Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Ice on sidwalks in front of abandoned buildings « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Spidergirl
Username: Spidergirl

Post Number: 320
Posted on Monday, December 10, 2007 - 1:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Who is responsible for salting the sidewalks in front of abandoned buildings in the CBD? Is is the owner's? I'm guessing not the city's?

This morning I watched as a bunch of people walking to work tried not to slip and fall in front of the old Kresge building at 1201 Woodward.

Do we all need to buy those slip-on ice grips???

Gsgeorge
Username: Gsgeorge

Post Number: 414
Posted on Monday, December 10, 2007 - 1:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Who is responsible for salting the sidewalks in front of abandoned buildings in the CBD?

HA! That's a good one.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 1037
Posted on Monday, December 10, 2007 - 1:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I figure it's the city of Detroit's responsibility to salt the streets and sidewalks. They clean them up just fine. The Financial district was all clear. I guess there just being spotty and lazy with keeping downtown clean and not icy (only picking the hot spots).

Diehard
Username: Diehard

Post Number: 217
Posted on Monday, December 10, 2007 - 1:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, good luck with that. I walked to the office from the bus stop VERY carefully this morning and made sure I avoided the big offenders.
Don't worry, it'll melt by April.

Rax
Username: Rax

Post Number: 43
Posted on Monday, December 10, 2007 - 2:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe its Roger Penske's responsibility.

Informed
Username: Informed

Post Number: 2
Posted on Monday, December 10, 2007 - 2:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I should hope that adults in this city or anywhere would be able to get from point A to point B without falling down what ever the season is. How about take care when walking and get over your "let somebody else take over" fever.

Cub
Username: Cub

Post Number: 97
Posted on Monday, December 10, 2007 - 2:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What! Welcome, but what are you talking about? Homeowners and business owners are responsible for clearing the walkways in front of their properties.

(Message edited by cub on December 10, 2007)

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 4137
Posted on Monday, December 10, 2007 - 2:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Informed, that's harsh. Where are you right now? It's pretty damn bad where I am. It's an extremely thin coat of glare ice and the conditions are unpredictable. A lot of treated sidewalks are fine but if you get too close to the curb it's still icy. Plus with conditions alternating between treated and untreated every 40-50 feet you get caught off guard. In Ann Arbor this morning I had to walk in the street or across lawns to get to class. A number of people are slipping/falling and it's ugly...and yes, there are liabilities for property owners.

I pity the person who didn't know it was freezing rain and walked out our apartment house door and fell on our untreated steps (with an ice-covered railing with which to hold on to). Thanks, landlord.

I don't believe CoD is responsible for downtown sidewalks. Why would they be. Even in cities where they plow your sidewalk the property owner is responsible for making it passable and ice-free.

More freezing rain tomorrow!

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 5869
Posted on Monday, December 10, 2007 - 2:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL... looks like Informed has never been to a hospital emergency room... they're loaded with people who didn't heed his words of wisdom... and fell...

Pffft
Username: Pffft

Post Number: 1423
Posted on Monday, December 10, 2007 - 2:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Most of us could take a fall or two on an icy sidewalk and just bear some ugly bruises, but think of the elderly people who can't shut themselves in for three months. A fall could be devastating for an older person, leading to broken bones and disability.

Try a little empathy.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 4104
Posted on Monday, December 10, 2007 - 2:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can say this, you will always have an enjoyable walk in front of MY house. Once you pass my property line, however, you're on your own! :-)

A couple houses down from us, this lady planted all these tall bee-attracted flowers along both sides of the sidewalk this summer. There was no way through! I called it "Bee Alley". We would have to detour through the street on our walks.

Gsgeorge
Username: Gsgeorge

Post Number: 422
Posted on Monday, December 10, 2007 - 2:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yeah just walk on the street. people do it all the time.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 3207
Posted on Monday, December 10, 2007 - 4:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Winter's not over until I fall at least once on an icy walk.

Lukabottle
Username: Lukabottle

Post Number: 122
Posted on Monday, December 10, 2007 - 10:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sometimes the City fines the owners. Mike Higgins got popped for that several years ago.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 4141
Posted on Monday, December 10, 2007 - 10:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They absolutely should. It's $$ and its the right thing to do.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.