Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » DDOT and SMART full system map « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Gsgeorge
Username: Gsgeorge

Post Number: 413
Posted on Monday, December 10, 2007 - 1:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've searched DDOT's website and can't find a PDF of the full system map. Someone tell me why SMART is ahead of the curve with this? Also, DDOT's "trip planner" function doesn't work.

Does anyone want to be kind enough to provide me with one, or perhaps be a really cool person and integrate both the DDOT and SMART maps together into one convenient, region-wide, full-system map?

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 2114
Posted on Monday, December 10, 2007 - 1:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Also, DDOT's "trip planner" function doesn't work."

Hasn't for a long while actually.

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 943
Posted on Monday, December 10, 2007 - 1:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I got this from the Detroit Transit History web site, and it is only slightly out of date (for instance it shows bus service to Belle Isle, which there no longer is), but it will serve reasonably well for a DDOT map. It is less outdated than the one DDOT hands out at its HQ. The link to it is at the bottom of this message (it is too big to post here).

It is actually kinda complicated to try to make a good DDOT/SMART combined map, because DDOT's routes are (relatively) very dense within a (relatively) small area, whereas SMART's routes are exceedingly sparse and cover an immense area. So having a map of each may be the best you can do.

By the way, I realize it is inconvenient for some that this map hand-waves downtown, but I didn't make it, I'm just posting a link to it; and overall it is a very useful map IMVHO.

Prof. Scott

http://detroittransithistory.i nfo/DDOT-SystemMap2006.jpg

Gsgeorge

Post Number: 420
Posted on Monday, December 10, 2007 - 2:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thanks prof.

Professorscott

Post Number: 944
Posted on Monday, December 10, 2007 - 2:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Since there's no combined map, and the one I sent the link to doesn't cover downtown, here's a bit more info. The downtown transfer situation is complicated, but will get better when the Rosa Parks TC opens. Right now it's like this:

DDOT to DDOT - most transfers can be made either at Woodward at Larned (eastbound) or Congress (westbound), or at Capitol Park. Tell your driver what route you're transferring to and he will tell you where to do it.

SMART to SMART - all east-west routes cross Woodward at Larned (eastbound) and Congress (westbound), so that is a decent transfer point for all rides.

SMART to or from DDOT - if your DDOT bus crosses Woodward at the same place as the SMART buses, there you go. Else you can walk to or from Capitol Park, or use one of these DDOT routes as a shuttle (these are the only three routes that pass both places every trip in both directions): 34 Gratiot, 40 Russell, 48 Van Dyke-Lafayette. The Gratiot bus is every 10 minutes at peak times and every 15 minutes mid-day weekdays, so you won't have to wait long.

If you're walking, Capitol Park is a block and a half west-northwest of Campus Martius (State and Griswold).

Nainrouge
Username: Nainrouge

Post Number: 541
Posted on Monday, December 10, 2007 - 5:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.datadetroit.org/Web site/DCDC_Maps/viewer.asp?titl e=Transportation&OVMap=Detroit _OV&Service=Transportation

You have to zoom in and pan around to make sense of it though...

Upinottawa
Username: Upinottawa

Post Number: 1034
Posted on Monday, December 10, 2007 - 5:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As you are aware, downtown Detroit is also served Transit Windsor. The "Tunnel Bus" route map is as follows:

http://www.citywindsor.ca/Disp layAttach.asp?AttachID=8453

(actually the above linked map is terrible)

(Message edited by upinottawa on December 10, 2007)

Rocket_city
Username: Rocket_city

Post Number: 499
Posted on Monday, December 10, 2007 - 6:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Man, look at Livonia on that map. What a bunch of gabronies. No wonder no companies want to grow their business there. "Oh, we'll offer super duper incentives by building you a parking garage paradise if you stay in Livonia...that way you can be servants to us!"

Sorry for the rant...had to vent.

Trainman
Username: Trainman

Post Number: 589
Posted on Monday, December 10, 2007 - 9:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rocket_city

The DARTA supporters at city hall said that local taxes are needed to bring in federal transit grants and this is what caused the voters to vote NO. Almost everyone laughed and knew this was an outright lie.

Prov 17:28
Even a fool who keeps silent is considered wise; when he closes his lips, he is deemed intelligent.

Lukabottle
Username: Lukabottle

Post Number: 121
Posted on Monday, December 10, 2007 - 10:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are you trying to go somewhere specifically? Let Detroit Yes be your trip finder.

Gsgeorge

Post Number: 425
Posted on Monday, December 10, 2007 - 10:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Upinottawa, I always see the Transit Windsor bus outside the RenCen and think it would be cool to take it over the border... but I never see anyone inside... I hope they don't discontinue the service for lack of ridership.

Lukabottle-- Aside from an interest in seeing the physical extent of the DDOT and SMART systems, I'm trying to get from Second/Amsterdam to Vernor/Junction with a minimal number of transfers.

Also, when the new transit center is completed, will all downtown bus transfers be done there?

Professorscott

Post Number: 946
Posted on Monday, December 10, 2007 - 11:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gsgeorge,

The answer to your last question is "most of them". Certainly all the transfers now made at Capitol Park, plus SMART transfers and the Windsor Tunnel Bus.

Depending on the time of day, you can make the trip you want with a single transfer, or else a single transfer and a one and a half block walk. It can't be done with zero transfers unless you like to walk a lot.

If between 6 a.m. and 10 a.m. or between 3 p.m. and 7 p.m. Take Woodward or Dexter (on Cass) inbound to Congress, wait at the stop on Congress just west of Woodward for the Vernor bus which comes every half hour. (Woodward is every 8 minutes, Dexter is every 12, take your pick.) The Vernor bus will drop you off right where you want to be.

If not at those times: Start with the Woodward or Dexter as usual, get off at Campus Martius, walk west to Capitol Park and wait on State Street just south of the rarely-occupied DDOT info booth.

To reverse, reverse.

By the way, the DDOT info line, 933-1300, is very helpful for such things. You can get recorded schedule info or (gasp) press 0 to talk to a live person, who can not only tell you how to make the trip and what time to catch the bus, but can tell you where your bus is right at the moment.

Professorscott

Post Number: 947
Posted on Monday, December 10, 2007 - 11:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

By the way, if you don't want to (or can't) walk the block and a half at non peak times, get off at Congress and you can take the Gratiot, Russell or Van Dyke-Lafayette, using it as a shuttle to get to Capitol Park. Of course, then you're making two transfers, but if you are unable or disinclined to make the walk, you can still get the trip accomplished. The same shuttle works in the opposite direction. These are the only three routes that stop both at Capitol Park and at Woodward and Congress/Larned every trip in both directions, so far as I have been able to determine.

Gsgeorge

Post Number: 428
Posted on Monday, December 10, 2007 - 11:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Prof, you really know the system well! I think I can manage the walk to CP. I'm fairly certain I can, but will DDOT let me bring my bike on each bus or just the Woodward?

Professorscott

Post Number: 948
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 12:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DDOT does not, in general, have any way to accommodate bicycles. SMART does, completely, but with the trip you described you are all DDOT.

I had not been aware DDOT even could accommodate bicycles on Woodward. This is somewhat odd, by the way, because nearly every big city transit system has some way of dealing with this. I guess since we're the second or third fattest city, the powers that be assume we are not, for the most part, bicycling.

Gsgeorge

Post Number: 429
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 12:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I must be thinking of the SMART bus that runs down Woodward then. You can probably tell but I don't take the bus often--i.e. NEVER--but hopefully this will now change with this info. I hope they deal with this soon, it would probably increase ridership and all it takes is that funky cage thing on the front.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.