Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Helping Hands for the Homeless « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

French777
Username: French777

Post Number: 277
Posted on Monday, December 10, 2007 - 5:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My church and I are starting a drive to raise money and to gather unused Blankets, Toothpaste, Water bottles, Snacks, Mc D gift cards to give to homeless people.

Where is a good place to Donate too

p.s These people are from Bloomfield Hills they don't really want to be in a "Bad" area. Any church in GREEKTOWN or Woodward Area would be fine.

Any ideas?

Jit
Username: Jit

Post Number: 9
Posted on Monday, December 10, 2007 - 6:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.cotsdetroit.org/

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 10958
Posted on Monday, December 10, 2007 - 6:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Capuchin is a good place.

The church on Jefferson just west of 375 has a warming shelter and seem to do a good job.

I think that St. Aloysius on Washington does a lot of good.

I think that St. Anne's in Corktown does a lot in the area.

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 7244
Posted on Monday, December 10, 2007 - 6:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

The church on Jefferson just west of 375 has a warming shelter and seem to do a good job

Stes Peter and Paul Jesuit

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 7245
Posted on Monday, December 10, 2007 - 6:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

St Patricks, off Woodward behind the Orchestra Place, does some marvelous things, especially for seniors.

Detroit Rescue Mission has been the recipient of several drives I've been involved in, although it is in a "bad" area.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 4139
Posted on Monday, December 10, 2007 - 6:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sounds great, but if you're just donating items, what does the location of your middleman matter? Because a couple people will have to drive the materials down to the city?

Choose whoever you think will do the most good and represent the goals of your church, and tell them to get over their fears/stigmas, lest they miss the opportunity to overcome fears and ignorance (which I'd hope is a goal).

French777
Username: French777

Post Number: 278
Posted on Monday, December 10, 2007 - 6:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where is the Detroit Rescue Mission?

Any contact info??

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 1042
Posted on Monday, December 10, 2007 - 7:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Where is the Detroit Rescue Mission?"

I believe in the Cass Corridor. It's right near the corner of M.L. King Jr. Boulevard and Cass Ave. (the address is on Stimson St. though).

http://www.drmm.org/

(Message edited by DetroitRise on December 10, 2007)

Magnasco
Username: Magnasco

Post Number: 231
Posted on Saturday, January 12, 2008 - 8:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Alternatives for Girls does great work downtown. They would be one of my first choices for anything.

http://www.alternativesforgirl s.org/

Rfban
Username: Rfban

Post Number: 236
Posted on Saturday, January 12, 2008 - 8:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"p.s These people are from Bloomfield Hills they don't really want to be in a "Bad" area. Any church in GREEKTOWN or Woodward Area would be fine."

UNBELIEVABLE

Crystal
Username: Crystal

Post Number: 93
Posted on Saturday, January 12, 2008 - 10:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Petercoseo,

You are new to this forum. Please take care when posting, especially when using such an offensive, hateful, and abusive term as "animals" to describe the homeless.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.