Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Get rid of that fist statue » Archive through December 10, 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Lukabottle
Username: Lukabottle

Post Number: 119
Posted on Monday, December 10, 2007 - 1:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I always saw the fist as strength and power, similar to Sstashmoo.

I never saw it as violence. I guess it is just a matter of past experience and history on how some one views it.
Definitely good art if just on this board, it causes such emotions.

If to others, it stirs emotions of the race divide, it definitely should not be taken down.
By removing the fist that some find ugly, you can not hide the ugly truth. We remain divided. We can't hide that from the rest of the world. Hopefully one day we can use the same symbol and see it as a solidarity symbol of race, suburb, country, etc. Either way, it is obviously a matter of perspective.

Exmotowner
Username: Exmotowner

Post Number: 436
Posted on Monday, December 10, 2007 - 1:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Iheartthed
I dont like your opinion anymore than you like mine. Its just an opinion bud. If it were a white fist maybe you would see why I feel the way I do. Why can't whites claim racism? TO ME, IT IS. Please re-read that TO ME IT IS RACISM AGAINST ME AS A WHITE MAN. It has a very loud meaning! Not gonna change my mind bud.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 2342
Posted on Monday, December 10, 2007 - 2:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^Please shut up. You are making white people look bad.

Exmotowner

Post Number: 437
Posted on Monday, December 10, 2007 - 2:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is the fist in the original place? Seems to me before I moved, it was parellel with Jefferson (right in the median) over more by COBO and facing towards it? Anyone know?

Exmotowner

Post Number: 438
Posted on Monday, December 10, 2007 - 2:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Iheartthed, I have my opinion just like you do and last time I checked I still have a right to voice it. I would never tell you to shut up. The fist bothers me. My opinion.

Iheartthed

Post Number: 2347
Posted on Monday, December 10, 2007 - 2:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would never say something this stupid:

quote:

f it were a white fist maybe you would see why I feel the way I do. Why can't whites claim racism? TO ME, IT IS. Please re-read that TO ME IT IS RACISM AGAINST ME AS A WHITE MAN. It has a very loud meaning! Not gonna change my mind bud.

Especially when you know full well that the sculpture is a tribute to Joe Louis and not some slight against white people. So I guess we are at an impasse.

Exmotowner

Post Number: 439
Posted on Monday, December 10, 2007 - 2:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

your right We can agree to disagree, because we truly do. I'm sorry I feel this way for sure, but do you want me to lie and say "Oh yea its 100% a tribute to Joe louis"? is it not ok to say how it makes me feel? Art is suppose to make you feel something, and I know what it makes me feel. I cant change that and Im sure Im not the only person that has those same feelings. Yes we disagree. Lets leave it at that.

Informed
Username: Informed

Post Number: 4
Posted on Monday, December 10, 2007 - 2:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In Paris they sell little Tower's and in New York they sell little Empire State Buildings, in London little Taxi's, etc. I hope somebody starts making little fists so I can tell people where to go and purchase one and stick up their white backside. I think the fist is just fine and if you are offended by it then to bad.

Gsgeorge
Username: Gsgeorge

Post Number: 421
Posted on Monday, December 10, 2007 - 2:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i'd rather buy little Spirit of Detroits, personally.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 4100
Posted on Monday, December 10, 2007 - 2:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Totally innapropriate.

I'm not sure what your first 3 posts here were, but your 4th makes a terrible first impression.

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 2975
Posted on Monday, December 10, 2007 - 2:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Here's a thought, the next time someone asks what the fist is supposed to represent, respond that it's a tribute to Joe Louis. Joe Louis was a famous boxer."

And that's all that really needs to be said. Shoot, when I was young, I didn't even know Joe Louis was black...I kinda assumed he was white, probably just because my image of a boxer was largely shaped from the Rockey movies :P ...and it doesn't really matter either way

btw, do you guys remember a couple of years ago when two guys from down river painted the fist white? what was that all about? I remember they said it was a protest of violence, but were there any racial elements in their motive?

Iheartthed

Post Number: 2348
Posted on Monday, December 10, 2007 - 2:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

is it not ok to say how it makes me feel? Art is suppose to make you feel something, and I know what it makes me feel. I cant change that and Im sure Im not the only person that has those same feelings.

I think it says a lot about your disposition that you would continue to feel this fist is a slight against white people after it's true intent has been discussed here ad nauseum. It also allows us to put the other rhetoric that you (and your alter ego Jane) spew on this forum into perspective.

So I will say thank you for telling us how you really feel.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 4102
Posted on Monday, December 10, 2007 - 2:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It has certainly had its racial history... But so has our metro area unfortunately.

http://sports.espn.go.com/spor ts/boxing/news/story?id=174205 4

Rb336
Username: Rb336

Post Number: 3992
Posted on Monday, December 10, 2007 - 2:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Please re-read that TO ME IT IS RACISM AGAINST ME AS A WHITE MAN"

why? because you have a puny little mind? or is it something else?

the fist is a great piece of sculpture. I have always loved it. it is dynamic. too bad small-minded people have to inject it with their own hate

Exmotowner

Post Number: 441
Posted on Monday, December 10, 2007 - 2:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I dont hate anyone. Its just the way it makes me feel. You really dont have to resort to name calling. Its just a fucking opinion.

Cub
Username: Cub

Post Number: 99
Posted on Monday, December 10, 2007 - 3:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

White guys were fist bumping me all day yesterday at Ford Field so its a universal jesture. IMHO.

Rb336
Username: Rb336

Post Number: 3994
Posted on Monday, December 10, 2007 - 3:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

perhaps it is your own ignorance or false assumptions that make you feel how you feel. the only thing I can think of that would cause such a vitriolic reaction is hate

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 5870
Posted on Monday, December 10, 2007 - 3:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL... Johnlodge in reply to your post 4100, I came across one of them in the "salting downtown sidewalks" thread... same angry message...

Cheddar_bob
Username: Cheddar_bob

Post Number: 1536
Posted on Monday, December 10, 2007 - 4:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For some reason when I hear this:
quote:

f it were a white fist maybe you would see why I feel the way I do. Why can't whites claim racism? TO ME, IT IS. Please re-read that TO ME IT IS RACISM AGAINST ME AS A WHITE MAN. It has a very loud meaning! Not gonna change my mind bud.

I think of this...

Waaaaaaa!

Spitty
Username: Spitty

Post Number: 644
Posted on Monday, December 10, 2007 - 4:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I didn't link the fist bump to say it was a black thing or a white thing, just to demonstrate that it has come to be a peaceful gesture. I don't think this was the artist's intent, but it's kind of ironic in this context.

Exmotowner, just think of it as a hand reaching out to shake another hand. Maybe that will keep you from soiling your Hanes every time you pass it.

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 3143
Posted on Monday, December 10, 2007 - 6:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Please re-read that TO ME IT IS RACISM AGAINST ME AS A WHITE MAN"

Even if you think the fist is supposed to have a "black power" message, how does that equal "hate whitey"? That is not what the movement was about. Read some history books.

401don
Username: 401don

Post Number: 140
Posted on Monday, December 10, 2007 - 6:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whenever I bring someone new to town, they ask about the fist. It gives me a chance to explain that it's Joe Louis' fist and then give them a little history lesson. It's much better than a piece of "modern" art, or even a statue, neither of which ever generate any discussion.

Since we are the center of the auto industry, I would love to see a couple of auto sculptures downtown. Something classic like the Model T or a '57 chevy and something modern and sleek or maybe one from each of the big 3 displayed together. The cartunes art display was pretty cool last yr.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 1041
Posted on Monday, December 10, 2007 - 6:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's beyond crazy that a banned member has created such a racist and hateful thread. What's worse is that no one has even stepped up to be the bigger man or woman and point that out. Instead, everyone is acting like children because they are mis-interpreting the whole meaning of this thread. Instead, it's whity hate this and black power that. I never in my whole life met peole like this (well yes I have, over the internet). I bet in real life, you all would wear those fake masks and not even stir up something like this. That is my the world (not just Detroit) can't get anywhere.

Mwilbert
Username: Mwilbert

Post Number: 33
Posted on Monday, December 10, 2007 - 9:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

People (and especially people who post in online forums) like to vent and the fist is a kind of Rorschach test--what people see in it depends to a large extent on what they bring to it. It doesn't surprise me that we got some inflammatory comments about it.

I am kind of surprised Detroitrise hasn't met people like this in person. Maybe he/she is younger than I am!

In general the threads here seem reasonably civil.

Detroitinmyheart
Username: Detroitinmyheart

Post Number: 15
Posted on Monday, December 10, 2007 - 9:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I still like it. Sorry some of you feel threatened but I have to agree with others. Its not threatening at all.

For those of you that are intimidated by Joe's fist, please call the city of Detroit 24 hours in advance of your visit to the city as we have fashioned a boxing glove of leather to fit over Joe's for just such an occasion so no one's feeling are hurt.
Besides, baby its cold outside.

Please direct all mail to the King himself.

This has been a public service announcement of the City Of Detroit.

(Message edited by detroitinmyheart on December 10, 2007)

Craig
Username: Craig

Post Number: 567
Posted on Monday, December 10, 2007 - 9:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DR - who was banned? Didn't Old Red start this thread?

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 4021
Posted on Monday, December 10, 2007 - 9:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oldredfordette did not start this thread. Contrast her comment against the thread title.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 1049
Posted on Monday, December 10, 2007 - 10:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"DR - who was banned? Didn't Old Red start this thread?"

Jackndabox, now banned. He had nasty things to say about us because we disagreed with his screwball ideas.

Craig
Username: Craig

Post Number: 569
Posted on Monday, December 10, 2007 - 10:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow. I keep reading "you dumb racist" and the like above. What does someone have to say to get banned. Seems pretty arbitrary.

Plymouthres
Username: Plymouthres

Post Number: 307
Posted on Monday, December 10, 2007 - 10:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Also Miesfan was banned and all of his replies to this thread were deleted.

I think it had something to do with the fact that he didn't know that dumb shit was two words, not one.

He also didn't know the difference between the majors and the minors in baseball.