why do you feel the need to morph ridicule into almost every post?

I said, ...Woodward and Jefferson area is a cluster fuck of mixed messages that lack thematic cohesion.

I offer in contrast Grant Park in Chicago. Trod the pathway there; one flows from one public space to another, there is an intergration of monuments and space. Or the Mall in Washington, even SouthBeach in Miami has a visual flow to public space and how public art pieces are intergrated into one another.

Who knows that there is a monument to millions of murdered Armenians down there? Ever visit it? Ever read the plaque and the story of the martyred priest?

You should, it's only 20 feet away from the fist.

(Message edited by gnome on December 09, 2007)

Irish_mafia
Username: Irish_mafia

Post Number: 1151
Posted on Sunday, December 09, 2007 - 7:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is really a cluster that could stand a bit of thoughtful cohesion ....probably best done around the reconstruction as Ford Auditorium is torn down and Hart Plaza is redone.

Mwilbert
Username: Mwilbert

Post Number: 29
Posted on Sunday, December 09, 2007 - 8:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't think any of the sculpture is really bad--I think the fist would look better on a thin (as possible) single support rather than the contraption it is hanging from now; I don't know if the artist intended that method of display for some aesthetic/symbolic reason which escapes me, or if it is incidental, but the fist itself seems fine.

I agree that the area of Woodward/Jefferson intersection could use a some redesign, but I don't have any specific ideas about that. Actually, I have one: I think through traffic on Jefferson should run underground in front of Hart Plaza, leaving just a relatively narrow surface road. But that is probably technically infeasible, and in any case I don't imagine it is going to happen.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 2332
Posted on Sunday, December 09, 2007 - 8:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

IMHO the entire Woodward and Jefferson area is a cluster fuck of mixed messages and lack of thematic cohesion. You may like the fist, The Spirit of Detroit, the water donut, the Armenian Priest, the naked lady, etc., etc. but the whole mish-mash is mash-up of themes, styles, messages and concepts. In our desire to honor all, we honor none.

quote:

It would be more representative of the fine citizens of San Fansisco.

quote:

Gnome, what are you even talking about?

I think he's trying to remind us of the famous quote from Coco Chanel:

quote:

"When matching accessories always take off the last thing you put on."

So get rid of that broken circle and rocks thing in Hart Plaza.

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 3130
Posted on Sunday, December 09, 2007 - 8:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Pam, if I thought the monumnents should "match" I would have said "match". Why do you feel the need to morph ridicule into almost every post?

I don't.

quote:

I said, ...Woodward and Jefferson area is a cluster fuck of mixed messages that lack thematic cohesion.

I offer in contrast Grant Park in Chicago. Trod the pathway there; one flows from one public space to another, there is an intergration of monuments and space. Or the Mall in Washington, even SouthBeach in Miami has a visual flow to public space and how public art pieces are intergrated into one another.

That is a better explanation than what you originally offered. Thank you.

quote:

Who knows that there is a monument to millions of murdered Armenians down there? Ever visit it? Ever read the plaque and the story of the martyred priest?

You should, it's only 20 feet away from the fist.

Yes I have.

Erikd
Username: Erikd

Post Number: 959
Posted on Sunday, December 09, 2007 - 9:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

What it's become and the reason for it being where it is, in front of the Coleman Young Municipal Building, it is a symbol of black power in Detroit. When I take people thru downtown to check out the sights, I tell them it's a symbol of the unofficial motto of Detroit, "Arrive Armed".

quote:

The fact that many people view the Joe Louis fist sculpture as a symbol of racial division and/or a representation of violence and hostility, is really quite sad.

The JL fist was commissioned with a $350,000 grant from Sports Illustrated magazine, and came as a gift to the city of Detroit.
--------------------

This sculpture is a tribute to a man who overcame terrible bigotry and racism, and broke down incredible racial barriers. Joe Louis is probably the most under-appreciated man in the history of American civil rights.

Without the accomplishments of Joe Louis paving the way, Jackie Robinson may have not had the opportunity to break the color barrier in baseball. Without Joe Louis, white Americans may have been less supportive of the civil rights movement.

When Joe Louis defeated Max Schmeling in 1938, he became an American hero, and disproved Hitler's claims of Aryan superiority.
---------------

The Joe Louis Fist pays homage to this man, who changed racial perceptions in America, and around the world.

All Americans, especially Detroiters, should look at that fist and remember the walls that it smashed down.

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 3390
Posted on Sunday, December 09, 2007 - 9:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What Erik said.

I'm downtown every night, and I walk through Hart Plaza almost every night. People are always in that area, looking at ALL OF THE PIECES (including the Labor monument). It all came together haphazardly, but that's Detroit, isn't it?

Pjazz
Username: Pjazz

Post Number: 100
Posted on Sunday, December 09, 2007 - 9:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well said Erikd the fist isn't about violence. It's about honoring someone who broke down walls. If you lived during that time or studied history you'd understand.

Scs100
Username: Scs100

Post Number: 1513
Posted on Sunday, December 09, 2007 - 10:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Scs100,

I love HNIC... all it needs is the recorder and the 'Friendly Giant' tunes for the 'Hot Stove League' and 'After Hours'

No better way to spend a Saturday! :-)

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 447
Posted on Sunday, December 09, 2007 - 10:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Boxing isn't violent? The Civil Rights struggle wasn't violent? Fighting Max Schmeling or against racism wasn't violent?

What part of non-violent does the fist represent? You can love the gosh darn thing, you can think it is the nicest piece of art in town, but I don't see how anyone can say the fist isn't violent.

Without violence you have no Joe Louis. Violence and Joe Louis are like peas and carrots, peanut butter and jelly ...

Craig

Post Number: 560
Posted on Sunday, December 09, 2007 - 10:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Qoute "Well said Erikd the fist isn't about violence. It's about honoring someone who broke down walls. If you lived during that time or studied history you'd understand."

But the fist is used as a symbol of something, and to deny it is to misunderstand history. It's "easy" to understand the symbolisms embedded in the Confederate battle flag. Why is it difficult to grasp the symbolism and placement of the Fist? I stand by what I said: triumphal nonsense. Egg-breaking art should not occupy our public squares.

(Message edited by craig on December 09, 2007)

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 4082
Posted on Sunday, December 09, 2007 - 10:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tearing down art is no way to build on a city's culture. Clearly it does what art is meant to, provoke response and thought. I grew up my whole life never thinking it represented "black power". It took racists to explain that to me, much like a child has no such thoughts until they are passed to him.

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 3134
Posted on Sunday, December 09, 2007 - 10:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I grew up my whole life never thinking it represented "black power". It took racists to explain that to me,

The black power fist points up, not sideways:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1 968_Olympics_Black_Power_salut e

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 4085
Posted on Sunday, December 09, 2007 - 11:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Right, wrong choice of words. Let me clarify:

I grew up my whole life never thinking it represented "black power". It took racists to tell me people actually feel that way about it.

Craig

Post Number: 561
Posted on Sunday, December 09, 2007 - 11:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I didn't say that the Fist is on par with the Battle Flag. The race-based symbolism is common to both. Interpret any way that you like, but don't deny the possibility that some regard the fist as I've described. Point me to a credible critic of Zev Chafets' interpretation of the Fist and our regions politics and I might be able to understand your POV.

JL - to be fair I'll advocate a wrecking ball for every public monument failing the 100%-agree test. This is what the public schools are doing with the traditional holidays, anyway, so the general sanitizing is already well under way.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 3202
Posted on Sunday, December 09, 2007 - 11:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I always look at people's reaction to the fist as an inclusivity litmus test. If they are threatened by it they fail.

Craig

Post Number: 562
Posted on Sunday, December 09, 2007 - 11:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote "I always look at people's reaction to the fist as an inclusivity litmus test. If they are threatened by it they fail."

By that logic the failure to understand the perspective of others can serve as a litmus test for intellectual capacity and objectivity.

Erikd
Username: Erikd

Post Number: 961
Posted on Sunday, December 09, 2007 - 11:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Joe Louis was a great fighter and I'm sure a good man but to put him in the same category as Thurgood Marshall, Martin Luther King, or even Jackie Robinson (who spent his post-baseball career as a activist and advocate for economic empowerment in the black community) is absurd.

I won't try to compare Joe Louis to Thurgood Marshall or Martin Luther King, but there is a valid link to Jackie Robinson.

Joe Louis was really the the first black man to transcend racial barriers, and be widely supported by white Americans.

quote:

On June 22, 1938, a rematch with Max Schmeling was set up. This time Joe trained in earnest. The country was caught up in the symbolism of a black man fighting the representative of Nazi Germany's master race. Everyone was backing Joe Louis. He embodied the American ideal of a poor boy born in a log cabin. Two minutes, f our seconds into the first round, Schmeling went down and didn't get up. Joe Louis had redeemed himself and upheld the honor of the United States as the countries inched closer towards war.

http://info.detnews.com/histor y/story/index.cfm?id=52&catego ry=sports

Before Joe Louis, "negroes" were widely viewed as second-class and inferior.

When Joe Louis beat Max Schmeling, it changed the mindset and attitudes of many white Americans. Joe Louis wasn't just some "negro", he was an American hero. He was an American champion. He was an AMERICAN.

Plymouthres
Username: Plymouthres

Post Number: 297
Posted on Sunday, December 09, 2007 - 11:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is probably the stupidest thread that I have ever read! Get rid of the fist? WTF? I swear that sometimes when I read these threads the most ridiculous stuff comes out of peoples mouths(or their fingers, in this case!).

Art is just what it is:art. It is someone's interpretation of an ideal that they hold dear and often evokes strong responses such as have been stated here. To say that one piece of art is "better" than another is just pure hogwash.
It is a matter of personal taste.

That being said, this monument to Joe Louis is appropriate and represents one of the greatest men, black or white, to have ever graced this city with their presence. His statue at Cobo is also appropriate.Perhaps we forget that he stood against what ALL people stood against in those days-the Third Reich and their superiority over the world.

Apparently, when that fist is mistaken for the Black Power movement, people were not watching the Olympics in 1972. I distinctly remember the "raised fists" then as a symbol of anti-establishment thinking, and the Joe Louis fist representation is not that same scenario at all.

This thread, however, is a clear example of intolerance and misunderstanding. It is also a sad example of the "anchor" that so many of us here drag around with us.

If we want to be better, than we need to stop this childish BS.

Gnome-

Not that she needs to be defended, but Pam was the first one in a thread about the Armenian Genocide a few back to point out the existence of the Father Gomidas statue acknowledging the Genocide and his involvement in it. I may not agree with everything I have read that she has written, but she does know what she is talking about, and has added significantly to many threads on this forum.

Lastly, I think back to a couple of years ago when a couple of drunken suburbanites tried to make the same arguments with some white paint that I have read here. They clearly showed their disrespect for the black community and painted all whites with a very broad brush. Not all white people think the sam way.........

At SOME point we will ALL need each other. What will we do then?